Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Aades posted:

I play on takp a lot. I never tried p2002 but I think they have some quality of life differences like mouse-scrolling view change. I've heard good things about both if you don't mind boxing.

I tried 2002. It's fun but the economy is kind of crazy (but different from p99). It was fun, but boxing ultimately drained the experience and it's not like P99 in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
p2002 is run by a bunch of posers who cannot code. They can poo poo out really badly done content but the underlying mechanics are laughably crude and will remain so until TAKP goes open source again when they are done developing. Also there is only one top guild due to GM cronyism on p2002. TAKP uses a GM nforced rotation system for raids. Both have boxing but p2002 uses the stock titanium client instead of TAKP's PoP era client. In practice this means nothing since 98% of TAKP use a mouse scroll work around.

fruity no gay
May 7, 2018

by Cyrano4747

shirunei posted:

In practice this means nothing since 98% of TAKP use a mouse scroll work around.

sorry, really? 98% of the server is using a bannable hack?

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

fruity no gay posted:

sorry, really? 98% of the server is using a bannable hack?

I doubt many use the .dll that I'm sure you are referring to. Not that they have any logging which can detect it. However there has been an AHK script floating around for awhile that does the same thing though which when shown to a few devs they basically threw their hands up in the air and refused to pursue punitive action. Which makes sense considering every loving dev uses a method to enable mouse scrolling anyways, you can thank Haynar for that!

shirunei fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 19, 2019

fruity no gay
May 7, 2018

by Cyrano4747

shirunei posted:

I doubt many use the .dll that I'm sure you are referring to. Not that they have any logging which can detect it. However there has been an AHK script floating around for awhile that does the same thing though which when shown to a few devs they basically threw their hands up in the air and refused to pursue punitive action. Which makes sense considering every loving dev uses a method to enable mouse scrolling anyways, you can thank Haynar for that!

thanks for clarifying. I've long suspected they can't detect for poo poo. no wonder autofire is legal lol.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

A few people have sent me PM's asking for help enabling mouse scroll. I zipped up the folder I found them in and uploaded it to https://www53.zippyshare.com/v/uK7GmfsY/file.html there are actually two mouse scroll fixes in there just use whatever one works for you. I don't have the AHK script since I've always used these old programs sorry!

shirunei fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 29, 2019

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

TOV is getting rotated.

Probably will suck but I get that the staff basically had to do something about Aftermath bringing literally 160 people to kill one thing.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

One of the most sensible staff decisions tbh.

Now they just need to root the dragons like they were classically so people get to crawl through NToV.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

ToV rotation cancelled by Rogean.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

instance it will never happen because muh classic but would solve all problems

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Chardok revamp patch has dropped. Was this slated to be the final patch?

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

FungiCap posted:

Chardok revamp patch has dropped. Was this slated to be the final patch?
There's at least another patch (notably the melee buff patch).

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So i got my Iksar SK to 10 but i cant stop thinking i should maybe reroll a troll just for the stats and being able to bash with a 2hander...
Opinions?

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

So i got my Iksar SK to 10 but i cant stop thinking i should maybe reroll a troll just for the stats and being able to bash with a 2hander...
Opinions?

trolls can also wear plate.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
How do i get a lvl 10 Iksar sk near a place where i can hand his stuff and money over to a likely lvl 1-2 troll sk?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Yolomon Wayne posted:

How do i get a lvl 10 Iksar sk near a place where i can hand his stuff and money over to a likely lvl 1-2 troll sk?

Druids can port to Emerald Jungle, a zone adjacent to Field of Bone. You can have one teleport you or your gear to the troll starter area.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
In case i dont find anyone willing or able to port,
is the overthere a safe place for an iksar to boat to oasis or am i kos?
Wiki says its a beachhead for "evil races" but also that everyone hates lizards.
From there i could do a handover with someone.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

iksars are kos in the OT outpost

you would have to run to the OT ramp to skyfire and catch a port from there, thats where all the druids hang

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Depends on if you’re looking at short term or more end-game. Iksar and trolls both have regen, iksar get an AC bonus but they can’t wear plate... at lower levels that’ll affect your gear, but at higher levels you’ll be wearing the same equipment but iksar will still have their AC bonus. Trolls can bash with a 2 hander, all races can bash with their epic I believe.

