Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Saxons or Franks can be a fun base game Attila starter faction. Gun it for Great Britain and establish your frozen ice kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Frog Act posted:

I reinstalled Attila now that I have a computer that can run it and the top subscribed mod is just a thing that says “UPDATE ATTILA TOTAL WAR” lol

Anyway I’ve never actually done a real Attila campaign because I found the systems frustrating and the turn times were nuts on my computer, but I wanna try it again. Should I start with the grand campaign before doing age of Charlemagne and is there a good starting faction? I have the complete edition with all the DLC

Charlesmagne is pratically a different game on top of Attila. Factions have very similar rosters (special units excepted) to each other, building trees and the economy are completely different to the base game's and naturally it has a different map. It is very much worth a playthrough or two, as it is the closest to Medieval 3 we'll get for many years.

How experienced are you with Total Wars? If you're a veteran of the series, there's nothing quite like a legit Western Roman Empire playthrough, so it's worth doing that challenge at least once. If you're new, Sassanids start big but are the easiest faction by far. It's interesting to do a horde -> settle -> become empire game at least once because it's a pretty novel cycle on its own and has a different set of challenges to the normal TW campaign.

Saxons or Franks are good options if you want something close to a more traditional Total War campaign (start small, build empire), as are all the Empires of Sand DLC factions - honestly my favorite ones in the game and the best faction DLC by far for a historical game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Be sure you get Mazz's upkeep mod if you want to play any of Attila's campaigns. Double Garrisons and Pikes in Hand are also good mods if you want more challenge in taking settlements or if you want to make pikemen actually useful.

For an idea of what you're getting into with Western Roman Empire, watch these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnf45OeeHQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UIteDF4eII

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Playing Shogun 2 (FOTS) again - is there some way to keep agents attached to an army when unloading from a navy or moving from a settlement?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

ZearothK posted:

Charlesmagne is pratically a different game on top of Attila. Factions have very similar rosters (special units excepted) to each other, building trees and the economy are completely different to the base game's and naturally it has a different map. It is very much worth a playthrough or two, as it is the closest to Medieval 3 we'll get for many years.

How experienced are you with Total Wars? If you're a veteran of the series, there's nothing quite like a legit Western Roman Empire playthrough, so it's worth doing that challenge at least once. If you're new, Sassanids start big but are the easiest faction by far. It's interesting to do a horde -> settle -> become empire game at least once because it's a pretty novel cycle on its own and has a different set of challenges to the normal TW campaign.

Saxons or Franks are good options if you want something close to a more traditional Total War campaign (start small, build empire), as are all the Empires of Sand DLC factions - honestly my favorite ones in the game and the best faction DLC by far for a historical game.

In addition to this: if you want to do a Horde Settling game, I think the Ostrogoths are a good option. They can make some limited use of Roman buildings and units, which makes them ideal for settling in the Italian peninsula, and setting up the Ostrogothic Kingdom in place of the WRE is fun.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Hm, word, I was interested in Charlemagne because (like you said) it feels like it might be the closest thing possible to a Medieval 3, since M2 was easily my favorite Total War game and I put almost a thousand hours into it doing every faction's campaign, all the expansions, etc etc. I've also played all the other games except for the early sprite-based ones, so I'm pretty familiar with the series, but I'll admit I've had a really hard time with Attila thus far (especially after a ton of Warhammer 2) because there are so many systems in play. The only time I've ever gotten like ~100 turns in was in an Aksum campaign ages ago, actually, because they were pretty fun and unique.

For some reason the Asturias campaign looks like it would be really fun but the start is absolutely abysmal, next to desolate areas, separated by mountains, and all your cities are at between -6 and -20 public order a turn. it seems insane that they are labeled "easy". There's like twelve new systems stacked on top of the old ones that really aren't that intuitive, I just got kinda frustrated trying to figure out how to even do anything with such a poor starting position.

