Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

I'm immediately disinterested in any strategy game with a rock/paper/scissors setup unless it's like Advance Wars where each unit can also perform an action above and beyond its type although even AW kind of fell apart where the artillery and medium tank were the workhorses of your army.

I expect a certain amount of dynamism to come from my strategy games. I'll accept that FFT has a hundred "wrong choices" but the wrong choices aren't weighed on the same level. There are varying degrees of moves, some outright stupid and others with varying levels of risk, and turning around a mistake is part of the thrill. More simplistic strategy games like Advance Wars and Mario & Rabbids feel like puzzles, where the restrictions on the systems are so strict that there's only a handful of ways to win and the player is tasked with finding the right combination of options to win the scenario as the designer wrote it. The only thing I know about Fire Emblem is that NPCs can permanently die which has caused no end of consternation for players to the point where they replay battles trying to find the right move and combination of RNG lucky enough to save their units, something that I absolutely do not care for in a strategy game.

Aside from random low-% crits (which should be removed), having everyone survive in FE really isn't RNG. It's generally just about playing well. The math in FE games is really simple too so you rarely end up in situations where you get blindsided by your unit getting murdered.

Besides, you can just turn the permadeath off if you really want to (but that negatively affects the tactics portion imo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

al-azad posted:

I'm immediately disinterested in any strategy game with a rock/paper/scissors setup unless it's like Advance Wars where each unit can also perform an action above and beyond its type although even AW kind of fell apart where the artillery and medium tank were the workhorses of your army.

I expect a certain amount of dynamism to come from my strategy games. I'll accept that FFT has a hundred "wrong choices" but the wrong choices aren't weighed on the same level. There are varying degrees of moves, some outright stupid and others with varying levels of risk, and turning around a mistake is part of the thrill. More simplistic strategy games like Advance Wars and Mario & Rabbids feel like puzzles, where the restrictions on the systems are so strict that there's only a handful of ways to win and the player is tasked with finding the right combination of options to win the scenario as the designer wrote it. The only thing I know about Fire Emblem is that NPCs can permanently die which has caused no end of consternation for players to the point where they replay battles trying to find the right move and combination of RNG lucky enough to save their units, something that I absolutely do not care for in a strategy game.

FE has a rock/paper/scissors but it just slightly improves/worsens a matchup--like a few points of damage and a few points of accuracy kind of thing.

FE has permadeath except int he most recent games but it's for PCs not NPCs. You have full control over the units that are in danger. What it means in practice is that there's an extra fail condition on every map of any of your units dying which you're allowed to ignore if you're okay with the loss. More recent games have you select whether death is permanent on the difficulty menu.

I'm not saying it'll be your favorite series or even that you'll like it but you have a ton of misconceptions.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Andrast posted:

I don't care about facing but it's definitely true that FE tends to be way faster than most SRPGs since the animations and the UI are all really fast and snappy (at least all the modern ones). It makes FE feel really good to play

By necessity. I've never had to replay missions more than in the Advance Wars series, and not because they were hard but because the scenario design rewarded foreknowledge of enemy placement and the CO's gimmick.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

By necessity. I've never had to replay missions more than in the Advance Wars series, and not because they were hard but because the scenario design rewarded foreknowledge of enemy placement and the CO's gimmick.

I don't really see how that differs from fire emblem. They are from the same developer too (and that really shows in the map design imo).

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

al-azad posted:

So having your character with a charge attack getting knocked back out of range, or letting the enemies work you because they'll always optimize picking you off from the safest distance isn't worth the player choice of manipulating their battle strategy?

in most fe games, weapon triangle advantage translates to one or two extra points of damage and plus 10-15 to your accuracy. it's useful and worth considering but it doesn't rule the battlefield.

re: the challenges of permadeath, if you're relying on rng to avoid deaths then your strategy was flawed from the start! I've never found that mechanic to be as large and frustrating a specter as you think it is but i do love the series so I'm not the best person to ask

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What are 2 and 5 from? Not the original game I don't think

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

What are 2 and 5 from? Not the original game I don't think

Fifth image is from the 3rd game, I can't remember if the 2nd one had a similar "perspective from enemy from window above player" shot. I think the 2nd pic is the game over image or it might be the game cover image.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
QUOTE IS NOT EDIT

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Andrast posted:

I don't really see how that differs from fire emblem. They are from the same developer too (and that really shows in the map design imo).

I'm just equating the differences between the simplistic style of FE/Advance Wars and the bloatier games like FFT. The scenario designs in heavier strategy games are loose enough by design to allow any combination of units to have a chance of success. But something like Advance Wars is so tightly designed you're meant to tackle it like a puzzle with a linear solution.

And that's why I go to games like Silent Storm, XCOM, Jagged Alliance, and the Ogre series. I want to be dropped in a scenario with the units I hand crafted and make the best with what I have in a naturalistic way. Let me agonize about the optimal choices on my time, let me make mistakes and recover, let me win through cunning or brute force or luck or any combination because the end results of a simulationist approach often lead to more dramatic play where my grenade misses the intended target but bounces off a wall and lands inbetween three other enemies.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ghost Recon Shadow War was good and I'd like to see a sequel to that some time, or a followup or whatever.

Make a new codename steam but farm it out to the people behind Shadow War instead so it can be good

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

al-azad posted:

I'm just equating the differences between the simplistic style of FE/Advance Wars and the bloatier games like FFT. The scenario designs in heavier strategy games are loose enough by design to allow any combination of units to have a chance of success. But something like Advance Wars is so tightly designed you're meant to tackle it like a puzzle with a linear solution.

