Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

whats the point on this chart where i tell you to gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually i guess that'd be anger, huh

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I'm happy it's finally happening and I personally don't want to jump immediately to "gently caress NISA they're just going to gently caress this up anyway" but maaaan... I really hope they do this game justice. Also kind of a bummer because I don't own a console, but I wouldn't expect a day and date PC version from XSEED either. I just hope it doesn't take too long. Dodging the spoiler minefield is probably gonna be much harder when it's out in english

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endorph posted:

actually i guess that'd be anger, huh

If you offered him something to gently caress off it could be bargaining

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I guess I should be impressed at Falcom's choice to make the worst possible decision.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

If you offered him something to gently caress off it could be bargaining
if i mumbled it it could be depression

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endorph posted:

if i mumbled it it could be depression

The important thing is we are finding solutions.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

the falcom music channel renamed a track from Cold Steel 3 from Doomsday Trance into Doodsday Trance.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ChaosSora posted:

Sean has been posting in threads on /v/ and /fg/ for the past hour or so, his reason for continuing to voice Rean was pretty interesting.

I really really like this guy.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i think people would be a lot more willing to sit back and hope for good news if nisa hadn't bungled the announcement tweet

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I seem to remember posting this rumor in here months ago and being told it would never happen.

Want a pc port :(

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

On the bright side, this means theres actual merchandise for the series in the west? Sure its overpriced, but I'm a weak soul that needs those Gaius and Sara keychains.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/Cerzel/status/1085939781664616449?s=19

Gimme that merch

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh my god, that Tita keychain.

AND THAT TOWA KEYCHAIN.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ain't preordering, and I probably won't pick it up for another year bare minimum. Way to go Falcom, my interest in the franchise has hit a brick wall.

I'm not going to go all "never gonna get it" because I know how I am, but NISA has never earned the benefit of the doubt and this announcement doesn't change that. Jesus, what a kick to the balls.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

This is incredibly depressing, though I acknowledge that it'll still likely be a week 1 purchase for me. Probably not preordering though, and when I say "week 1" I really mean "will see what the first impressions are upon release." Too invested in the series at this point to just skip it due to NISA, so I'll just hesitantly hope it's at least acceptable.

edit: Is there any word on the return of the other VAs, or is it just Chiplock who's confirmed so far?

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 17, 2019

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
After seeing this joked about so much after YS8, it's surreal to see this news being real. I suppose it'll have to be a wait and see now, though XSEED wasn't really in a good position either, so I guess this doesn't quite sting as much to me. Hopefully they got the key people from Trails series helping out. Though I'm also really worried about the QA, because their track record with that has been really terrible.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
As if the shocking job NISA's done with Ys VIII and Disgaea 5 on PC wasn't enough to put me off, the other problem is that what with the currency over in the UK tanking due to Brexit, and NISA's habit of overpricing everything they put on Steam with a crap currency conversion to boot, the game's likely to cost £50 or more over here when it comes out on PC. And that's even if a PC version ever happens, and assuming it doesn't randomly get delayed by six months weeks before release.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

This is incredibly depressing, though I acknowledge that it'll still likely be a week 1 purchase for me. Probably not preordering though, and when I say "week 1" I really mean "will see what the first impressions are upon release." Too invested in the series at this point to just skip it due to NISA, so I'll just hesitantly hope it's at least acceptable.

edit: Is there any word on the return of the other VAs, or is it just Chiplock who's confirmed so far?

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I hope they've learned and don't gently caress this up as bad as they have other things in recent memory but I'm not confident.

I hope they get most of the same VA cast back, too. Cam Clarke, Matt Mercer, Taliesin Jaffe, D.C. Douglas, Carrie Keranen, Kimberly Brooks, Ashly Burch and so on. They had a lot of good actors there and I don't wanna see them replaced.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Yea the voice acting for cold steel was really well done and it would be good if they all came back.

This isn't a day one purchase from me, I'm gonna wait and see how bad NISA screwed it up first.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
What if the localizers they brought back were carpe fulgur

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Overbite posted:

What if the localizers they brought back were carpe fulgur

That would certainly be a twist.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Virulence posted:

I hope they get most of the same VA cast back, too. Cam Clarke, Matt Mercer, Taliesin Jaffe, D.C. Douglas, Carrie Keranen, Kimberly Brooks, Ashly Burch and so on. They had a lot of good actors there and I don't wanna see them replaced.

