Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Barudak posted:

I think every single video game I can think of that is entirely or even pimarily on a ship is dire. Like the best one I can come up with is merely "ok" unless we allow games where you play as a boat/move the boat as core gameplay.

Carrier is hot trash for the person wondering.

It's not an action game, but play return of the Obra Dinn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The Borealis disappeared in some insane Aperture portal experiment right? At that point you could just have insane Tardis like features where the inside of the boat is bigger than the outside and random rooms of the boat can lead to entire pocket dimensions or send you to random points in time and space. Step through a cabin door and suddenly you’re back in Black Mesa at the height of the portal storms or whatever

Or it could shrink and materialize entirely within an elementary school principal's kitchen

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Flannelette posted:

System Shock 2 is more horror than action yeah so if you picked that you could also pick ColdFear, an action game on a boat like the Goldeneye level for a whole game I don't think exists.

From Dusk til Dawn the video game bitch!!!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fallom posted:

Did anyone in this thread know that game even existed before the Civvie video?

I thought not.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sir Lemming posted:

Or it could shrink and materialize entirely within an elementary school principal's kitchen

I appreciate this :golfclap:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arivia posted:

Did anyone in this thread know that game even existed before the Civvie video?

I thought not.

I bought a copy at a thrift store years ago but I hadn’t even tried it before seeing the video

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Fallom posted:

Is it a horror game or a horror themed action game though? It's written by the alone in the dark guy.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Going by Civvie's review, horror-themed action game all the way.

It's also really bad.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:catstare:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What? Is that what the Klobb got renamed from?

EDIT: Thanks Internet, that thing that I'm already using to post here:

https://goldeneye.fandom.com/wiki/Klobb

quote:

The weapon was renamed the Spyder after the weapons switched to fictional names but had to be changed again for legal reasons, as "Spyder" is the trademarked name of a type of paintball gun. The name Klobb was chosen to honor Ken Lobb for his help during the development of the game. The game's manual was printed before this name change took place and the wrong name "Spyder" was used in the manual. Ken Lobb is known as a boisterous, opinionated man, and many believe that the gun's inaccuracy and ineffectiveness could be part of the reason he got the honor of having the gun named after him. Here is an interview with Ken Lobb from Nintendo Everything discussing the renaming of the weapon:

“I was working super hard, whether I was there or back at Nintendo. I took a luxurious weekend off as that game was about four weeks from done to go visit my in-laws in Portland. I called [Rare] on Saturday morning to talk to Martin. He said, ‘We’ve got bad news and good news.’

We’re weeks from launch. The game has to be done. I’m like, ‘Okay, what do you mean? Please tell me.’ They received a letter from Nintendo legal, saying the name of the Spyder had to be changed. It was a gun. If you have one of the first 600,000 or 700,000 copies of GoldenEye, your manual doesn’t say Klobb, it says Spyder. We already printed those manuals, and didn’t know Spyder was the name of an actual paintball gun. They didn’t want to risk it. It obviously looks nothing like this gun, but it’s a name that’s trademarked, so they wanted to change it, but didn’t have time to do a worldwide search. The name had to be unique. So Martin said, ‘We named it after you!’ The people at Rare called me Klobb. ‘So, we named it after you, is that okay?’ I was honored. And little did I know that the game was going to do great. I had no idea it was going to be what it was. The little letter from legal ended up having a nice impact on me, personally. It was appreciated.”

So yeah, the Phantom is a gun that only appears on Frigate and literally nowhere else in the goddamn game, and I really loved it. :negative:

EDIT: I do appreciate and respect it's rarity, though. It adds to the game.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 17, 2019

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Civvie's videos are making me check out classic Shadow Warrior. This game is kicking my rear end after playing through Doom and Doom 2 on ultraviolence only struggling on one or two maps.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

comingafteryouall posted:

Civvie's videos are making me check out classic Shadow Warrior. This game is kicking my rear end after playing through Doom and Doom 2 on ultraviolence only struggling on one or two maps.

I like the boss in level 1 that can take two nuclear warheads straight to the face and keep on going

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

quote:

Dusk sells 69,420 copies a month after launch
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/334425/Dusk_sells_69420_copies_a_month_after_launch.php

The 90s throwback shooter Dusk has sold 69,420 copies since launching as a Steam exclusive last month, according to the game's producer Dave Oshry.

Oshry took to Twitter to celebrate the milestone, where he provided some interesting sales figures compiled after the game properly launched.

Dusk pulled in 8,000 pre-orders and sold 22,000 copies during early access, eventually selling an additional 40,000 after releasing in December 2018.

He attributes the continued success in part to the Steam Winter Sale coinciding with the game's 15 percent launch discount. "Launching before the Steam Winter Sale and extending the discount through the sale was a huge part of our successful launch," he tweeted.

The game sold an average of 1,100 copies per day during the sale, and between 200-500 per day at the game's full price on average since the sale ended.

In closing, Oshry mentioned that the game was on 105,000 wishlists on Steam at its launch, and is currently on around 180,000.

Wishlists are a big factor for determining player interest on Steam, and Oshry pointed out that Dusk's conversion rate from wishlist to purchase was around 15 percent.

nice

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

I love that they named what is hands-down the worst weapon in the game after him. Piss poor damage, wildly inaccurate and with a small magazine. I used to try to kill my friends with slappers long before I tried using the Klobb.

