Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Yea its 91 i just remembereed seeing some really old ones, well, thjats okay, sorry for hte typos i just got out form the ocld and my hands are freezingt!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Did Shoemaker leave The Ringer? I noticed he hasn't put out a new podcast in a while, and also hasn't tweeted in a while

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Professor Funk posted:

Did Shoemaker leave The Ringer? I noticed he hasn't put out a new podcast in a while, and also hasn't tweeted in a while
Nah he had a kid.
https://twitter.com/maskedmanshow/status/1082783167394672640?s=21

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
The bummer about the archives is that there's no convenient way of access stuff beyond a certain (and fairly recent) point. I generally listen to podcasts on my phone while I'm doing other things, and there's quite a bit of hoop-jumping involved if you wanted to listen to old Impact stuff, for example.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Oh that's great! :3:

Glad that's the reason he hasn't been around

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I've listened to the last three HoopzChats and would recommend to subscribe if you are into wrestlers shooting the poo poo. The Kevin Steen and 3.0 episode is very good

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Shoemaker not being able to produce content is a tremendous benefit to us all. Hopefully he becomes a quiverfull.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Shoemaker not being able to produce content is a tremendous benefit to us all. Hopefully he becomes a quiverfull.

do you want a dozen of him running around in a decade

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This where I can talk about WOL and stuff?

I just subscribed to them like I said earlier and the one I'm listening to today has Alvarez being salty about the Observer getting award categories for Best Women Wrestler and stuff. "If they're the best wrestler or have the best feud, they will win in those categories."

These are vote-based awards, right? Shouldn't it be abundantly clear about how such awards can be skewed? Like, one thing I've recently been wondering about is just what are the demographics of the prowrestling audience? I always look at the crowd in matches to try and spot as many women as I can. I bring this up because in what I assume is a very male-dominated audience you're going to get a lot of voter bias. This happens in elections for government, nevermind something as insignificant as this.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I just subscribed to them like I said earlier and the one I'm listening to today has Alvarez being salty about the Observer getting award categories for Best Women Wrestler and stuff. "If they're the best wrestler or have the best feud, they will win in those categories."

These are vote-based awards, right? Shouldn't it be abundantly clear about how such awards can be skewed? Like, one thing I've recently been wondering about is just what are the demographics of the prowrestling audience? I always look at the crowd in matches to try and spot as many women as I can. I bring this up because in what I assume is a very male-dominated audience you're going to get a lot of voter bias. This happens in elections for government, nevermind something as insignificant as this.

This hasn't stopped women-only shows and promotions from winning in the past, nor has it stopped Japanese or Mexican wrestlers from winning.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
There is probably going to be a very vocal Becky lobby this year for Wrestler of the Year and he may be being advised to do it to head trouble off at the pass so to speak.

I don't think she'll win but in the privacy of the ballot box who knows.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I don't know the demographics of Wrestling Observer subscribers, which is the actual polled group, but New Japan and Sendai both say their average audience 60:40 men to women these days, WWE is between that and 70:30, Stardom is a weird outlier at like 95:5.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Draxion posted:

I don't know the demographics of Wrestling Observer subscribers, which is the actual polled group, but New Japan and Sendai both say their average audience 60:40 men to women these days, WWE is between that and 70:30, Stardom is a weird outlier at like 95:5.

I would be shocked if more than 10% of the subscribers were women, tbh.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fumi Saito going off on a tangent stomping all over Jim Valley's hypothetical about AEW running a show in Japan was wonderful :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik0BPKM9WQg&t=15s

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 18, 2019

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Who would vote for Becky? She's had 6 months of good promos and four (?) great matches. Pretty good but not Of The Year material nowadays.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Jerusalem posted:

Fumi Saito going off on a tangent stomping all over Jim Valley's hypothetical about AEW running a show in Japan was wonderful :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik0BPKM9WQg&t=15s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD_pVNIcgg0&t=8s