I didn't realize it was quite that stacked a cast. I'm pretty sure I've seen Cassandra Morris say she likes playing Fie, so hopefully that's another we'd get back.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Sara, Fie, and Laura were all amazing. Hotburn the Flame Edge was pretty lame, but Duvalee was good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ray Chase was Duke Cayenne

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I really hope they get Erika Lindbeck as Clotilde, because she was fantastic.

Also, holy crap, I didn't realize that Celine and Elise were voiced by the same actress who did 2B.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Is there any reason to think that they wouldn't get the voice actors back? A bunch of them were in Ys VIII and have probably been in other NISA games so it's not like there's some aversion there

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Overbite posted:

Sara, Fie, and Laura were all amazing. Hotburn the Flame Edge was pretty lame, but Duvalee was good.

Duvalie was absolutely perfect. She made me crack up every time she was on screen.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Beyond a different company doing the localization? There was one thing, but I don't think it's relevant to bring up considering some of the things mentioned so far.

The main reason they'll get most of the VA's back though is that NISA seems desperate to do damage control for this announcement already since I've seen too many people who tend to know things constantly bring up the panel NISA is doing at PAX south as some sort of magical announcement that'll calm everyone down. So NISA is probably going to be jumping through as many hoops as they can to get everyone back.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
NISA, the company that announced a pc port of killer seven by showing a trailer that was literally just dolphin emulator footage with the FPS counter

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
To be fair to that one, the port they actually released at the end is pretty solid. But yeah that was pretty dumb.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Alard posted:

Beyond a different company doing the localization? There was one thing, but I don't think it's relevant to bring up considering some of the things mentioned so far.

I dunno maybe my NISA distrust isn't high enough but purposefully replacing voice actors in an established series with a dedicated following seems like it ventures into being almost spiteful. Like, maybe they won't be able to get every single one back because of scheduling or whatever but I have to imagine they'll make every effort to :shrug:

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

That's literally what the second half of my post said

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

You're framing it as some sort of damage control, though, like they wouldn't do it if people weren't so mad?

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Fair, I've been letting my annoyance at this stuff get to me all day. And yeah they would, my point, if I hadn't messed up with it, was supposed to be that they'll probably go to extra lengths to really make sure they get everyone back since they have to deal with these reactions.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
In the end, what will end up mattering most isn't very likely to come up in that PAX panel later today. It's whether the project planners and middle management, none of whom will be brought up tonight, are willing to prioritize quality over meeting their deadlines instead of doing the corner cutting that NISA's kinda infamous for. For all their marketing, Ys VIII for PC had to be delayed because NISA instructed the initial developer to do the most minimalistic porting job they could squeeze into their budget, only to be forced to switch developers after that party couldn't get something functional out of it. A lot of hay will be made out of whatever Trails veterans they've managed to scoop up, but people who were involved with XSeed were employed in cleaning up rushed translations before (Jeff Nussbaum for Ys VIII and Jess Chavez for Tokyo Xanadu) and the result in both cases was a localization that started out fairly strong, only for it to degrade as you got farther and farther into the game. Durante's name was thrown around during the salvage operation of the Ys VIII PC port, only for it to turn out they didn't even listen to what he had to say. For the presence of A-listers on the development team to be more than a marketing stunt, the project planners and budget managers must be willing to give them room to do their job.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah. If anything the best possible sign would be if it got delayed, as weird as that is to say. Hopefully if the PAX panel has an open Q&A, someone actually asks them about that, versus minor romanization consistency issues or ~censored gaming~ or whatever.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
In addition, it'd be good to hear just HOW involved those Trails veterans are. There's a big difference between giving a person like Jess a full-time editing job with time for multiple runs or just sending her the files at the end and then just see whatever bandaids they can squeeze in. Involvement doesn't necessarily mean getting to call the shots.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/VarionTL/status...222031048237056

Erpy fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 18, 2019

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

NISA also just has terrible QA is the other thing so even if they put together a decent script there's probably gonna be some bugs and sloppiness at release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hatsuu is working with NISA on Cold Steel 3. As is Ryan Thomson

Confirmed on the PAX stream.

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/1086320579903287296