Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Phlegmish posted:

Maybe Archer? It's a pretty good-looking series.

I was about to say this. It’s deceptive on the surface with its flash-puppet adult swim looking aesthetic, but holy crap there’s real good art everywhere in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

1500quidpoocati posted:

I was watching some of the first season of Duckman the other day and thought of this thread.

So much of that show’s humour came from quick sight gags or references to something that you really couldn’t get away with or accomplish on a traditionally shot sitcom that it made me wonder when the emphasis on using animation to accomplish something like that shifted to it now primarily being used because it’s cheaper than filming with live actors.

Is there even an animated show on TV now that’s praised for its animation? I don’t know when the transition happened but the simpsons looks like cheap garbage whenever I see a modern clip.

Rick and Morty is pretty good, and Venture Bros is actually great and contrasts strongly with almost everything else on TV by just being quality, traditional animation which is a rare sight on TV nowadays, the backgrounds especially are stellar. Having said that you can see in lots of instances when they are budging up against the limit of their budget.

No offense to anyone else here, but I simply do not see Bojack Horseman, Archer and most other similar shows as well animated, they're very rigid and clearly use a lot of computer animation shortcuts like Tweening when I think they would be better served by more traditional animation. Like they will never be accused of going off model but I personally don't see that as necessarily a good thing.

Also, as I've said before, for some arcane reason lots of Kids TV these days like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls and even She-Ra looks a lot better than adult orientated stuff.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

pooch516 posted:

Venture Brothers? That gets better-looking every season and still manages to pull off the old-school cartoon look.

The weird/funny background details are all over the place, too.

Venture Bros did and still does everything on a shoestring budget

It's a miracle it looks as good as it does

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Data Graham posted:

I was about to say this. It’s deceptive on the surface with its flash-puppet adult swim looking aesthetic, but holy crap there’s real good art everywhere in it.

If you have any examples, I'd be interested in seeing. I've seen bits and pieces from it but was always turned away by the animation looking all stiff and rotoscoped, like someone put real footage of very very stiff people through a filter.

But the things they say are usually quick, witty and funny. I tried a Green Russian after overhearing that one bit.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plant MONSTER. posted:

If you have any examples, I'd be interested in seeing. I've seen bits and pieces from it but was always turned away by the animation looking all stiff and rotoscoped, like someone put real footage of very very stiff people through a filter.

But the things they say are usually quick, witty and funny. I tried a Green Russian after overhearing that one bit.

I don't know if this is the article I read or if it was just a similar one, but: https://www.awn.com/animationworld/minimalist-animation-archer

It's an interview and so naturally won't exactly present an unbiased reviewer's opinion or convince you that you really saw something you didn't see, but there's a lot going on underneath the flatness.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Data Graham posted:

I don't know if this is the article I read or if it was just a similar one, but: https://www.awn.com/animationworld/minimalist-animation-archer

It's an interview and so naturally won't exactly present an unbiased reviewer's opinion or convince you that you really saw something you didn't see, but there's a lot going on underneath the flatness.

So there really is lot more to the animation and style than I thought. The backgrounds and how those spaces are built in 3D is really interesting.

Might have to watch Archer.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I didn't even find the Rover Hendrix joke to be that bad, really. Just another joke that didn't land perfectly. It was only until I listened to the Talking Simpsons episode where they mentioned it and everyone in the writing team groaning over it during the commentary that I realized everybody universally hated that joke in the episode.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

pooch516 posted:

Venture Brothers? That gets better-looking every season and still manages to pull off the old-school cartoon look.

The weird/funny background details are all over the place, too.

I think of my favorite stories about that show was the fact that the artists just had an old Sears catalog from the 70s that they'd go through, and they'd just put stuff from that in the background.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I thought Rover Hendrix was a perfectly cromulent and good quick joke
In modern Simpsons it would’ve been the flagship joke of the episode and Homer would’ve gone GASP IS THAT JIMI HENDRIX'S DOG while purple haze played in the background

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The animation is probably the only negative thing I can say about Bojack other than that the first few episodes are not good. They put decent effort into dressing it up but you can still tell that it’s flash puppet animation. The big difference between it and Archer is that the characters are very expressive and full of motion.

