Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Das Boo posted:

Wait, wasn't the villain of the second movie all, "Rrgh! I'll be back!" and got away? Am I misremembering?

No, he fell of a cliff. There was no body, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Honestly, the Steven Universe release schedule being stretched out hides how bad the pacing is. The story never actually goes anywhere. They want to have these big plot-heavy episodes, but with no actual consequences or changes to the status quo.
I really, really disagree with that. One of the most impressive things about the show is how Steven is the team's leader now and it's completely unclear when that actually happened. There isn't one big moment where he matures, he just slowly matures. Honestly, most of the characters have grown in really subtle and natural ways.

I like how the show also always takes time to deal with self-care after big events.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I just found out that the kid who plays Steven is having some serious mental health issues, so I hope he can get the help he needs.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Phylodox posted:

No, he fell of a cliff. There was no body, though.

Oh, okay. It was so lazy I guess I didn't remember it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I just found out that the kid who plays Steven is having some serious mental health issues, so I hope he can get the help he needs.

Wait what? :( Where'd you hear this at?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really, really disagree with that. One of the most impressive things about the show is how Steven is the team's leader now and it's completely unclear when that actually happened. There isn't one big moment where he matures, he just slowly matures. Honestly, most of the characters have grown in really subtle and natural ways.

I like how the show also always takes time to deal with self-care after big events.

It happened because every basically other gem is dumb as hell. Their entire species is designed for each member to do exactly one thing, and then they are never taught to do anything outside of that one thing. Steven, being half human, had to grow up rather than simply being created and in doing so learn basic problem solving skills.

So, even though his leadership pretty much only consists of things like "Hey maybe don't be assholes to each other?" and "maybe we should try to help these gems that have been turned into monsters instead of just imprisoning them for life, or ignoring them" it still makes sense for the gems to follow the ideas of this fourteen year old kid because, well, at least he has ideas.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait what? :( Where'd you hear this at?

He tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/ZachCallison/status/1084013493521530880?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Honestly one thing I like is Steven is allowed to gently caress up, and he fucks up in really spectacular ways and he actually suffers consequences for it - and they're usually fucks in the vein of him doing what he thinks is a good thing but either not thinking things through or meddling when he really should have left things alone.

For all the world spanning alien space rocks being imperialist dicks, it's kind of refreshing the show touches on that a lot of conflicts happens because of miscommunication or hurt feelings and it's not because someone is being bad.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
e;fb so I'll say this instead

anyone hear about the upcoming Sony film The Mitchells vs. the Machines? It won't come out till next year, but it has Lord and Miller as producers and is directed by Michael Rianda (creative director on the first season of Gravity Falls)

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 12, 2019

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Just saw HTTYD 3 and it's a bit good. Better than alright. Whether you like it or not might hinge on whether you find the plot point of Toothless being the speshulest dragon ever tolerable or grating. (I'm the latter).

A couple of things:

Early on, its explicitly established that our main cast is not good at teamwork. They start to realise this and try to do better, but that doesn't matter because almost nothing outside of what Hiccup and Toothless are doing at the moment is relevant. It's a shame because HTTYD has really compelling supporting characters, but none of them get a chance to grow like they did in the first since they're all delegated to comic relief and busy (and they're very busy) fight scenes.

Hiccup makes a massive decision to leave the original Berk and... absolutely nothing comes of it. Some characters disagree. Then they agree. You'd think a community of vikings would cause a bit more of an uproar, but they happily follow and I don't think there really was any payoff to starting a new Berk. They could have moved back to the old one, or stayed in the new one and barring the dragon situation, nothing would have changed. I would have loved to see more dragon inspired architecture in new-Berk outside of a couple of engravings, dragons are a massive part of their history after all, but that's a nitpick really.

