Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Joey Freshwater posted:

What’s wrong with TNBC? Is it the Hot topic connection?
I dunno. Rejected by goth chicks, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Ghostbusters is great but Venkman's "lovable stalker" shtick hasn't aged well. And "stalker" is the charitable assessment of that character where you don't ask why he brought thorazine to his date with Dana.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Joey Freshwater posted:

What’s wrong with TNBC? Is it the Hot topic connection?

There's a line in a TISM song "You're only as good as your fans." And The Nightmare Before Christmas is a great example of this. As are some of the other films mentioned.

It is a fine film, filled with Tim Burton gothy-weirdo-pretentious-pseudo-whimsy, it has a couple of nice songs, and is a fine and dandy Christmas/Halloween movie. Also some of the puppets are cute and/or cool. Few people would dispute any of that.

But the kind of person who picks it as THE favourite, is the kind of person to obsess over it and every detail. So what was silly fun Chrismassy stop motion whimsy becomes the be all and end all of life and the lens through which all must be seen through. And then, as has been said, it is best to run away and not look back.

Edit: My favourite movie of all time is Weekend at Bernies II. Fight me motherfuckers!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I don’t know, the only people Ive ever known that really love The Nightmare Before Christmas that much were Hot Topic brand trailer park nerds with a love for ~quirky~ dark movies instead of an actual personality of any kind. I work with one now, though she also defines herself by her love of Harry Potter and her tattoos of both franchises. She’s married to an also trashy dude that doesn’t bathe regularly unless she makes him and is forcing them to move to a bigger place before they have children because he won’t give up his gaming room (the second bedroom of their apartment) for the baby to have it.

This experience is close to what I’ve seen from every other TNBC fanatic.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

citybeatnik posted:

That said i did finally watch emmet otters jug band christmas at the same time and that movie was awesome so it kinda made up for it.
Here's a belated Christmas gift:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqWJD1ov6oY
(there's at least one more)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This is probably the point, but I just noticed after watching the Silence of the Lambs for a millionth time that in the ambulance scene they report his pulse as 84. During the first meeting with Hannibal they say his pulse didn't go above 85 on his previous rampage.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
Judging something by the most extreme and terrible examples of it's fanbase is pretty dumb. Every single piece of media that has existed or will exist has obsessive, awful fans who make it the centre of their life. The problem is the obsessed weirdo, not whatever they've arbitrarily latched onto.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

ubachung posted:

Judging something by the most extreme and terrible examples of it's fanbase is pretty dumb. Every single piece of media that has existed or will exist has obsessive, awful fans who make it the centre of their life. The problem is the obsessed weirdo, not whatever they've arbitrarily latched onto.

Honestly nothing is worse than experiencing something and loving it, and finding out the lowest common denominators of the internet have made a weird subculture lifestyle out of it and you look silly by association.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Olaf The Stout posted:

Honestly nothing is worse than experiencing something and loving it, and finding out the lowest common denominators of the internet have made a weird subculture lifestyle out of it and you look silly by association.

Yes, Rick and Morty syndrome.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

xtal posted:

This is probably the point, but I just noticed after watching the Silence of the Lambs for a millionth time that in the ambulance scene they report his pulse as 84. During the first meeting with Hannibal they say his pulse didn't go above 85 on his previous rampage.

Holy poo poo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, nightmare before Christmas is an objectively excellent movie for a lot of reasons, and liking it is fine

Using it as part of your identity is the red flag, just like any fandom

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ubachung posted:

What if you're the director of The Boondock Saints and your bloodthirsty lust for vigilante "justice" is completely unironic.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Boondocks Saints 2 was pretty subtle in that no one noticed that it exists

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Boondock Saints is a really dumb movie that people obsess over but I can't hate it because I love how Willem Dafoe's character goes completely nuts and it's wonderful.

Edited Sadie to Dafoe. I have no idea how autocorrect came up with that one.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 07:27 on Jan 18, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Arcsquad12 posted:

Boondock Saints is a really dumb movie that people obsess over but I can't hate it because I love how Willem Sadie's character goes completely nuts and it's wonderful.