Rick and Morty does have pretty solid animation outside of the bland human character models.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Calaveron posted:

In modern Simpsons it would’ve been the flagship joke of the episode and Homer would’ve gone GASP IS THAT JIMI HENDRIX'S DOG while purple haze played in the background

It stinks.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I've always found the art style in Bojack ugly, which is one reason I put off watching it for so long, and there's not much to say about the animation aside from a couple episodes like "Downer Ending" and "Stupid Piece of poo poo" where they get more creative.

The style has grown on me a bit, but it's not a show I'd recommend on that basis

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Archer's animation is definitely not for everyone, and I was turned off by how stiff and janky it looked in season 1, but you can definitely see the art improving from season to season. Here's a clip from season 6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AspzkkQr-Ag&t=10s
(stay behind the timestamp if you want to avoid season 5 spoilers)

Even if you don't love the style, you can easily tell that the artists are trying their darndest to push the boundaries of flash animation and pouring a lot of love into their work.

Gravity Falls is probably the most gorgeous animated show I've seen to date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2DUpDxFJyg

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
The animation in the mr poopy butthole Rick and morty episode when the parasites die and transform back into their natural form is really cool and good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
A lot of modern western cartoons have hanna-barbera style flat, simple character designs but with anime style action and movement, which I like. It's Hanna-Barbanime

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Unikitty is aight

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Not a Children posted:

Venture Bros did and still does everything on a shoestring budget

It's a miracle it looks as good as it does

When you take two years to make 10 episodes you can do almost anything on the cheap.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Better than 10 years for 2 episodes like every British “series”

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Homer and Selma set off on a mission to return Jini Mendrix's dog to his heirs.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'll admit I had to look up Rover Hendrix cus I couldn't remember it, which probably says how bad of a joke it was. It was so bad that for a long while I didn't "get it" - I assumed that it was referencing something I didn't know about, because it seemed so unfunny that it must have just been a joke / reference I didn't get. How optimistic I was.

That episode, looking back, feels like a sign of things to come. It certainly wasn't a bad episode, but it had an over-the-top plot, tons of guest appearances as themselves, and a few bad jokes. Like a proto version of modern Simpsons.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It also had some awful wooden voice acting from musicians

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
Would anyone even notice if they just started writing Simpsons episodes with a Markov bot?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It also had some awful wooden voice acting from musicians

Oh you mean like every time a musician or athlete guest stars on literally every TV show?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Well What Now posted:

Would anyone even notice if they just started writing Simpsons episodes with a Markov bot?

I'd respect it more tbh

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I remember thinking the Rover Hendrix joke was a reference to something I didn’t know, but then I heard the commentary and nope, it’s just Jimi Hendrix’s dog. It’s a lazy joke but not noteworthy bad.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
yeah, the rover hendrix thing is just a quick dud, nothing particularly noteworthy imho

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I watched Mr. Plow, and after 27 years just realized the two snowmen that melt are from Raiders of the Lost Ark

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Recently I listened to the Talking Simpsons for the episode where Lisa and Bart go to the military academy (end of season 8). Thinking back on it, it's not a great episode outside of Bart's megaphone prank. I think season 9 is really where things start to turn, but season 8 has some garbage too

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Rewatched $pringfield. The streets paved in gold is so wonderful. And the factory for aquacars

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

MNIMWA posted:

Recently I listened to the Talking Simpsons for the episode where Lisa and Bart go to the military academy (end of season 8). Thinking back on it, it's not a great episode outside of Bart's megaphone prank. I think season 9 is really where things start to turn, but season 8 has some garbage too

You should probably go back and rewatch it then, because I think it holds up pretty well. It has a lot of touching moments and somedy in it.

-Megaphone prank
-I'll Die before I surrender, Tim
-Marge singing to Lisa on the tape
-Welcome to Flavor country

and one of my favorite lines: "That was some good corn"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ExplodingSims posted:

You should probably go back and rewatch it then, because I think it holds up pretty well. It has a lot of touching moments and somedy in it.

