Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mochi has the same issues that plague east asian deserts, it has rice and or beans in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Mochi has the same issues that plague east asian deserts, it has rice and or beans in it.

surprise kinako mochi has both

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Western deserts all have wheat in them. They even turn wheat into a beverage! Weird

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I named my cat Mochi and I bet that’s the equivalent of a Japanese person making their cat Biscuit. Which is not a bad cat name

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I agree, drinking wheat is hosed up and putting it in a dessert is sick Im glad we agree.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Mochi is fine (not great, but fine) but red bean paste is disgusting and ruins anything it's put in.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

Mochi is fine (not great, but fine) but red bean paste is disgusting and ruins anything it's put in.

Red bean paste is like spitting in gods face, it doesnt just taste bad its the worst use for the material possible. You have red beans and you have rice, if you just cooked them together youd have the greatest food ever made.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Gologle posted:

I don't know if you guys have ever had mochi, but it's really not that good.

I will loving murder you.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

kirbysuperstar posted:

To be be fair it's mostly a texture thing for me.

I feel you on that, it's why I can't eat anything with sprinkles on it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finished Final Fantasy Tactics last night and loved it. This was my first time ever playing the game and was the original PSX version with the bad translation that results in some pretty unintentionally funny moments.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mode 7 posted:

you take that back i can eat a brick of yokan in one sitting if i'm high enough

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

I finished Final Fantasy Tactics last night and loved it. This was my first time ever playing the game and was the original PSX version with the bad translation that results in some pretty unintentionally funny moments.

l
i
t
t
l
e

m
o
n
e
y

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Literally everything Daravon says in the menu.

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

I said come in! posted:

The bad translation is the best translation. Now I really want to dust off the PSX and give it another play.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

FlyTB20C posted:

The bad translation is the best translation. Now I really want to dust off the PSX and give it another play.

They basically ruined the game by taking Delita's line after the Orbonne intro out of the game.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

S.J. posted:

They basically ruined the game by taking Delita's line after the Orbonne intro out of the game.

I mean, it's not gone, it's just different. I do agree that "blame yourself, or God" is better than "it is your faith or birth that wrong you" though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

CeallaSo posted:

I mean, it's not gone, it's just different. I do agree that "blame yourself, or God" is better than "it is your faith or birth that wrong you" though.

it is GONE and i am UPSET

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I'll accept it as a tradeoff for the back half of the game making a LOT more sense in War of the Lions.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
what isn't there to get? the church is trying to gather the zodiac stones while guiding the factions of royals into a war of attrition so the peasantry's opinion of the current rulers crumbles, and then they can swoop in saying "hey we have the zodiac stones just like the legendary heroes!" to legitimize themselves in the eyes of the people and seize the right to rule both by default and by popular opinion. the conspirators are using their positions to manipulate the templars under them to do the heavy lifting that couldn't be accomplished by the brute force of five or six powerful demons, and to fight ramza while keeping the truth of the lucavi a secret.

they also want to revive their leader, altima, who was once born as ajora, but they never really explain why this is important short of that he's their grand poobah.

that much is very clear even in the original translation.

meanwhile delita is trying to become a king to... uh...

but you know what the wotl translation doesn't explain that either.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
animals have no god

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Listen man, if purist weebs want to froth at the mouth about excellent retranslations then they totally can. I grew up playing badly translated games and so I loved the hell out of WotL.

Don’t get me wrong, I love “I had a good feeling” and poo poo as much as the next guy but I also like being able to follow a story without having to parse through Engrish too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The White Dragon posted:

what isn't there to get? the church is trying to gather the zodiac stones while guiding the factions of royals into a war of attrition so the peasantry's opinion of the current rulers crumbles, and then they can swoop in saying "hey we have the zodiac stones just like the legendary heroes!" to legitimize themselves in the eyes of the people and seize the right to rule both by default and by popular opinion. the conspirators are using their positions to manipulate the templars under them to do the heavy lifting that couldn't be accomplished by the brute force of five or six powerful demons, and to fight ramza while keeping the truth of the lucavi a secret.

they also want to revive their leader, altima, who was once born as ajora, but they never really explain why this is important short of that he's their grand poobah.

that much is very clear even in the original translation.

meanwhile delita is trying to become a king to... uh...

but you know what the wotl translation doesn't explain that either.