Both have a lovely exp penalty. Iksar SKs can now get greenmist, trolls cannot. Lower levels make the trolls size annoying without shrink, new patch gives SKs a skeleton illusion (which functions as a shrink) spell at end-game. Iksar have a great newbie zone, Trolls have the opposite. Trolls scratch their butt and show their butt crack, Iksar idle animations are pretty boring.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Iksar SK also have a few robe options if you're into fashion. People will just think you're a badass necro.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I think this rear end in a top hat has my druid's account info who is bound in FoB at the ramp. I could be wrong, but he might be able to help if this is still the case. I'm currently self-banned from playing or I'd hook you up.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Well i rolled a troll for now, but didnt delete the iksar.
Gave him a blade of xalgoz in favour of a BaBS mainly because nobody sold any until i had purchased it...
Maybe if im in the mood ill gear him up again in the future, but im really not into sword/shield and having a bigass 2hander and still be able to bash is really nice.

Although nothin comes close to Field of Bone when it comes to newbie zones.
Can i make a troll non-kos to lizards without dedicating my life to it?

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 13, 2019

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I think this rear end in a top hat has my druid's account info who is bound in FoB at the ramp. I could be wrong, but he might be able to help if this is still the case. I'm currently self-banned from playing or I'd hook you up.

Fake news, I just have the Wizard/Mage/Rogue account. Just send me the druid info, ya dingus.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
I know absolutely nothing about this game. But a friend and I want to go in with guns blazing.

I've read a bit about the classes and kinda know which are slightly more powerful than others. But I really don't know about which race to play.

Basically, what would be the most ~solid~ duo class/race setup. We would only be playing with each other, really.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
Ogres are the most solid race, so go ogre shaman and SK

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Blackdog420 posted:

the most ~solid~ duo class/race setup

iksar monk, ogre shaman

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I'd say don't min max if you've never played this game before and go with something that will be easier to get around. So Human monk, barbarian Shaman. You'll start close together and have the largest access to cities and factions.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

smiling giraffe posted:

Ogres are the most solid race, so go ogre shaman and SK

I did this on red and it was pretty fun as a duo. Once you get your pet as a Shaman you can duo a fair amount of content.

I dunno if I'd recommend it for a beginner just because the Ogre starting area is a mess.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Did they ever do anything with the begging skill? I remember spamming it to start fights with humans in the Qeynos Sewers but was there anything cool that requires it?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Other extremely legit but not as powergamey duos...

Druid + Necro: teleports and SOW for easy travel, fear kiting, animal and undead charming, root/DOTing
Races: Faydwer - woodie/gnome, Antonica - halfling/DE

Any two pet classes: Mage, Necro, Shaman, Enchanter can all work in this, pick two and you'll be fine (enchanters start slower but with charm pets and being helpful on pulls, they end up the best)
Races: tons of options including many with same starting city. Iks sham/nec is legit, DE caster with troll/ogre sham or any good race with barb shaman.

Shaman + any melee: Monk/SK are the best so you can do easier pulls, but any melee will work, including rogue (shaman can tank and hold aggro while rogue backstabs)
Races: pair up good/evil for easier starting city compatibility

Enchanter + Cleric: charm things to do your dirty work and provide pet heals and enchanter rezzes with cleric (kinda boring and starts slow, very powerful later)
Races: again, tons of options, can do double DE if you want to be evil

Bard + Wizard: lol ae kiting team (don't do this)
Races: seriously don't do this

Edit: added race suggestions

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 15, 2019

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Blackdog420 posted:

I know absolutely nothing about this game. But a friend and I want to go in with guns blazing.

I've read a bit about the classes and kinda know which are slightly more powerful than others. But I really don't know about which race to play.

Basically, what would be the most ~solid~ duo class/race setup. We would only be playing with each other, really.

Dustoph posted:

I'd say don't min max if you've never played this game before and go with something that will be easier to get around. So Human monk, barbarian Shaman. You'll start close together and have the largest access to cities and factions.