Ironically, when CoD4 came out years later the Skorpion was my favorite gun in that game and was loving deadly in the right hands.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Conduit 2 has a lot of gameplay on an oil rig.

it also has one of the most insane endings which does make a little sense since the big bad was the second president of the united states

https://youtu.be/pUVWS7eloEc

we've come to help.

for a game , not considering the genre, one zero escape game takes place on a replica of the titantic.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
What's your controversial yet positive classic FPS opinion?

I really like the Xen chapters in Half-Life. v:shobon:v They were a nice change of pace, did my favorite thing sci-fi does (get Weird and Cosmic in the final act), and I thought Valve did the best they could given the circumstances, technology, and time constraints.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I liked Xen too. Wasn't as solid as the rest, but it was interesting and not too rough once you get the movement and long jumping down.

I still like Redneck Rampage, warts and all.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Doom 2 has better level design than Doom 1. A lot of it is just the developers becoming more comfortable with mapping, so Ultimate Doom is even better.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
they said controversial

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

There are people who like Doom 2's level design?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
better than episode 2 and 3 of doom 1

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wild T posted:

I love that they named what is hands-down the worst weapon in the game after him. Piss poor damage, wildly inaccurate and with a small magazine. I used to try to kill my friends with slappers long before I tried using the Klobb.

Ironically, when CoD4 came out years later the Skorpion was my favorite gun in that game and was loving deadly in the right hands.

I'll always go to bat for the Klobb when you're playing License to Kill; the spread was just so random, the shooter didn't need to loving aim, and you're dead. Perfect gun for that mode, right alongside the RC-P90 :colbert:

Also, I loving love the sound of the Klobb.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

100 degrees Calcium posted:

There are people who like Doom 2's level design?

there are people who don't? doom 2's level design is leagues ahead of most of doom 1

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I love Xen and I love jumping segments. I really wish the long jump module got more use in the HL series, in its mods, or even in other games. Hitting ctrl just before spacebar is a fun way to activate it and works as a pretty simple skill check, same with crouching in midair after jumping to get that little extra bit of height to climb onto objects.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

My personal shame is that I’ve never beaten Thy Flesh Consumed. By the time I got Ultimate Doom I had already played Doom 2 so many times that going back and replaying Doom 1 maps without all the great D2 monsters just never feels right.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I enjoy the game Outtrigger and think its single player was exactly the sort of single player an arena shooter should have.

I am also the only person i think to ever own a copy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Sandy Petersen is a better mapper than Romero.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Barudak posted:

I enjoy the game Outtrigger and think its single player was exactly the sort of single player an arena shooter should have.

I own it. A friend gave me a copy like a week before I got an Xbox so I didn't put much time in it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Barudak posted:

There's two three of us

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
IMO the main reason people say they dislike the Doom 2 level design so much, is that the vast majority of user levels out there are built for Doom 2 using all the Doom 2 tricks and extra features. This makes it so that people will more readily compare the levels to the stock ones, while the relative paucity of levels that only use Doom 1 stuff makes it easier to forget the less important Doom 1 levels and just think E1 and the various standouts from the other episodes.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

fishmech posted:

IMO the main reason people say they dislike the Doom 2 level design so much, is that the vast majority of user levels out there are built for Doom 2 using all the Doom 2 tricks and extra features. This makes it so that people will more readily compare the levels to the stock ones, while the relative paucity of levels that only use Doom 1 stuff makes it easier to forget the less important Doom 1 levels and just think E1 and the various standouts from the other episodes.

Yeah I remember being really disappointed with the full version of Doom back in the day. Doom 2 was always way more fun. I've always considered E4 as an extension of Doom 2 I'm a way, it doesn't feel much like Doom 1 at all.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
My very first computer game was doom 2 and I've played that one the most, but I still like Ultimate Doom more.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Darkwatch: Curse of the West needs a spirtual successor because the elevator pitch of "Vampire Cowboy" absolutely needs more games.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Barudak posted:

Darkwatch: Curse of the West needs a spirtual successor because the elevator pitch of "Vampire Cowboy" absolutely needs more games.

Gimme more weird westerns, please. I'd actually love for a much belated PC release, I've been intrigued by Darkwatch but I'm much more comfortable with M+K.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Damnation was an absolutely poo poo game but by god it let me shoot a truckload of confederates and there need to be more FPS games where I get to do that.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Cat Mattress posted:

Sandy Petersen is a better mapper than Romero.
This ought not to be a controversial opinion given that Romero's title at the company was "programmer" and Sandy Petersen was literally hired for his natural prowess and creativity at making Doom levels.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Romero’s maps look nicer and have more modern flow. Peterson’s are good too though.

I’d love to see a 2019 sandy peterson map.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Sandy's levels could get overly-stingy with ammo (with added bonus of high enemy counts), and get you into that "Okay where am I supposed to go now?" problem. He does have some that are really memorable in ways that only his maps could be, though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think Doom 2 has overall better levels except for a few of the Earth portions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Wow. Wolfenstein 2 does not get better.

Its like they gave everyone pay raises before firing the entire level design department.