Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've thought just ordering a new one and giving the i7 to someone else, but then he'd win. Yes, I am that petty. This guy is like a toddler screaming "wanna bikky", and he's not getting his bikky from me. Luckily, he's cried wolf so many times no one takes him seriously anymore. Also, we're an SME so I don't really have an IT budget or a cost center I could charge against. Good thing the owner is very receptive to the argument of "We have a good machine, and he wants me to spend (your) money to get a new one".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Using jQuery in this yool 2019 is pissing me off

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

sixth and maimed posted:

I've thought just ordering a new one and giving the i7 to someone else, but then he'd win. Yes, I am that petty. This guy is like a toddler screaming "wanna bikky", and he's not getting his bikky from me. Luckily, he's cried wolf so many times no one takes him seriously anymore. Also, we're an SME so I don't really have an IT budget or a cost center I could charge against. Good thing the owner is very receptive to the argument of "We have a good machine, and he wants me to spend (your) money to get a new one".

He just wants a Macbook and he’s prepared to scream his way to the top until he gets one.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bigass Moth posted:

He just wants a Macbook and he’s prepared to scream his way to the top until he gets one.

The only Macbook in the office is the owner's and he manages it himself. I don't support Macs and they know it. Guy just likes being an rear end in a top hat (a.k.a. sales).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

Not just a MacBook, the newest MacBook so he can be the most advanced big dog on the corner (until the 2019 model is out).

A lot of people insist that newest is bestest.

If you really want to get under these people's skin, buy them a "new" laptop shortly before refreshes are typically announced, then buy some scrub in the company the even newer one a few weeks later.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

sixth and maimed posted:

would the performance drop be noticeable to a non IT person - I'd take pleasure in saying "you asked for it" and "standard build, not adding RAM etc go away lol"

but I can get away with that in my place...

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I had to briefly suppress laptop envy after seeing some new models floating around. Then I remembered my laptop does email and runs a VDI window and that's it, and there's literally no reason to upgrade it. The laptop perfectly fits my use case as long as the battery is fine.

It's me, I'm the reasonable actor in a world of chaotic IT bullshit.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ConfusedUs posted:

https://slackhq.com/say-hello-new-logo

I'm not sure what's worse: the fact that it's a bunch of multi-colored dicks in a pinwheel, or that there's a swastika in the negative space between them.

They're ducks, clearly

https://twitter.com/jamesm/status/1085825174182809600

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Yeah you're really reaching with saying this looks like penises and a swastika.

Totally my imagination, right.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I saw the swastika right away, it took this thread for me to see the dicks. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's actually four ducks sniffing the belly of the next duck in line.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I only see the ducks and it's hella cute.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ConfusedUs posted:

Totally my imagination, right.

Even then I barely see it. You're really searching here

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

I saw the swastika right away, it took this thread for me to see the dicks. :v:

:same:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I never miss the opportunity at a dick joke.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I never miss the opportunity at a dick joke.

Yeah, they're all funny, but Dick Pinwheel or Daisy Chain of rear end Eating Ducks is better than Unintentional Swastika.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

sixth and maimed posted:

Good thing the owner is very receptive to the argument of "We have a good machine, and he wants me to spend (your) money to get a new one".
It's a wonderful thing if you can ever put in the place the policy of "If you want something you have to go through your manager/boss".
It's like setting up a mini thunderdome of Hardass. Jr (Salesperson) vs. King Hardass (Director of sales) where they usually get told to shut the gently caress up unless there's a legit problem.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

sixth and maimed posted:

It's not petty, because you will never win. It's not as if just giving him a shiny new machine would suddenly make him a reasonable and rational person.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Iron Rose posted:

Even then I barely see it. You're really searching here

Congratulations, you're the reason dog whistles work.

Pay attention.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

carry on then posted:

Pay attention.

I'm Jewish and I don't see it either so sorry for supporting the Nazis at work at Slack. Should I report myself to a rabbi or what, I'm not sure the process here.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It's actually really easy to accidentally make one. It's such a basic design. Given the current political situation they need to make a public announcement though or they will seem to be siding with racists. It doesn't matter if it's intentional, after it's brought to your attention you change it. There was a campaign level in Starcraft 2 that the AI made a large swastika on the minimap due to the pathing if you just sat in the base, which I believe what you were supposed to do. It was patched out in a non descript way and everyone forgot about it. Just move the head so it touches the body, it'll tighten the image up but it will remove the offensive part.

I still have to really search for it without the lines though. It's not something that pops out to me. It's clearly not intentional, or the designer wanted to hide one and pull a fast one on management I guess. That seems extremely dumb and if you have a history of hiding that in your work, a quick way to never get hired again.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

pixaal posted:

It's actually really easy to accidentally make one. It's such a basic design. Given the current political situation they need to make a public announcement though or they will seem to be siding with racists. It doesn't matter if it's intentional, after it's brought to your attention you change it. There was a campaign level in Starcraft 2 that the AI made a large swastika on the minimap due to the pathing if you just sat in the base, which I believe what you were supposed to do. It was patched out in a non descript way and everyone forgot about it. Just move the head so it touches the body, it'll tighten the image up but it will remove the offensive part.

