Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
But if you’re on an IFR flight plan what’s going on outside is more or less irrelevant, what would happen if you were actually in clouds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

But if you’re on an IFR flight plan what’s going on outside is more or less irrelevant, what would happen if you were actually in clouds?

Depends if you're remaining in at least class C airspace. That's completely possible for a multi-IFR ride at CYBW. Otherwise you still need to provide your own separation from VFR traffic in VMC. This is obviously not an issue in the clouds because VFR traffic would not be in the clouds in the first place.

Still, she's not the only examiner around here who does that, and she doesn't require it (I did mine with her wearing the hood).

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
If that bothers you, you’d be appalled at how many airliners are flying around every day with every inch of window covered up. :downs:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Like why though? I fly a pretty good mix of VFR and IFR and I can’t think of any reason to cover up windscreens.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Bob A Feet posted:

Like why though? I fly a pretty good mix of VFR and IFR and I can’t think of any reason to cover up windscreens.

Don’t have to wear a view-limiting device if you can’t see outside *tapping temple*

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bob A Feet posted:

Make a 2+ hour flight towards the sun around sunrise or sunset on a cloudless day and you’ll understand.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I think he may have been asking more about the training scenario. And in that, the reason is to only allow the student to look at the instruments. A standard hood or foggles are a joke if the student wants to cheat and see outside.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
my instrument DPE died in a midair while on another checkride so maybe just peek at the student on the ride every so often and keep your eyes outside for traffic

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

e.pilot posted:

Make a 2+ hour flight towards the sun around sunrise or sunset on a cloudless day and you’ll understand.

Granted but a cleverly placed sun visor or QRC will block out most of the direct sunlight. It's also why I have a couple squares of removable window tint film in my bag :sun:

Also, even though some of us are operating in Class A airspace under IFR 95% of the time we are still operating under the principle of "see and avoiding" traffic as per 91.113 (b):

quote:

When weather conditions permit, regardless of whether an operation is conducted under instrument flight rules or visual flight rules, vigilance shall be maintained by each person operating an aircraft so as to see and avoid other aircraft. When a rule of this section gives another aircraft the right-of-way, the pilot shall give way to that aircraft and may not pass over, under, or ahead of it unless well clear.

*rules and regulations may vary country by country

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Also, for every questionable story about the instructor/examiner in question, there's an equally badass awesome story. One of my friends did both his commercial and multi-engine rides with her and both produced excellent stories.

On the commercial ride, she'd told him to do a precautionary approach at a grass strip. We don't typically do grass/gravel landings during training even at the commercial level, we just practice the applicable technique on paved runways, so my buddy assumed the flight test would be no different, and on final he said "let me know when you want me to overshoot."

"No, we're landing!"

"But I've never actually landed on a grass strip before."

"Well, why do you think we teach you this poo poo???"

He landed successfully and passed his flight test.

Then on his multi ride, he had almost finished the flight test and had taxiied off the runway past the hold-short bars, and stopped to do the post-landing checklist. Tower started giving him poo poo for taking too long, and without missing a beat, the examiner got on the radio and said, in her typical very pleasant older-lady voice, "he is on his flight test, and he is doing his checklist! We will move after he finishes his checklist!" Zero fucks given.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Again, I don't give a poo poo about any of that good stuff. All of it is overridden by the fact that she is a manipulative and abusive person who treated her employees like absolute poo poo back when she had her own flying school (unless it's still open, that is, in which case she's still abusing her employees). Get over this mentality that she's going to make you stronger by her attitude - it's 2019 for gently caress sake, her sort of poo poo doesn't fly in literally any other industry, why do we tolerate it in aviation?

Also, ask anyone who flew back in the day at blue and teal about their experiences with her. Guarantee you they will say nothing positive.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It's almost as if different people respond differently to different teaching styles?

:thunk:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you can only teach in one style, and especially if that style comes off as abrasive and unpleasant to people who don't respond to it, you aren't a very good teacher.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I'm not saying she's the gold standard of flight instructing, and I certainly don't try to model my instructional technique off hers too closely, but I did like flying with her and I think I learned a decent amount from her, and I've heard a lot of things from other people who feel the same way (as well as a good number who completely disagree, to be fair).

Stringent posted:

It's almost as if different people respond differently to different teaching styles?

