Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel like a lot of these projections are overlooking the fact that the government shutdown is a legitimate, slowly-escalating crisis, the Mueller investigation will mercifully, hopefully wrap up sometime this year, children are dying on the border, the stock market nearly collapsed over Christmas, climate change is already causing noticeable, serious, devastating effects in the US, we're dick deep in a trade war with China, and the price of everything keeps going up. All this is to say, I can hardly imagine what next month will look like, much less next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Thin Blue vote was from 2017. I mean, I just don't get why Mother Jones is digging through his voting record now and not 6 months ago.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Stonelegs posted:

I just did a quick scan of his ontheissues page and he seems pretty boilerplate Democrat to me. What's the disqualifier?

to answer in the form of a Buzzfeed headline, Should Trying To Form A Union Be Punishable By Force Of Law? This Up And Coming Democrat's Answer Will Shock You!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Thin Blue vote was from 2017. I mean, I just don't get why Mother Jones is digging through his voting record now and not 6 months ago.

we all really, really wanted to get rid of ted cruz

we were willing to overlook some failings in the name of getting rid of ted cruz, on the grounds that it was texas. in an environment where less bad options for the position exist, suddenly a lot of the poo poo that can be explained away by shrugging and saying "texas" becomes answerable with "let's not get a loving candidate from texas then"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Because for all his faults Beto is still better than Ted Cruz and they didn't want to sabotage his chances in that race.

Stonelegs
Apr 15, 2003

I'll have a coke...

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

to answer in the form of a Buzzfeed headline, Should Trying To Form A Union Be Punishable By Force Of Law? This Up And Coming Democrat's Answer Will Shock You!

So I just read this article:
https://theintercept.com/2019/01/13/beto-o-rourke-public-sector-unions/

I can see how his fight with public sector unions early on would lead to some sweet twitter callouts, but on the whole he appears to be fairly pro-labor.

I say that because of this:
https://aflcio.org/scorecard/legislators/beto-orourke

Seems like a cool dude.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
What happened to Beto is perhaps one of the best examples of the Streisand effect. When a bunch of news outlets started reporting on Beto meeting with Obama to discuss 2020, a few more lefty journalists tweeted some stuff about his voting record and his donors. Stuff that would have been forgotten after a week. But then a lot of the Clinton loyalists looking for a new host to attach themselves to decided to go overboard in their defenses of Beto. And so you ended up with people talking about the "Bernie falangists," the "forces aligned with Bernie" all unfairly targeting Beto. Which in turn led to a bunch of non-lefty journalists to examine Beto's record and conclude that, yep, he is a conservative democrat. As a result, his name was removed from a pledge he had signed regarding fossil fuels, reporters decided to ask him where he actually stood on the issues, and even Chris Cillizza called out Beto for being an empty suit.

In other words, had Beto been running as a conservative democrat all along, there wouldn't be an issue, but he tried to do the "be vague so you can be everything to everyone" strategy and that sort of became impossible when the Neera Tandens and Sady Doyles of the world went overboard in attacking anyone who looked at his record.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think that the hate on Beto has gone too far. If he's the right wing of the D party, I'm very fine with that. That doesn't mean he's going to be on my top 10 list of primary candidates.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think the hate is on just the right level: "Stay your rear end in Texas."

Stonelegs
Apr 15, 2003

I'll have a coke...

mcmagic posted:

I think that the hate on Beto has gone too far. If he's the right wing of the D party, I'm very fine with that. That doesn't mean he's going to be on my top 10 list of primary candidates.

This is a reasonable thought process and I appreciate it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Stonelegs posted:

I just did a quick scan of his ontheissues page and he seems pretty boilerplate Democrat to me. What's the disqualifier?

"boilerplate Democrat" is the disqualifier. The "middle of the road" approach is a sure loss in today's political environment.

mcmagic posted:

I think it's both necessary and good to point out and disqualify bad candidates for the bad things they say and do, this is what things like primaries are supposed to do and part of how you root out corruption

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Sanguinia posted:

I feel like unless Liz Warren succeeds in her effort to rebuild her national profile after a year of stepping on rakes (which is doubtless why she declared so early) the race is going to come down to Bernie vs whoever among the Top Three Ladies finds a way to distinguish herself and pull ahead of the pack. I honestly don't know enough about Gillibrand, Harris or Klobuchar to hazard a guess who that might be.

I don't think Booker has much of a shot, nor does Tulsi Gabbard. I don't think any othet speculative candidate can even be called a serious contender.

