Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

That Italian Guy posted:

The Cragheart's strong suit :3:

Also please note that if you do not take a Short Rest at the end of this Round, you'll be forced to take a Long Rest in the following one. Please let me know how you want to proceed! (and if you'd like to reroll any specific lost card) :)

I'll short rest, I'm willing to lose up to 2 hp to keep Dirt Tornado, Massive Boulder, and Heaving Swing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

archduke.iago posted:

I'll short rest, I'm willing to lose up to 2 hp to keep Dirt Tornado, Massive Boulder, and Heaving Swing

Unfortunately, you can only do the "spend 1HP to reroll the lost card" once per rest.

Fortunately, non of those cards was lost! You've lost Earthen Clod instead.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Alright, I'm leaning towards my "piercing attack against a skeleton, moving as needed" plan, then.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

Unfortunately, you can only do the "spend 1HP to reroll the lost card" once per rest.

Fortunately, non of those cards was lost! You've lost Earthen Clod instead.

Oh oops, I've been playing where you continually lose HP if a card you want to keep is picked! Oh well.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

Alright, I'm leaning towards my "piercing attack against a skeleton, moving as needed" plan, then.

Wait. So the plan is:

Rocky punches skeleton 1 to death

Bullwinkle charges skeleton 2

Should I then go late to see what happens then just jump where needed and stab something? I could also jump on top of the loot token and stab corpse 1.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 17, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Wait. So the plan is:

Rocky punches skeleton 1 to death

Bullwinkle charges skeleton 2

Should I then go late to see what happens then just jump where needed and stab something? I could also jump on top of the loot token and stab corpse 1.

I'm not going to be moving very quickly, so the skeleton is probably going to advance into the doorway before I can. I've only got one card left with good initiative and I'm saving it for a better use than this.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
The only really dangerous Living Bones card is their "target one character with all their attacks" card and we saw that card in scenario 1 (I checked because I didn't want to spoil anyone), it goes on initiative 74.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
OK I will go on a really slow initiative, see what's going to happen, and make my decision based on that. Something is either dying or getting stunned this turn for sure.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Barrow Lair, Round 7A

Pending actions from last Round posted:

Rocky executes a Short Rest! Recovers all discarded cards, loses Earthen Clod.

ROUND REVEAL

Fast Undead?Madness! Active players, once you know where the Cragheart is going to be after its turn, please feel free to suggest moving locations for the Living Corpses (taking into consideration that 6(E) will move first, then 1, then the others in order of standee).

"PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green. Available items are also shown there."

Rocky (Hand8, Discarded0, Active0, Lost3) is acting at initiative 35 with Crushing Grasp and Heaving Swing.

35. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (archduke.iago) posted:

code:
"CRUSHING GRASP (35) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3 - IMMOBILIZE - Generate EARTH
BOT: LOOT1"

"HEAVING SWING (57) [Lvlx]
TOP: ATK3 - PUSH1 - You may push the target into hexes containing obstacles. In each case, destroy the obstacle, the target suffers 2 damage and you gain XP1.
BOT: Round bonus Add +1ATK to all your ranged attacks this round. "
Bullwinkle (Hand6, Discarded1, Active1, Lost2) is acting at initiative 54 with Trample and Leaping Cleave.

54. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Zurai) posted:

code:
"TRAMPLE (72) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, PIERCE2
BOT: MOVE4, Jump - ATK2 (Target all enemies moved through) - XP2 - LOSS"

"LEAPING CLEAVE (54) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, PBAOE (check image) - XP1
BOT: MOVE3, Jump - Generate AIR"
Master Splinter (Hand7, Discarded0, Active2, Lost1) is acting at initiative 79 with Frigid Apparition and Feedback Loop.

79. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Elephant Ambush) posted:

code:
"FRIGID APPARITION (29) [LvlX]
TOP: ATK3 - Consume ICE: STUN, XP1
BOT: MOVE4 - STUN (Target one adjacent enemy) - XP1"

"FEEDBACK LOOP (79) [Lvl1]
TOP: Augment - Persistent Bonus On your melee attacks gain SHIELD1 (till end of round) - ATK1 - XP1 (discard when another augment is played)
BOT: MOVE4 - Jump - If you end the movement in the same hex you started in, perform MUDDLE (Target all enemies moved through)."
During this phase, players are free to discuss everything itt, including in depth round breakdown, tactics, and so on; you can use specific card names and numerical values since everything has been revealed already. Everyone itt is also encouraged to take part in the discussion (although the last word is, ofc, reserved for the active players. Be nice! :)
Active players, please discuss your ideas itt and provide your final orders via PM/Email! DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST :getin:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 18, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

It looks like you have a bit of a copy paste error there -- you have my initiative correct but those are the cards I used last round :) My cards for this round are Leaping Cleave and Trample.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Yeah I was just checking back last round because I swear Bullwinkle lost Overwhelming Assault and he did.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Anyway, since the skeleton will indeed be moving before me, I am going to smack it with the top of Trample (atk 3 piercing 2) and then jump towards the zombies, generating air to set myself up for next turn.

EDIT: If I'd managed to move before the enemies, I would have stepped forward with a default bottom use of Trample and then AOE'd the two enemies here with the top of Leaping Cleave. When you have a day between turns like this, it pays to spend a little time and think about how you can structure your actions to give you options during the turn!

Zurai fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 18, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Ops! I'm using a spreadsheet to generate most of the text for step A and it looks like I had forgot to change the active cards for Bullwinkle :) The error has now been fixed!

vvvvvvvvv EDIT: thanks, fixed!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 18, 2019

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
You've changed the text in the quotebox to the right cards, but not the bold text above it. Just a heads up.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

So I can kill Bones3, then move to either F4 or D6, leaning towards the latter so I can tank a bit. I'm imagining a cluster of zombies on G7, I7, H6, J6, K5?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

archduke.iago posted:

So I can kill Bones3, then move to either F4 or D6, leaning towards the latter so I can tank a bit. I'm imagining a cluster of zombies on G7, I7, H6, J6, K5?

Yeah, that's the zomble positioning I was thinking of, too. I'll be moving to either E7 or F6.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

archduke.iago posted:

If the Brute is going to dive for the treasure chest, I don't think you'll need to worry about tanking any hits since the Mindthief can go invisible if they get in trouble.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I won't be able to dive for the treasure chest until I get a chance to rest again. I'm using both of my jump movement cards this round and my 6 movement card is going to be put to other uses. If someone else wants to plan to go for it that's fine with me.

My original plan for getting the treasure chest was to run up and Shield Bash stun the elite this turn then Trample over the crowd next turn, but that won't be possible now.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If you pushed the elite living bones in to the trap that would split the corpses north and south, which may open up a path for the Brute to run through without needing jump?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I'm reasonably confident that I will be opening my own path through the zombies. I don't think reaching the chest will be a huge problem.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So does this mean I'm going to take out the corpse in the lower left room? Assuming the skeletons die?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I think given your relative fragility it's probably best if Master Splinter finishes off the left side. You shouldn't have too much problem ganking the one or two enemies that remain and that will give Rocky and I a chance to further whittle down the horde. I think we both have some plans to AOE them next turn.

EDIT: We could also consider leaving Living Corpse 3 alone to keep us from inadvertently winning the scenario before we can scoop up the loot. A single half-HP zombie is not a credible threat.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Alright. If you finish off the skeleton in the doorway, I'll hop over to the right. Otherwise I will try to finish off that skeleton and then jump right. Whatever I hit will be stunned so 2 curses don't scare me.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

quote:

I'm reasonably confident that I will be opening my own path through the zombies.

quote:

I don't think reaching the chest will be a huge problem.

quote:

A single half-HP zombie is not a credible threat.

quote:

2 curses don't scare me.