:thunk:

To be honest, I think this is why Mt. Royal's policy of "you fly with whoever the gently caress is available" is right, and having a primary instructor full-time for an entire license or rating is bad. I don't want to pick up my instructor's lovely habits, and I don't want my students to pick up my bad habits or idiosyncrasies because they've only ever flown with me. And, frankly, if I'm having trouble getting a specific thing through to them (like the GODDAMN FLARE), I want a decent outside opinion on it without it seeming like there's some kind of unusual/punitive situation going on.

The worst thing is when I have students that like flying with me more than with other instructors, but I can't get them to perform well at a specific thing for whatever reason. It's not that I don't want to fly with you, I just need a second opinion from someone that's seen what mistakes you're making in case they have a different strategy that could help you. I'M TRYING TO BE HELPFUL HERE, DAMMIT!

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

e.pilot posted:

We’re you on an IFR flight plan?

I can't tell if you're being facetious or if you are genuinely encouraging GA pilots to go around blind "Because you're on an IFR flight plan"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

I can't tell if you're being facetious or if you are genuinely encouraging GA pilots to go around blind "Because you're on an IFR flight plan"

My CFI said I could go up with a hood and no safety pilot as long as I was on an IFR flight plan and stayed in class C.

This from the guy who's so conservative when it comes to safety that he removed the windshield heater from our FIKI-equipped Seneca because we shouldn't be flying into icing (read: any cloud for half the goddamn year around here) for training anyway :psyduck: I mean, I see his point on that from a safety stand-point, but it doesn't really square with "sure go fly under the hood with no safety pilot."

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

PT6A posted:

This from the guy who's so conservative when it comes to safety that he removed the windshield heater from our FIKI-equipped Seneca because we shouldn't be flying into icing (read: any cloud for half the goddamn year around here) for training anyway

This is bad bad bad logic.

I don’t want you driving friends around town so I removed the passenger airbag.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rickety Cricket posted:

Mostly facetious, I wouldn’t by any means encourage it, but it’s not the end of the world.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

e.pilot posted:

Mostly facetious, I wouldn’t by any means encourage it, but it’s not the end of the world.

Airliners are well controlled and hardly ever in the vicinity of one another. IFR bugsmashers are in the vicinity of VFR bugsmashers all the time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rolo posted:

This is bad bad bad logic.

I don’t want you driving friends around town so I removed the passenger airbag.

Ohhhh, I agree. I mean, I think we probably shouldn't be flying into icing for training flights -- that's the part I agree with, even if I'd like experience in those conditions and to be able to fly in actual IMC during our horrid winters -- but I don't know why the gently caress they removed the windshield heater. Seems pretty stupid, exactly as you describe.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Rickety Cricket posted:

Airliners are well controlled and hardly ever in the vicinity of one another. IFR bugsmashers are in the vicinity of VFR bugsmashers all the time.

Airliners (especially for regional carriers) are sometimes in the vicinity of various bug smashers, sometimes in non-radar environments, and we'd appreciate it if they have a chance to see us before we run them over.

The closest I've come to hitting another airplane was when I came within about 300' vertically of a Cessna 182 going into GPI in a Q400, since he was maneuvering directly under part of the RNP approach track, and had an intermittent transponder that meant our TCAS didn't pick anything up until about three seconds before we flew directly over him.

From follow up phone calls with the FAA, I learned that it was just a case of "wrong place, wrong time" and the swiss cheese holes lining up almost perfectly (GPI tower is non-radar, the Cessna was outside their airspace, and had given a position report that lead the tower controller and us to think he was a couple miles away from his actual position), so I'd consider intentionally covering windows on an IFR flight plan to be a really stupid idea.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's very common for aircraft to play around just outside of class D airspace so that they don't have to call the tower. It's great when they do this at the final approach fix and at the glide path altitude.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

and having a primary instructor full-time for an entire license or rating is bad. I don't want to pick up my instructor's lovely habits, and I don't want my students to pick up my bad habits or idiosyncrasies because they've only ever flown with me. A

