Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
BW Megatron was able to (if only briefly) erase the 1980s, the human race and therefore the audience from history, he is the most successful villain in the franchise

if you count the sequel series (which you really shouldn't since it was written by different people who liked anime or something) he was able to conquer Cybertron and effectively committed genocide against the entire population

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It was fun to have a Megatron who only had a handful of treacherous nitwits at his disposal and was also just some terrorist and not the most powerful overlord of all time. And yet he still almost won despite having to out think his own crew more than the good guys.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

If anyone is interested in the CG nerdery that goes into these this is a pretty good article on transformations. https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature...bee-168309.html

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I finally had the chance to see Bumblebee, and yes, it's no wonder this thing is under-performing. It's a children's movie, and not one of those that Pixar might make where there's gags and characters that'll engage the whole family. The plot was just a slice-of-life with a robot, the dialogue was pretty much out of the G1 show with all that entails and so was the action. It was nice seeing the old Transformer designs, but I would've walked out if I had gone alone. It was boring.

The kids loved it though. It would be unfair to call it a bad movie, it just isn't for the same audience as the Bay ones. I should have realized earlier, but when people were talking about the "boy and his car/dog" thing, I expected a repeat of Bay's first Transformers only less loud and aggressive.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 11, 2019

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Michael Bay is still loving his hysterical critics in the rear end by virtue of this piece of poo poo Bumblebee film underperforming at the box office. :owned:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Bumblebee hasn't exactly underperformed. It's had great legs which shows good word of mouth and a positive reception. It's now crossed $100m domestic and $300m+ worldwide. It had a far smaller budget so it is already profitable while Last Knight lost over $100m.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/bumblebee-solidly-profitable-making-sequel-likely-the-last-knight-lost-100-million

As something with a different tone, scope and audience than the previous films it would never have been expected to do numbers as big as the previous films. It's done pretty well and it is far from a flop on the level of John Carter etc.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
:rolleyes:

Yeah guys, this movie about robots transforming into cars has a totally different audience than the previous five movies about robots transforming into cars. Even The Last Knight nearly doubled the revenue of this pile of poo poo.

MIchael Bay status: Still owning the critics.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I wonder how the bit in Bumblebee, where Bee wakes up and he's in angry red-eye Decepticon mode and he just starts wasting people but then his eyes turn blue again an he becomes a nice Autobot factors into the Terry reading.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

Bumblebee hasn't exactly underperformed. It's had great legs which shows good word of mouth and a positive reception. It's now crossed $100m domestic and $300m+ worldwide. It had a far smaller budget so it is already profitable while Last Knight lost over $100m.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/bumblebee-solidly-profitable-making-sequel-likely-the-last-knight-lost-100-million

As something with a different tone, scope and audience than the previous films it would never have been expected to do numbers as big as the previous films. It's done pretty well and it is far from a flop on the level of John Carter etc.

Do they just not count the global haul when "determining" whether a film "lost" money? Because TLK brought in 600m worldwide according to a link in that very article.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Transformers was always a nihilistic Reagan-born exercise in fetishistic violence and regressive politics dressed in the trappings of american idealism, which Bay understood perfectly. Bumblebee trying to pretend that there's some sort of pure, spielbergian, soft-focus pathos hidden in the racist cartoon designed hawk rebranded overstock toys from japan to children was strong enough horseshit for audiences to smell.

But they liked it when Bay did the exact same thing with the first movie?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Slutitution posted:

:rolleyes:

Yeah guys, this movie about robots transforming into cars has a totally different audience than the previous five movies about robots transforming into cars. Even The Last Knight nearly doubled the revenue of this pile of poo poo.

MIchael Bay status: Still owning the critics.

Yeah, Bumblebee was going for the audience who enjoy things like story, and characters, and comprehensible action scenes in their films.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Fsmhunk posted:

But they liked it when Bay did the exact same thing with the first movie?

Again, let's not forget the difference in tone here. Bumblebee is to Bay's Transformers what the 60s Batman TV show is to any of the Batman movies, or the Hobbit to the Lord of the Rings.

I'm not belittling the movie. It's a saturday-morning cartoon in live-action form. It's intentional, and it pulls it off well. Bay's first Transformers mined the same nostalgia, but no one would attach the description "Spielbergian" to it. One is for 80s kids who want to be upset with Bay while they secretly enjoy his madness, and the other is for their kids.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Donnerberg posted:

Again, let's not forget the difference in tone here. Bumblebee is to Bay's Transformers what the 60s Batman TV show is to any of the Batman movies, or the Hobbit to the Lord of the Rings.

I'm not belittling the movie. It's a saturday-morning cartoon in live-action form. It's intentional, and it pulls it off well. Bay's first Transformers mined the same nostalgia, but no one would attach the description "Spielbergian" to it. One is for 80s kids who want to be upset with Bay while they secretly enjoy his madness, and the other is for their kids.

i would absolutely call the first Transformers movie Spielbergian. Spielberg was a producer who was, by all accounts, relatively active in the production of the movie, was the entire reason Michael Bay ended up directing it in the first place, and it definitely has some hallmarks of his storytelling style. it's the other four where Bay took off and did his own thing.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Alright, good point.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I wonder how the bit in Bumblebee, where Bee wakes up and he's in angry red-eye Decepticon mode and he just starts wasting people but then his eyes turn blue again an he becomes a nice Autobot factors into the Terry reading.

To me, that seemed thematically connected to Charlie using the power of "gun" to reboot him. It briefly reverted him to the default state of a Transformer, which is red-eyed violence (as seen with the newborn robots created by the Allspark in the other films).

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Do they just not count the global haul when "determining" whether a film "lost" money? Because TLK brought in 600m worldwide according to a link in that very article.

Measuring global gross against budget is deceptive because any movie of that size additionally has a promotional budget anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of the production budget.

You’re not wrong in being suspicious of industry execs and spokesmen, but just remember that they have an invested interest in making a phrase like “This movie lost us $100 mil,” and not, “We gambled away $100 mil trying to get a quarter of a billion.” That’s the kind of mindset at work here.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

https://www.artofvfx.com/bumblebee-...t1boWysr0XQcE3I

More Bumblebee vfx spergin.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

K. Waste posted:

Measuring global gross against budget is deceptive because any movie of that size additionally has a promotional budget anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of the production budget.

You’re not wrong in being suspicious of industry execs and spokesmen, but just remember that they have an invested interest in making a phrase like “This movie lost us $100 mil,” and not, “We gambled away $100 mil trying to get a quarter of a billion.” That’s the kind of mindset at work here.

The flip side of this is also that budgets are usually absolute horseshit cooked up to keep as little of the actual gross from counting as taxable profit, of course.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah, Bumblebee was going for the audience who enjoy things like story, and characters, and comprehensible action scenes in their films.

That's not a demographic, it's just you bragging about how you like better robot movies

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

Are you getting snobby about giant robot movies?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yes I am because anyone who thought Last Knight was anything other than a total mess devoid of any value whatsoever deserves to be mocked

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i mean if you can't enjoy a film which totally disregards reality in favour of arthurian legend being the result of alien robots killing a giant alien robot dragon then :thunk:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Wandle Cax posted:

Yes I am because anyone who thought Last Knight was anything other than a total mess devoid of any value whatsoever deserves to be mocked

It's the climax of the series arc about Optimus' nihilistic and genocidal quest to murder and replace God so almost by definition it owns.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

also, it has a planet crashing into another planet, destroying the moon in the process

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

also, it has a planet crashing into another planet, destroying the moon in the process

Didn't they already do that in Dark of the Moon, with Sentinel summoning Cybertron with the pillars?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Timby posted:

Didn't they already do that in Dark of the Moon, with Sentinel summoning Cybertron with the pillars?

no no that was cybertron appearing very close to earth

in last knight, cybertron literally smashes into earth and presumably kills millions of people. on the way to doing this, it breaks the moon up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still want a whole movie based on this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y22PZjPRNI

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

i love the little look Lennox gives megatron at the end. it's such a bay thing that you get this sense that lennox respects megatron more than the people representing his government: pfft, lawyers, right? and the absurdity of megatron taking no for an answer is a great touch.

meanwhile, like half of these guys are murdered in their first fight scene in a number of seconds. especially onslaught, who probably comes across as the most sympathetic right at the end there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

i love the little look Lennox gives megatron at the end. it's such a bay thing that you get this sense that lennox respects megatron more than the people representing his government: pfft, lawyers, right? and the absurdity of megatron taking no for an answer is a great touch.

meanwhile, like half of these guys are murdered in their first fight scene in a number of seconds. especially onslaught, who probably comes across as the most sympathetic right at the end there.

I dunno, Nitrozeus seems like a fun guy and Dreadbot blew up a bank's money. That's some good stuff right there.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

"Y'all need a bigger door" always makes me smile.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

I dunno, Nitrozeus seems like a fun guy and Dreadbot blew up a bank's money. That's some good stuff right there.

Deceptions have always been against the 1%. They’re the good guys.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

MonsieurChoc posted:

The superhero landing is a nice touch too.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
so what was up with the romeo-juliet law guy from the nth movie

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's epic satire, just like how the misogynist stuff in the movies is. And the real life satire he did by harassing Megan Fox and just treating other actresses really badly as well.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fsmhunk posted:

It's epic satire, just like how the misogynist stuff in the movies is. And the real life satire he did by harassing Megan Fox and just treating other actresses really badly as well.

He harassed Megan Fox and other actresses?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It's also funny how the Americans are less evil without Optimus: they actually arrested the Decepticons and treat them like criminals instead of shooting them in the back of the head CIA-style.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Slutitution posted:

https://www.thecut.com/2016/06/history-of-michael-bay-being-a-sexist-jerk.html

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Slutitution posted:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/when-michael-bay-degraded-megan-foxthen-tried-to-sabotage-her-career

https://jezebel.com/5816749/this-is-happens-when-you-meet-michael-bay-for-the-first-time

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Farg posted:

so what was up with the romeo-juliet law guy from the nth movie

One of the main things that Bay is interested in in all his movies is men looking at women as possessions that, by being possessed, affirm their masculinity. Australian rally car guy and Mark Wahlberg are competing for ownership of Mark Wahlberg's daughter throughout the movie. It's pretty similar to the dynamic between Ben Affleck, Bruce Willis, and Liv Tyler in Armageddon, except this time taking place in the Transformers late capitalist hell world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The 'letter from the cast' he put up on his website is completely disgusting. The part where he says she has a lower back tattoo because of a 'bad childhood' is so loving nasty.