Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

THC posted:

'smoke sumthin bitch' is constantly making excuses for the far right in Canada threads too lol

You mean he's... some kind of a c-spam mod???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

if the 2016-2019 timeline has thought us anything is that the more free speech these nazis enjoy, the more they sabotage themselves and their whole movement

hot take: this is a false dichotomy, being platformed and deplatformed is part of a dialectical process. the louder they shout the louder the rest of society shouts back, the more violent they are the more violence is done to them

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
For every 1 time you get to laugh at them for sleeping with eachothers moms or something there's like 200 he-man-woman-hater teens :hmmyes:-ing their way through a vlog of some guy in a crusaders helmet talking about immigrant IQ studies.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Norton the First posted:

I guess my question is how Google is supposed to be curating searches on a day-to-day basis.

No predictions, no suggestions, no buying a higher place on the list. As soon as they do any of those things, they are creating content and they're liable for it

None of these "unavoidable problems" would be occurring if these "services" did what they were supposed to do

Norton the First posted:

I don't care about that either. If the mindless Google AI thinks the next thing I'm going to ask is "how can I join ISIS" and helpfully provides me with the search already formed, I appreciate the convenience. As would anyone.

I don't, I'm insulted of Google's low opinion of my standards, always assuming an unusual query must be wrong or misspelled. Google is "we got both kinds, country and western", rock bottom lowest common denominator. Most Google result nowadays are either trivially correct, to the point I'm basically using Google as a shortcut to Wikipedia or Stack Overflow, or completely worthless garbage. Like, why can't Image Search ever return the correct result, i.e. the original source of an image, but invariably an artifacted, resized, watermarked copy of it on some spammy Pinterest account? Why is there a limit on the number of results, when results are stuffed with unfilterable utter crap?

And I wouldn't call it "mindless", because it wouldn't be profitable if it really was

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hackbunny posted:

I don't, I'm insulted of Google's low opinion of my standards, always assuming an unusual query must be wrong or misspelled. Google is "we got both kinds, country and western", rock bottom lowest common denominator. Most Google result nowadays are either trivially correct, to the point I'm basically using Google as a shortcut to Wikipedia or Stack Overflow, or completely worthless garbage. Like, why can't Image Search ever return the correct result, i.e. the original source of an image, but invariably an artifacted, resized, watermarked copy of it on some spammy Pinterest account? Why is there a limit on the number of results, when results are stuffed with unfilterable utter crap?

it's legit getting shittier to use

GIS pisses me off constantly. IDK who decided that clicking on the image should take you to the webpage instead of uh the direct url of the image but they are an idiot.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Was flipping through a 70s skin mag and while there was plenty of radical stuff (and hair) and cool glimpses into the state of counterculture of the era there was also an article by some proto-altright dude who was defending incest and “asserting the sexual rights of the child”:yikes: but also segued into some just as bizarre conclusion on “but perhaps we shouldn’t rock the boat when the USSR and Third World Savages are just itching to plunder the spoils of Western Civilization”. Dude had a pseudonym so I have no idea if he’s still active today.

Oh Playboy absolutely has had some really greasy, creepy, and down-right illegal (nowadays) stuff that I guess was considered normal by the usual subscriber, but it also had some really interesting stuff like an article pointing out that there were people in jail for homosexuality in US states where bestiality and (basically) paedophilia were perfectly legal.

tl;dr Playboy was a mixed bag, with nude women.

e: I come across as some Playboy expert here but I think I've read four issues in my life.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

it's legit getting shittier to use

GIS pisses me off constantly. IDK who decided that clicking on the image should take you to the webpage instead of uh the direct url of the image but they are an idiot.
This was due to a lawsuit by gettyimage who were mad about missing out on ad revenue.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

as we can see from the tremendous increase in popularity of milo, richard spencer, and alex jones post deplatforming

it was milo talking about how pederasty was cool and good on mainstream podcasts that lead to his brand becoming too toxic for anyone to even be in business with him. spencer wasnt deplatformed and is another good example of self destruction. AJ isnt nazi so idk about that one

