Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wonder how much the DMV is going to have to spend in new signs when Jesse White retires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

FuturePastNow posted:

I wonder how much the DMV is going to have to spend in new signs when Jesse White retires

LOL him retiring

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Dexo posted:

stuff about pritzker personally paying state staffers on top of their state pay

A governor combining state salaries with private salaries seems to be a really bad idea, from potential conflicts of interest between public/private payrolls/roles to the expectation of high salaries for public workers to (the continued) reliance on self-funding billionaires as an expectation for candidates.

I'd expect a lawsuit over this at some point, even given IL's long history of public/private dollar-mixing. (Not sure if this is still the case, but as recently as a couple decades ago the state campaign-finance laws allowed retiring politicians to convert campaign donations into personal funds.)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dexo posted:

LOL him retiring

well he'll die eventually

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

well he'll die eventually

Itll end up being cheaper and more efficient to just legally rename the secretary of state of illinois to "Jesse White" by that point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just make that the full job title "Introducing the honorable Secretary of State Jessie White Sam McGee".

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Now this is running government like a business!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Very interesting that Trump is following the Bruce Rauner guide to running the government.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/1085261218720276480

Hey guys I can only speak for myself and may be biased but I love this fatcat Billionaire Governor

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Dexo posted:

Hey guys I can only speak for myself and may be biased but I love this fatcat Billionaire Governor

Do you think he can work on disability payments next? Geez.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dexo posted:

Is this just for union state employees or higher ed ones as well?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

That I'm not sure of

I should probably contact my union rep to figure out what exactly is going on eventually.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

turns out video gambling was not a financial boon for the state! absolutely shocking

https://twitter.com/MichaelGrabell/status/1085647528815517699

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

brugroffil posted:

turns out video gambling was not a financial boon for the state! absolutely shocking

https://twitter.com/MichaelGrabell/status/1085647528815517699

Yeah but I'm guessing the people who voted to allow video gambling made a fortune!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1085936854900314113

Another story based on that report.

Nothing will change.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
There are so many half-deserted strip malls here with one of those weird video gambling parlors stuck in.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
You mean they haven't infested your gas stations yet? There's a Shell station a block from my house that has a whole wall full of them.

Hell, there's a little hole in the wall restaurant with a separate room just for gambling in my town.

It's like I'm living in an extremely lovely part of Las Vegas.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

pseudosavior posted:

You mean they haven't infested your gas stations yet? There's a Shell station a block from my house that has a whole wall full of them.

Hell, there's a little hole in the wall restaurant with a separate room just for gambling in my town.

It's like I'm living in an extremely lovely part of Las Vegas.

Yeah. There's a gas station near me that has a small section, maybe 4 or 5 machines? Sad to see them full at like 7am on a Saturday

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Oh, they have, I think every new gas station built in the last few years has had a "Gaming Room" off in one corner. But it's the Ruby's and Uncle Festers stuffed into strips that feel more ubiquitous. May just be a function of the streamers and flags outside for "VIDEO GAMING" and "SLOTS." Especially when you know folks with gambling compulsions that would easily lose all their money at one of those places if the folks around them allowed it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Every gas station in the state. Every stripmall. Every non-chain restaurant and bar.

Every one of them has addicted poor people pulling the lever.

I don't know how well regulated the games are, I've just been assuming they're all rigged.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 17, 2019

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

FuturePastNow posted:

Every gas station in the state. Every stripmall. Every non-chain restaurant and bar.

Every one of them has addicted poor people pulling the lever.

I don't know how well regulated the games are, I've just been assuming they're all rigged.

