Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kheldarn posted:

:wrong: Beer is disgusting.

I loved the deadpan humor of my college house social team, who would publish announcements like “the health center will be closed next Monday, so plan your illnesses accordingly”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The MSJ posted:

Unfortunately, carrying around anything with Bitch Lasagna nowadays will only make people think you're a 9-Year Old, and by that I mean a PewDiePie fan.

I imagine most people are either unaware of PewDiePie or only vaugly aware of his existence.

Personally, I only know of him through memes, and people on SA bitching,

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER

Slippery posted:

The gently caress you mean, 'was' :)

Right? Was. I've gone hard at this apathy thing for going on 5 decades now.

Was. The nerve.

I DON'T QUIT ON QUITTING!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Pastry of the Year posted:

Yo, get me outta dis wack rear end cardboard prison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH3M8p3Jr-M

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Some say he's still in the box to this day.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Turtlicious posted:

Gen X was a generation of Apathy

Millenials are what happens when that apathy has children, which creates nihilism.

The humor of the future is going to be lit.

Except millennials are children of boomers, boomers being literally and unironically the cancer of this earth.

Gen Z are the children of Gen X. Which is why Gen Z is so loving disconnected.

:corsair:

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I’ve never actually thought about this before. Is there a leapfrog thing happening? Which generation is responsible for Gen X if not the boomers?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
well its nothing so clear cut, obviously. People dont have kids at prescribed times and cycles. For instance, my parents are right on the cusp of boomer and x (early 60s) while me and my siblings are millennials, with the possible exception of my youngest brother (96)

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Roughly calling baby boomers as born 1945 to 1965 and most kids being born to women 18-35, boomers kids could be born anywhere from 1963 to 2000. Easily covering both x and millienials.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Alright, my sense of what I thought I knew (roughly?) has been restored.

Kashclarke
Feb 13, 2015
So did generation y die? I don't understand anything, isn't it the crystal pepsi years y?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Kashclarke posted:

So did generation y die? I don't understand anything, isn't it the crystal pepsi years y?

I remember being called that when I was going through school, and now I'm a millennial, or gen X depending who you ask (1981). I've even seen 1978-1983 being branded our own special sub generation by Miggs-Breyers obsessed people.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kashclarke posted:

Generation Y didnt really take off and became millenials. Gen Z is a stubborn attempt to stick to the standard and will likely be called something else as they hit their mid 20s.

Kashclarke
Feb 13, 2015

Picnic Princess posted:

I remember being called that when I was going through school, and now I'm a millennial, or gen X depending who you ask (1981). I've even seen 1978-1983 being branded our own special sub generation by Miggs-Breyers obsessed people.

Ah, well that explains it, I'll go back to lurking now, don't need to derail on Miggs-Breyers

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

Generation Y didnt really take off and became millenials. Gen Z is a stubborn attempt to stick to the standard and will likely be called something else as they hit their mid 20s.

Back in the late 90's early 00's a newspaper here did a front page on the scares of ecstasy and called all the clubbers / ravers Generation E. This should have become a thing.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Johnny Aztec posted:

I imagine most people are either unaware of PewDiePie or only vaugly aware of his existence.

Personally, I only know of him through memes, and people on SA bitching,

bitch lasagna is a pretty obscure meme by itself, maybe the shrieking youtuber helped popularize it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cohorts are made up and dont exist as an idea outside of america hth

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

cohorts are made up and dont exist as an idea outside of america hth

well yeah, world war 1 kind of made sure of that in europe

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

You know what's funny? Pictures of people having a bad time at amusement parks.

Also goats wearing sunglasses.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

im confused as gently caress because i got an extension that just changes that one word to snake people and i dont know what serpent society is or if the browser extension is more meta than i realize

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

im pooping! posted:

im confused as gently caress because i got an extension that just changes that one word to snake people and i dont know what serpent society is or if the browser extension is more meta than i realize

serpent society is what the extension changes "g e n e r a t i o n x" to

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm '82 and I consider myself gen Y. I don't watch pewd but yeah I watch youtube, I'm not a gamer but I do play games, and I've never dabbed.

Also I have no clue what my Meyers-Briggs is.

I guess it comes from technically being in the same generation as people 10 years younger than me but sharing nothing musically in common.

DiggityDoink has a new favorite as of 08:43 on Jan 18, 2019

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/AlexJayBrady/status/1085980821465505793/photo/1

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

DiggityDoink posted:

I'm '82 and I consider myself gen Y. I don't watch pewd but yeah I watch youtube, I'm not a gamer but I do play games, and I've never dabbed.

Also I have no clue what my Meyers-Briggs is.

I guess it comes from technically being in the same generation as people 10 years younger than me but sharing nothing musically in common.

If pewd is pewdie pie thats not a millennial thing

burial
Sep 13, 2002

I feel like location should factor in. Culturally, the rural-rear end nothingscape where I grew up was always about 5-7 years behind. Still plenty of places you can’t get cable yet. Ha. Haha. (“Give us $100k and we will happily run the coax.”)

That said, I was born in ‘84. I think that makes me a millennial? I don’t know.

The rapid technological development - internet > chat rooms > social media > blah blah blah - maybe segmented formative experiences into tinier chunks than usual.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
who cares

y'all remember that mushroom book that was being passed around?

No one mentioned that the inside is just as much of a treasure

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ante posted:

who cares

y'all remember that mushroom book that was being passed around?

No one mentioned that the inside is just as much of a treasure

Isn't the fly amanita deadly as hell? :ohdear:

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is. Also hallucinogenic in small doses.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you prepare it right its fine actually.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A friend who knows his mushrooms says just how deadly it is and how difficult it is to prepare in a non-deadly way is grossly exaggerated by, he claims, the government because they don't want people to have a super easy, super cheap method of getting hosed up.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Well it took a couple of days but it finally arrived:

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Sanford posted:

A friend who knows his mushrooms says just how deadly it is and how difficult it is to prepare in a non-deadly way is grossly exaggerated by, he claims, the government because they don't want people to have a super easy, super cheap method of getting hosed up.

Yeah it's this. It's not a tasty mushroom, but it's not especially poisonous either - you'd have to eat a significant amount to be in any serious danger. There's an interesting documentary on youtube where a few dudes get high on the mushroom and describe how they feel over a period of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq3S6Ktj1Nk

E: to clarify, I don't believe there's any gubbimint conspiracy involved, but rather that it's toxicity is greatly exaggerated.

Catpain Slack has a new favorite as of 11:55 on Jan 18, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Shai-Hulud posted:

I'm glad I could curse your life in such a way,

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Shai-Hulud posted:

You absolute madman!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Thanks to this conversation I have decided to update my word filter so that not only does it replace "millennial(s)" with "snake person/people", it now replaces "millenial(s)" with "snek person/people." Long story short y'all need to learn to spell.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
In 10 years when the Euro and the Dollar have collapsed and we are all using the Currwurst standard you'll think of me!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
And here I was thinking Bitcoin was the wurst currency.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Millennials is a better fit for Gen Z anyway as they were the ones born closest to the millennium.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When it comes to fly mushrooms, red with white spots is bad but all white is certain miserable death. (Which is a shame because a lot of non-deadly mushrooms that are delicious are also all white.)

We literally call it sneaky mushroom.

e: Apparently anglophones call it death cap which isn't as cool IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

People under 40: mostly okay
People over 40: mostly trash
Teenagers are irrelevant and people over 60 shouldn't be listened to.

Hth (you shut up about "generations")