Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Funzo posted:

I wonder if there's any extra affects for if you overlap a gas cloud at the end of your movement. The other obstacles get you the extra green, but bad things happen when you hit them.

People are guessing they'll either give you a strain or an ion token, but so far it's entirely speculation. I feel like they need to do something or swarms get to play with only 3 obstacles on the board and that's probably not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Says you get Stain tokens which lower your green dice until you're shot or go a blue move. Seems pretty nasty to me.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I've overlapped several gas clouds at X Wing events before 🤮

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

canyoneer posted:

I've overlapped several gas clouds at X Wing events before 🤮

What an incredible smell you've discovered!

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Gas clouds cause me strain...to my marriage!

Amirite, fellas?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

enigmahfc posted:

Gas clouds cause me strain...to my marriage!

Amirite, fellas?

My wife died during the Galactic Civil War :smith:

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My wife died during the Galactic Civil War :smith:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So change of subject: i think predictive shot is a better upgrade on Vader then supernatural reflexes. It is so much cheaper and you can put afterburners on. If you cannot get a shot on a target locked target you still have a real good chance of putting damage on target.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Im gonna strongly disagree with that one. You dont really wanna build your 82+ point ace around reliably getting off bullseye shots. Vader is a point sink whos not good at tokening up for defense once you blow his force wad. Your plan may be to try and chip away with 1 or so dmg with predictive shot but if your opponent sees a Reflexesless Vader theyre going to focus him immediately because he cant run away.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yup. Banking on bullseyes with just two boosts (on limited speeds) and no evade action is really questionable - Soontir has the same problem, his preferred method of operation as a high init ace is to just clip shots with the outside edges of his full arc, so that he has the option of bugging out continuously. 2e Soontir just dies. Vader trying to get bullseye would be the same.

Predictive Shot looks like a great shout for generics though. With 4 Inquisitors, you can get predictive, homing, and FCS which is a pretty solid set of threat options.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So me and friend went to a tournament this weekend. My friend took Poe and 3 A-Wings. Someone else there saw his ships sitting there and says, "Oh, you're flying Weird Poe™?"
My friend asked, "What's Weird Poe™?"
The guy replied, "You know, Kevin [SomeLastName]'s version of Poe."
Me and friend both replied with , "Who's Kevin [SomeLastName]?"
The guy just had the light in his eyes quickly die and went, "oh..." and turned away to another group standing nearby. He never explained what Weird Poe™ was and I still do not know.
I assume this Kevin guy is a podcaster, I guess.
We weren't even being a dicks, we just had no idea who that guy was. The fact that he never expanded on what a Weird Poe™ was makes it even stranger.

Like, I get that people like the podcasts and feels it makes them part of a wider community, but somebody not knowing who a random guy is who plays with plastic spaceships and talks about it online does not make them the weirdo.

Being wrist deep in podcast 'culture' is a disease of the mind.

I'm sorry, I mean REKT! on the mind.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

enigmahfc posted:

Nah, the only weird part was not explaining, and that has nothing to do with a podcast and everything to with a lack of social awareness

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

enigmahfc posted:

So me and friend went to a tournament this weekend. My friend took Poe and 3 A-Wings. Someone else there saw his ships sitting there and says, "Oh, you're flying Weird Poe™?"
My friend asked, "What's Weird Poe™?"
The guy replied, "You know, Kevin [SomeLastName]'s version of Poe."
Me and friend both replied with , "Who's Kevin [SomeLastName]?"
The guy just had the light in his eyes quickly die and went, "oh..." and turned away to another group standing nearby. He never explained what Weird Poe™ was and I still do not know.
I assume this Kevin guy is a podcaster, I guess.
We weren't even being a dicks, we just had no idea who that guy was. The fact that he never expanded on what a Weird Poe™ was makes it even stranger.

Like, I get that people like the podcasts and feels it makes them part of a wider community, but somebody not knowing who a random guy is who plays with plastic spaceships and talks about it online does not make them the weirdo.

I'm sorry, I mean REKT! on the mind.

My favorite part of the tournament.
LOL @ your TM of Weird Poe.

I am not afraid to admit that I slum in the reddit forums for ideas for lists as I lack creativity. Poe and 3 wings was mentioned there as being a fun thing. Had I known it was a podcast thing, I may have thought twice.

I have tried to listen to some X-Wing podcasts and none of the them stick. None have any personality. The bigger drag is the "celebrity" worship that tends to creep in around these communities. I am probably old manning it when I get frustrated about it. A couple of weeks ago a fairly young player wanted to beat a local podcaster that was playing so he could get mentioned on said podcast. There was no irony in his excitement.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Kevin Leintz from Minnesota was on the Mynock podcast a couple weeks ago and talked up BB8 HLC Trickshot Poe over R4 Torps Poe. He pairs Poe with 3 As, maybe generics, maybe one or two named.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

BB8 Poe is just inferior. It costs more for less benefit. You're almost unblockable twice a game, but a well-flown R4 Poe, much like any well-flown ace, should plan ahead so that's not an option on the opponent's table. And with Black One, R4 Poe can just GTFO if things look bad and re-set.