And that's why I go to games like Silent Storm, XCOM, Jagged Alliance, and the Ogre series. I want to be dropped in a scenario with the units I hand crafted and make the best with what I have in a naturalistic way. Let me agonize about the optimal choices on my time, let me make mistakes and recover, let me win through cunning or brute force or luck or any combination because the end results of a simulationist approach often lead to more dramatic play where my grenade misses the intended target but bounces off a wall and lands inbetween three other enemies.

Preferring games with lots of the difficulty being in preparation rather than in-battle is absolutely valid. I'd argue against the claim that FE is like a linear puzzle but it absolutely has almost all the decision making be in-battle instead of out-of-battle. "Let me agonize about the optimal choices on my time, let me make mistakes and recover, let me win through cunning or brute force or luck or any combination" absolutely applies to FE though

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't even know if I would say I like the difficulty in the preparation because I'm not an optimizer or someone who agonizes over grinding for the latest abilities. I just like an organic design where everything feels like it has a place within the world of the game. And that does mean dull moments because no simulationist system can create action 100% of the time, but it also results in crazy memorable outliers where things that shouldn't work end up working. Like take away the crazy physics from Divinity Original Sin and you have a battle system that still works but all the memorable moments come from "can I do this... YES I CAN!"

e: To put it into perspective of something you really love, the Dragon Pass game could automate how many warriors you send into combat but giving you the choice along with the advice of your council gives the player direct control even if it ultimately results in like 5 extra or fewer cows stolen.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 17, 2019

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

15 minutes to the MK11 reveal. Hype!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Front Mission is great

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

Front Mission is great

I am playing Front Mission 3 for the first time.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
:stare:
I just discovered the existence of a La mulana randomizer.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

15 minutes to the MK11 reveal. Hype!

mortal kombat or mario kart

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Pharohman777 posted:

That sounds awful.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Pharohman777 posted:

I don't really understand these 'randomizers'

especially in the case of La Mulana, but doesn't relocating all of the items in e.g. LttP and Super Metroid end up with unwinnable sessions?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Pharohman777 posted:

Yeah uh I'm not trying to completely break my brain here

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

especially in the case of La Mulana, but doesn't relocating all of the items in e.g. LttP and Super Metroid end up with unwinnable sessions?

I don't understand the randomizers either (is it like a hacked rom?) but apparently they're carefully designed to avoid unwinnable states.

I said come in! posted:

I am playing Front Mission 3 for the first time.

Whenever I go through an underwater tunnel I immediately envision mechs drilling through the walls and attacking. Make more Front Mission, cowards!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

the randomizer programs are generally written well enough that unwinnable scenarios can't be generated, and stuff like lttp has a lot of toggles for levels of randomization. plus they'll also usually generate a spoiler file with item locations if you get truly stuck

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

al-azad posted:

Make more Front Mission, cowards!

That Monkey Finger already curled, friendo.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ciaphas posted:

The logic is set up to only allow winnable permutations

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Makes sense. Must be a complicated randomization process--I guess each area required for a clear of the game would have to have a list of its required items and the software would have to coordinate all those lists into one randomized game solution (or I guess just generate solutions willy nilly and check them for validity)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMdqOE1Je1o

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Haha jesus Baraka's Fatality was over the top brutal. Also the zoom in attacks are just as nasty as ever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's funny that people assumed the reveal delay was because MK was going to be "overhauled" but surprise it's what every single person on the planet expected, MK with loot boxes

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

*deliberately ignoring the video posted above* mario kart??? with loot boxes??? has nintendo lost their mind!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

haven't cared about mortal kombat in decades and i'm not about to start now!!!!

(kid me knew ALL the fatalities for MK2 in the arcade--every character, stage specials like the acid pit, the whole lot. it was almost a claim to fame in school)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cowcaster posted:

*deliberately ignoring the video posted above* mario kart??? with loot boxes??? has nintendo lost their mind!!

i’m on my phone right now but i’m going to post “mario kart always had loot boxes” and pretend i also posted the rainbow item boxes

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

In Training posted:

It's funny that people assumed the reveal delay was because MK was going to be "overhauled" but surprise it's what every single person on the planet expected, MK with loot boxes
It literally looks exactly like MKX, in a way I'm even surprised at. Maybe some of the presentation elements are placeholder stuff, but then I thought this game was coming out in April.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spring Break My Heart posted:

It literally looks exactly like MKX, in a way I'm even surprised at. Maybe some of the presentation elements are placeholder stuff, but then I thought this game was coming out in April.

It's publically playable in 10 weeks lol.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mortal Kombat XI comes out April 23. I would like to see side by side comparisons with MKX, but I felt the game was a massive step up in graphic fidelity. It will have been 4 years since MKX released after all.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I couldn't really tell the difference between MK9/10 any time I watched it but I never actually played 10 so idk

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mortal kombat 1-3 look identical. and maybe 4-9 do too i’m not really an expert

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

I couldn't really tell the difference between MK9/10 any time I watched it but I never actually played 10 so idk

I've played both and It was a significant difference. The jump from 360/PS3 to XB1/PS4 was massive. Now NetherRealm can do HDR and 4K resolution, and they've had a lot more time to create more detailed characters and perfect their work on current gen consoles as this will be their 3rd game on these systems.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

mortal kombat surviving in this day and age makes about as much sense to me as if clayfighter were still around. weren't the original like, 3 games, just excruciatingly poorly balanced? wasn't its whole brand and day in the limelight due to the tut tutting of out of touch parents worried about the violence? did it actually grow into a legitimate fighting game series when i wasn't paying attention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think MK11 stuff looks cool and good :confused:

I mean it's not like X was a bad looking game so I don't really care if it's not a major step up, and it still looks fun as hell. The loot boxes thing sucks but it was mostly fine in an Injustice and while I'd like to believe that WB learned from Shadow of War, if the loot boxes in this game ruin everything, I enjoy be shocked.