Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Everything from Nightvale is perfect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I started to lose the plot once there started actually being a coherent, Lovecraft-style plot with the mayoral elections and poo poo. I should get back into it.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
the canonical list of annoying podcast ads is as follows (no particular order)

Bombas socks
Casper mattresses
Squarespace
Blue Apron
Audible.com
Legalzoom

additions welcome of course

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MyPillow?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Robert Shapiro started Legal zoom, IIRC.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Sorry this was a bit back, but yeah there were two SYAC threads. They both died off quickly because there's something about Dobson that makes people go loving insane and get creepily personal. You can see that one was closed because webdog started digging up picture's of Dobson's girlfriend and getting weird about them. The second one was locked after someone had a meltdown and said Dobson is to art what pedophiles are to children (to bring this all full cycle to other discussions in the thread right now).

Man, Webdog got a picture of Tim Buckley's house that one time, didn't he?

I remember he would dig up crazy poo poo. It was a little scary.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Slippery posted:

Bombas socks
Casper mattresses
Squarespace
Blue Apron
Audible.com
Legalzoom

Does Adam and Eve still advertise on every podcast?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

DicktheCat posted:

Man, Webdog got a picture of Tim Buckley's house that one time, didn't he?

I remember he would dig up crazy poo poo. It was a little scary.

If I recall correctly, Webdog is the reason the CAD mock threads were finally shut down.
gently caress that guy. Those threads were a delight.

The fact that loss.jpg edits are still around is incredible.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I agree, I miss those threads.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think the doxxing stuff is worse actually than those threads closing

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ju s' having an extreme normal one watching a man who made a bad webcomic ten years ago.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Does Adam and Eve still advertise on every podcast?

Oh god, I forgot them, thanks :)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Slippery posted:

Bombas socks
Casper mattresses
Squarespace
Blue Apron
Audible.com
Legalzoom

THREE US PRESIDENTS

bee oh ell ell and branch dot com

I'm more of a satellite radio guy, but PRX and podcasts sometimes overlap.

1 8 7 7 Kars 4 kids
Kay aaie are ess *slams radio button for anything else*

CannonFodder has a new favorite as of 20:39 on Jan 17, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Nobody mention MeUndies yet?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Webdog shows up in threads every so often to downplay the internet detective stuff and insist he did nothing wrong

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

CannonFodder posted:

THREE US PRESIDENTS

bee oh ell ell and branch dot com

I'm more of a satellite radio guy, but PRX and podcasts sometimes overlap.

1 8 7 7 Kars 4 kids
Kay aaie are ess *slams radio button for anything else*

oh god yes, you're right there's a lot of cross over with satellite radio (Especially THREE PRESIDENTS god I hate that one. Ugh, how do they even know...I just have lots of questions. Are these Presidents living or dead???)

Same with Kars 4 Kidzzz. I haven't heard it as much on podcasts but while listening to XM on a road trip it came up ALL THE TIME

along with BIG LOU...although I like that one. Big Lou, he's just like you...except he's only on number 2.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I learned the other day that Karz4Kidz donates half its proceeds to an organization that targets Jews and tries to convert them to Orthodoxy lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oorah_(organization)

e: also

quote:

In 2017, the Minnesota Attorney General conducted a compliance review and submitted a 300 page report to the IRS. The report found that only 44% of funds raised by Kars4Kids went to good works, and that the charity had invested in a Ponzi scheme, in addition to losing $9.2 million from real estate projects controlled by the second cousin of the Kars4Kids CEO.

I actually donated my old car to them when it died because it was literally the easiest way to get rid of a $200 car requiring $3000 in repairs, but at least I know they got maybe a couple hundred in scrap off it.

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Jan 17, 2019

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I started to lose the plot once there started actually being a coherent, Lovecraft-style plot with the mayoral elections and poo poo. I should get back into it.

That's when I stopped listening. I liked it as background stuff, where if you kinda didn't listen to one episode you could just move on to the next. Then again, that was before I was being treated for ADHD. I might be able to actually pay attention to a podcast now.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Araenna posted:

That's when I stopped listening. I liked it as background stuff, where if you kinda didn't listen to one episode you could just move on to the next. Then again, that was before I was being treated for ADHD. I might be able to actually pay attention to a podcast now.

I tried to follow it and the last I remember is Cecil went into I think a painting and was trapped with his boyfriend in a lighthouse in the painting? Or something similarly bizarre. An army of zombies or something gets summoned?

I want to say the mayoral election, and the reveal that the white dude who claims he's a native american shaman is actually a native american shaman, were where I started dropping off.

e: less "the glowing cloud's nefarious long-term plans are REVEALED" and more "the glowing cloud is dropping animal carcasses instead of rain so go on down to the hardware store where they're having a sale on heavy-duty umbrellas!" I guess

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
If you like wrestleman podcasts, the best for ads is the Jim Cornette Experience / Drive Thru, because they do a fun spot for their same one or two sponsors at the head of the show, maybe shill some of Cornette's merch, and that's it.

The worst wrestleman podcast is Bruce Prichard's, where they interrupt the show to cum over whatever hot garbage is throwing them a dollar, a minimum of four times each episode, and for two and a half minutes a pop. Also the super fat co-host has to say "rumor and innuendo" at least two hundred times an hour.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the escape goat posted:

If I recall correctly, Webdog is the reason the CAD mock threads were finally shut down.
gently caress that guy. Those threads were a delight.

