Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Anime's big in France. NIS regularly does French translations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I thought it was because of canada

:sigh:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

quote:

NIS America also states that this release will see the return of certain English localization staff that have worked on previous titles in the series.

We recently had the opportunity to visit NIS America's offices in LA, where we got the chance to get a look at some of their upcoming games - including a brief teaser for Trails of Cold Steel III. While more information regarding the localization will be revealed during the company's PAX South panel on Friday, we were told that players should expect news regarding who will be helming the title's translation, with an emphasis on NISA bringing aboard talent that already has experience with the series, to "help contextualize, translate and localize the title".

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/8185-n...r-playstation-4

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I didn't say they wouldn't get it and this makes me feel awful, thanks

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Szurumbur posted:

:lol:

Still, English and French? I don't think that's an ordinary combination of languages, unless they onl had money enough for two letter of EFIGS and decided to go in alphabetical order.

It’s called North America. The Canadian province of Quebec requires French. Granted, it’s not real French, it’s gutter French known as Quebecois.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Deadguy2322 posted:

It’s called North America. The Canadian province of Quebec requires French. Granted, it’s not real French, it’s gutter French known as Quebecois.

Don't worry, it's neither of those. It's a version of French called Google Translate(tm).

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Saoshyant posted:

Don't worry, it's neither of those. It's a version of French called Google Translate(tm).

I wonder if we could cause a war by having google translate a dirty joke from English to French to quecpbecois to Spanish to Chinese to Malay to Quebec french...

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Deadguy2322 posted:

Now that you mention it, it does seem kind of obvious, but doesn't North America also contain Mexico? Though I suppose they have to make do with English, like the rest of non-EFIGS European countries.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The difference is I think English+French is like legally required in Canada lol

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes.

There is no law in the US requiring that video games be released in Spanish.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Szurumbur posted:

Now that you mention it, it does seem kind of obvious, but doesn't North America also contain Mexico? Though I suppose they have to make do with English, like the rest of non-EFIGS European countries.

North America contains Mexico, Center America begins south of our border

I think USA teaches people that NA is just USA and Canada though?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ignis posted:

it doesn't. or at least that's not my experience

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ignis posted:

No it doesn't

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah. 'Cept no one cares except the Quebecois.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
How could USA schools teach people that Mexico is on another continent if there's a wall to be built, they couldn't do that if there no land border. But at least the mystery with English + French is solved, thanks for explaining that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Szurumbur posted:

How could USA schools teach people that Mexico is on another continent if there's a wall to be built, they couldn't do that if there no land border. But at least the mystery with English + French is solved, thanks for explaining that.

...you do know that, for example, Europe and Asia are two different continents that have a land border, right?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Ignis posted:

Mexican divisons of most companies don’t fall under the umbrella of North American operations, so Spanish isn’t a consideration. For most business purposes, Mexico is part of Latin American operations, which covers from the northern border of Mexico down to the tip of South America.

Canadian divisions of most corporations are subsidiaries of the American branches, or started as such, so it makes life simpler for the same product to be packaged for US and Canada because Canada is too small of a market to really merit completely separate production. The biggest problem this causes is that, while Mexican prices are geared to their economy, Canadian pricing for a lot of consumer goods, especially for games and consoles, are simply the American price adjusted for exchange (with a generous margin of error) plus a premium to prevent Americans living near the border from buying in Canada to save money.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/1086323010129166337

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

drat you beat me to it

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1086328246159867904?s=19

Ok turns out everything's gonna be fine after all

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I guess all we have to worry about now is NISA somehow finding a way to blow up your PS4 through localization.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you're buying Senran Kagura Burst Renewal, the "At the Seams" version is just a box containing the "Tailor Made" edition with the keychains included.

It's a PS4 game but considering the series origins (and closure of the SK thread) I thought I would mention that here.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
SK Burst is just the story of the first one on the 3DS, but using stages from the Versus series, right?

Also, what happened with Ys 8? I saw it somewhere fairly cheap and was wondering if it was worth a look.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Anora posted:

Also, what happened with Ys 8? I saw it somewhere fairly cheap and was wondering if it was worth a look.

It's good but the Vita version is missing some stuff IIRC.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Anora posted:

SK Burst is just the story of the first one on the 3DS, but using stages from the Versus series, right?

Yeah.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The game includes two new stories focused on Yumi and Miyabi but aside that, you don't miss much if you have played EV already.

Definitely not a game worth buying at full price.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
If you haven't played the greatest mind gently caress time travel warfare otaku character growth visual novel yet, Steins Gate is on sale for 9$ right now:

https://psprices.com/region-us/game/104517/steinsgate

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think it was on PS+ last month too right?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Crypt of the Necrodancer is on sale and I've heard good things. Does the game run/play pretty well on Vita?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Minidust posted:

Crypt of the Necrodancer is on sale and I've heard good things. Does the game run/play pretty well on Vita?

It runs ok, but if you haven't played it yet, try it on steam first with refund. It's definitely a "not for everyone" type of game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

If you haven't played the greatest mind gently caress time travel warfare otaku character growth visual novel yet, Steins Gate is on sale for 9$ right now:

https://psprices.com/region-us/game/104517/steinsgate

It's extremely good, but isn't some sort of Stein's;Gate game coming out in the near future with extra content and stuff?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

It's extremely good, but isn't some sort of Stein's;Gate game coming out in the near future with extra content and stuff?

http://spike-chunsoft.com/SteinsGateElite/home.php

The same game but using the anime for graphics instead of static images.

Optimistic Puma
Aug 7, 2007
Where did the seagulls take my sister?
Is there any reason to play it if you have already seen the anime? I got it for PS3 through Plus but I find Vita is better for VNs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The anime condenses a lot and skips a bunch of stuff with the side characters in favour of just following the true end route but tbh I kind of preferred that.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Optimistic Puma posted:

Is there any reason to play it if you have already seen the anime? I got it for PS3 through Plus but I find Vita is better for VNs.
The game is about 5 times as long as the anime.

Dehry posted:

http://spike-chunsoft.com/SteinsGateElite/home.php

The same game but using the anime for graphics instead of static images.
Hm, i honestly prefer the art style of the VN over the anime. Due to being animated the anime art is a LOT more stream-lined and has less character.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. I think the VN art looks really cool and unique, I wouldn't want to replace it with TV animation stills.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah. I think the VN art looks really cool and unique, I wouldn't want to replace it with TV animation stills.

Elite is basically fully animated. It's still not the same as the VN art, but there's some serious effort put in - while they are using a lot of the footage from the anime, they went back and animated a lot of new scenes for Elite.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
speaking of titles with semicolons in it, how's Chaos;Child, I've heard really disparate opinions on it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Personally I thought it sucked but others seem to like it, it just felt mean spirited in a way neither of the other two semi colon games I know do.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I only tried wtching the anime of it, and the art was a first turn-off, with everyone looking VERY similar, and the story then doing absolutely nothing to alleviate this, so near the end there's girls dying and i have no idea who they are and why they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ty, i'm going to get S;G elite for the switch so I'll backburner that until it's like, super on sale or something

also I liked the look of Bad Apple Wars but every review I've read says that it's badly written, is there anything good in that "teen edgy" aesthetic (for lack of a better term) that I generally dig