RIP to the lady who got killed but had the tiki torch rally been censored the alt right would be in a much better and stronger position right now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
the “deplatforming” poo poo has virtually nothing to do with censorship though. that’s the thing. you’re pulling a fast one by confusing a prior restraint by the government with people boycotting or shouting down others

it’s literally examples of how “more speech is the solution to bad speech” though virtually no-one interprets it that way right now due to cynical attempts to reframe what “free speech” means by reactionaries

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

RIP to the lady who got killed but
lol shut the gently caress up you weird nazi apologist gently caress

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

it was milo talking about how pederasty was cool and good on mainstream podcasts that lead to his brand becoming too toxic for anyone to even be in business with him. spencer wasnt deplatformed and is another good example of self destruction. AJ isnt nazi so idk about that one

RIP to the lady who got killed but had the tiki torch rally been censored the alt right would be in a much better and stronger position right now.

shut the gently caress up you loving moron

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

You are why I am excited for all of this demon cracker nation being Sherman's-March'd by demons and aliens. :d2a:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

"this is how you get trump" and "strike us down and we'll become more powerful than you can imagine!!" are such obvious tells lol. Take it as a signal that they're mortally terrified and you should do exactly what they're sternly counselling you not to do.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Shameful.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
deplatforming doesn't work, don't try it

*deplatforming virtually silences at least 5 different reactionary shitheads*

ahh, nevertheless....

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

deplatforming doesn't work, don't try it

*deplatforming virtually silences at least 5 different reactionary shitheads*

ahh, nevertheless....

look if you just let those 5 reactionary shitheads murder people with a car they would have been weakened much more than they are now

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1086001133481541632

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

they like the fact that she's anti-intervention in syria. there's a (imo very cynical) political tendency that says that this is because she's antimuslim (and that indeed anyone anti-interventionist or remotely pro-regime etc. are also islamophobic). she's also friendly towards the BJP but that's a separate kettle of fish imo. it comes down to the fact that certain fascists and certain elements of the us/nato security establishment are at odds on specific issues, and some opportunistic fascists think they can split the left by being stridently antiwar
yeah the new right and interventionist neocons are deeply at odds, and the GOP getting taken over by paleocons is the most significant development in contemporary american politics. its kind of surprising that anyone is still confused about this. if you look at stuff Richard Spencer and his mentor Paul Gottfried have said, or someone like Pat Buchanan, an old school paleocon, they've all been highly critical of american interventionism and until 2015 or so they had been shut out of power by the neocons. now that trend has nearly fully reversed. it's not surprising that they'd support Gabbard at all, and I agree i think her homophobic past is all secondary to her being critical of american interventionism. I think with regards to Syria and the congressional and media establishment consensus on deposing assad there is some genuine horseshoe theory stuff going on, with young people on the alt right as well as DSA types both being strongly opposed to deposing assad

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

All I'm seeing is "I'm not a Nazi but......" in his quotes.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
In another part of that interview she confronts him about getting advice from some guy who keeps pointing out who all the jews are in the media and he says "well he has some good points" lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

cargo cult posted:

yeah the new right and interventionist neocons are deeply at odds, and the GOP getting taken over by paleocons is the most significant development in contemporary american politics. its kind of surprising that anyone is still confused about this. if you look at stuff Richard Spencer and his mentor Paul Gottfried have said, or someone like Pat Buchanan, an old school paleocon, they've all been highly critical of american interventionism and until 2015 or so they had been shut out of power by the neocons. now that trend has nearly fully reversed. it's not surprising that they'd support Gabbard at all, and I agree i think her homophobic past is all secondary to her being critical of american interventionism. I think with regards to Syria and the congressional and media establishment consensus on deposing assad there is some genuine horseshoe theory stuff going on, with young people on the alt right as well as DSA types both being strongly opposed to deposing assad
adding to this, i've found it really hard to connect "domestic" and "foreign" policy objectives in any consistent way across the political spectrum. i am thinking of ukraine in particular where alt-right types have been pro-putin, but there are neo-nazi foreign fighters serving in ukrainian paramilitary groups. the left in general seems to be extremely wary of the ukrainian government with the tankie types outright supporting russia and the donbass seperatists, although broad sectors of the left are not supportive and see it as an imperialist war on both sides.

hezbollah also gets some support from alt-right types because of the conflict with israel. but i've seen some guys like weev (i think) go "actually we shouldn't support these guys, they're on the left." but i don't think he has been consistent here either. nobody knows anything.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did Kyle Chapman ever resurface after mysteriously receiving and making bail this summer?

