Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zipperelli. posted:

Why does it matter that they're teenage volleyball players? Wouldn't you do the needful for anyone stuck in that situation?
extremely depends on what they mean by "do the needful"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zipperelli. posted:

Why does it matter that they're teenage volleyball players? Wouldn't you do the needful for anyone stuck in that situation?

It doesn’t it was an example of a fully loaded elevator?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Occupational hazards: U.S. Marshal edition

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Woah

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Jurisdictional intersects are so fun. To read about.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-16/jason-challis-death-army-inquest-coroner-mount-bundey/10719132

A reconstruction of the shooting incident during Exercise Tigers Run

0:45 huh...oooooooh.
History doesn't repeat but it rhymes...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_Tiger

quote:

Exercise Tiger, or Operation Tiger, was the code name for one in a series of large-scale rehearsals for the D-Day invasion of Normandy, which took place in April 1944 on Slapton Sands in Devon. Coordination and communication problems resulted in friendly fire deaths during the exercise, and an Allied convoy positioning itself for the landing was attacked by E-boats of Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine, resulting in the deaths of at least 749 American servicemen.[1][2] Because of the impending invasion of Normandy, the incident was under the strictest secrecy at the time and was only nominally reported afterwards

quote:

The first practice assault took place on the morning of 27 April[6][7] and was marred by an incident involving friendly fire. H-hour was set for 07:30, and was to include live ammunition to acclimatize the troops to the sights, sounds and even smells of a naval bombardment. During the landing itself, live rounds were to be fired over the heads of the incoming troops by forces on land, for the same reason. This followed an order made by General Dwight D. Eisenhower, the Supreme Allied Commander, who felt that the men must be hardened by exposure to real battle conditions.[8] The exercise was to include naval bombardment by ships of Force U Bombardment Group fifty minutes prior to the landing.[9]

Several of the landing ships for that morning were delayed, and the officer in charge, American Admiral Don P. Moon, decided to delay H-hour for 60 minutes, until 08:30.[8] Some of the landing craft did not receive word of the change. Landing on the beach at their original scheduled time, the second wave came under fire, suffering an unknown number of casualties. Rumours circulated along the fleet that as many as 450 men were killed

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/pFRRNNK.gifv

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Now that's some serious fuckling!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I’m not entirely sure what’s going on here. Are they basically having a demolition derby, but with bucket loaders?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
During mating season, the bull loaders become highly aggressive and engage in ritual combat.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

I’m not entirely sure what’s going on here. Are they basically having a demolition derby, but with bucket loaders?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/18/bulldozers-battle-it-out-hebei-province-china

quote:

An argument between construction workers escalated into a demolition derby-style clash of heavy machinery that left at least two bulldozers flipped over in a street, say police in northern China.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Phanatic posted:

During mating season, the bull loaders become highly aggressive and engage in ritual combat.

Time, again, for, "Life of a digger"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozdXIdkWn_4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

sneakyfrog posted:

i thought pyramids were for grain

see, someone like you should brief the POTUS: after building the United Nations, you don't need the Great Wall.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I've never seen that before, that was great.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Proteus Jones posted:

This was page 269 of this thousand page thread, dumb rear end!

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER

FogHelmut posted:

In 1991, we moved into a fixer upper. It was largely original and unmaintained, but it was in a town with a good school district. There was a large rotting and sagging deck on the back of the house that had to be torn down. The carpenter ant damage was evident, but the tear down went with little fanfare. It turns out that the ants had moved on to greener pastures to the ledger board inside the wall of the house. I will never forget standing there as my dad drilled holes along the exterior wall and sprayed poison deep into the wood cavities, while thousands and thousands of ants came spilling out and falling dead on the ground below, their writhing corpses forming small mounds upon the earth.

Great post.

I lived on a ranch in Hawaii when I was a teenager. We had a small mixed herd of cattle, like maybe 150 head, and we raised quarter horses.

The guy that owned the place was a Mormon bishop, he had like 6 kids and he was old as poo poo. But I guess he was frisky. He bred these quarter horses and had this whole string of young women who would ride them in competitions. Like jumping and barrel racing and that kind of poo poo. Lots of fun.

So every Saturday morning we would sell some beef, (there was a whole Friday roundup, then cutting out all the steers from the little pasture into the arena, then cutting out all of the saleable steers into the corrall), and every now and then he would sell a horse, but that was rare.

The main source of income on this patch was the trail rides. We had a string of maybe 40 horses ranging from young and dumb to old and worthless, and we would saddle up about 25 of them on a given day and take groups of mostly tourists out on rides up into the mountains and back.

So anyway the 2:30 ride was the long one. Like 2 hours or more depending. Incredibly beautiful this ride, like just in general, but specifically because there were a few spots where you'd be like winding up next to this ridge under the trees and then you'd suddenly come out into the sun and see the ocean, and Maui in the distance, looking down the whole mountain side. Sometimes you'd hear the tourists, even locals sometimes, gasp or laugh or make some kind of noise as the came into the clearing, just caught unawares by this sudden vision.

Anyway it developed one day that a big loving group of bees had taken up residence in a dead tree right next to the trail. And so we went up there with propane flame throwers, I think 3 of them, and set to burning them out.

They came pouring out in their millions. Then immediately lost their wings. They did indeed pour out just like water.

And then, just when we started unwrapping the shirts from our faces, the first stings came, from this seething mass of angry bees crawling, crawling everywhere around us.

It was too late to run, but we ran anyway.