Yeah but Willem Dafoe also plays the corniest rear end gayface role.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Arcsquad12 posted:

Willem Sadie

Edit: I had literally completely forgotten that Willem Dafoe was in that movie and was trying to parse Willem Sadie into something that made sense.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Memento posted:

Edit: I had literally completely forgotten that Willem Dafoe was in that movie and was trying to parse Willem Sadie into something that made sense.

That would be my phone's autocorrect loving up.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I always choose some lovely nostalgia movie like Brainscan because at least it's an interesting choice. It also makes people mad.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ravenkult posted:

I always choose some lovely nostalgia movie like Brainscan because at least it's an interesting choice. It also makes people mad.

Wow I haven't thought of that movie in like two decades.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Having a favorite movie be your favorite movie is okay but fandoms are the absolute loving worst. I say this as someone who is on a Rocky Horror Picture Show shadowcast, too.

Someone tried to get us to start a quidditch team and then stored all of the "equipment" in our prop closet at the theater. On top of the endless bickering about what house everyone is in.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
When I first got to college I wore my Invader Zim shirt about 3 times and then never again.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

JebanyPedal posted:

Wow I haven't thought of that movie in like two decades.

As far as 90s lovely horror movies go, it's pretty loving fun.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

This thread has been in my bookmarks for years. I love it and learned so many subtle movie moments from it as well as the detail provided by Echoplex and others.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ I just started reading that, and while it's clearly well thought I do have to quibble with the OP on at least one thing. Echoplex said that the design of the proton pack echoed the plutonium reactor on the De Lorean in Back to the Future, but Ghostbusters came out first - 1984 versus 1985/6.

Baron von Eevl posted:

The voice cast for that show was stacked, Maurice LaMarche, Lorenzo Music, Frank Welker, and Arcenio Hall.

That in itself is a subtle movie moment. Lorenzo Music replaced live action Bill Murray in the animated Real Ghostbusters, and Murray later replaced Music, the voice of the animated Garfield, in the live action Garfield movies.

Jedit has a new favorite as of 11:42 on Jan 18, 2019

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I recently watched the Red Letter Media Re:View on Starship Troopers. I love the movie but haven't seen it for at least 15 years. The scary thing is how anyone could not see the satire in it. I seemed to think it was subtle at the time but it really isn't.

Also the fact it was before 9/11 is drat impressive.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

VideoGames posted:

This thread has been in my bookmarks for years. I love it and learned so many subtle movie moments from it as well as the detail provided by Echoplex and others.

I know that, in this very thread, I've posted a few subtle moments from GB. The Sedgewick billing scene is my favourite of these.

EDIT: ha, my first post ITT, from 2012:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ghostbusters. The moment when they're charging the Sedgewick Hotel their fees, Peter has no idea what to charge. Egon puts his hand up near his face, like just a random, slow gesture, holding up the amount Peter has to ask for.

I've watched this film since I was 4 years old, I can quote it back to front, and I didn't notice this until someone in the GB thread in CD pointed it out.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

habituallyred posted:

We got the joke, it just wasn't laugh in a post worthy. Now if you had recommend people read Armor as the book that Starship Troopers is actually based on...

I tried that but did a poor job. Good idea, substandard execution, story of my life :)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Memento posted:

I liked Armor, for some kinda throwaway sci fi about the horrors of war and the incompetence of the military.

Isn't someone making it into a tv series or movie?

God, I wish. But, I have not heard anything about it...anyone?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don’t know much about the Boondock Saints other than that it seems like a fun shoot em up movie. Is there a reason it cultivated a terrible fanbase?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don’t know much about the Boondock Saints other than that it seems like a fun shoot em up movie. Is there a reason it cultivated a terrible fanbase?

It's the same sort of people who think The Punisher is a good guy and not an absolute monster

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
its juvenile tryhard style and "vigilantism is good actually" message

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I never gave it much thought, but I think my favorite movie has to be Transformers: The Movie. I know it's a feature-film length toy commercial, meant to wipe the slate of the original Transformers to push the new toys coming out, but it's still a solid movie. Plus its infinitely more watchable than any of the Michael Bay Transformer films.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

The movie basically says hey if you're bored enough and your life is going nowhere, may as well go out and start randomly murdering criminals. At least in the few minutes I saw of the sequel it seems like they're on a revenge mission, in the original it literally is just like two drunks sitting around in their gross apartment getting so bored that they get a "message from God" telling them to go kill people.

