Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SimonCat posted:

A very odd coincidence then.

BTW, does anyone have a link to the freeze frame Alien epilogue set to "Sweet Home Alabama?"
https://youtu.be/20wsNqmTPxI

Made by our very own Xenomrph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Thanks!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I rewatched Total Recall because it owns, but I have a question Xenomrph could probably answer, when Quaid's in the chair about to get the memories and they show him the "aliens" isn't some of the art they show him concept art from Alien? I swear the last one is when they used to have the pyramid concept for that film.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

s.i.r.e. posted:

So I rewatched Total Recall because it owns, but I have a question Xenomrph could probably answer, when Quaid's in the chair about to get the memories and they show him the "aliens" isn't some of the art they show him concept art from Alien? I swear the last one is when they used to have the pyramid concept for that film.
It’s been a while since I saw Total Recall but I kind of doubt it. There wasn’t a whole lot of art created for the pyramid. You can see most (all?) of the paintings/drawings here: http://alienexplorations.blogspot.com/2009/06/c-pyramid.html

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I was thinking it was my brain merging Chris Foss' art, the black and white one, with the oranges of his colored pieces. Since the reactor in Total Recall basically looks like the black and white just with multiple square tubes coming from the ceiling.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
A weird parallel I noticed between Alien and Predator. The deaths of Blaine and Brett mirror each other. The alien in each movie has already killed one of the core group and the rest of the group is now looking for the alien. Blaine and Brett are on their own when they are distracted by a small furry animal prior to being killed by the alien in each movie. They each get a preliminary scare prior to actually being killed. Just after being killed their best friend, a strong black character, runs in and sees the alien just prior to it running off and disappearing. The black friend then vows revenge and is the strongest proponent of killing the alien from then on and both are killed while confronting their respective aliens.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I never thought of it like that but it's an interesting parallel, because on the one hand it's just slasher/monster movie plotting 101. But on the other hand it solidifies most creatures as things you absolutely 100% DO NOT want to gently caress with. And I like how in both original movies the monster is never really weakened and has to be outsmarted. Both movie's balance that razor's edge where they show clearly that the monster is defeatable, but still in such a way where you would never even remotely ever want to be anywhere near one (even down to the Predator's self destruct and the Alien's acidic blood - even if you COULD brute force beat one up you're potentially screwed anyway). Like they're familiar enough that you know what they look like and vaguely how they work but there's never a point in the originals where you're like "Feh, I could take'em." Both movies also feature a part where the cast makes a relatively good plan to deal with the creature based on what they know but then most of them get owned anyway which adds to it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 15, 2019

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Maybe just don't play the mobile game. I don't play any and its very easy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

There's no aliens in it, just a movie about convicts being trained to protect mining moons in space from pirates, but it's worth mentioning that the 1990 Roland Emmerich movie Moon 44 is streaming on Prime right now. There's a lot of folks in the thread who like "lived in" stuff like Alien, Outland, etc. and you'd all probably dig it since it has some cool miniatures. It's look is pretty cool since they were clearly very inspired by Alien and Blade Runner and Aliens, and it's nice to see an Aliens-ish setting regarding corporate domination in space/etc. that also has a few cityscapes and residential/business/prison spaces (and yes before you ask it's a mid budget sci-fi flick from the 80s/early 90s so Ennis House tiles ahoy). Also Michael Paré and Malcom McDowell are in it. :3:

The movie is aggressively average but it held my attention because it looks great so give it a chance since it's basically like if an Aliens movie was made that didn't involve aliens.

Also notable observation that reminded me of a lot of our Alien and Prometheus discussion. In this movie they have spaceships/etc. but when travelling from point to point on the moon itself futuristic helicopters are used. :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve started playing Alien: Isolation again. Jeez, even playing with someone else in the room, it’s still incredibly tense.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Maybe just don't play the mobile game. I don't play any and its very easy.

I don't intend to and you're right but it just sucks that it'd be cool to have an Isolation sequel or even a shoot em up and we're not getting that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve started playing Alien: Isolation again. Jeez, even playing with someone else in the room, it’s still incredibly tense.

No matter how many times I play through the game my palms always sweat. I've done 6~ playthroughs and no other game horror title I've played even does that on a second playthrough. It's literal perfection, well, except for the ending the drags.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just hit Medical, and I’m calling it a night. :ohdear:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I've never beaten Alien: Isolation because it stresses me out too much. And like, I've beaten the first two Dead Space games using just the plasma cutter. Something about A:I's mechanics and atmosphere is just so freakin' oppressive (which is obviously the point, and a testament to the work put in by the dev team).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The way they committed to the gear you get is a huge help with that. Like in Dead Space you can still freeze enemies in place and stuff like that and it's all very slickly executed. But in Isolation all your equipment is noisy and lovely and it still works but the game really is lightning in a bottle with how it makes EVERY little motion you do in it feel like a huge risk.