They were all dead the next day.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Raining ants and logs.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Aren't DoE security dudes mostly hired from private companies and are basically upgunned security guards with the authority to kill? He tries to make them sound like the cool badasses and portrays the US Marshal as the bad guy, but everyone seems to come across as a dickwaving rear end in a top hat. The whole part in Wind River where they get to the drill rig and everyone starts pulling guns on each other seems less out-of-nowhere now.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm thinking less 'Paul Blart' and more 'Blackwater'

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Blackwater is basically a bunch of Paul Blarts :ssh:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The linked story about an April Fools prank gone wrong with the hazardous spills response team is great.

[Futurama announcer voice]
DON'T
PRANK
FIRST
RESPONDERS!!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

I had 2 patients, husband/wife, that both broke their legs when their personal elevator failed and dropped them some 15 feet. Made getting on the lovely often broken elevators at the hospital extra exciting. Additionally, said lovely hospital elevators have trapped me 2 different times, where I had to call for help and was stuck in there for 10 minutes, then suddenly the it opens up and I jump out because i'm not sure if the thing is going to try and guillotine me. gently caress elevators, take the stairs if you can.
This is, as usual, 100% down to management skimping on maintenance.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

McSpanky posted:

The linked story about an April Fools prank gone wrong with the hazardous spills response team is great.

[Futurama announcer voice]
DON'T
PRANK
FIRST
RESPONDERS!!

Yeah, but he also drags a bunch of other people in who weren't the ones that pranked him. It was just a petty power trip.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Krabboss posted:

The Fat Lizard IPA or whatever brewed in Espoo was hyped up to me and it was better than all the other IPAs I've had here but still not good

It was made of ES and poo :mmmhmm:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Zipperelli. posted:

It's a detail that hopefully gets across the number of people and their basic disposition, which was crying panic. Which is why I had to debate bending the (very logical and justified) rules in the moment.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

poo poo like that is why they tell you never to get on/off an elevator that's not aligned with its floors.

When the door opened and he started walking it was aligned.

That aside he's a dick for just walking in the door without looking up from his phone to see if there's anyone about to get off.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GotLag posted:

When the door opened and he started walking it was aligned.

That aside he's a dick for just walking in the door without looking up from his phone to see if there's anyone about to get off.

fyi tho some people sustain themselves on the energy generated by shoulder checking dumb mother fuckers

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Larch posted:

Great post.

I lived on a ranch in Hawaii when I was a teenager. We had a small mixed herd of cattle, like maybe 150 head, and we raised quarter horses.

The guy that owned the place was a Mormon bishop, he had like 6 kids and he was old as poo poo. But I guess he was frisky. He bred these quarter horses and had this whole string of young women who would ride them in competitions. Like jumping and barrel racing and that kind of poo poo. Lots of fun.

So every Saturday morning we would sell some beef, (there was a whole Friday roundup, then cutting out all the steers from the little pasture into the arena, then cutting out all of the saleable steers into the corrall), and every now and then he would sell a horse, but that was rare.

The main source of income on this patch was the trail rides. We had a string of maybe 40 horses ranging from young and dumb to old and worthless, and we would saddle up about 25 of them on a given day and take groups of mostly tourists out on rides up into the mountains and back.

So anyway the 2:30 ride was the long one. Like 2 hours or more depending. Incredibly beautiful this ride, like just in general, but specifically because there were a few spots where you'd be like winding up next to this ridge under the trees and then you'd suddenly come out into the sun and see the ocean, and Maui in the distance, looking down the whole mountain side. Sometimes you'd hear the tourists, even locals sometimes, gasp or laugh or make some kind of noise as the came into the clearing, just caught unawares by this sudden vision.

Anyway it developed one day that a big loving group of bees had taken up residence in a dead tree right next to the trail. And so we went up there with propane flame throwers, I think 3 of them, and set to burning them out.

They came pouring out in their millions. Then immediately lost their wings. They did indeed pour out just like water.

And then, just when we started unwrapping the shirts from our faces, the first stings came, from this seething mass of angry bees crawling, crawling everywhere around us.

please don't kill bees, friend.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Ghostnuke posted:

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Larch posted:

Great post.

thx for post of bee holocaust

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Aren't DoE security dudes mostly hired from private companies and are basically upgunned security guards with the authority to kill? He tries to make them sound like the cool badasses and portrays the US Marshal as the bad guy, but everyone seems to come across as a dickwaving rear end in a top hat. The whole part in Wind River where they get to the drill rig and everyone starts pulling guns on each other seems less out-of-nowhere now.

No idea if that's the case now, but some 20'ish years ago when I had a friend involved in that line of work (on the HR side), it was basically impossible to be hired as armed security at a nuke plant without being ex-military (and the rare ex-police), and it was competitive enough that only the guys with really good service records were even considered. Certainly it's possible that it's changed since then.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Larch posted:

You are what's wrong with the world, and I hope it hurt

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Larch posted:

I killed bees because?

Cool, you're a dick

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Ghostnuke posted:

:emptyquote:

. I had beehives for years with only one sting average per year. If it was a dead tree, they were just swarming and would have moved on within three days or so.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hawaiian honeybees are often a hybrid of the European and African subspecies, which makes them aggressive.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 17, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Hawaiian honeybees are often a hybrid of the European and African subspecies, which makes them aggressive.

As of 2017, Hawaii had no Africanized bees, so ???

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was lied to.

Have some true facts about Hawaii’s native bees: https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/uhmg/news/V9-Magnacca-NativeBee.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQiOv4MMeps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2aPyGgG2ag

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

pshh, what has science ever done for anybody?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Platystemon posted:

Woah don't even try to ruin the high horse everyone is on. Out of the dozen bee species on the islands it was definitely a bunch of wild honey bees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
slight OSHA, at least something interesting I encountered on the job site:

Here is a bee nest that scared the living gently caress out of a coworker, when he made the cut that revealed it:

'twas sweet

Bees were found and identified as wild honey bees back in August, we left the spar for months until the bees peaced out...im sure they found another dead rear end tree around that neighborhood.