The fact that loss.jpg edits are still around is incredible.
I don't recall it being specifically Webdog so much as the inevitable megathread fall into eating the sacred cow, but certainly he set an early template for problematic behaviour within the thread.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Sorry this was a bit back, but yeah there were two SYAC threads. They both died off quickly because there's something about Dobson that makes people go loving insane and get creepily personal. You can see that one was closed because webdog started digging up picture's of Dobson's girlfriend and getting weird about them. The second one was locked after someone had a meltdown and said Dobson is to art what pedophiles are to children (to bring this all full cycle to other discussions in the thread right now).

Good lord that sucks. I like the start of them when you get a glut of terrible comics, edits, and posts etc. So I at least have that to look forward to

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dillbag posted:

If you like wrestleman podcasts, the best for ads is the Jim Cornette Experience / Drive Thru, because they do a fun spot for their same one or two sponsors at the head of the show, maybe shill some of Cornette's merch, and that's it.

The worst wrestleman podcast is Bruce Prichard's, where they interrupt the show to cum over whatever hot garbage is throwing them a dollar, a minimum of four times each episode, and for two and a half minutes a pop. Also the super fat co-host has to say "rumor and innuendo" at least two hundred times an hour.

I don't remember what Steve Austin or Jim Ross have been shilling lately, but their ad reads are always amusing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I jumped off when it started to focus less on creepy town stuff and more on the romcom that is Cecil and Carlos

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

EmmyOk posted:

Good lord that sucks. I like the start of them when you get a glut of terrible comics, edits, and posts etc. So I at least have that to look forward to

The current mock thread has none of the weird stalkerish poo poo. It's mostly a chat thread for like fifteen people where we also posted bad comics to laugh at.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I think it was someone on these forums who said "Nightvale couldn't decide if it wanted to be funny or spooky so it settled for neither" and that always summed it up pretty well for me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
like all podcasts, night vale is better if you just read the transcripts

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Moon Slayer posted:

I think it was someone on these forums who said "Nightvale couldn't decide if it wanted to be funny or spooky so it settled for neither" and that always summed it up pretty well for me.

That under sells it though, it's not another podcast that sucks. It's a new concept and is well done in its own right, neither lolrandom or SO SPOOPY, it's actually worth listening to

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I loved the first...50? Then, like everyone else, it got into the mayoral election with Hiram McDaniels (i still don't know who this is, but they repeated his name every ten seconds) and I stopped giving a poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

The current mock thread has none of the weird stalkerish poo poo. It's mostly a chat thread for like fifteen people where we also posted bad comics to laugh at.

I always loved a good mock thread before it ate itself. I lurked CAD mock threads for years before I regged (the first one had the most fantastic timing, it was posted like two days before Loss came out and everyone just lost their poo poo about it).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I wanted to like nightvale but it's bad. Every joke is like "normal thing. Normal thing. Extremely weird and spooky thing. (long pause) Different normal thing" and "weird twin peaks wanna be townspeople did something weird, but we're sure it's not anything weird (long pause)"

It's bad, Todd

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Who What Now posted:

The dream

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

purple death ray posted:

I wanted to like nightvale but it's bad. Every joke is like "normal thing. Normal thing. Extremely weird and spooky thing. (long pause) Different normal thing" and "weird twin peaks wanna be townspeople did something weird, but we're sure it's not anything weird (long pause)"

It's bad, Todd

:same:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

The dream

Hogge Wild is also there, complaining that people don't post the good bad comics and nobody makes edits anymore, so it's not perfect.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

Hogge Wild is also there, complaining that people don't post the good bad comics and nobody makes edits anymore, so it's not perfect.

ah yeds well that makes sense because have you ever tried reading or punching in a dream, not everything is perf

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Moon Slayer posted:

yeah the desire to add an overarching plot and not just keep on the "AM radio from the Twilight Zone" path was what led to a lot of the boring stuff

Oxxidation posted:

like all podcasts, night vale is better if you just read the transcripts

I have the transcript books and they are great. Haven't started the actual separate novel though (It Devours) but I'm not super-enthusiastic, since the desire to form a coherent plot is what made the show stop being good in the first place.

Queen Combat posted:

I loved the first...50? Then, like everyone else, it got into the mayoral election with Hiram McDaniels (i still don't know who this is, but they repeated his name every ten seconds) and I stopped giving a poo poo.

Like the mayor, and the indian chief, Hiram was a one-off throwaway that they shoehorned into the big plot, and while the concept of a 5-headed dragon voiced by Jackson Publick is OK, the whole "lol he's a gigantic 5-headed dragon but nobody reacts like that's a weird thing" was really bad in execution (there's only so much you can listen to a dude argue with himself in different voices). I think he originally shows up in an early episode simply as someone who ran from the cops after a traffic stop.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

purple death ray posted:

It's bad, Todd

this is a valid opinion I think. To me it's a great combination of fairly funny but also incredibly relaxing. I don't listen to podcasts usually but Night Vale always mellowed me out. I dunno, there's just something I find generally humorous and endearing about a town where weird poo poo happens on the reg and people just roll with it.

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Jan 18, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Everyone who likes Night Vale and has never listened to Joe Frank needs to fix that right now.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I've heard the novel actually does make the whole thing come together incredibly well. Have not confirmed but the guy who said that hated the podcast and only hate-read the novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

purple death ray posted:

Webdog shows up in threads every so often to downplay the internet detective stuff and insist he did nothing wrong

Yeah, he has retconned all of the stuff about pictures of people's houses and the jokes about his creeper van to that he had nothing to do with it. Unrelated people just stalked these people, completely on their own, and gave him the information for no reason, unsolicited.