FORESHADOWING :ocelot:

:tinfoil:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Hey, I just got told I need to believe in the heart of the cards, and I did land that big 6 damage hit. I'm giving it a try! :v:

That said, even if I whiff everything next turn and end up having to burn cards to damage I should still be able to get to the chest.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

^^^^^^^ I know, I know, I'm kidding :) In fact:

Let's talk Endurance.

A character could, technically, get exhausted by losing all their HP. That said, heroes can burn through their hand to prevent deadly damage, so the only case in which this will happen is if someone with a small hand size and low HP suffers several hits in the same Round.
The real danger to our party is running out of cards. Each Round spent in a Scenario will drain a hero's resources by causing them to reduce their hand size by at least 2; each Rest cycle, heroes will permanently lose at least 1 Card. This allows us to calculate the maximum amount of Round each character can spend dungeon crawling.

The Cragheart, Brute and Mindthief have a beefy starting hand of 11, 10 and 10 respectively. This means that, at best, our Cragheart can spend 30 Rounds in a Scenario before becoming exhausted and our Brute and Mindthief only have 25 rounds instead. That single extra card allows the Cragheart a full extra rest cycle with an almost full hand, granting it 5 more rounds before becoming exhausted.

quote:

Cragheart 11 > 5 rounds > 10 > 5 rounds > 9 > 4 rounds > 8 > 4 rounds > 7 > 3 rounds > 6 > 3 rounds > 5 > 2 rounds > 4 > 2 rounds > 3 > 1 round > 2 > 1 round.
Brute and Mindthief 10 > 5 rounds 9 > 4 rounds > 8 > 4 rounds > 7 > 3 rounds > 6 > 3 rounds > 5 > 2 rounds > 4 > 2 rounds > 3 > 1 round > 2 > 1 round.
We can now better appreciate how a card lost to activation or damage - or even an active card that is not put back into the hand - would shorten our heroes's lifespans.
Furthermore, we can expect certain active cards to be made active as soon as possible (Backup Ammunition, Warding Strength and at least 1 augment - although this one can potentially be recovered into the Mindthief's hand); if these are activated during the character first rest cycle - as they most often are - we can consider our charcters's real starting hand to be 10, 9 and 9, for an effective endurance of 25 rounds for the Cragheart and 20 rounds for the Brute and the Mindthief.

Every time the effective hand size of a character is reduced to a lower even number, that character loses a potential rest cycle, shortening their effective endurance (with a larger effect the larger their current hand size is). We don't know when each character will lose cards to activation or damage, but we know for sure that losing a card early is way worse than losing one towards the end of a scenario, since you effectively lose 1 Round for each additional rest cycle that card is no longer in your hand.

At the current moment, this is the effective endurance of our characters:
Rocky: 17 Rounds left at best.
Bullwinkle: 12 Rounds left at best.
Master Splinter: 12 Rounds left at best (more without active Augments).

This sounds like a solid number...and it is: our players have done well this Scenario! That said, every lost card has a compound effect on the effective endurance: if our heroes would each lose 2(3) cards before their next forced rest cycle, here's what their endurance would look like:
Rocky: 9(6) Rounds left at best.
Bullwinkle: 6(4) Rounds left at best.
Master Splinter: 6(4) Rounds left at best (more without active Augments).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 18, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

As a supplement to that post, it should be noted that active cards (like Master Splinter's augments and Bullwinkle's half-expired Warding Strength) are able to be placed into their appropriate pile -- augments are discarded, Warding Strength is a loss card -- at any time, even if they have remaining activations or another augment card isn't played.

For Bullwinkle, there's no advantage to doing this, since he has no way to get anything back from the lost pile. For Master Splinter, though, he can send his active augment to the discard pile whenever he wants to do a rest which would otherwise leave him with an odd number of cards in his hand, which gives him an extra turn of actions before he has to rest again. And there are characters who can recover lost cards, so sometimes tossing active effects can be beneficial even if they would go to the lost pile; the Spellweaver is the character most likely to take advantage of this since she has a tiny hand size (8), but has a card which reads "recover all of your lost cards". It's usually beneficial for her to pick up any active effects she has when she plays Reviving Ether just to extend her otherwise low longevity.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Because playing a Loss card effectively takes away a rest cycle, and because rest cycles shrink in size as the scenario goes on, playing loss cards later in the scenario reduces your endurance by less than if you play them early on.