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's only a little fan poll on a dead gay forum certainly, but even so in our own Champ of the Year poll Becky came within a hair of matching or beating Okada who'd had one of the greatest championship reigns in a generation. Recency bias plays a big part too, for a lot of WWE watchers she was the best thing to happen on the main roster for a loooong time and it's still very fresh in their minds.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Yeah it's the same reason the big awards movies come out at the end of the year, people remember the last good thing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The latest Pacific Rim has some great stories about Dave in Tokyo too, it's really worth a listen (the show is always good)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The observer awards skew heavily towards American men's wrestling

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

The observer awards skew heavily towards American men's wrestling

The last time a wrestler won Wrestler of the Year primarily for their work in the US was John Cena in 2010.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

NikkolasKing posted:

They point to Manami Toyota winning wrestler of the year in 1996 as the "see it's possible" but that is such an outlier that hasn't been replicated it's more an anomaly than the system being correct. This is of course without too much knowledge of the Japanese scene in 1996 specifically. I'd like to see who else got strong votes that year.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Remember that year when just about everybody had Sasha Banks in their top 3 workers at the half-way point of the year? Then she went to the main roster? Good times.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Lid posted:

They point to Manami Toyota winning wrestler of the year in 1996 as the "see it's possible" but that is such an outlier that hasn't been replicated it's more an anomaly than the system being correct. This is of course without too much knowledge of the Japanese scene in 1996 specifically. I'd like to see who else got strong votes that year.

Two mistakes I made - it was 1995 and it was most outstanding, not wrestler of the year that was Misawa. Wrestler of the Year and Most Outstanding were treated differently for a long time where most oustanding and wrestler of the year covered different aspects but in recent years they have become really entwined from 2012 with the outlier being Nakamura in 2014.

Though in all truth it may be a return to form this year if Will Osprey wins most outstanding. He deserves it and given just how hard he goes he might not last another few years. Twice as bright burning half as long.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
There’ll be more women around the awards this year; the only two contenders for Rookie of the Year are women and Becky probably wins Best Interview and is probably up there on Flair/Thesz even though she won’t and shouldn’t win. I have a fair few women on my ballot as well - Momo Watanabe is 3 on my Most Outstanding and Most Improved (and women’s MVP), I have Becky 2 on the Interviews one, Stardom is my third favourite promotion this year, Konami is my most Underrated, Becky for the dumb new US MVP award and Utami is of course my rookie of the year. I’m not convinced by these new awards but the Women’s one is the best of them and one that I think has merit: the others really don’t and I don’t get who asked for them.

The Observer Awards are what they are and there is clearly a bias but I think that they are probably the best you can get; it leans to the mainstream promotions but people from smaller places can break through if they’ve had a great year. I also think that it’s probably one of the better awards for women compared to other similar things. I’d really like to give Flair-Thesz to a woman at some point and I always try but I can’t convince myself of doing so this year, the only people are Becky, Charlotte and Ronda and I honestly think that there a load of people ahead of them.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Wrestler of the year should go to Omega. Okada was better at the beginning, Tanahashi was better at the end, but Omega was pretty consistently great the whole way through and his angles were the hottest throughout the year. The only time he wasn't great was maybe around the time of the G1 because he didn't have a strong challenger but the G1 always dips in terms of the main event feud in favor of having starting the build for Wrestle Kingdom so that's fine.

MVP has to be Ronda.

Becky has been great but as Dave pointed out she isn't moving the needle and until WWE really gets behind her she's going to be stuck in second gear. You could certainly give her most improved. It would be a bit hard to say underpushed since she got the title when she got hot and has stayed in the title picture.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Wrestler of the year is LA Park because he drew big houses and had amazing matches across both major companies in Mexico

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

PaybackJack posted:

Wrestler of the year should go to Omega. Okada was better at the beginning, Tanahashi was better at the end, but Omega was pretty consistently great the whole way through and his angles were the hottest throughout the year. The only time he wasn't great was maybe around the time of the G1 because he didn't have a strong challenger but the G1 always dips in terms of the main event feud in favor of having starting the build for Wrestle Kingdom so that's fine.

