Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
do you know how many ladles full it takes to fill a soup bowl from the ranch tub?

like, dozens of ladles full

and people just stood there, with purpose, dunking ladle after ladle into a bowl till it was full of ranch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
ranch as a popular condiment is a strange disease that I'm not sure of the epidemiology on

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

ranch

or cool ranch

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

lancemantis posted:

ranch as a popular condiment is a strange disease that I'm not sure of the epidemiology on

limited entirely to america, an endemic disease here

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lancemantis posted:

when your food is so greasy/salty that's all you can taste you need the refreshing combo of buttermilk and garlic powder to cut through it

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my first encounter with it was when I was a kid at a bowling alley for a birthday party or something and somebody got like onion rings and they came with ranch and I thought that was gross as hell wtf thats like salad dressing

i'm guessing that was sometime in the 90s maybe

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sniep posted:

do you know how many ladles full it takes to fill a soup bowl from the ranch tub?

like, dozens of ladles full

and people just stood there, with purpose, dunking ladle after ladle into a bowl till it was full of ranch

thats why they have ranch fountains now, much quicker to fill up bowls

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
there are a couple of SA-notorious walls of text about golden corral that you can probably find in the pyf quotes thread

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

for some reason i have a pet peeve about people calling ranch dressing just "ranch," e.g. all the above posts referring to a "big bowl of ranch" or whatever

also when people call parmesan cheese just "parmesan"

i know it's irrational, but it's like hearing someone say ambliance or psgetti. ugh

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Lol if you eat something called "parmesan cheese" and not Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

for some reason i have a pet peeve about people calling ranch dressing just "ranch," e.g. all the above posts referring to a "big bowl of ranch" or whatever

i know it's irrational, but it's like hearing someone say ambliance or psgetti. ugh

Go back to your cage, gramps.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I too hate the streamlining and evolution of casual language

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

what about 'za

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sagebrush posted:

just lol if you let anyone call it american cheese instead of "american processed cheese byproduct" as legally required on labels

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i like that parmesan and champagne are serious sticking points in US-EU trade negotiations

also bourbon, wisconsin/vermont cheddar, etc but clearly THATS DIFFERENT

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

what about 'za

'za is fine

Suds & pie until I die
'za and brew until I spew

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i've never heard 'za actually used

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Not much, what's 'za with you?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lancemantis posted:

i've never heard 'za actually used

i think its mainly a text thing

regardless, i like the entire "wait thats an actual place?" reactions for food products. eg americans not knowing parma is a place, chinese not knowing that kentucky is a place, etc.

(also the latter is absolutely actually a thing, more than one grad student in my dad's department said that they only looked at kentucky because they were surprised that it was an actual place and not just the name of KFC)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

i like that parmesan and champagne are serious sticking points in US-EU trade negotiations

Vermont cheddar is flavorless trash

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

mystes posted:

Lol if you eat something called "parmesan cheese" and not Parmigiano-Reggiano.

do i look like im loving made of money

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jabor posted:

Not much, what's 'za with you?
about five pounds

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jit bull transpile posted:

exactly, so if you go to europe and buy something that says "wisconsin cheddar" on it should that imply that its cheddar cheese from wisconsin and not actually from vermont or some local "wisconsin style cheddar"?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"sando" is haram

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
'za is an open faced sando

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Golden Corral is great for if you want to feel better about your body and watch hordes of adults make absolutely horrendous food choices.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

turn your monitor on

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
love eating greek style salad cheese now that feta is protected in europe

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

get better vermont cheddar

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it was on the news this mroing a mother in ar who had corral her three kids

can someone post an English translation plz

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Chris Knight posted:

would it be fair to say, that you do not get the joke

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Chris Knight posted:

this is what the refrance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll-lia-FEIY

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

is this a new thing? you can still buy champagne made in the US if it was from an brand established before 2006

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Destroyenator posted:

love eating greek style salad cheese now that feta is protected in europe

gruyere is swiss cheese now, you have to ask for comte or belfort if you want the french stuff that melts better

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lampey posted:

is this a new thing? you can still buy champagne made in the US if it was from an brand established before 2006

its not new, dipshit mega corps in europe have been fighting for years to take back long genericized food terms so they can open a garbage factory int he vague area of a product origin from 700 years ago, and monopolize sales with it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lampey posted:

more or less, france is mad about it of course but slightly less mad than before https://vinepair.com/wine-blog/loophole-california-champagne-legal/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

san marzano tomatoes are a great example, there's only like 30 farms that have actually been growing that variety for a long time but somehow tens of millions of pounds of dop-labeled "san marzano tomatoes" are sold every year

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

lampey posted:

There's a California champagne by Paul Masson, inspired by that same French excellence.

*falls over drunk*

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Xaris posted:

ive never been to one but it always seems like an exciting adventure. i went to hometown buffet a few times with my parents in the early 2000s, those were OK? like super mediocre but iirc no one sticking hands in salad bars and grabbing food out of the bins with their hands and licking their fingers or anything. also iirc no chocolate fountain

imo the only good buffet is Indian buffet because indian food as it it's best when its a bunch of things like tikka masala, tandori, saag paneer, dal, korma, etc but ordering each of those ala carte is too loving expensive

even among buffets, golden corral is terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

The village of Champagne, Switzerland, has traditionally made a still wine labelled as "Champagne", the earliest records of viticulture dated to 1657. In an accord with the EU, the Swiss government conceded in 1999 that by 2004 the village would phase out use of the name. Sales dropped from 110,000 bottles a year to 32,000 after the change. In April 2008 the villagers resolved to fight against the restriction following a Swiss open-air vote.

hosed up if true