His trial has to be coming up.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
dunno.

i'm hearing a rumor that j.l. van dyke's house was raided by feds the other day though. they seized his electronics. can't confirm but :monocle:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Terrible Opinions posted:

This was due to a lawsuit by gettyimage who were mad about missing out on ad revenue.

but i just right click and hit "open image in new tab" instead, it's just another few clicks

why is everything so dumb lmfao why is our collective intellectual commons just run by 2-3 companies glutting themselves on ad money generated mostly by bots in the first place

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Jack "Well if the President directly called for murder via our platform then that'd be a violent threat and we'd maybe talk about it" Dorsey

meanwhile I tweeted "kill yourself" at Trump and got a 30 day haha

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Moridin920 posted:

but i just right click and hit "open image in new tab" instead, it's just another few clicks

why is everything so dumb lmfao why is our collective intellectual commons just run by 2-3 companies glutting themselves on ad money generated mostly by bots in the first place

:capitalism:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lol why even save the image just hit properties and c/p the url

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
hell if you wanna use it later c/p it into a google doc

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

adding to this, i've found it really hard to connect "domestic" and "foreign" policy objectives in any consistent way across the political spectrum. i am thinking of ukraine in particular where alt-right types have been pro-putin, but there are neo-nazi foreign fighters serving in ukrainian paramilitary groups. the left in general seems to be extremely wary of the ukrainian government with the tankie types outright supporting russia and the donbass seperatists, although broad sectors of the left are not supportive and see it as an imperialist war on both sides.

hezbollah also gets some support from alt-right types because of the conflict with israel. but i've seen some guys like weev (i think) go "actually we shouldn't support these guys, they're on the left." but i don't think he has been consistent here either. nobody knows anything.

I've heard good articulations of leftist foreign policy on how to transform how we deal with our allies and how we deal with developing nations who we continue to exploit.

I haven't heard a good articulation on how to deal with bad actors. Putting aside the current hysteria over Russia, they are absolutely an imperialist power and they will not hesitate to use all of the same dirty tricks that we currently do. A true leftist and internationalist foreign policy needs to be effective in preventing imperialist powers from continuing to poo poo things up after we renounce imperialism, and I haven't heard a good framework for how we would do that.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Azathoth posted:

I've heard good articulations of leftist foreign policy on how to transform how we deal with our allies and how we deal with developing nations who we continue to exploit.

I haven't heard a good articulation on how to deal with bad actors. Putting aside the current hysteria over Russia, they are absolutely an imperialist power and they will not hesitate to use all of the same dirty tricks that we currently do. A true leftist and internationalist foreign policy needs to be effective in preventing imperialist powers from continuing to poo poo things up after we renounce imperialism, and I haven't heard a good framework for how we would do that.

:same:

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

ah yes, the "nazis murdering people is actually Good" argument

a classic

vvvv e: sorry, should've quoted the post i was responding to

crime weed has issued a correction as of 00:34 on Jan 18, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

A true leftist and internationalist foreign policy needs to be effective in preventing imperialist powers from continuing to poo poo things up after we renounce imperialism, and I haven't heard a good framework for how we would do that. 

Permanent revolution!!!

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
the worst part is, maga chuds & dipship "centrists" still defend nazis to the death anyway, despite all of the (proven-and-convicted) murders

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

crime weed posted:

ah yes, the "nazis murdering people is actually Good" argument

a classic

what

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1086005293312544774

lol rip, destiny was his last guest

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Azathoth posted:

This is the big challenge of leftist governments too. I don't think anyone has an answer other than 'sometimes we must make compromises'.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Defeated by a gamer

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

in huge shock gen z isnt some wave of good little conservatives to save us from the terrible millenials

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2019/01/17/generation-z-looks-a-lot-like-millennials-on-key-social-and-political-issues/

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Samovar posted:

You mean he's... some kind of a c-spam mod???

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Amazin