For instance, lets say our player is down to 4 cards. Without playing losses, they would have 4 turns left if short resting.

1. 4 in hand, 0 discard
2. 2 in hand, 2 in discard -> short rest after
3. 3 in hand, 0 in discard -> short rest after
4. 2 in hand, 0 in discard -> short rest after
5. Exhaust

However, if our player played 1 loss cards in turn one:

1. 4 in hand, 0 in discard
2. 2 in hand, 1 in discard -> short rest after
3. 2 in hand, 0 in discard -> short rest after
4. Exhaust

Our player only lost one turn of endurance for playing a loss card, as opposed to losing 5 turns of endurance if they played a loss card in their first rest cycle. Now, this logic doesn't really apply to active loss cards because in this case we would've only had 2 turns to take advantage of that active loss, but for non-active loss cards you will lose less turns the more you wait to play them.

The flip-side to this, though, is if you could have used a loss card to say, finish off an enemy and prevent them from attacking you or an ally that resulted in a card being lost to prevent the damage. In either case a card is lost, either through being played or to negate damage, but in the first case you were able to benefit from the more powerful loss action and kill the enemy. Even if it doesn't directly prevent a card from being lost to damage, playing loss cards earlier can build momentum or relieve pressure and allow the rest of the scenario to go more smoothly.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Yep. That's why I only burned one loss card so far. I absolutely needed the movement on it to make it far enough to attack the boss. Gotta be completely relentless on that jerk.

I'm going to be conservative until the end of the scenario and then go ham on my loss cards. The Mindthief gets a ton of xp from loss cards and they're all really powerful for level 1.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I could have been a bit more conservative with my loss cards, but on the other hand if I hadn't played Warding Strength I would have had to lose a card to prevent damage or we would have needed to take different actions on some turns, and the 6 damage on the boss turned out to be critical to killing him. I plan to start going ham soon though. I don't actually think we have too many turns left, though :xcom: can always happen.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

I could have been a bit more conservative with my loss cards, but on the other hand if I hadn't played Warding Strength I would have had to lose a card to prevent damage or we would have needed to take different actions on some turns, and the 6 damage on the boss turned out to be critical to killing him. I plan to start going ham soon though. I don't actually think we have too many turns left, though :xcom: can always happen.

FWIW I think we've all played really well so far. I can't think of any big mistakes anyone made.

For the people following the thread, there is absolutely no penalty for a character exhausting during a scenario. As long as at least one character is not exhausted on the turn when the scenario goal is completed, everyone wins.

In fact my IRL group often tries to minmax these situations at the end of the scenario. Leave one enemy alive and kite it around while looting and maybe trying to complete battle goals, judiciously burning loss cards for xp, then ganking the last enemy or doing whatever triggers the victory condition. We don't always have the mental energy to do that every time but we try when we feel like it.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I should have put a disclaimer in that my post wasn't meant to be critical of any plays anyone has made in the LP, just general info for the people following along.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

I should have put a disclaimer in that my post wasn't meant to be critical of any plays anyone has made in the LP, just general info for the people following along.

I didn't interpret it that way :)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Me neither. I'm just chatting.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Note that it is also possible to prevent damage by losing two cards from your discard. This is almost always extremely bad, but for a Spellweaver thinking about getting all her lost cards back it can be a viable option.

Using the odd loss card to reduce incoming damage is indeed valuable, but remember too that in many scenarios, using a loss card can also reduce the amount of time it will take to win. That is good for everyone, not just you.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Orders are in. Next turn will be interesting for me.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

Orders are in. Next turn will be interesting for me.

Orders in. Mine was literally a big nested if/then statement since what I do really depends on what happens to the skeletons. If we all whiff we're in serious trouble. :ohdear:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Barrow Lair, Round 7B

Pending actions from last Round posted:

None!

35. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (archduke.iago) posted:

- Rocky uses Heaving Swing (top)! Attacks Living Bones 3(E) for 0 (3base, NULL (CURSE) mod, SHIELD1) damage!
Curse modifier removed from the deck!
PUSHES Living Bones 3(E) one hex to C3(2)! Sarcophagus is detroyed! Living Bones 3(E) suffers 2 damage! Gains 1XP.
Living Bones 3(E) is killed!.
- Rocky uses Crushing Grasp (bot as a basic MOVE2)! Moves 1 to D6(2)

:fuckoff:
That was close! There is something metaphysically satisfying in a Skeleton being punched so hard into a Sarcophagus that it dies again.
Gloomhaven Trivia Time: why was the Living Bones killed by Rocky's attack?
Answer: a NULL or NULL(CURSE) attack modifier reduces any incoming attack value to 0. This only applies to the attack itself, though, not to the rest of the attack action. It doesn't stop the PUSH, of course, but it doesn't even prevent the additional 2 Damage, since those are part of the attack action, but not part of the attack the NULL modifier is tied to. SHIELD only reduces attack damage as well and does not apply to other effects of the attack action.

45. Living Bones 9(E) posted:

- Living Bones 9(E) focuses Bullwinkle!
Moves 1 to door c hex
Attacks Bullwinkle with DISADVANTAGE for 1 (2base, +0/+1mod, SHIELD1) damage.
Warding Strength's 4th trigger! Gains 1XP
Bullwinkle is at 3 HP
Extra Target! Attacks Master Splinter for 1 (2base, -1/-1mod) damage.
Master Splinter is at 5 HP
- b]Living Bones 9(E)[/b] loses MUDDLED.

Without the MUDDLE effect, Master Splinter would have lost 3HP instead of one. Not a bad deal!

47. Living Corpse 6(E), 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 posted:

Living Corpse 6(E) focuses Rocky! Moves 2 to G7(2).
Living Corpse 1 focuses Rocky! Moves 2 to H6(2).
Living Corpse 2 focuses Rocky! Moves 2 to J6(2).
Living Corpse 3 focuses Bullwinkle! Attempts to MOVE2, no valid hex available! Loses MUDDLED.
Living Corpse 4 focuses Rocky! Moves 2 to K5(2).
Living Corpse 5 focuses Rocky! Moves 2 to I7(b).

The zombies have all clumped up. Our players must make good use of AOE and positioning to dance around with them and avoid their counter attacks.

54. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Zurai) posted:

- Bullwinkle uses Trample (top)! Attacks Living Bones 9(E) for 4 (3base, +1mod, PIERCE2) damage!
Living Bones 9(E) is killed!.
- Bullwinkle uses Leaping Cleave (bot)! Jumps 2 to E7(2). Generates AIR.

PIERCE allows an attack to ignore up to X points of SHIELD the target has. In this case, it has made the difference between a dead or a dead-dead skeleton :skeltal:it's an undead joke:skeltal:

79. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Elephant Ambush) posted:

- Master Splinter uses Feedback Loop (bot)! Jumps 2 to F6(2)
- Master Splinter uses Frigid Apparition (top)! Consumes ICE! Gains 1XP. Attacks Living Corpse 6(E) for 7 (3base, +2mod +2bonus) damage!
Living Corpse 6(E) is killed!

:ese: Master Splinter can make things very, very dead. Stunned AND dead.

END OF ROUND ACTIONS posted:

- AIR is waning

Well, that was a very impressive round from our party. The three biggest threat are dead...now only an army of moldy zombies stands between our heroes and the loot victory!
Remaining CURSE cards:
- Master Splinter: 3 (18 cards in the deck)
- Bullwinkle: 2 (15 cards in the deck)
- Rocky: 1 (11 cards in the deck)

Active players please provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 19, 2019

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I foresee a storm coming. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Pretty happy about this. I was most concerned that I'd kill the bones on the first hit and miss out on the XP proc. But yes, planning to AOE disarm the zombies.