Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
What's a bigger red flag as "favorite movie" in terms of measuring personality: Donnie Darko, Fight Club, or Atlas Shrugged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Atlas Shrugged.

You can enjoy Fight Club for multiple reasons, just as long as “Tyler Durden is so freaking cool” or “Chuck Palahniuk is such a great writer” are not ones.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

What's a bigger red flag as "favorite movie" in terms of measuring personality: Donnie Darko, Fight Club, or Atlas Shrugged?

Atlas Shrugged by several thousand miles.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

No contest whatsoever.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
God, can you even ask this question sincerely? Donnie Darko and Fight Club might garner eye-rolls, if someone says their no poo poo favorite flick is Atlas Shrugged I'm gonna Atlas Sprinted the gently caress out of that conversation

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Donnie Darko < Fight Club < Atlas Shrugged < Anime

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

*Boondock Saints sits sadly at the top of the stairs, looking into the middle distance*

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Slippery posted:

God, can you even ask this question sincerely? Donnie Darko and Fight Club might garner eye-rolls, if someone says their no poo poo favorite flick is Atlas Shrugged I'm gonna Atlas Sprinted the gently caress out of that conversation

:golfclap:

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

*Boondock Saints sits sadly at the top of the stairs, looking into the middle distance*

Oh man. I agree that Atlas Shrugged is #1 in the warning sign department, but we can't forget about this gem.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

scarface

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I used to say American Beauty was my favorite movie, but man that one is problematic and just keeps getting worse. I liked K-Pax too. 18 year old me was embarrassing.

Right now I'd say The Cabin in the Woods is my favorite. Bradley Whitford is just sublime in that movie. As far as subtle things go I think it's up there, between the board with all the monsters, the elevator scene, I just think it's really well put together.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Scarface is awesome as hell, but yea it's definitely one of those movies that scummy people think is The Best.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Antioch posted:

I used to say American Beauty was my favorite movie, but man that one is problematic and just keeps getting worse. I liked K-Pax too. 18 year old me was embarrassing.

Right now I'd say The Cabin in the Woods is my favorite. Bradley Whitford is just sublime in that movie. As far as subtle things go I think it's up there, between the board with all the monsters, the elevator scene, I just think it's really well put together.

Cabin in the Woods as your favorite movie is still pretty embarrassing though. Watch more movies.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I think Boondock Saints is definitely a bigger red flag than Donnie Darko. Donnie Darko is just a mildly interesting movie that people nerd-out over so if someone says it's their favorite they're probably just a big nerd. Boondock Saints is much worse.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tumble posted:

Scarface is awesome as hell, but yea it's definitely one of those movies that scummy people think is The Best.

Or if you are filming an episode of MTV Cribs.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Tumble posted:

I'd say Scarface is the #1 "missing the point" movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'd say Scarface is the #1 "missing the point" movie.

The real scar isn't on his face.

it's on his soul.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Aphrodite posted:

The real scar isn't on his face.

it's on his soul.

Scarsoul sounds like a 90s comic supervillain.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Triumph of the Will.

Edit: Or Birth of a Nation.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cessna posted:

Triumph of the Will.

Edit: Or Birth of a Nation.

These or Super Troopers.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Cessna posted:

Edit: Or [i]Birth of a Nation.

Death of a nation

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
American Sniper

Or when they love Starship Troopers but unironically.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Queen Combat posted:

American Sniper

It's ok to love Starship Troopers as hilarious satire though, which it is. Not really the same thing as ironically liking something. But yea it's one of those movies where a lot of people completely missed the point. It's amazing to think that Starship Troopers was made before 9/11, its very prescient in that way.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Man I forgot about Boondock Saints. I thought it was a dumb fun movie, but the people that were really into it were insufferable.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Man I forgot about Boondock Saints. I thought it was a dumb fun movie, but the people that were really into it were insufferable.

nothing about boondock saints belongs anywhere near a thread with "subtle" in the title though :)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

These or Super Troopers.

super troopers is good

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My dumbass brother was/is really into Boondock Saints to the extent I had to hide granddad’s WW2 rosary because he wanted to wear it when going out. And no, he wasn’t 12. He was a grown rear end man of 21.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m very glad Boondock Saints never caught on in the UK, at least in my age group. Tyler Durden was bad enough.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I sort of liked Boondock Saints, but really didn't like the part about the cleaner. Something about some emotionless psycho systematically taking out an entire family just because bothers me. I know it's fiction, but it reminds me that it happens in the real world, and ugh :smith:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

poonchasta posted:

I watched Donnie Darko a couple years ago. It still holds up as long as you are watching the theatrical cut and not the director`s cut that over explains the bizarre concepts in the movie. The theatrical cut is open to the interpretation that Donnie just has a severe mental disorder. Plus, it's kinda cool to see a young Jake Gyllenhaal and see that even back then he was a ballin' actor.

Oh yeah, both the Gyllenhaals own (how exactly does one suck a gently caress?) it just doesn't speak to me quite so strongly now I'm no longer a disaffected teenager.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

It's ok to love Starship Troopers as hilarious satire though, which it is. Not really the same thing as ironically liking something. But yea it's one of those movies where a lot of people completely missed the point. It's amazing to think that Starship Troopers was made before 9/11, its very prescient in that way.

I'm going to show young people Starship Troopers in the following decades to explain to them what it was like in America right after 9/11.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Antioch posted:

Jesus

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey, we were all young once. Plus it was very funny when horror nerds got all offended by it

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It was easy when we were kids, but these days the idea that you can have a single favourite movie kind of weirds me out.

I will never be able to choose between Jurassic Park and Ghostbusters.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I always say Starship Troopers because you get a good idea of who you're talking to when you do.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Oh I got a winner: "I judge all my acquaintances by how much they like High Fidelity"

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

How do you judge people who have never seen it because gently caress Nick Hornby?

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

I'm going to show young people Starship Troopers in the following decades to explain to them what it was like in America right after 9/11.

Subtle thing that Verhoeven scifi satires Robocop and Starship Troopers did: they became reality.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I reread High Fidelity last year and Oh loving Boy does that not hold up

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Fish of hemp posted:

Subtle thing that Verhoeven scifi satires Robocop and Starship Troopers did: they became reality.

I've come to realize that the greatest satires eventually become true. Just look at Dr. Strangelove

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I liked Starship Troopers because it had dudes with nuke rifles fighting giant monsters from space. It came out just in time for Starcraft, too. But I have to say that as a kid I wasn't sitting there going "Hah, look at this fascist dictatorship that needs a foreign adversary to justify its existence and sends people to die in pointless wars. That asteroid probably just fell out of space and the Klendathians were peaceful! Look at these proles, celebrating these jack-booted xenophobes! Harrumph!"

Instead it was "haha, did you see that bug's face when he ate the hand grenade? why can't more movies be this cool?"

At any rate, nothing in that movie is subtle. (Also Boondock Saints was fun at the time and anyone who likes Ayn Rand at all has a leaky brain)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

American Sniper

Starship Troopers the film is amazing, I agree if you mean the book though