I'd kill for Black One on Soontir.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

ConfusedUs posted:

Nah, the only weird part was not explaining, and that has nothing to do with a podcast and everything to with a lack of social awareness

I should have mentioned that this guy is sort of a douche who loves to name drop people form podcasts and acts a little superior because he is in the 'cool kid crowd' because he knows them.

and to be fair, I know lot more cool people who play X-Wing then not cool people (I am probably very uncool); I just find it weird to have podcast worship be a thing, at least in my area.

ConfusedUs posted:

BB8 Poe is just inferior. It costs more for less benefit. You're almost unblockable twice a game, but a well-flown R4 Poe, much like any well-flown ace, should plan ahead so that's not an option on the opponent's table. And with Black One, R4 Poe can just GTFO if things look bad and re-set.

I think BB-8 on Poe is awesome, but you kind of need Primed Thrusters to make it really work; otherwise you hobble yourself by not being able to use Poe's great pilot ability.

canyonero posted:

Kevin Leintz from Minnesota was on the Mynock podcast a couple weeks ago and talked up BB8 HLC Trickshot Poe over R4 Torps Poe. He pairs Poe with 3 As, maybe generics, maybe one or two named.

The 30 seconds it took you to type that was far more effort than the guy who blurted out "WEIRD POE" to us. It's pretty much what I expected the guy to do (you know, explain it since we were unaware), but because we were not 'in the podcast know', he deemed it no worth his time. I 100% believe that was how the guy saw it, because I've known the guy for years.

I went 4-0 and took the top spot out of 20 people with my "Chris Benoit's Delight' list (no I will not explain what that is, you should just know!)

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 21, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

enigmahfc posted:

I think BB-8 on Poe is awesome, but you kind of need Primed Thrusters to make it really work; otherwise you hobble yourself by not being able to use Poe's great pilot ability.

Yes, you need Primed Thrusters. So you're paying like 13-15 points (I don't have the costs memorized) for two uses of something that is only situationally better than R4, which costs...2 points.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
True, but it's still fun as balls.

and balls are fun.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

enigmahfc posted:

The 30 seconds it took you to type that was far more effort than the guy who blurted out "WEIRD POE" to us. It's pretty much what I expected the guy to do (you know, explain it since we were unaware), but because we were not 'in the podcast know', he deemed it no worth his time. I 100% believe that was how the guy saw it, because I've known the guy for years.

Then that guy is the problem. Not podcasts as a whole.

I don't listen to them because I don't like audio-only formats, but I think it's just as weird to say "podcast culture is a disease of the mind" as it is to be deep into podcast culture.

The real problem is that guy's lack of social awareness. If it weren't podcasts, it'd just be something else.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Yes, you need Primed Thrusters. So you're paying like 13-15 points (I don't have the costs memorized) for two uses of something that is only situationally better than R4, which costs...2 points.

I will keep trying Poe. I am not good enough to fly him yet.

It never fails when I am using BB8, I wish I had R4. When I am using R4, I wish I had BB8. I just need to get better with him.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Every time I take a Focus, I wish I had the Target Lock, every time i take a Target lock, I wish I had a Focus.

RNGs are assholes sometimes.

ConfusedUs posted:

it's just as weird to say "podcast culture is a disease of the mind" as it is to be deep into podcast culture.

It was a joke for comedic effect. I never said i was a good joke for comedic effect.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 21, 2019

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Then that guy is the problem. Not podcasts as a whole.

I don't listen to them because I don't like audio-only formats, but I think it's just as weird to say "podcast culture is a disease of the mind" as it is to be deep into podcast culture.

The real problem is that guy's lack of social awareness. If it weren't podcasts, it'd just be something else.

My biggest issue is that if I bring a list, and I get a podcaster/podcaster worshiper that looks at it and scoffs and says something like "So and so ran such and such and its MOV was better...." I immediately don't want to listen to anything that person says.

I have had 2 instances over they past two tournaments with the same person where I played him and he told me I was building my list wrong and then in the next tournament he asked what I was running he scoffed at my Poe and said "no,no,no..." His templates said "REKT" and "Dilly Dilly" on them.....