This is a huge point to consider. This is not WoW. This is a pretty loving brutal game with brutal death penalty to boot.(you spawn naked in the city your bound in and have to retrieve your corpse, plus you lose exp to boot) Its also not a solo based game, meaning that even trash can spank you hard since everything is set up for a group. Also its hard to get around. You literally have to run places or ask druids or wizards for teleports. For noobs that never played EQ before, this is excellent advice. Evil races have a hard time in old school EQ. I mean it can be done, but for noobs that dont know poo poo, its pretty hard. Especially getting an iksar to ogook or ogre from ogook to field of bones. Best bet to play evil is to start in the same city together, so both go for ogre or both go for iksar. If you ever get to end game type stuff, starting stats dont matter anymore since everything will be maxxed anyway. Ogres get the perk of not being able to be stunned from the front, and iksars get a minor regen and infravision (And yeah, dark is loving DARK in this game so this does matter)

Peechka fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 15, 2019

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Other extremely legit but not as powergamey duos...

Druid + Necro: teleports and SOW for easy travel, fear kiting, animal and undead charming, root/DOTing

I have done this a lot, and druid + shaman (both with epic). You basically have three mobs rooted and dying at any one time. Lots of fun and there is a hell of a lot of content you can handle.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
thanks for all the advice, what's the best way to play a shaman while in a duo?

Melee?

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I wouldn't really recommend a melee like SK for someone just starting out because they're all really gear dependent. Fun is of course super subjective, but you should also be aware that a lot of the melee in this game can be a little boring to play compared to melees in other MMOs, you're mostly gonna be auto attacking and spamming 1-2 abilities.

I think enchanter and necro would be a lot fun as a duo. They're not gear dependent, and they end up being pretty drat powerful and versatile. Whenever one of you isn't around, either class can also solo like a boss.

Outdoors, you can fear kite extremely efficiently with enc's charm pet. Indoors, depending on your level and if the zone has undead, you'd be hard pressed to find a stronger duo. Necro can keep you both healed up throughout your shenanigans. You end up with classes that are pretty versatile and that can solo/duo a lot of poo poo all the way to 60. Towards the endgame the necro can summon your corpses and res you when poo poo hits the fan in your dungeon crawls, and the classes are also just straight fun given the variety of crazy poo poo you can pull off.

There are more powerful and safer duos for top end item camps, but I'd argue this would be one of the most fun. For races I'd go Iksar for the Necro and High Elf for the enc.

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 16, 2019

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
A Gnome Mage/Necro can be a pretty fun starting combo. You just gently caress everything up with your two pets and then you can either duo whatever outdoors or go into Crushbone, etc. The Gnome starting zone is good too.

And neither class is gear dependent at all. You could play them naked as long as you have pets.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

Blackdog420 posted:

Melee?

Depends on the duo really. My brother and I did Shaman/Enchanter and I was the Shaman. It was a lot of meleeing with a Poison Wind Censor up til 40 or so, with the Enchanter using a charmed pet that did the tanking. I'd either heal his pet if we wanted to keep it around, or finish it off when it got low health. Also, I'd be ready to root everything if he had a bunch of bad breaks all at once. That ended when we went to Oggok and killed the guards, because by 39 it was more efficient to slow the guards, send in the pet, and have the charmed pet and wolf wail on it.

I'd imagine that Shaman/Melee is the same sort of progression, though keeping haste up for the team-mate is the first priority.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Blackdog420 posted:

Melee?

Early levels yea no reason not to be melee'ing along with your duo. As you get higher you'll need to be focusing more on heals/buffing/debuffing. You'll figure it out.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Bard is cool and good, also very cheap to gear.
Downside of Bard 3rd hardest epic to get, also epic is exceedingly useful so there's that.

Classes like shaman and monk have easy epics.

KingFisher fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 17, 2019

Urban Sorcerer
Oct 16, 2005
I have not played everquest in decades and have now started playing this for some reason that is beyond me - hit up Meksivik in game if you need a super low level magician to group with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Will the final patch that's supposed to be coming make rangers less garbage, or was that only in the Luclin pre-patch that this server will never get? I think it's supposed to be the two-hander patch, which will indirectly make rangers less bad, but I think the direct ranger fixes were in the Luclin pre-patch.