The lightfury is just as homewrecker-y as the trailers portray. She has her redemption toward the end as expected, but she's not likeable at all. For all my crits, I think the movie could have been leagues better if they just extended her personality beyond 'glossy eyed animal'. The dragon dating scenes went for absolutely ages, so there was plenty of time to establish one.

It is a very pretty movie though. I really liked how goddamn chaotic the sweep of Berk was near the beginning. Compared to the first, where you saw Berk clearly and deliberately, 3 has it being all awful and chaotic. You can barely rest your eyes because the place is just swarming with dragons now. Something has to be done about all these darn dragons, and as sad as it is to see them go, both the dragons and humans are better off with a healthy amount of separation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Heck, Steven himself doesn't realise it until another character returns to the dynamic and flat out says 'Dude, you're obviously the leader, everyone listens to you and follows your lead now'.

The wind down from big events also helps the tone, makes all these massive crises and world-changing events feel like more than just another day at the office.

On the Light Fury that she's deeply afraid of humans, confused by the idea of Hiccup being so close with a dragon and only really originally interested in Toothless because he's likewise the first male of her species she's possibly ever met, all makes sense considering. They probably could have developed her more... if the movie wasn't already completely overstuffed as it is. There's like, three movies worth of plots going on there.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's like, three movies worth of plots going on there.

Is it jist me, or is this a weird trend? I've seen a half dozen AAA movies in the last year where this was my big complaint. Only one I think pulled it off well was Spiderverse.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

it's not just you, and it's definitely an issue you see a lot more in sequels. Even back to Raimi Spidey the third movie had the issue of having one too many villains (Sandman could easily be cut), one too many personal issues for Peter, and they try to haphazardly tie it all together at the end for a weak finale.

Illumination and Blue Sky does tend to overstuff their films with multiple weak plots

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Spider-man 3 did have the excuse that the execs wanted Venom and Raimi really didn't, but even without him there'd probably be too much going on. Do they come up with a million different drafts for sequels and end up mashing them together?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

This is at least partly CN fault. Working and working and not ever being able to release it has got to be a big stressor. I was mostly considering the animators, but it's got to be hell on the voice cast too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Steven Universe seems like one of those shows where a lot of people think they're making important points complaining about it when they very obviously haven't watched any significant amount of it and are going off third-hand internet stereotypes and blind assumptions based on their impressions of the fanbase from years ago.

It does do things differently from a lot of shows in that big arcs tend to strike suddenly and have a lot of wind-down episodes, rather than the opposite where they build up to a climax that's basically forgotten the next episode.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Steven Universe seems like one of those shows where a lot of people think they're making important points complaining about it when they very obviously haven't watched any significant amount of it

There is only so much bad 'writing', art, and music you can expect people to suffer through though. Nobody wants to dig into a dumpster full of used needles and dirty diapers to find :20bux:.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I love HTTYD far too much to go anywhere near those spoilers, but I have one question:
How's the soundtrack?

The first two have awesome music, and my only complaint is how short the singing with Valka and Stoic is in the second movie. It feels like they're about to hit you with some top tier Disney musical number, and then the song is over as soon as it starts. Such a shame

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All I care about is Powell’s score too. It’s one of the best of all time.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

LeJackal posted:

bad (...) music

:chloe:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

LeJackal posted:

There is only so much bad 'writing', art, and music you can expect people to suffer through though. Nobody wants to dig into a dumpster full of used needles and dirty diapers to find :20bux:.

Whew, good thing Steven Universe doesn't have any of those problems

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I love HTTYD far too much to go anywhere near those spoilers, but I have one question:
How's the soundtrack?

The first two have awesome music, and my only complaint is how short the singing with Valka and Stoic is in the second movie. It feels like they're about to hit you with some top tier Disney musical number, and then the song is over as soon as it starts. Such a shame

It’s fine, nothing really stuck out to me. There’s no diegetic singing this time around.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Disney cancelled their live action Pinocchio remake (that would have had plenty of cgi animation.)