Most of the people in our local X-wing group are cool. I do find it funny if you watch people before a tournament, you have the same 3 or 4 players that only talk amongst themselves, won't show their lists until the tournament has begun, and talk mainly about what podcaster did what.

lazerus06 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 21, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

enigmahfc posted:

Quoted for truth.

lazerus06 posted:

My biggest issue is that if I bring a list, and I get a podcaster/podcaster worshiper that looks at it and scoffs and says something like "So and so ran such and such and its MOV was better...." I immediately don't want to listen to anything that person says.

I have had 2 instances over they past two tournaments with the same person where I played him and he told me I was building my list wrong and then in the next tournament he asked what I was running he scoffed at my Poe and said "no,no,no..." His templates said "REKT" and "Dilly Dilly" on them.....

That guy is a dick, and he'd be a dick with or without the podcast.

The podcast is simply the method through which he shows his dickishness.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

enigmahfc posted:

Every time I take a Focus, I wish I had the Target Lock, every time i take a Target lock, I wish I had a Focus.

It was a joke for comedic effect. I never said i was a good joke for comedic effect.

Next time state you are "practicing the rule of 69.." and then I'll yell "NICE!"

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Quoted for truth.

That guy is a dick, and he'd be a dick with or without the podcast.

This is probably true.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I think the idea behind BB8 Poe is that you aren't stressing yourself, so Primed Thrusters becomes less useful. I think the argument against R4 is that it only adds 2 additional blue maneuvers to the T70. If you ever listen to Kevin on a podcast, he certainly thinks he's correct about whatever his opinion happens to be. I agree with the assessment that a cheaper (and probably easier to fly) R4 Poe is optimal versus BB8.

Whatever the case, I don't really want to fly Poe right now. The i6 bidding war is getting crazy, and I would rather try to fit more efficient ships into a list. Last week I flew this and went 3-0. You have the opportunity for 3 fully modified shots, and a really good squirrly Ace in Lulo doing his thing. Intentionally failing a boost with Temmin (formerly Snap) is a really dumb gimmick, but it's easy to pull off if you need to. And the T70's config makes it pretty easy to pull off blocks. Also don't be like me and forget that T70s have 3 shields, not 2 like the T65s.

Jessika Pava (52)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Temmin Wexley (54)
Composure (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Lieutenant Bastian (48)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

L’ulo L’ampar (38)

Total: 194

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

ConfusedUs posted:

But enough about Louis CK

canyonero posted:

The i6 bidding war is getting crazy,

There was a guy at the last event whose list was like 185 points. He lost a lot of his matches, but still that's a gently caress of a bid.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 21, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mega bids consistently get shut down at big tournaments by efficiency lists that fill their 200 points.

I've been flying the four Resistance i5s (Nien, Ello, Lulo, Tallie, all with Heroic, S-Foils for the X-Wings, and Pattern for Nien), and I had a 7 point bid. Then I realized that I didn't care if I went first or last. I was never choosing what was best for me, but what was worse for my opponent. I tested a few games where I deliberately went first against other i5s, and I could still trade effectively.

So I filled in those seven points (Adv Optics for Lulo, Homing Missile for Tallie) and it's doing even better than it was before.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
My only concern with the bid right now is Lulo because it's nice to know when it's safe to stress him against other i5's. But it's a fair point, and Lulo's probably going to draw fire regardless. And if your opponent wants to spend a couple rounds going after a 40ish point target, that's probably good for you anyway.

ConfusedUs, have you bothered to keep track of how often Heroic is triggering? I know what the math says, but I still struggle with including it or not.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I love the IDEA of Heroic, but yeah, it barely ever triggers for me. And when it does my reroll sucks. I think its actually better on T-70's because it's insurance on blanking out on defense, which then has a chance to block at least 1 hit. Heroic for A-Wings is more or less there for the attack, but let's face it, rolling 2 blanks into a hit and something else isn't going to swing a match (most of the time).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyonero posted:

My only concern with the bid right now is Lulo because it's nice to know when it's safe to stress him against other i5's. But it's a fair point, and Lulo's probably going to draw fire regardless. And if your opponent wants to spend a couple rounds going after a 40ish point target, that's probably good for you anyway.

ConfusedUs, have you bothered to keep track of how often Heroic is triggering? I know what the math says, but I still struggle with including it or not.

Lol if they want to shoot Lulo, fine? He's cheap as poo poo and my big guns are safe. He's 1.0 Biggs if they do that. When I get to choose, I want my opponent to shoot

Tallie, then Lulo, then Ello, then Nien

But honestly I DGAF if they go in reverse order. It's like 1% worse if Nien dies first. The trick is maintaining a ship number advantage until whatever I have left moves last.

Average, Heroic gets me about 1 extra positive result per game per copy. That's well worth 1 point. The ship that dies first may never trigger it, and the one that lives longest may trigger it a couple of times.