Maybe I'll try the Saxons in Europe in the regular Grand Campaign to get a feel for the systems. I've said it before, Attila should be my favorite Total War game but every time I try it I end up borderline mad about some inscrutable thing that tanks my public order / fertility / cleanliness / whatever and quit it, so I suppose I should start small.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Uproot from the continent and go for Britain if you're playing Saxons. From there annihilate the Celtic Trina and if you want a Europe foothold go for Spain

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Frog Act posted:

Hm, word, I was interested in Charlemagne because (like you said) it feels like it might be the closest thing possible to a Medieval 3, since M2 was easily my favorite Total War game and I put almost a thousand hours into it doing every faction's campaign, all the expansions, etc etc. I've also played all the other games except for the early sprite-based ones, so I'm pretty familiar with the series, but I'll admit I've had a really hard time with Attila thus far (especially after a ton of Warhammer 2) because there are so many systems in play. The only time I've ever gotten like ~100 turns in was in an Aksum campaign ages ago, actually, because they were pretty fun and unique.

For some reason the Asturias campaign looks like it would be really fun but the start is absolutely abysmal, next to desolate areas, separated by mountains, and all your cities are at between -6 and -20 public order a turn. it seems insane that they are labeled "easy". There's like twelve new systems stacked on top of the old ones that really aren't that intuitive, I just got kinda frustrated trying to figure out how to even do anything with such a poor starting position.

Maybe I'll try the Saxons in Europe in the regular Grand Campaign to get a feel for the systems. I've said it before, Attila should be my favorite Total War game but every time I try it I end up borderline mad about some inscrutable thing that tanks my public order / fertility / cleanliness / whatever and quit it, so I suppose I should start small.

Aksum is my favorite Attila faction, so I am right there with you.

Juggling public order (and slaughtering rebels) is pretty much half of Attila's campaign layer. Like you said, there are a lot of systems at play, some of which you don't have direct control - like migration from nearby razed/sacked provinces. Dealing with it varies per faction depending on character skills and buildings available, but you will generally want to increase the Authority stat of governors and deploy Authority agents, it might even be a good thing to deploy governors to poorer but more unstable regions - though that will involve some juggling with your income.

If you want to ignore the decaying climate you can just go with goats forever with most factions, it is not the most optimal in regions that are particularly fertile at the start, but it means you won't have to readjust your buildings when fertility drops. It is absolutely a good idea to build tall due to corruption and food and then either cultivate allies or create a razed quarantine zone around your territories (as an aside, this is why Asturias is a good faction in AoC, they're the only ones with the ability to raze settlements), liberate factions to serve as bulwarks and trade partners and expand slowly. Razing has the added bonus of giving you immigrants, which reduce PO but also make your regions richer.

As Saxons you can just go for the British Isles and make that your fortress against the coming Huns, so that gives you a pretty good base of operations for the midgame once consolidated and developed.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
With hordes in Atilla, are you supposed to go roam around germany for a bit before taking on the WRE or just go straight for france/spain/africa/balkans/wherever your tribe is supposed to end up?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

underage at the vape shop posted:

With hordes in Atilla, are you supposed to go roam around germany for a bit before taking on the WRE or just go straight for france/spain/africa/balkans/wherever your tribe is supposed to end up?

The peripheries of the WRE are ripe for sacking, but obviously they're still able to retaliate at first. The usual phases are sack weak WRE cities, keeping moving so their armies can't group up on you, then as the Collapse begins (usually the first climate change event), begin burning your way to where you want to settle.

I know DEI is back in its Crappy cycle, any other big overhauls for it or Attila goons recommend right now?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Beamed posted:

The peripheries of the WRE are ripe for sacking, but obviously they're still able to retaliate at first. The usual phases are sack weak WRE cities, keeping moving so their armies can't group up on you, then as the Collapse begins (usually the first climate change event), begin burning your way to where you want to settle.

I know DEI is back in its Crappy cycle, any other big overhauls for it or Attila goons recommend right now?

i thought DEI's newest patch was pretty good, big improvement on when I last played it.

Anyway I'll throw out a rec for Thrones. The game is good now! Really! The latest patch actually fixed it! I don't think I'd gone past turn 50 before but since Steel/Statecraft came out I've finished like three campaigns, it's crazy

e; to elaborate a tiny bit, this is now the first TW I've played since Shogun where the campaign layer actually feels fairly well balanced and not a huge hassle keeping me from battles

Frog Act posted:

there's like one random guy on the workshop that made a bunch of (very vanilla friendly) small mods for Charlemagne that I'd recommend subscribing to. In terms of starts, I had a similar experience with Asturias when I first started. Mercia is a solid intro instead imo

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 13, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

When I last played throb it fell victim to the total war thing where none of the enemy factions posed a threat past midgame (tbf I was Alfred with a stupidly powerful start). Has that gotten better?

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Loving the poo poo out of total warhammer, what's a good total war game that could run on a lovely laptop with integrated graphics where the ui won't make me want to die?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

napoleon?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

ArgaWarga posted:

Loving the poo poo out of total warhammer, what's a good total war game that could run on a lovely laptop with integrated graphics where the ui won't make me want to die?

How old is the laptop? Can you run shogun 2?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Doing a Nagaoka Republic run.

Trying to get my ducks in a row but I have a couple vassals behind my front and I want them gone. I used a revolt to flip Odawara, but Fukushima and another one in the north, forget it. Rebel units suck late game and the provinces are so large in the north they just gently caress around and never commit. I'm tempted to just break the treaties and have at it since everyone is gonna hate me anyway at RD, but I wasted an entire in game year and let people tech up, so I might just restart.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Doing a Nagaoka Republic run.

Trying to get my ducks in a row but I have a couple vassals behind my front and I want them gone. I used a revolt to flip Odawara, but Fukushima and another one in the north, forget it. Rebel units suck late game and the provinces are so large in the north they just gently caress around and never commit. I'm tempted to just break the treaties and have at it since everyone is gonna hate me anyway at RD, but I wasted an entire in game year and let people tech up, so I might just restart.

the tech up just means you'll have a better chance of interesting battles instead of just watching your republican guard gun down and infinite number of lovely leve armies. compose your death poem and just go for it.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

No hesitation
artillery is for scrubs
charge into ambush

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

underage at the vape shop posted:

How old is the laptop? Can you run shogun 2?

It's only a couple of years old with a 6000 series Intel i5, but the cpu has been pretty touchy lately. The shogun 2 demo ran pretty well on low graphics settings, so that's probably the frontrunner.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I’ve dusted off Empire and had another go. It’s still not good, but it’s so frustratingly close to being really special.

A few things I liked:

Multiple theatres
- Industrialisation theme (as you industrialise, you make more $$ but the lower classes get unhappier)
- Ship progression arms race (once you have ships of the line, everyone else needs them too to stay competitive)
- Standard bearers and drummers are a good idea but underused
- Marathas rampaging through the West Indies was great

Ultimately though it fails at a couple of things that would have made it great
- could have modeled the early modern period transition from pike and shot through early bayonets to full on Napoleonic warfare.
- needed a lot more variety between factions
- volleys and artillery lacked punch. I really wanted to see close range volleys be a lot more devastating
- I can never go back to having millions of 1 unit armies running all over the place
- holy poo poo the turn times

Napoleon does a lot of this better, but it doesn’t have the same scope unfortunately. Wish we would see an Empire 3

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Edit: Nevermind!

Azran fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 16, 2019

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

StashAugustine posted:

When I last played throb it fell victim to the total war thing where none of the enemy factions posed a threat past midgame (tbf I was Alfred with a stupidly powerful start). Has that gotten better?

It's a lot better if you don't start as West Seaxe, who are ludicrously powerful from turn 1. My experience as other factions is that you'll generally end up with large opposing powers elsewhere in the map once you've secured a decent sized kingdom for yourself.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They really seem to be going all out in redoing the total war formula with Three Kingdoms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfzwCV40Vsg

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am hype in Chinese.

[edit]Also there's an AMA from the 3K teams going on.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 17, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've successfully conquered Britain as the Saxons and I'm looking for new targets. I wish Attila had the orc raid camp feature from Warhammer. Replenishment in enemy territory is so handy.

I'm also trying to figure out a good army comp. Killing horde factions with lovely light infantry is easy enough, but Hearth Guard against comitatenses is an even fight only if you're in shield wall. I ditched the archers because Nordic bows are trash. Should I get some Chosen Swordsmen or Spear Masters? They're good but they're expensive and I don't know if I shouldn't just rush for Gesitha swordsmen instead.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I like Three Kingdom's tech tree but I hope they have a toggable list version so you don't have to hover over the icons.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

I started as gwynedd and it has been painfully easy, even fighting the saxons + a nordic faction with the east midlands at the same time. It's not great at actually providing campaign challenge, but I guess that's a common TW issue.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

KoldPT posted:

I started as gwynedd and it has been painfully easy, even fighting the saxons + a nordic faction with the east midlands at the same time. It's not great at actually providing campaign challenge, but I guess that's a common TW issue.

I started as gywnedd too and while I haven't been having problems yet, Red England crushed Blue England and pretty much surrounds me with vassals. I don't know how I'm going to expand into that so I'm just kinda mashing end turn and managing my nation which is fortunately more fun than its ever been

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Holy poo poo that spy system for 3k looks loving incredible.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
On the one hand I'm excited that Three Kingdoms is changing the formula up but I'm kind of wary that it will have insanely long load times on my system. Warhammer 2 is already testing my patience and I don't want to buy Three Kingdoms if it is bigger and thus takes longer to load battles.

ZearothK posted:

I am hype in Chinese.

三國讓我十分興高采烈!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Don Gato posted:

On the one hand I'm excited that Three Kingdoms is changing the formula up but I'm kind of wary that it will have insanely long load times on my system. Warhammer 2 is already testing my patience and I don't want to buy Three Kingdoms if it is bigger and thus takes longer to load battles.

三國讓我十分興高采烈!

The campaign being more complex makes me worried the ai turn times will be even longer

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Unzip and Attack posted:

Holy poo poo that spy system for 3k looks loving incredible.

I'm cautiously optimistic. If it works, it'll be a great addition. But it's also the first time they've done something like this and there could be a lot of teething issues.

It depends how "aggressive" the AI is in its attempts to sabotage you. If every AI you meet tries to undermine you, I can see it getting tiresome real fast.

If it's something akin to Attila's influence system, where every 15-20 turns or so you have some noble attempting to subvert you, then that's reasonable enough and should be alright.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 19, 2019

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I imagine it will be based on other leaders' traits. You can bet your yellow rubber duck Cao Cao will try his best to flip and use any dude he can. I just hope there's still enough battles going.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

alex314 posted:

I imagine it will be based on other leaders' traits. You can bet your yellow rubber duck Cao Cao will try his best to flip and use any dude he can. I just hope there's still enough battles going.

I was wondering when we'd see a reference to that old web comic.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is thrones actually good now?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Ravenfood posted:

Is thrones actually good now?

It's undoubtedly improved on its mechanics and added a lot of user-friendliness and cool new systems but if you didn't like the base game at all to start with, or have a particular interest in the setting, I doubt you'll get much out of it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

It's undoubtedly improved on its mechanics and added a lot of user-friendliness and cool new systems but if you didn't like the base game at all to start with, or have a particular interest in the setting, I doubt you'll get much out of it.

I loved M1, M1 VI, and both warhammers. Shogun2 never grabbed me for some reason.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Being a bit burned out on Warhammer has lead back into the warm embrace of Rome 2 again. I bought the Desert culture pack and have been mucking around with Kush - but I think playing Warhammer for so long has warped how I'm supposed to play a normal Total War game.

I had a stack of spears, with Kushite archers and some cavalry and expected to melt them before they even made contact. Then I remembered I'm not playing Wood Elfs and I got dunked on. :negative:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Ravenfood posted:

I loved M1, M1 VI, and both warhammers. Shogun2 never grabbed me for some reason.

I think it has most in common with Shogun 2 (by way of Viking Invasion's setting, obviously). I honestly don't know if you'd like it or not; I'd like to think so but can't guarantee it so, maybe wait for a sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Sasgrillo posted:

Being a bit burned out on Warhammer has lead back into the warm embrace of Rome 2 again. I bought the Desert culture pack and have been mucking around with Kush - but I think playing Warhammer for so long has warped how I'm supposed to play a normal Total War game.

I had a stack of spears, with Kushite archers and some cavalry and expected to melt them before they even made contact. Then I remembered I'm not playing Wood Elfs and I got dunked on. :negative:

it would have been a good army comp if you were playing as Greeks, but for kush you need swordsmen to kill things.