And then when they do go out and kill people they somehow transform into these slick, badass, long coat wearing, silencer carrying hitmen. So it's a pretty lovely escapist fantasy but one that a lot of dudes of a certain age responded to.

In 2018, it's not even a fun shoot em up anymore because the action is extremely dated. I mean, why ever watch Boondock Saints again when you could just watch John Wick instead?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hirayuki posted:

Here's a belated Christmas gift:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqWJD1ov6oY
(there's at least one more)

This is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Randalor posted:

I never gave it much thought, but I think my favorite movie has to be Transformers: The Movie. I know it's a feature-film length toy commercial, meant to wipe the slate of the original Transformers to push the new toys coming out, but it's still a solid movie. Plus its infinitely more watchable than any of the Michael Bay Transformer films.

That new Bumblebee movie is pretty good IMO, though it's secretly a "girl & her special horse" film, but replace "special horse" with "giant transforming alien robot."

Michael Bay didn't direct it, just produced it

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
My favourite review of Starship Troopers comes from the Conservapedia Letterboxd account (yes it is real):

quote:

Although it overall depicts the Military in a protagonistic light and arguably is pro-war and pro-military, the director of the film, Paul Verhoeven, implied it was actually supposed to push an anti-military, anti-war message where it implied that America during the Cold War were automatically fascists simply because they are entering war, and specifically stated it was "a natural evolution for post-World War II America." In addition, to reinforce Verhoeven's message, he deliberately modeled various scenes after Triumph of the Will and other pro-Nazi propaganda scenes, as well as modeled the protagonists' uniforms after the uniforms utilized by the Nazis (i.e., the character Carl, played by Neil Patrick Harris, wearing a uniform that was modeled after the SS). When asked by Michael Ironside, who was one of the people who had a role in the movie and had read the original book, about why he made the movie despite Verhoeven's leftist politics, he answered "If I tell the world that a right-wing, fascist way of doing things doesn't work, no one will listen to me. So I'm going to make a perfect fascist world: everyone is beautiful, everything is shiny, everything has big guns and fancy ships, but it's only good for killing ******* bugs!" (note that fascism is not "right wing", it is left wing, so Verhoeven's incorrect regarding which wing the Nazis/fascists were part of)

So they really like the depiction of fascism but they hate the movie because it’s actually critical of fascism.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Basebf555 posted:

The movie basically says hey if you're bored enough and your life is going nowhere, may as well go out and start randomly murdering criminals.

I'd like a movie where the word "criminals" is replaced by "ceos" and "wall street bankers".

Maybe it could catch on.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ravenfood posted:

The director commentary on the disc is amazing because Verhoeven just seems continuously confused that nobody understood it was satire.

It also can be used for the "Phil Tippett" drinking game, but be warned: Verhoeven mentions his name a lot. Don't do it with liquor.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Krispy Wafer posted:

This, but Alien 4. At least the first 3/4th of it. Then things go very wrong. Also I haven’t seen it since it came out so it’s probably not that good.

Starship Troopers may not be the best movie, but it’s the funnest. Anyone know if the HD (or 4K if they have it) is worth a purchase if you already have the DVD? Do the special effects hold up in high definition?

I was actually kidding about 3. But the Alien Quadrilogy with all the Director's cuts and the immersive features is an absolute gem of a pro- watch and one of my favorites.
Also, the old Anchorpoint Essays website.
As far as I'm concerned, that's were the franchise began and ended. There are no prequels, no crossovers, no sequels.
Beautiful.

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 20:46 on Jan 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Jedit posted:

That in itself is a subtle movie moment. Lorenzo Music replaced live action Bill Murray in the animated Real Ghostbusters, and Murray later replaced Music, the voice of the animated Garfield, in the live action Garfield movies.

And Billy Murray accepted the role because he thought it was written by Joel Coen. The Garfield Movie. By the Coen Brothers. That would’ve been quite a sight.