It's best when you're rolling two dice, so it's a defensive upgrade on the T70s, an offensive upgrade on Tallie, and can be either for Lulo depending on if he's stressed or not. I'd never take it on a ship that rolls 3 dice or more natively every time. There aren't any in Resistance, but if a TIE Interceptor could take it, I wouldn't. I'd put it on a Striker, if I could.

Also, consider the Heroic/Finn combo on a Falcon.

Roll 1 green die. Get a blank. Add Finn blank. Meet conditions for Heroic. Re-roll both blanks. Then if you have Rose, spend one for a lock.

It's really good.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I'm going to be judging at the Phoenix System Open. I expect 90% of it to be checking range and arcs.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That is indeed the bulk of judging

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

...and avoiding as many of the before mentioned gas clouds as possible.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Something I've seen judges at big events do (and you may not be the right person, but you might mention it to whomever you're working under) is to make a post or two on Reddit and the FFG forums and ask what the community considers to be the big unanswered rules questions.

Then take that and figure out what the event's answers to those are, and post those prior to the event.

That way no one is surprised, and all of you judges will be making the same calls.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Mega bids consistently get shut down at big tournaments by efficiency lists that fill their 200 points.

I've been flying the four Resistance i5s (Nien, Ello, Lulo, Tallie, all with Heroic, S-Foils for the X-Wings, and Pattern for Nien), and I had a 7 point bid. Then I realized that I didn't care if I went first or last. I was never choosing what was best for me, but what was worse for my opponent. I tested a few games where I deliberately went first against other i5s, and I could still trade effectively.

So I filled in those seven points (Adv Optics for Lulo, Homing Missile for Tallie) and it's doing even better than it was before.

My hats off to you for making that list work. I tried for like 2-3 weeks and got shat on hard by a variety of stuff. Are any of your games on youtube? whats your setup like?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

banned from Starbucks posted:

My hats off to you for making that list work. I tried for like 2-3 weeks and got shat on hard by a variety of stuff. Are any of your games on youtube? whats your setup like?

No, I haven't recorded any of my games. Local group IS talking about streaming our league nights though, so maybe soon?

As for the list itself, I'm not 100% sure it's tournament-level. It's a lot of fun, but I have a feeling it would get totally destroyed by supernatural Kylo. No one locally is flying him, but he's really hard to pin down.

It's pretty drat good against triple upsilons though. I can sacrifice one of my ships to get two or three of the others behind the ups.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Something I've seen judges at big events do (and you may not be the right person, but you might mention it to whomever you're working under) is to make a post or two on Reddit and the FFG forums and ask what the community considers to be the big unanswered rules questions.

Then take that and figure out what the event's answers to those are, and post those prior to the event.

That way no one is surprised, and all of you judges will be making the same calls.

Yeah, we've been doing that on the facebook group. The stickiest rules question is Quickdraw with Electronic Baffles. If QD burns a shield to attack in the end phase, is that before or after everyone's tokens are removed? (we say before, though tbh there's not a lot of rules support for ANY position on that)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, we've been doing that on the facebook group. The stickiest rules question is Quickdraw with Electronic Baffles. If QD burns a shield to attack in the end phase, is that before or after everyone's tokens are removed? (we say before, though tbh there's not a lot of rules support for ANY position on that)

There's also potential End Phase baffles shenanigans with Tavson in the Upsilon.

My reading, RAW, is that all "during the X phase" effects happen simultaneously, and thus first player does all theirs in any order, then the other player does theirs in any order. This applies to QD and Tavson's interactions with baffles and is in line with other rules on the subject of "what happens when things happen simultaneously."

There's apparently some reading of the rules--which I am not pretending to have adequately researched or fully understand, mind you--that says all game state effects (like removing tokens) happen first. Or maybe happen last. But whatever they are, they happen at a specific time in relation to the other effects. This would mean that removing tokens comes first (or last).

I feel this is probably one of those extremely nebulous interpretations that will ultimately cause more and more problems as the game matures, but maybe it's actually simple. I sure as hell don't remember anything explicitly about this, though. It's probably something inferred or something that uses a specific example and tries to apply it more broadly than its original intention.

Maybe that can point you the right way? I hear there's a thread on the FFG forums, but I don't care to go there willingly to search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah, the Tavson one is fun because some people argue that this means you can clear your tokens, activate the ability, and then take a focus or reinforce or whatever and keep that token for the next turn.
I don't really buy the argument that removing tokens is a "game effect" as the other game effects given in examples are not really the same kind of thing. It feels more like a thing done collectively and simultaneously, like setting dials. Since there's not a lot of rules support to make a case, we are left with feelings.

Truth is that it's a weird enough edge case that it will probably not come up and impact anyone's match. But the ruling is out there so if someone's planning on bringing a triple action baffles Tavson they should maybe bring something else.