It's a fair point, but from a student perspective flying with multiple instructors can be a pain in the rear end if they're not following a very standardized way of teaching and operating the airplane. I have flown with 4 counting the guy who did my PPL checkride and am pretty sure I've received conflicting advice from all of them. I then have to filter through it and evaluate each instructors perspective and figure out what to actually follow. It's stuff like using trim for steep turns or not, when to use carb heat, when to turn base to final, when to begin descent when in the pattern, if flaps should be raised during the rollout etc etc etc. A lot of it is airplane specific so I tend to go with whoever has the most time on type but it's still irritating.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

sanchez posted:

It's a fair point, but from a student perspective flying with multiple instructors can be a pain in the rear end if they're not following a very standardized way of teaching and operating the airplane. I have flown with 4 counting the guy who did my PPL checkride and am pretty sure I've received conflicting advice from all of them. I then have to filter through it and evaluate each instructors perspective and figure out what to actually follow. It's stuff like using trim for steep turns or not, when to use carb heat, when to turn base to final, when to begin descent when in the pattern, if flaps should be raised during the rollout etc etc etc. A lot of it is airplane specific so I tend to go with whoever has the most time on type but it's still irritating.

I had a bit of this as well in my helo training, had three instructors and I'd get their slightly varying takes on certain things, so I'd do it the way I had been taught by one and then another would correct me/tell me a slightly different thing when they were with me.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/sta...ingawful.com%2F

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There is nothing crazy or out of the ordinary about PBI having to vector airplanes all over the sky.

Edit for example: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/GAJ512

This was after the controller at the last center sector did a bunch of vectoring to get the requested intrail, PBI shut the gate on him at the last minute, which is their signature move.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 18, 2019

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

e.pilot posted:

I have. I still don’t understand the logic. I also fly unpressurized so I’m limited to below 10k for the most part so I’m very much in bug smasher territory. If someone threw a sectional up in the window to block the sun I’d think they were insane. Im assuming it’s different 18k and up.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MrChips posted:

Again, I don't give a poo poo about any of that good stuff. All of it is overridden by the fact that she is a manipulative and abusive person who treated her employees like absolute poo poo back when she had her own flying school (unless it's still open, that is, in which case she's still abusing her employees). Get over this mentality that she's going to make you stronger by her attitude - it's 2019 for gently caress sake, her sort of poo poo doesn't fly in literally any other industry, why do we tolerate it in aviation?

Also, ask anyone who flew back in the day at blue and teal about their experiences with her. Guarantee you they will say nothing positive.

Nightmare check instructor chat, eh? My Instrument checkride was with a codger (who also had a "hitting students" problem) notorious for sharing his misery with others and having his own interpretation of the FARs (which, if you gave him the actual FAR interpretation, you were wrong), which prompted some instructors to set up "integrity check" flights with him which were actually "get used to this guy before you fly with him when it really counts and also take note of which airport you go to because you'll go to one of two and the OTHER will be on the checkride" flights.

The checkride started with me calling "airspeed alive" (as I'd done on every dual flight since day one) and being met with "I DON'T CARE!", was followed by him refusing to allow me to cruise out the airplane per the checklist (as I'd done on every flight since day one; I'd walk the throttle back and he'd firewall it), and nearly busted me on altitude because I was at rental power (and admittedly too tensed up to thinking about trimming the plane to compensate). We landed and he grumbled "I'll start the paperwork" and waddled inside, with me saying to myself "I THINK I passed...?". (I did.) He also nearly failed a student whose primary language was German (spoke fluent English) for copying down ATC IFR instructions using his own shorthand because he was taking too long to readback.

When offered to "tag team" my Commercial between my primary instructor (who kicked rear end) and ^him^, I turned it down. It was years later that I learned how little anyone at the FBO actually liked putting up with him and even dropping his name to the head of their A&P shop prompted a response containing "Motherfucker" at some point.

sanchez posted:

Agreed. I flew with three for Private and all three had different styles of flying. In the end, I tried to become a "best-of" of all their ideas but went with the law of primacy on much of it and defaulted back to the first guy.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 18, 2019

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Were any of these nightmare checks in the greater Georgia area? I almost busted my instrument with a real piece of poo poo old bastard.

“If you look before I tell you to look you bust.” We get to minimums at the end of the check, he didn’t tell me to take my foggles off, I call that I’m going to go missed, he yells “WE ARENT GOING AROUND drat IT, LAND!”