MVP has to be Ronda.

Becky has been great but as Dave pointed out she isn't moving the needle and until WWE really gets behind her she's going to be stuck in second gear. You could certainly give her most improved. It would be a bit hard to say underpushed since she got the title when she got hot and has stayed in the title picture.

Ronda's getting rookie of the year, most improved should go to Velveteen Dream.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Ronda's getting rookie of the year, most improved should go to Velveteen Dream.

It should go to Micro Man as he has improved the most and is better than that guy.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Bigger draw too

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
lol https://twitter.com/BeckyLynchWWE/status/1086308027542720514

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Was there some sort of sea change in voters/subscribers circa 2010-11 or so? I know that was roughly when New Japan started making their big comeback, but regardless it's noteworthy that they've more or less shut out WWE/North American wrestling in:

Best Wrestler (2011-2017)
Most Outstanding Wrestler (2012-2017)
Match of the Year (2012-2017)
Best Major Wrestling Show (2012-2017)

The obvious argument here is "well they were the best", and I generally agree, but I guess I don't know enough about Japanese wrestling to know if they were *way* better in 2012-2017 than they were (say) 2006-2011, because WWE won a ton of major awards in that five year period and I'm not convinced that the Best of the Best of that era of WWE was any better than their Best of the Best of 2012-2017.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WWE really hasn't had a hot run in quite a while. Like they've had some stuff that was warming towards but they usually ended up killing it off or waiting too long to capitalize on it. Or when they do it right, they have to slap a big ol McMahon sticker on it to make sure you know who feeds you the poo poo.

I think Becky Lynch is the closest thing they've had in a while because its even capturing my attention, a person that absolutely detests everything about WWE from the camera work to the lovely stages to the boring matches. But even Becky isn't someone I'll get up at 3am in the morning to watch a match live because I know its going to get me going like good wrestling should.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

Was there some sort of sea change in voters/subscribers circa 2010-11 or so? I know that was roughly when New Japan started making their big comeback, but regardless it's noteworthy that they've more or less shut out WWE/North American wrestling in:

Best Wrestler (2011-2017)
Most Outstanding Wrestler (2012-2017)
Match of the Year (2012-2017)
Best Major Wrestling Show (2012-2017)

The obvious argument here is "well they were the best", and I generally agree, but I guess I don't know enough about Japanese wrestling to know if they were *way* better in 2012-2017 than they were (say) 2006-2011, because WWE won a ton of major awards in that five year period and I'm not convinced that the Best of the Best of that era of WWE was any better than their Best of the Best of 2012-2017.

Puro went through a huge decline from 2006 to NJPW's comeback. Kobashi got cancer, Misawa died, NJPW was slowly rebuilding and Dragon Gate wasn't quite popular enough.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

MassRafTer posted:

Puro went through a huge decline from 2006 to NJPW's comeback. Kobashi got cancer, Misawa died, NJPW was slowly rebuilding and Dragon Gate wasn't quite popular enough.
So you'd say it's less changing voter demographics/"bias for North American wrestling" and more "there just wasn't anything to get excited about outside of the US" for those years?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mexico exists and yes I know Mistico won

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 18, 2019

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'd also argue the changing demographics of voters vs availability of international footage has a real weird spot between the end of tape trading and the common availability of youtube/livestreaming of japanese shows.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Just as you bring that up, for all that you can lay some of the blame at his own feet, is there a clearer argument against an international star going to WWE than Sin Cara I/Mistico I/Caristico?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Just as you bring that up, for all that you can lay some of the blame at his own feet, is there a clearer argument against an international star going to WWE than Sin Cara I/Mistico I/Caristico?
Mascara Dorada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bryan and Vinny's stories about the start of Nigel McGuiness' career (and their review of the documentary in general) are a really good listen on the latest B&V Show