A lot of people have written off Tulsi Gabbard for her past, but I think she's a wildcard, and a LOT will depend on how those first few debates go. She riles up a lot of lovely people like the permanent bi-partisan neocon foreign policy establishment and hypocritical partisan hack careerists who are all trying to kill her campaign dead before it gets going. Nobody is mad or nervous about guys like Cory Booker or Julian Castro because they're non-entities, I actually expect both of them to be out of the race by Sept/Oct. I think the media and the powers that be have has settled on Beto O'Rourke and they're gonna push him really loving hard. He's gonna be their "white Obama" and its gonna be him vs. whoever the left or progressive candidate ends up being.

Gresh fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 18, 2019

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Not American so slightly less in the loop.

Has Clinton confirmed she’s done with the whole running for president thing?

I’m guessing so, since even Joseph made the poll, so she must be even less likely to win/said she’s not running (which Stalin has yet to decide)

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I don't think Beto's going anywhere. Even staunchly anti-Bernie publications and columnists like the Root, Mother Jones and Chris Cillizza are calling out his strategy of trying to be everything to everyone and being an empty suit.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I’m guessing so, since even Joseph made the poll, so she must be even less likely to win/said she’s not running (which Stalin has yet to decide)

She won't run, but she'll likely make an endorsement and give whoever that candidate is a significant bump.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pylons posted:

She won't run, but she'll likely make an endorsement and give whoever that candidate is a significant bump.

She has the stink of a loser to her.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Judakel posted:

She has the stink of a loser to her.

I think there are still a fair amount within the party that would consider her endorsement pretty heavily.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pylons posted:

I think there are still a fair amount within the party that would consider her endorsement pretty heavily.

Even more would be heavily warded off though, she's basically democratic poison after 2016

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

joepinetree posted:

I don't think Beto's going anywhere. Even staunchly anti-Bernie publications and columnists like the Root, Mother Jones and Chris Cillizza are calling out his strategy of trying to be everything to everyone and being an empty suit.

This, and he’s spent the last couple weeks doing very not ready for primetime poo poo like the dental livestream and his small press short story Medium posts. I’m increasingly not convinced he’s even going to run.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pylons posted:

You can hear the voters sigh when people trot her out.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Yinlock posted:

Even more would be heavily warded off though, she's basically democratic poison after 2016

For progressives, sure, but for one of the neoliberals looking to stand out from the rest, an endorsement from Hillary would do that.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pylons posted:

For progressives, sure, but for one of the neoliberals looking to stand out from the rest, an endorsement from Hillary would do that.

A neoliberal has a snowball's chance in hell in this environment. I wonder if the DNC even cares.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Real Cool Catfish posted:

She has, but also confirmed she wasn't running for president before the last two times she ran for president so no one can actually say for sure.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Hillary endorses Bernie, triggering the Third Impact

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pylons posted:

Progressives are who the Democrats need and are trying(poorly) to court right now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The DNC's big plan was probably Joe Kennedy. They're going to scrambling all the way up to the general.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Z. Autobahn posted:

Hillary endorses Bernie, triggering the Third Impact

that would genuinely be the most brain-destroying "what did you think you were doing" possible option, and as such i wholly endorse it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stonelegs posted:

It's more that there's a disconnect between how he was portrayed/perceived (as a "more progressive than your average Democrat" candidate) and the reality (that he's actually a bit more conservative than the median Democrat). Until a lot of his history came to light, there were debates in this thread's predecessor about whether Beto was actually progressive.

mcmagic posted:

I don't think there's anything inconsistent or wrong with someone saying "I think more center/conservative-leaning Democrats are flat-out bad" and applying that to Beto. Where's the harm in it? Obviously if someone agrees with the center/center-left in terms of ideology/policy, they're going to disagree with that (for example, it makes sense for Stonelegs above to feel that way, since he explicitly identifies as center-left/neoliberal), but I don't see why someone who considers their views to be radically left-wing would have a problem with it. The guy isn't even running for anything right now, so it's not like there's a "he's still better than the Republican" counter-argument. It makes sense to dissuade him from running in a primary where better candidates exist.

Z. Autobahn posted:

This, and he’s spent the last couple weeks doing very not ready for primetime poo poo like the dental livestream and his small press short story Medium posts. I’m increasingly not convinced he’s even going to run.