Netflix is still making theirs, which Del Toro is directing.

Disappointing to hear the last Dragons is not super great. I could kinda tell from the trailers that I wasn't going to love it but I was hoping after a really lackluster second movie that they would pull out all the stops for the third. Sounds like they did that visually but that the story is still ehhh. Granted, the bit in the trailer with the Light Fury and the "I will destroy everything you love" villain were some red flags.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1085673050949922816

Please stop

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh man. I’m not looking forward to what they do with Quasimodo.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Honestly that's one movie I can see worth remaking, long as they cut the Gargoyles or completely rewrite them so they're not so tonally jarring and ignore the people whining about Quasi not getting the girl.

But I don't have high hopes for them.

Honestly, I'm more concern about how they'll handle Esmeralda since Roma prejudice is alive and still considered not just socially acceptable but Right and Proper in many parts of Europe.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Scarlett Johansson will play her

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
On the one hand The Hunchback of Notre Dame had a lot of problems that could be addressed in a remake, but on the other hand there's no way in hell they're topping this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NP-RsRGzVo

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Copy & paste whatever I said about the last Disney remake I said something about

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Robindaybird posted:

Honestly that's one movie I can see worth remaking, long as they cut the Gargoyles or completely rewrite them so they're not so tonally jarring and ignore the people whining about Quasi not getting the girl.

But I don't have high hopes for them.

Honestly, I'm more concern about how they'll handle Esmeralda since Roma prejudice is alive and still considered not just socially acceptable but Right and Proper in many parts of Europe.

First of all, I agree with you about the gargoyles.

However, I think reducing people's legitimate complaints about Quasi not getting a romantic interest down to "whining" is kind of lovely. Yes, I know Quasimodo not ending up with Esmeralda works better with the story because it's meant to directly contrast how his lovely dad is unable to see women as people, but Quasi is because he's a better, kinder, and more rounded person. However, Disney still chose to tell this story with their only disabled protagonist. In literally every other animated Disney movie up until that point the protagonist had a love interest, but in the one was a disabled protagonist not only was he not allowed to have a romantic relationship, but two able bodied side characters fell in love instead. This wouldn't be so bad if Disney had some other movies with disabled protagonists, but they didn't then and they still don't now.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Solution: in addition to finding his self-esteem, Quasimodo will also embrace his long-suppressed feelings for Phoebus. Meanwhile, Esmeralda don't need no man.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sir Lemming posted:

Solution: in addition to finding his self-esteem, Quasimodo will also embrace his long-suppressed feelings for Phoebus. Meanwhile, Esmeralda don't need no man.

Also, Esmeralda is elected Prime Minister of France and creates a better society for everyone.

If the live action movie does all, I'll go see it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Let Frollo be an actual priest instead of making him a judge to placate the Christians and excise every use of the word "gypsy" to trigger racist Europeans. For extra bonus progressive signalling have Esmerelda the the rest of her band of travelers be coded as refugees or illegal immigrants.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
One obvious problem here is that Quasimodo looks very much like Donald Trump, which really spoils the whole message about looking deeper to the substance of a person, because the person we know in real life who looks like this actually is exactly as bad as he looks.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
there's gonna be gargoyles. gonna be hella gargoyles

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
No Jeremy Irons, no sale. He's too perfect for a live action Frollo, now that Tony Jay is gone.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Looper posted:

there's gonna be gargoyles. gonna be hella gargoyles

If this is a stealth remake of the gargoyles TV show then I'm all for it.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Guy Mann posted:

For extra bonus progressive signalling have Esmerelda the the rest of her band of travelers be coded as refugees or illegal immigrants.

Yes, do this. Always do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIIWy3TZ1eI&t=1195s

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The gargoyles song is catchy, fight me. Tonally it's happening while the city is literally burning down but... it's catchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Christopher Lee would have been an amazing Frollo as well, especially considering the singing he had done throughout his life :smith: