Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mkasu
Oct 20, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I have the Sonys and I've actually come to appreciate these, because it means that you can use the controls without exerting any actual pressure on the headphones themselves and moving them.

Interesting point.
Maybe in the shop, it was more me fighting with the machine the headset was mounted to. Both the touch controls as well as the controls mounted to the wall were pretty irresponsive.
Controlling without applying actual pressure sounds like a good thing to have.

I went ahead and ordered the Sonys online. Looking forward to receive them and trying them out in the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Budget - $50 to $100
Source - Android Phone, Ipad
Isolation Requirements - Mainly for Airplane travel and at the gym
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM or Earbuds.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced would be great, maybe a tad towards bass?
Past Headphones - Mostly PC headphones, used Apple Earbuds and didn't mind them, although I know they aren't the best.
Preferred Music - poo poo loads of lovely punk and metal

Caveat, I broke my current apple airbuds and I leave for Florida on Thursday, so anything that can be overnighted from Amazon would be helpful. Thanks! (Its currently Tuesday1/15)

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
It's my birthday, and my lovely wife got me the plantronics backbeat pro 2s.

The anc is worlds better than anything I've had before. I can't hear the dryer, central air, or the dishwasher at all if I turn it on. It's slightly unnerving.

These are the first headphones where I can say without a doubt exactly where a sound is coming from on my source, the positional audio is nuts. The sound itself feels a bit v shaped which I generally don't go for, but at normal volumes it's more than acceptable and I find most things pretty enjoyable.

They dont look the greatest, the volume wheel is just bad for a 100 dollar plus headset, and there's just a touch of sibilance at higher (90%+) volumes.

These are super comfy, pleasant cans that feel like jacks of all trades and masters of none. If you don't have a bunch of money and want to splurge on one set for yourself, I'd easily recommend these as long as you don't care about the physical product beyond how comfortable it is.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Flaggy posted:

Budget - $50 to $100
Source - Android Phone, Ipad
Isolation Requirements - Mainly for Airplane travel and at the gym
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM or Earbuds.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced would be great, maybe a tad towards bass?
Past Headphones - Mostly PC headphones, used Apple Earbuds and didn't mind them, although I know they aren't the best.
Preferred Music - poo poo loads of lovely punk and metal

Caveat, I broke my current apple airbuds and I leave for Florida on Thursday, so anything that can be overnighted from Amazon would be helpful. Thanks! (Its currently Tuesday1/15)

These should do the trick

https://www.amazon.com/Beryllium-Earphones-Headphones-Sweatproof-Secure-fit/dp/B071G5JKYD?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_18018285011

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Will give them a try, thanks! Read some of the reviews, might just be what I am looking for and I can get them delivered tomorrow!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I got an odd question.

So I have three DAC/amps. The first is my JDS Labs Atom with Khadas Toneboard, the second is a Fiios E10K, and the third is a Micca Origen G2 I got secondhand from a friend.

I use the Atom/Khadas combo the most often by a wide margin, then the G2 when I'm at my partner's place. Something I've noticed is that when I listen to music by either plugging my headphones straight into my phone or using the G2/Fiio E10K, is that it's easier for me to separate elements of the music.
So when there's a soft guitar in the background of otherwise loud sounds, I can still easily distinguish it. Things sound a bit wider, more three dimensional and positional.

This isn't the case with the Atom. Don't get me wrong, the Atom is my favorite by a decent bit as it just plains sound better for whatever reason, but it's a noticeable difference and it sounds narrower, but beefier when it comes to bass. It is, however, prone to certain sounds or instruments getting themselves lost underneath the other aspects of a recording.
Maybe I'm just listening to the Atom louder and that makes it harder to separate instruments? Do the other amps color the music a bit? I've listened to the same songs off of Tidal a handful of times just to make sure I'm not hearing things, but it's rather obvious.

The RCA cables I have do have a bit of a habit of loosening out of the sockets on the Khadas and Atom if I jostle them but otherwise they're fine, though they don't "clip" into the sockets like an optical or coaxial cable does. No idea if that has anything to do with it, though I doubt it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
IMO you are going off about stuff that is completely due to the DAC output amp.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

redeyes posted:

IMO you are going off about stuff that is completely due to the DAC output amp.

What do you mean by that?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

JebanyPedal posted:

What do you mean by that?

I mean the amplifier output is what you are noticing. Not really the DAC.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

redeyes posted:

I mean the amplifier output is what you are noticing. Not really the DAC.

Yeah the Atom is the amp.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I ended up going a different direction after sending the DT770's back and grabbed a pair of Meze 99 Neo's. They're super light and feel pretty well built. They have a ton of bass. They're also super comfortable. Sadly, I can't compare them to the DT770's since I had them out of the box for maybe 10 minutes before they went back in because of the rattle, but most reviews I've seen give the DT770 the edge. For my use case they probably weren't going to work though. The 99 Neo works well straight off my phone and the ES100 does a great job with it too. So far, so good. I plugged them into my desktop amp that I listen to my DT1990's on without adjusting the volume. It was loud :v:

mkasu
Oct 20, 2012
My WH-1000XM3 arrived today, and I used them in office all day. While my neck hurts a bit (I am not really used to wearing a headphone all day, mostly wore earplugs before,) I am having a blast so far.

The headphone is still comfortable for me, even after 6 hours of constant wear. While I had headsets in the past which were just a tad more comfortable for 12-hour-sessions, I also experienced much worse. The Sonys are definitely on the comfortable side of the scale, for me anyway.

The noise cancelling is incredible and a blessing in both the subway, and the office. I also have Apple AirPods which leave everything through, and multiple Sennheiser headsets without any noise cancelling, so the Sony is a pretty overwhelming contrast.

I still need get used to the Sony sound. The bass is really really strong. I mostly listen to metal songs, and their bass almost gets a distracting component to it. But after playing with equalizer settings and some hours of listening to it, I think I quite enjoy it.

Ah, and yes, I got used to the touch controls pretty quickly. I think it went from "pretty gimicky" to "I love it" within one afternoon.

BTW, not sure if it is local or already available worldwide (I'm in Japan.) I got a firmware update to 4.1.1 after unpacking. I thought it maybe wasn't shipped with the current version, but as it turns out the firmware update just got released today, good timing. It features Alexa support and multi-language announcements.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

mkasu posted:

My WH-1000XM3 arrived today...

Nice, mine just arrived today as well. Waiting for the lengthy update to finish, so I haven't tried them out just yet.

I'm much more used to a flat monitor-style sound, so I'll be interested to see how these go! As long as they can soften my co-workers awful clicky keyboards I'll be happy.

Edit:
After having a listen, I turned "ClearBass" all the way to -10 and it sounds a lot more like what I'm used to.

Also holy hell the Sony app is bad. It's nice that you can turn off the voice guidance now though.

Granite Octopus fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 18, 2019

mkasu
Oct 20, 2012
More 1000XM3 stuff:

I played around a bit more with Equalizer settings. The pre-installed choices all seem either pretty bassy or over-the-top trembly.
Googling around and comparing some threads on how to choose custom settings, I think the general recommendation is something like:

400: usually 0
1k: +2 to +4
2.5k: +1 to +6
6.3k: +4 to +5
16k: +5 to +10
Clear Bass: -3 to -5

I found these to result in much more balanced sounds than without equalizer or with any of the presets. But I am no audiophile nor have much experience with audio stuff, so take it with a grain of salt.

Regarding noise cancelling: Today there were actually some events in our office which resulted in an even noisier environment than it would have usually been. The XM3 worked as expected. Usually low- to mid-range stuff like background noises, keyboards, air conditioning, computer fans, etc. are killed entirely. Voices, especially higher pitch ones, are only killed like 85-90% if only using ANC. But, as soon as playing any kind of music or podcast (even at low volume,) I was unable to hear anything around me. It is incredible what kind of difference that made for my stress levels during the day..

Edit: With events I meant, btw, that there was a group of like 25 people doing presentations and Q&A directly next to me, as there was something like an "open day" for our laboratory (I work at a university.) The XM3 blocked out everything.

mkasu fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 18, 2019

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've recently come to the conclusion that balanced armature drivers are super hard to tune right to equal (and surpass) dynamic drivers. It can be done but a lot of the time its more hype than good sound.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
V-MODA’s are on sale on Amazon for $99 right now

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bone posted:

V-MODA’s are on sale on Amazon for $99 right now

I really wanted to like these but drat if they don’t get uncomfortable after a short while.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.

MarcusSA posted:

I really wanted to like these but drat if they don’t get uncomfortable after a short while.

They have some XL pads you could buy which might help.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bone posted:

They have some XL pads you could buy which might help.

Oh I didn't even look into that. I'll check that out thanks!

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I have a question I wasn't able to google. I bought a monoprice monolith usb dac, but when i plug it in to my headphones, it seems to think my headphones are the background speakers, so I can't hear voices at all.

Ive tried different programs and settings on Lav filters, but can't solve this?

all headphones ive tried have the same issue. pluging headphones directly to desktop works fine.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Femur posted:

I have a question I wasn't able to google. I bought a monoprice monolith usb dac, but when i plug it in to my headphones, it seems to think my headphones are the background speakers, so I can't hear voices at all.

Ive tried different programs and settings on Lav filters, but can't solve this?

all headphones ive tried have the same issue. pluging headphones directly to desktop works fine.

I use the Monolith USB all the time. That's extremely odd, they should just show up as stereo without any surround mixing at all. Do you windows sound settings have it showing as 2 channel?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Are there any other commuting ANC cans worth considering over the 1000MX3, or should I just jump on the $340 AUD Sony's in my cart now?

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

Are there any other commuting ANC cans worth considering over the 1000MX3, or should I just jump on the $340 AUD Sony's in my cart now?

if ANC isn't as big of a focus and you don't mind something that is close to Bose QC35II levels of anc I'd strongly suggest getting the Sony WH900N's/Hear.On 2's. probably the most balanced wireless headphone out there outside of the QC35II, and personally I think it sounds much better. 1000XM3 is amazing on the ANC, but the sound is very warm/bassy and the upper mids/lower treble are very veiled or dark in nature.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

5-HT posted:

if ANC isn't as big of a focus and you don't mind something that is close to Bose QC35II levels of anc I'd strongly suggest getting the Sony WH900N's/Hear.On 2's. probably the most balanced wireless headphone out there outside of the QC35II, and personally I think it sounds much better. 1000XM3 is amazing on the ANC, but the sound is very warm/bassy and the upper mids/lower treble are very veiled or dark in nature.

I don't mind a dark sound signature, especially while commuting. My current commuting headphones are the Massdrop X Mee Planamics which are probably the darkest earphones known to man. I ended up grabbing the XM3s, I'm happy to EQ if needed and Sydney is loud as gently caress so ANC matters.

With more critical listening at home I prefer more linear sound with accurate treble. My favourite thing about my HE6se is that they have their fantastic treble (I upgraded from HE560 mostly for the treble), and the same for my secondary Focal Elex.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I am really liking the BGVP DM6. If I had to complain about something it would be they are too hard to get! I just can't find a fault with them with any source music. It blows me away these IEMs can do gangster rap as well as live classical. Surely that is something special.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

The Sony WH1000XM3 wasn't remembering the EQ settings I had entered when switching from my phone to my computer. Turns out you need to put the phone in SBC mode, then change the EQ settings, otherwise it will just revert to the default EQ settings when you next switch devices.

This does mean they will be in SBC mode but I don't think I can pick up a difference in quality between that and AAC.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Hope you guys can help me find something, thanks in advance!

Budget - £100
Source - PC (either through logitech speakers headphone jack or usb)
Isolation Requirements - nah
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced or bass
Past Headphones - AKG K915 (what I'm trying to replace)
Preferred Music - Rock, metal, synthwave, vidya games

I basically want some wireless headphones for my desk that can sit in a charging station when I'm not using them and can easily plug in when I need. I'm not looking for a gaming headset because I'm happy with my desk mic.

I've been happy with the sound from my akgs but the cushioning is wearing a bit, the covers slide off easily and it's losing charge quickly. Also they frequently don't sit in the dock properly after use so I come back to them and they're almost dead way too often. Any ideas?

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Overminty posted:

Hope you guys can help me find something, thanks in advance!

Budget - £100
Source - PC (either through logitech speakers headphone jack or usb)
Isolation Requirements - nah
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced or bass
Past Headphones - AKG K915 (what I'm trying to replace)
Preferred Music - Rock, metal, synthwave, vidya games

I basically want some wireless headphones for my desk that can sit in a charging station when I'm not using them and can easily plug in when I need. I'm not looking for a gaming headset because I'm happy with my desk mic.

I've been happy with the sound from my akgs but the cushioning is wearing a bit, the covers slide off easily and it's losing charge quickly. Also they frequently don't sit in the dock properly after use so I come back to them and they're almost dead way too often. Any ideas?

get a pair of used or refurb Sony WH-900N's/Hear.On 2's from eBay. best bet for your needs @ your budget.

Scottishprog
Jun 30, 2012
It's time to tweak my setup a bit....

I have a pair of Massdrop HD1060s that need a new set of ear pads... one side has the cover coming off. (Could I pry the pad off, and re-glue the fabric?)

Main issue that I have is the seeming lack of bass in the sound. Could be the amp I am using - An Onkyo A-5VL. Drive a DIY set of speakers really well, but not so much for the headphones. (The clarity/detail seems to be ok - don't have to turn up the volume to understand speech.)

Looking at Schiit Magni preamp, driven off of my Onkyo, using its DAC. But I am open to suggestions.

Budget: Up to $300 for the amp, more if the value is there. Also open to different headphones too.
Source: PC Optical out
Isolation: Not needed.
Preferred Type of Headphone: I have in-the-ear hearing aids, so Over-the-Ear only.
Preferred Tonal Balance: Neutral. Clarity of reproduction is more important.
Past Headphones: Shure SRH1440s Decent sound reproduction, absolutely garbage headband, comfortable, but very fragile.
Preferred Music: Renaissance, Medieval, Electronica. (With occasional Metal and/or bagpipes.)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Scottishprog posted:

It's time to tweak my setup a bit....

I have a pair of Massdrop HD1060s that need a new set of ear pads... one side has the cover coming off. (Could I pry the pad off, and re-glue the fabric?)

Main issue that I have is the seeming lack of bass in the sound. Could be the amp I am using - An Onkyo A-5VL. Drive a DIY set of speakers really well, but not so much for the headphones. (The clarity/detail seems to be ok - don't have to turn up the volume to understand speech.)

Looking at Schiit Magni preamp, driven off of my Onkyo, using its DAC. But I am open to suggestions.

Budget: Up to $300 for the amp, more if the value is there. Also open to different headphones too.
Source: PC Optical out
Isolation: Not needed.
Preferred Type of Headphone: I have in-the-ear hearing aids, so Over-the-Ear only.
Preferred Tonal Balance: Neutral. Clarity of reproduction is more important.
Past Headphones: Shure SRH1440s Decent sound reproduction, absolutely garbage headband, comfortable, but very fragile.
Preferred Music: Renaissance, Medieval, Electronica. (With occasional Metal and/or bagpipes.)

The JDS Labs Atom I have has some fantastic punchy bass, more so than the other amps I have in that price range. It's also an extraordinarily neutral amp that does little to no coloring on music. It has what is likely the best SINAD rating for its price as well. It can also drive most headphones pretty well. I have some DT990 Pros that it has no issue with at all, my LCD-X's get louder than they'd ever need to be with no need to adjust gain on either.

At $99 it's a steal. The only thing that's a little meh is the build quality, it's solid and does its job fine, but it's plastic and light. Otherwise I'm pretty glad 5-HT set me on it because at this point I'm so happy with it I have zero desire to upgrade.

It uses RCA inputs but if you use the Onkyo it should work alright.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 23, 2019

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you need replacement pads for the M1060s any Audeze LCD compatible ones will work. I'd probably buy sheepskin Dekoni ones if I wanted replacements.

Run your current ones into the ground first unless you reckon its affecting comfort and/or sound quality. Because those suckers aren't cheap.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Budget - $150 +/-
Source - Windows 10
Isolation Requirements - None
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balance
Past Headphones - n/a
Preferred Music - death metal

Wrench: Headset. The mic can be lovely, literally don't care about the quality of the mic.

I know that no isolation requirement and yet the inability to use a laptop's built-in mic doesn't make any sense. Don't look into it.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Anyone have experience with planars? Got the 58x and I'm loving them but km super curious about how the 4XX on mass drop sound in comparison. Would the built in amp in a mobo be enough to drive them if they're already fine with the 58x. Mine is reportedly capable of up to 60p ohms

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ChazTurbo posted:

Anyone have experience with planars? Got the 58x and I'm loving them but km super curious about how the 4XX on mass drop sound in comparison. Would the built in amp in a mobo be enough to drive them if they're already fine with the 58x. Mine is reportedly capable of up to 60p ohms

If you value clarity and minimal distortion they're fantastic, the trade-offs tend to be less pronounced bass (which is still clearer imo and leads to a shorter, punchier sound) and really, really bad sound leakage. Everything sounds a lot crisper and nuanced, of course, in the high end there are dynamic driver headphones like the Focal Clears that easily rival planars but I prefer planars in the more lower-midrange just because of the clarity. The bass thing is entirely more preference on thudding versus punching. There's also something more immersive and enveloping about them, could just be how enormous the drivers tend to be but planars are amazing even with videogames and movies due to that quality.

Straight up do not buy planars if sound leaking and outside noise is a huge consideration for you. My LCD-Xs practically sound like small tinny speakers to other people in the room even with moderate volume.

Your PC will be able to drive them fine, there's just the typical noise considerations but if that doesn't bother you at the moment then it shouldn't be an issue.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

Budget - $150 +/-
Source - Windows 10
Past Headphones - n/a

Wrench: Headset. The mic can be lovely, literally don't care about the quality of the mic.

I know that no isolation requirement and yet the inability to use a laptop's built-in mic doesn't make any sense. Don't look into it.

sennheiser jubilee 58x + modmic if you want something netural, pushes the budget but it's worth it. and the modmic will pay for itself as you start messing around and getting other headphones

or for an all in one solution/headset? Sennheiser Game One or Sennheiser PC37X

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Potato Salad posted:

Budget - $150 +/-
Source - Windows 10
Past Headphones - n/a

If all you want are "is comfy, has mic and doesn't suck to listen to music with" then might I suggest going proper budget and getting a Plantronics RIG 500 Pro or a Steelseries Arctis 3?

You'll have change leftover.

Plus you'll never need to buy spare / replacement parts because its going to be more efficient to simply buy another headset.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

JebanyPedal posted:

If you value clarity and minimal distortion they're fantastic, the trade-offs tend to be less pronounced bass (which is still clearer imo and leads to a shorter, punchier sound) and really, really bad sound leakage. Everything sounds a lot crisper and nuanced, of course, in the high end there are dynamic driver headphones like the Focal Clears that easily rival planars but I prefer planars in the more lower-midrange just because of the clarity. The bass thing is entirely more preference on thudding versus punching. There's also something more immersive and enveloping about them, could just be how enormous the drivers tend to be but planars are amazing even with videogames and movies due to that quality.

Straight up do not buy planars if sound leaking and outside noise is a huge consideration for you. My LCD-Xs practically sound like small tinny speakers to other people in the room even with moderate volume.

Your PC will be able to drive them fine, there's just the typical noise considerations but if that doesn't bother you at the moment then it shouldn't be an issue.

They sound great and will only be for home use so it'll be fine for my use case. I'll consider getting them in the near future if they're still in production by then. Appreciate the advice

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I would like to get a shorter, possibly braided cable for my Sennheiser HD 58X's. What kind of cable should I be looking for?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

kri kri posted:

I would like to get a shorter, possibly braided cable for my Sennheiser HD 58X's. What kind of cable should I be looking for?

Anything that works with the 580, 58x or 600 series. You can get the connectors on ebay or amazon and make your own if you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Welp, today I went HAM and got the following:

Hifiman HE4XX
JDS Atom
Khalsa Tone Board (pre order)

I'm assuming I don't need a case for the tone board and can just hide it away?