I still have to really search for it without the lines though. It's not something that pops out to me. It's clearly not intentional, or the designer wanted to hide one and pull a fast one on management I guess. That seems extremely dumb and if you have a history of hiding that in your work, a quick way to never get hired again.

I agree with all of this except I saw it immediately. Load announcement page, and my thought process was: that's not bad, wait, really, really, how the gently caress did they not catch the loving swastika, and lol it's dicks too, better post this on SA.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I had to briefly suppress laptop envy after seeing some new models floating around. Then I remembered my laptop does email and runs a VDI window and that's it, and there's literally no reason to upgrade it. The laptop perfectly fits my use case as long as the battery is fine.

It's me, I'm the reasonable actor in a world of chaotic IT bullshit.

I've caused laptop envy in my (software development) department because Dell laptops are standard and while I do have one of those, I also have a MacBook pro because I am doing iOS mobile development, and several people who are normally Mac users are jealous.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

carry on then posted:

Pay attention.

Tell me your opinions on DIA.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What lovely point-of-sales systems you have there!
What's that? Your endpoint protection suite is called "Windows defender"? No VPN? You have an innovative way of sending payment and customer information without a VPN? No SSL? CCNs are not stored locally so sending them unencrypted to whoever processes the transaction is fine?

Oh pardon me I just forgot to take my crazy pills this morning. I see everyone else is keeping up..ok we are deploying HOW MANY?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Heran Bago posted:

What lovely point-of-sales systems you have there!
What's that? Your endpoint protection suite is called "Windows defender"? No VPN? You have an innovative way of sending payment and customer information without a VPN? No SSL? CCNs are not stored locally so sending them unencrypted to whoever processes the transaction is fine?

Oh pardon me I just forgot to take my crazy pills this morning. I see everyone else is keeping up..ok we are deploying HOW MANY?

Everything else is crazypants but the bolded part seems great.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah, Windows Defender in Windows 10 is just fine.

If you can wrangle getting Defender ATP, that's even better.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I know Windows Defender is good for home use and is a better AV than a lot of paid options, but is it really better than like, Checkpoint or Symantec for a POS setup? I don't actually know but I doubt it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's less likely to have some horrific backdoor access to let malicious applications run as system with no further checks.

You have to wonder what you're protecting your Epos systems *from* though. Nobody should be able to plug in a USB drive, connect out to the web or connect inbound. If you're actually handling card data then you probably want to be looking at port security, physical security of the system to prevent them being removed etc.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 18, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You are honestly more likely to have a security flaw in something like Symantec that opens you up to more exposure rather than have better detection.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

I know Windows Defender is good for home use and is a better AV than a lot of paid options, but is it really better than like, Checkpoint or Symantec for a POS setup? I don't actually know but I doubt it.

Checkpoint

Symantec

Defender

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Heran Bago posted:

Taking an actual, physical dump on your POS would offer stronger protection than Symantec, and be less frustrating for literally everyone involved.

Aracat
Feb 21, 2006
das kittah
How about let's rearrange it a bit?

https://twitter.com/brianarn/status/1085635094616797184

Despite this, the left panel's color changing to the maroon was a lot more annoying because I have to look at that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I saw the swastika immediately too and just laughed. Its an obvious fuckup but just because you personally didn't see it doesn't mean its not obviously there.

I also agree it took me a lot longer to see the dicks.

E: On poo poo that's pissing me off it turns out our web developer/really wants to do network admin stuff has been breaching GDPR. I did a bit of digging and found that his webserver that we used to use for scans as well (before my time here) has old scans for literally everything you do not want out on the internet as a company.

I don't think i've ever audibly gasped in surprise at work before.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 18, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogstile posted:

I saw the swastika immediately too and just laughed. Its an obvious fuckup but just because you personally didn't see it doesn't mean its not obviously there.

I also agree it took me a lot longer to see the dicks.

E: On poo poo that's pissing me off it turns out our web developer/really wants to do network admin stuff has been breaching GDPR. I did a bit of digging and found that his webserver that we used to use for scans as well (before my time here) has old scans for literally everything you do not want out on the internet as a company.

I don't think i've ever audibly gasped in surprise at work before.

Well at least he'll have the opportunity to branch out into Network administration as he updates his resume :stonklol:.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Uhhhhhhhh

I got news today that most assuredly is not pissing me off.

My company didn't close series B. We were bought, by a fortune 20 company. They are going to invest $350,000,000 into us and I have equity. :stare:

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

ratbert90 posted:

Uhhhhhhhh

I got news today that most assuredly is not pissing me off.

My company didn't close series B. We were bought, by a fortune 20 company. They are going to invest $350,000,000 into us and I have equity. :stare:

hello dear friend, i am a deposed Nigerian princ

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

hello dear friend, i am a deposed Nigerian princ

I am very tempted to give you my life savings.

Also, when the news goes public I am very tempted to email the CEO of my ex-company about the good news!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

Also, when the news goes public I am very tempted to email the CEO of my ex-company about the good news!

Do this :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wibla posted:

Do this :unsmigghh:

Considering I am getting the gently caress out of West Michigan, its a bridge I am more than happy to burn.