-Megaphone prank
-I'll Die before I surrender, Tim
-Marge singing to Lisa on the tape
-Welcome to Flavor country

and one of my favorite lines: "That was some good corn"

Agreed. Also:
-therefore, you will the last class to face this challenge
-wars fought in outer space or a very tall mountains, with tiny robots
-company L smells

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
As I've mentioned, I'm rewatching season 10 and it's at best and worst uneven. Some episodes feel like they could be from season 6 or later and some feel like they could be from seasons 11-14, but they'd easily be the highlights of those seasons. Some episodes have a solid plot through all three acts and some have a wacky first act that gives way to the actual plot in acts 2 and 3 (a hallmark of later seasons). Most of the jokes still work, there's a lot of experimentation with the animation (D'oh'in in the Wind isn't great but does this), and aside from Homer the characters are still basically themselves. Homer is all over the place. Sometimes he's sentimental, sometimes he's dumber than a bag of sheep poo poo, and sometimes he's just a jerk. It's like he has schizophrenia or something from episode to episode. Also, there are touching moments even in stupid episodes. Bart the Mother in particular has that great moment where Marge tells Bart to run for it.

So yeah, I'm happy including season 10 in the "good run" part of the seasons, but it also came out twenty years ago.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

As I've mentioned, I'm rewatching season 10 and it's at best and worst uneven. Some episodes feel like they could be from season 6 or later and some feel like they could be from seasons 11-14, but they'd easily be the highlights of those seasons. Some episodes have a solid plot through all three acts and some have a wacky first act that gives way to the actual plot in acts 2 and 3 (a hallmark of later seasons). Most of the jokes still work, there's a lot of experimentation with the animation (D'oh'in in the Wind isn't great but does this), and aside from Homer the characters are still basically themselves. Homer is all over the place. Sometimes he's sentimental, sometimes he's dumber than a bag of sheep poo poo, and sometimes he's just a jerk. It's like he has schizophrenia or something from episode to episode. Also, there are touching moments even in stupid episodes. Bart the Mother in particular has that great moment where Marge tells Bart to run for it.

So yeah, I'm happy including season 10 in the "good run" part of the seasons, but it also came out twenty years ago.

Bart the Mother could pass for a season 8 episode, yeah. On the other hand, the episode where Homer becomes an outsider artist is one I really hate.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Bart the Mother could pass for a season 8 episode, yeah. On the other hand, the episode where Homer becomes an outsider artist is one I really hate.

We got the "Why doesn't mine look like that!?" joke out of it which has survived the ages at least.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If I had to pick a definitive end of Classic Simpsons to be memorialized in the TV canon (while having everything else dumped down the memory hole), I'd place it at "Behind the Laughter".

Yes, that means you'd have to include Season 11, which has some real stinkers.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

That's the episode I stopped at the last time I watched through the series. I did skip quite a few episodes in seasons 9 through 11, there are probably only enough good episodes to make one season out of those 3. Then I pretend the last 20 years never happened :downs:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mantis42 posted:

If I had to pick a definitive end of Classic Simpsons to be memorialized in the TV canon (while having everything else dumped down the memory hole), I'd place it at "Behind the Laughter".

Yes, that means you'd have to include Season 11, which has some real stinkers.

I either mentioned thin this thread, or a different thread that had a Simpsons tangent recently, it's hard to tell, they all blur together, but when I saw Beyond Blunderdome for the first time, it was the moment I realized the Simpsons was no longer the same show it used to be. My current collection ends at season 8, but I'm not really sure if I should end it at 10 or 11. 11 makes sense because of Behind the Laughter as a good endcap, also giving the series a proper arc of being good and then falling from grace.

After several years of not watching the Simpsons, after Mr. Plow and Lisa's First Word last night, I definitely need to order season one and begin a rewatch of the golden age. It's been way too long, and I've kinda missed it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

spaceblancmange posted:

That's the episode I stopped at the last time I watched through the series. I did skip quite a few episodes in seasons 9 through 11, there are probably only enough good episodes to make one season out of those 3. Then I pretend the last 20 years never happened :downs:

I've always felt that this was either disingenuous or just rose tinted. If we table Season 1 as its own thing and just look at the 2-8 run, there are some real crappy episodes mixed in. Not every episode was amazing, some were mediocre, some downright bad. Seasons 2-3 especially weren't perfect. If you took only the gold from 9-11, you'd end up with a really great season, but as they are, 9 and 10 are good enough. 11 probably not.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

If you took only the gold from 9-11

wow, just wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Behind the Laughter is basically the series finale for the good part of the series- the drop off in quality from 8 to 11 is nowhere near the drop from 11 to 13.

12 was the first season where I started asking: is this worth setting aside time to watch every week? And 13 was the season where I answered “no”.