I'm honestly kind of confused seeing his post-election behavior and trying to figure out how he managed to be so popular during his Senate election.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I'm honestly kind of confused seeing his post-election behavior and trying to figure out how he managed to be so popular during his Senate election.

some people really loving like Baba O'Riley

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Anybody looks good next to Ted Cruz. Plus he could imitate Obama's cadence and raised a shitload of money and that gets the liberal pundit class hot and bothered.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

can someone confirm whether or not it is bannable or probatable to spam this thread with bernie posts thanks in advance

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly I never got the Beto hype. Even if you're more moderate there are other choices who have done stuff on the national stage. Being that close in Texas is impressive, but not really much of a resume for the presidency.

quote:

A lot of people have written off Tulsi Gabbard for her past, but I think she's a wildcard, and a LOT will depend on how those first few debates go. She riles up a lot of lovely people like the permanent bi-partisan neocon foreign policy establishment and hypocritical partisan hack careerists who are all trying to kill her campaign dead before it gets going. Nobody is mad or nervous about guys like Cory Booker or Julian Castro because they're non-entities, I actually expect both of them to be out of the race by Sept/Oct. I think the media and the powers that be have has settled on Beto O'Rourke and they're gonna push him really loving hard. He's gonna be their "white Obama" and its gonna be him vs. whoever the left or progressive candidate ends up being.

Tulsi is pretty poo poo by almost any means. A conservative voting record, a really spotty record when it comes to gay marriage even compared to most of the establishment. She's 'conflicted' on torture. She called for Obama to drone more people in the Middle East and has ties to the Hindu nationalist BJP. Her anti-interventionist stance also seems quite odd when she does poo poo like celebrate Sisi's coming to power even though he couped a democratic government.

The only good points she has are 'Endorsed Bernie.' and maybe being somewhat less interventionist but honestly between her support for people like the BJP and Sisi that seems somewhat suspect to me.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 18, 2019

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

reignonyourparade posted:

She has, but also confirmed she wasn't running for president before the last two times she ran for president so no one can actually say for sure.

My The West Wing binging past self longs for the time when Sherman denials were a thing.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gresh posted:

A lot of people have written off Tulsi Gabbard for her past, but I think she's a wildcard, and a LOT will depend on how those first few debates go. She riles up a lot of lovely people like the permanent bi-partisan neocon foreign policy establishment and hypocritical partisan hack careerists who are all trying to kill her campaign dead before it gets going.

the big problem with this is that she's merely a different kind of lovely interventionist hawk. she's been agitating against pakistan for years for example.

https://twitter.com/tulsigabbard/status/935609290311852032?s=21

you can make some sort of triangulation-based argument that president gabbard and the foreign policy establishment would reach some sort of stalemate but that's not super appealing to me.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
gabbard is also another democrat who was against gay marriage and abortion until she coincidentally started having national political aspirations. there's a bunch of easily quotable stuff (admittedly from from 20ish years ago) about her railing against homosexual activists shoving their agenda down children's throats. that plus being the token democrat to buy into the obama won't say radical islam nonsense makes it hard for me to be too enthusiastic about her

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Stonelegs posted:

So I just read this article:
https://theintercept.com/2019/01/13/beto-o-rourke-public-sector-unions/

I can see how his fight with public sector unions early on would lead to some sweet twitter callouts, but on the whole he appears to be fairly pro-labor.

I say that because of this:
https://aflcio.org/scorecard/legislators/beto-orourke

Seems like a cool dude.

No billionaire is a cool dude, he’s human scum

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

why do people keep pretending sherrod brown is progressive?

Because:
a) he likes to talk about unions, and his policy positions seem pretty left if you boil them all down to just headlines with no detail. plus he has a pretty low profile with little real media interest so it's hard to just stumble across more details without looking for them
b) conservative nevertrump pundits have been trying real hard to sell him as the new progressive hope for the Democratic Party, so the only media coverage he's getting is unabashed puff pieces from ex-Republicans like Jennifer Rubin and Max Boot

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i forgot to add any actual support for gabbard and the obama won't say radical islam thing, so enjoy i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC67E_3KOJQ

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So which candidate has the best chance of running and winning against President Pence?

I had this bizarre scenario flit through my head earlier today where Trump is impeached, Pence becomes VP, appoints, say, Romney as his own VP, then Pence resigns in advance of impeachment, then all the Democrats are suddently running against President Romney instead of against Trump

I mean we live in Calvinball times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I had this bizarre scenario flit through my head earlier today where Trump is impeached,

yeah that does sound pretty bizarre