I thought Delita's entire schtick (ed: motivation) was blind enraged vengeance against any and all nobility, with gaining a crown just kind of topping the sundae, and with his actions ultimately unrelated to the church or rulership otherwise

It's kind of the only way the ending (or what I remember of it) makes any goddamn sense in my head

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 18, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

I thought Delita's entire schtick (ed: motivation) was blind enraged vengeance against any and all nobility, with gaining a crown just kind of topping the sundae, and with his actions ultimately unrelated to the church or rulership otherwise

It's kind of the only way the ending (or what I remember of it) makes any goddamn sense in my head

This is correct.

The tragedy is that in the process he becomes the thing he hates most.

DUN DUN DUNNNN

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It's not so much "revenge against any and all nobles"- he wanted to put himself in a position where he was the one calling the shots. Him and his sister started off as poor trash, and the nobles spared absolutely no regard for them and killed his sister just to get a clear shot at a rebel, even though they were besties with the son of a powerful noble family. So he's like "I can use and walk over people better than anyone, just watch me!" and proceeded to backstab his way to the top, swearing that he'd be looking out for the commoners who got used and mistreated. But then in the end he ends up stabbing the woman he loved(?) because he'd become such an amoral monster that she couldn't trust him, showing that, yes, he had become what he hated.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I don't think Delita loved Ovelia. She was always just a tool for him to use to get what he wanted.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

But then in the end he ends up stabbing the woman he loved(?) because he'd become such an amoral monster that she couldn't trust him, showing that, yes, he had become what he hated.

wasn't that dramatic tragedy though, like he didn't go there expecting to kill her but she shanks him because he's become a crazy rear end in a top hat, and then he pulls it out of his side and stabs her with that same knife

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
In the end, the only one who truly won was Marche. Makes you think.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Delita's entire thing is he's the man who got everything, and even got considered a Hero-King. But the only thing he actually wanted, was the only thing Ramza had left, his Sister.

All Delita wanted was Teta back, he didn't need anything else in his life. It was the one thing he could never get back. Ramza, is considered a heretic, probably died fighting Ultima, and will never be remembered by history, he lost everything... but in the end he had Alma at his side.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Nah Ramza lived.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Nah he knew he couldn't get Tietra back. He wanted to punish and ruin the aristocracy both out of revenge and to prevent future abuse and oppression from the rich and powerful.

Whoops!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nah he knew he couldn't get Tietra back. He wanted to punish and ruin the aristocracy both out of revenge and to prevent future abuse and oppression from the rich and powerful.

Whoops!

He knew he couldn't get her back, but that's the only thing he wanted.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Gologle posted:

Nah Ramza lived.
For those of you not playing 14, here's the alternate take on that: (Spoilers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KGQpOlZBIU&t=102s

A bit modified to fit the context of 14, but it was penned by Yasumi Matsuno himself, and was intended as a piece of closure to the Tactics storyline.

Varance fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 18, 2019

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Varance posted:

For those of you not playing 14, here's the alternate take on that: (Spoilers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KGQpOlZBIU&t=102s

A bit modified to fit the context of 14, but it was penned by Yasumi Matsuno himself, and was intended as a piece of closure to the Tactics storyline.

Yeah, it made me smile :unsmith:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I don't get why people would think Ramza's dead, the ending literally shows him and Alma running off.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Varance posted:

Delita's first instinct is to immediately ride to Ramza's aid. Man gently caress all of you, Delita was a true hero, and a real human being in the end. His wife was the real bitch.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Varance posted:

i didn't like it. just changes everything so it can fit into the ff14 lore.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Ramza may have the Undead status that some random monsters and NPCs had. Hell, he might be a generic skeleton now.

But then everyone who dies becomes a crystal or treasure chest, so I don't know what to believe.

The story hosed up by not turning every person who dies into a crystal or treasure chest. I need to learn to hack the game so I can fix this loving travesty.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I remember getting recommended to try FFVI Brave New World however many months ago now and I liked it a lot. I also just found this several months old announcement about a BNW 2.0
http://ngplus.net/index.php?/forums/topic/772-coming-soon-brave-new-world-20/

i thought about copy/pasting it all but holy poo poo there are going to be a ton of changes and it's just too much to copy over here.

I'd certainly give it a shot, though. The hack finally got me to beat FFVI and it was awesome.

And thanks Mega64 for suggesting it because I'm pretty sure it was you.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I was gonna make a post when BNW 2.0 comes out (which I believe is soon) to talk about the changes they've made. there's a whole group that's been working on this release for more than a year that have hacked in a lot of QoL stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

But then everyone who dies becomes a crystal or treasure chest, so I don't know what to believe.

no undeads have a 50(?)% chance to revive when their death counter reaches 0