Man the DLC on the Nostromo is like ultimate nerdout accurate too, I fuckin' love that game.

I've seen there's mods that let one play it with a VR helmet and I genuinely don't understand how anyone has been able to do that and not experience a fatal heart attack.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I never beat Isolation because the game didn’t end when it should and just kept going. I got stuck and watched the rest on YouTube. It’s a great game but just way too long.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Fart City posted:

I've never beaten Alien: Isolation because it stresses me out too much. And like, I've beaten the first two Dead Space games using just the plasma cutter. Something about A:I's mechanics and atmosphere is just so freakin' oppressive (which is obviously the point, and a testament to the work put in by the dev team).

Use a trainer to make yourself invisible to the alien. When I did it, it didn't stop you from dying from insta kills like standing below vents.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fart City posted:

Also a lot has to do with how convincing the Alien is, because gently caress me if it doesn't feel like that god drat thing is alive and believably searching for prey every time it comes around. It doesn't just feel like a model with some AI on it going through animations, it feels like a person is playing that roll and specifically trying to get your rear end sweaty by patrolling around you and keeping you on your feet.

It's also the reason why the game falls apart in the harder modes because the Alien is always in your rear end and it feels more like a game and the tension goes out the window.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Also a lot has to do with how convincing the Alien is, because gently caress me if it doesn't feel like that god drat thing is alive and believably searching for prey every time it comes around. It doesn't just feel like a model with some AI on it going through animations, it feels like a person is playing that roll and specifically trying to get your rear end sweaty by patrolling around you and keeping you on your feet.

One of the best things about it IIRC is that if you're taking cover near where other people whom you duped into getting the attention of the alien or otherwise drew them to it or vice versa, if you hide near by instead of leaving while it wrecks everyone it has a tendency to "coincidentally" knock down or toss someone or whatever so that it slams down like right by where you're hiding so you're thinking it's time to go and a corpse hits the deck right where you're peaking your head out. :3:

I know it's not perfect and people harp on the little ways it can mess up but I really do love how they got the Alien to behave so much in this game. Like you say it really does feel less like a computer controlled thing and more like an intelligence that's trying to sniff you out with its own perception. I like that the game encourages not staying in a hiding spot forever and how you have to keep moving.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The game was loving terrifying and I was invisible to every enemy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Makes sense, the Alien doesn't have eyes after all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It has crocodile brain. Like lion brain.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Neo Rasa posted:

Man the DLC on the Nostromo is like ultimate nerdout accurate too, I fuckin' love that game.
First time I played it I went straight to the Nostromo, and was geeking out over the details and enthusing to my wife about how movie-accurate everything was when the loving alien came through a doorway and killed me. I practically went over the back of the sofa in surprise and she couldn't stop laughing.

A few nights later I jumped awake from a nightmare about being chased by the xeno, so the game was waaaaay too effective at creating a mood.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm a little bit past the medical center part and (not unpleasantly) surprised to learn I am only about halfway thru the game. Hopefully the atmosphere can be maintained and it doesn't get too repetitive.

A trio of aggro survivors were in my way so I threw a flashbang to get the alien's attention and hid to watch it kill them. Very normal, moral strategy IMO.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Speaking of strategy in that game I love how the flame thrower works so much. When you first use it freaks the alien out, and you don't have to be particularly aggressive or accurate with it, IIRC very early on you can even just walk up to it with it ignited and it will be shaken. But as the game goes on it realizes how resilient it is and it takes more and more flame throwering at it to make it run off until it gets to the point where you have to blow an entire tank of fuel to do it so use it sparingly. :3: I also like how the crafting works in it because crafting in games is some tacked on bullshit like 99% of the time but they made it work for the character and setting really well.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

They do a really good job riffing on the themes of the films while making it just distinct enough that you don't feel like it's a total theme park. The tech all perfectly fits the retrofuture that the old films ended up representing, Steegson is totally believable as a thrift-brand would-be upstart WY with it's own feel. The little posters are great. The Working Joes are inspired, unsettling with their glowing eyes, voice barks, and the way the plastic skin bunches up at the necks. The stark vista every time the game reminds you of your uhh isolation by showing you the gas giant and starfield. And everything bein' said about how believable they made the alien.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I noticed last night how good the sound design is in the game. All solid sounding ‘tschunk’s and appropriate retro beeps and boops. The echoing sounds of the Alien moving around you in the vents, even the little waterphone music cues to let you know something is up.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Owlbear Camus posted:

A trio of aggro survivors were in my way so I threw a flashbang to get the alien's attention and hid to watch it kill them. Very normal, moral strategy IMO.

The guy at the start of the tells you what it is, "This is about survival".