Not really the whole state. I've never seen "video gaming" establishments in like Hinsdale or Deerfield

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The SituAsian posted:

Not really the whole state. I've never seen "video gaming" establishments in like Hinsdale or Deerfield

Maybe not directly in Hinsdale proper, but there was one around 63rd and Cass. There is one at Plainfield and Cass. And I thought there is one somewhere on Ogden between 83 and Cass or Fairview.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

TMMadman posted:

Maybe not directly in Hinsdale proper, but there was one around 63rd and Cass. There is one at Plainfield and Cass. And I thought there is one somewhere on Ogden between 83 and Cass or Fairview.

even if there aren't the "stand alone" parlors, there are still plenty of bars and restaurants all over that area with little video poker/slots areas.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

oh and this really sucks and the judge's decision was complete police apologia bullshit

https://twitter.com/chicagotribune/status/1085995173241327619

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

brugroffil posted:

oh and this really sucks and the judge's decision was complete police apologia bullshit

https://twitter.com/chicagotribune/status/1085995173241327619
No kidding, this is just vile:

quote:

She said the now-infamous police dashboard camera video showed a completely different perspective than the officers at the scene and that comparing what could be seen on the video with statements and conclusions made in police reports would “disregard the totality of the evidence” in the case.

The judge also said it was clear that McDonald repeatedly refused commands to drop a knife and was approaching officers before he was shot. He also “continued to move” while on the pavement as Officer Jason Van Dyke continued to fire, Stephenson said.

Cute that the Trib labeled this "shocking" though rather than business as usual. Good thing Eddie Johnson's really turning CPD around!

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Looks like her term expires this year. She should be expired from the judiciary permanently.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
We need to start an anti-retention campaign right now.

BTW, MIGF's about to come back and start posting here.

https://twitter.com/DavidOrmsby/status/1086037463343206400?s=19

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Her whole wind up before dropping that verdict pretty much made it clear that if Van Dyke had her he'd be a free man today. Despicable.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Clouseau posted:

Her whole wind up before dropping that verdict pretty much made it clear that if Van Dyke had her he'd be a free man today. Despicable.

Purge the judiciary and start fresh imo

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Did van dyke have the option for a judge instead of jury? Judges always acquit cops and it makes me nuts. Wish we could make all cops have to get a jury, but I don’t think that’s constitutional.

TMMadman posted:

There’s a slot place in Oakbrook on 22nd. There’s like 4 machines at the gas station a block from my house and there are always people there. The Lucky Dog fast food place also has machines and it always depresses me.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Bird in a Blender posted:

There’s a slot place in Oakbrook on 22nd. There’s like 4 machines at the gas station a block from my house and there are always people there. The Lucky Dog fast food place also has machines and it always depresses me.

I did just remember that place as well it's just that my point-and it was made in the report as and I would think pretty obvious to all of us who live in the area-is that the machines are largely in blue collar neighborhoods like Berwyn and not like (at least as far as I know) like Wilmette

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 18, 2019

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Did van dyke have the option for a judge instead of jury? Judges always acquit cops and it makes me nuts. Wish we could make all cops have to get a jury, but I don’t think that’s constitutional.

If I recall correctly he chose a jury, which was a pretty foolish choice for him but a great choice for justice being served.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

That'a what those Stella's places are, right? I have idea what those places do, except have someone outside smoking 24/7, has to be a money laundering operation.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ricketts also just got a soccer stadium denied in the Lincoln Yards project. The alderman said no to the stadium, and to the music venues, so I'm interested to see what changes with that development.

Thank loving god for this. That would've been a nightmare.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Soonmot posted:

That'a what those Stella's places are, right? I have idea what those places do, except have someone outside smoking 24/7, has to be a money laundering operation.

Stella's and Dotty's are slot places.

I know there are a few other chain type places too, although I can't recall their names off hand.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Clouseau posted:

If I recall correctly he chose a jury, which was a pretty foolish choice for him but a great choice for justice being served.

That’s what I figured. Thank god he did because I definitely know the outcome if he chose a judge.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

That said: Judge Gaughan was a wild card. Stephenson I think is a former prosecutor and cozier with cops. Gaughan was a public defender before he became a judge.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So uhm at least a few days in, I am happy with my billionaire fatcat pumpkin-headed governor.

Huh.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Clouseau posted:

That said: Judge Gaughan was a wild card. Stephenson I think is a former prosecutor and cozier with cops. Gaughan was a public defender before he became a judge.

Stephenson has some sort of ties to the defense attorney in the case, very legit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stella’s is the batting cages in Lyons! That also have video slots...