He grabs my foggles off my face, loving up my headset and scaring the poo poo out of me. We’re at like 200 feet.

gently caress you.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Bob A Feet posted:

I have. I still don’t understand the logic. I also fly unpressurized so I’m limited to below 10k for the most part so I’m very much in bug smasher territory. If someone threw a sectional up in the window to block the sun I’d think they were insane. Im assuming it’s different 18k and up.

Not sectionals, safety briefing cards. Or if you're desperate a copy of USA today.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I got intercepted by F-18's over the Pacific when we had all the sun shades up and a laptop on the glare shield of our KC-130 with a movie going, once.

In my defense I was not yet a pilot at that point in my life.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

overdesigned posted:

I got intercepted by F-18's over the Pacific when we had all the sun shades up and a laptop on the glare shield of our KC-130 with a movie going, once.

Did they want gas?

How does that work anyway? I understand the whole male prong into female receptacle. More like for big operations, is there just a tanker orbiting somewhere where if you’re low on fuel you just swing by for a fill up? Or does everything have to be arranged ahead of time?

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 20, 2019

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'd imagine if the air force is good at one thing by now it's scheduling flights and refueling points, I doubt they just circle around randomly and get called up like uber.

During the cold war I remember there was talk of some massive nuclear powered fuel tanker along the lines of the Convair NB-36H that would be able to just circle for months and refuel whoever, but I don't think it ever really got out of the talking phase

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 20, 2019

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Nuclear powered aircraft seem like a reasonable idea until one inevitably crashes and renders the surrounding area permanently uninhabitable.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Did they want gas?

How does that work anyway? I understand the whole male prong into female receptacle. More like for big operations, is there just a tanker orbiting somewhere where if you’re low on fuel you just swing by for a fill up? Or does everything have to be arranged ahead of time?

In large operations over bad places, there are usually tankers of various types for various aircraft (ie, boom tankers and drogue tankers) orbiting at almost all times. The rendezvous and give/take in pounds is organized a day or two prior. not uncommon for some aircraft to tank a few times during the period of a mission.

for training flights, my unit, through our chain of command, schedules a c-130 unit to support us. since USMC C-130 units are terrible terrible units, we usually just schedule with air national guard units so we can actually accomplish our training.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Someone more familiar with it than me, tell the Robin Olds story where he threatened to shoot down a tanker that didn't wanna give him or his flight gas.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'd imagine if the air force is good at one thing by now it's scheduling flights and refueling points, I doubt they just circle around randomly and get called up like uber.

My previous company (Pivotal)was called in to help the USAF unfuck their software development situation and teach them ~~agile principles~~. The first thing they did to prove their worth to the air force was to improve the tanker scheduling from spreadsheets (if it was even that) to some custom software. This saves them something like 1.5m a day.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Our local friendly class 1 instructor advised my to take Mr. No-Flare back to the practice area and re-teach slow flight, and it went well and I think he's flaring much better and slightly more consistently now. I have no idea why our CFI (who is only a class 2 instructor, meaning he can supervise but not teach instructor candidates) told me never to take a circuit student back out of the circuit for additional practice on the fundamentals, but I have the feeling had he not told me explicitly not to do that, I'd have saved a lot of time, frustration, and this student's money.

I just don't want to get bitched at for doing what I was told even if I thought it was a stupid idea, or for not doing what I was told even though someone more experienced recommended it. loving class 4 supervision requirements...

EDIT: I think the supervision system is decent in concept but it's predicated on supervising instructors who give a gently caress and are willing to give thoughtful advice, and we're well short of them at the moment. Maybe I'll fight through and get a class 2 and help solve this problem in a year or two... :unsmith:

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 21, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Take a page from the American CFI system and just do what you think the student needs so long as they can fly to standards on their check rides. :v:

I think I mentioned it a few pages back when you brought up this student, but when I have students that have that problem I’ve been known to put power in and hold a flare down the runway a foot or two off the ground to burn in that flare slight picture for them.

There are a few “weird” things I’ve found I can demo that can really help students overcome frustrating stumbling blocks like that. My other favorite demo to do is for students that over control, by flying an entire pattern from just after rotation to just before the flare with nothing but trim and rudder.

Damnit I miss teaching. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

overdesigned posted:

I've wondered what the hell you would do to pass the time on a trans-pacific flight in a turboprop.