Or if you want a joke, Alien isolation shows you what can go wrong when feminism is unchecked. Please note that this is just a joke

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Speaking of Alien video games if folks haven't seen it yet, I still can't believe Sega shitcanned an Obsidian Aliens action RPG to publish Colonial Marines instead. That Obsidian game was going to have it so there was no way to remove an egg from someone who was facehugged so they would inevitably die after a certain amount of time. You could put that character in a cryotube to keep them from dying and only go back and get them out if their particular skillset was needed. A big part of the game was to be about weighing which characters you wanted to bring where and for what and stuff against how risky it was that hey might get impregnated or how much time they had left.

The existing footage is mostly Mass Effect-ish running around kind of stuff but dang what could have been:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFweTxF1IWw

The worst thing about that was the earlier press about Isolation made it sound hacky and limp and between that and it being the follow up to Colonial Marines I think that really hurt the game's sales.

The_Doctor posted:

I noticed last night how good the sound design is in the game. All solid sounding ‘tschunk’s and appropriate retro beeps and boops. The echoing sounds of the Alien moving around you in the vents, even the little waterphone music cues to let you know something is up.

IIRC they even went so far as to record some VHS static on a blank screen to use as an overlay on several of the game's video clips and parts of the interface, so what you're seeing isn't an effect but the actual real deal.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 18, 2019

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of Alien video games if folks haven't seen it yet, I still can't believe Sega shitcanned an Obsidian Aliens action RPG to publish Colonial Marines instead. That Obsidian game was going to have it so there was no way to remove an egg from someone who was facehugged so they would inevitably die after a certain amount of time. You could put that character in a cryotube to keep them from dying and only go back and get them out if their particular skillset was needed. A big part of the game was to be about weighing which characters you wanted to bring where and for what and stuff against how risky it was that hey might get impregnated or how much time they had left.

The existing footage is mostly Mass Effect-ish running around kind of stuff but dang what could have been:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFweTxF1IWw

The combat system or whatever these games use really doesnt work for an Aliens game at all. Esp the part at like 9:30 where five aliens are just punching a group of people 2 feet away. Theres nothing scary about [shoot] - [pause combat, switch to shotgun] --[shoot] - [pause, eat chicken wing, regain 20 health] [resume combat] and the idea of swapping people in and out of cryo because you need them to open a door or whatever just sounds dumb as hell. Like im sure some people would have dug it but it just seems like it would lack anything that makes Alien games scary or thematic.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 18, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

The combat system or whatever these games use really doesnt work for an Aliens game at all. Esp the part at like 9:30 where five aliens and just punching a group of people 2 feet away. Theres nothing scary about [shoot] - [pause combat, switch to shotgun] --[shoot] - [pause, eat chicken wing, regain 20 health] [resume combat] and the idea of swapping people in and out of cryo because you need them to open a door or whatever just sounds dumb as hell. Like im sure some people would have dug it be it just seems like it would lack anything that makes Alien games scary or thematic.

I want to agree with this but as far as games based on Aliens itself goes one of my favorites is the Konami arcade game. :D

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

I want to agree with this but as far as games based on Aliens itself goes one of my favorites is the Konami arcade game. :D

I was so glad when MAME became a thing so I could credit feed that to the elusive ending my roll of quarters never got me as a kid.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Eh Beat em Up games get a pass no matter the IP

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Eh Beat em Up games get a pass no matter the IP

:hellyeah:

The Konami shooter was interesting too for having a lot of not in the movie things that were kinda sorta used in the franchise later anyway.

Alien 3: The Gun is the best though, great rail shooter with cool visuals, the guns are 1:1 pulse rifles that make you feel insanely powerful because they made them heavy with like earthquake-caliber vibration, and most importantly, the developers had access to the film's work print and earlier scripts even way back then because it has the ox bursters and human bishop and it's about marines sent to follow up on the Sulaco and finding the place already infested and stuff. Also like Isolation, they made a lot of effort to make the HUD look like lovely VHS/"futuristic" stuff which was really cool for the time with just some simple flickering and dithering tricks.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The combat system or whatever these games use really doesnt work for an Aliens game at all. Esp the part at like 9:30 where five aliens are just punching a group of people 2 feet away. Theres nothing scary about [shoot] - [pause combat, switch to shotgun] --[shoot] - [pause, eat chicken wing, regain 20 health] [resume combat] and the idea of swapping people in and out of cryo because you need them to open a door or whatever just sounds dumb as hell. Like im sure some people would have dug it but it just seems like it would lack anything that makes Alien games scary or thematic.

That's a fair general criticism but the game was only partway through development when it was canned, so there's really no telling how tepid or intense the pace of combat would ultimately have been.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Watched an all cutscenes alien isolation video and yep still scary. Make this into a movie, alien property holders.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Given the Obsidian track record it was probably going to have hilariously buggy dogshit combat but somehow the best writing the alien franchise had seen in years

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Owlbear Camus posted:

I was so glad when MAME became a thing so I could credit feed that to the elusive ending my roll of quarters never got me as a kid.

Me, two friends, and like five bucks in quarters got us through. My favorite arcade memory besides beating X-Men.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What are some hot tips for Alien Isolation if I've never played it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hide.