Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hit me with ya fav butter chicken recipe pls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like Hari Ghotra's recipes generally and have made her butter chicken a whole lot. It's good.

https://www.harighotra.co.uk/murgh-makhani-recipe

I don't adjust anything except replacing the water with chicken stock. Chilies to your preference of course, I usually make this with one ghost chili and it is :discourse:

Do not repeat my mistake of "well, one ghost chili is good, so let's try two".

TUNAFISHING 87
Dec 20, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Is this intestines?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BskNf9YA9ox/

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

kebap I'd wager given the hashtags

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Leal posted:

I've recently started making meals with large mushroom caps, mainly burgers. Is there an easier way to drain out water from them that isn't me pulverizing the cap? I've pressed it between paper towels but as I get closer to the center, my buns get soggy.

You could try baking them in the oven on some baking sheet, low and slow, before assembling them in your burger. I'd guess about 120 degrees Celsius for 45 minutes to an hour.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

For this cod curry, just out of curiosity, why does the recipe call for either tomatoes or yoghurt, but not both? I made it with tomatoes (it tasted great), but am curious to see what it tastes like with yoghurt too. In other recipes, it's called for adding yoghurt at the end to smooth it out. Is there any specific reason why in this case it seems to heavily suggest you only do one or the other?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I couldn't think of any reason. I wouldn't boil and cook a yogurt sauce for 15 minutes, though. I'm not sure if there's a specific reason for that, it just instinctively seems like it's not gonna do the yogurt any favours. I'm sure adding a tablespoon of yogurt at the end, as you say, would work out great in this recipe. (I'd also not add the coriander leaves until the very end, while we're at it.)

That looks to be a mid-80s to early 90s cookbook, is that about right? In my experience they frequently have somewhat baffling takes on ethnic cuisine.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Looks like a sausage stuffed in a lamb casing, but it's super long. possibly a really understuffed hog casing.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

I couldn't think of any reason. I wouldn't boil and cook a yogurt sauce for 15 minutes, though. I'm not sure if there's a specific reason for that, it just instinctively seems like it's not gonna do the yogurt any favours. I'm sure adding a tablespoon of yogurt at the end, as you say, would work out great in this recipe. (I'd also not add the coriander leaves until the very end, while we're at it.)

That looks to be a mid-80s to early 90s cookbook, is that about right? In my experience they frequently have somewhat baffling takes on ethnic cuisine.

Okay cool, and yeah it's from around that time period. I'll add a spoonful of yoghurt at the end of cooking next time, I think it'd take an edge off of the slight spiciness and make the sauce really nice.

I just bought a pestle and mortar, do I need to grind it in or something? Because I just gave it a few test runs and the amount of stone dust coming off of it is crazy. I like my ground spices not to taste of granite.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I like Hari Ghotra's recipes generally and have made her butter chicken a whole lot. It's good.

https://www.harighotra.co.uk/murgh-makhani-recipe

I don't adjust anything except replacing the water with chicken stock. Chilies to your preference of course, I usually make this with one ghost chili and it is :discourse:

Do not repeat my mistake of "well, one ghost chili is good, so let's try two".

:tipshat: perfect! thanks!

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I want to make a roasted tomato salsa. Like restaurant style/even textured, not chunky.

I take the whole canned tomatoes, put them on a sheet pan under the broiler, but I end up just driving off the tomato water and not really getting any roasting going on. What technique should I be using instead? Maybe strain out water, compress out more water, broil, combine roasted solids back with reserved tomato liquid? The liquid is usually tasty in it's own right. Something altogether different? I don't own a blowtorch.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Qubee posted:

I just bought a pestle and mortar, do I need to grind it in or something? Because I just gave it a few test runs and the amount of stone dust coming off of it is crazy. I like my ground spices not to taste of granite.
Yep, it's called seasoning the mortar and there's directions all over the internet if you google that, but it boils down to grinding raw rice in it until it comes out as white as you put it in.

Comb Your Beard posted:

I want to make a roasted tomato salsa. Like restaurant style/even textured, not chunky.
I'd just use fresh tomatoes and probably even scoop out the insides from those as preparation. Canned strike me as far too wet to get a good roast on even if you do remove as much liquid as you can before; if you're absolutely stuck with canned for some reason, the way you suggest would be worth a try. Use the liquid for something else though, seems like it'd just thin out your hard earned roasting flavour.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
This is probably the wrong time of year to be attempting that IMO (unless you're Australian I guess?). Canned tomatoes are definitely too wet to roast, and any fresh tomatoes in January are gonna similarly have too much moisture, I'd think. Probably wait til Juneish for the Roma tomatoes to be firm and flavorful; that'd give you what you're looking for.

That being said you could probably switch gears a bit and try doing it with tomatillos. Dunno if those are any good right now but it's worth considering.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
All of the grocery stores near me sell pre-roasted canned tomatoes. If you can't get those, then roast your chiles and onions. You'll still get PLENTY of smokey, roasted flavor.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Comb Your Beard posted:

I take the whole canned tomatoes, put them on a sheet pan under the broiler, but I end up just driving off the tomato water and not really getting any roasting going on. What technique should I be using instead? Maybe strain out water, compress out more water, broil, combine roasted solids back with reserved tomato liquid? The liquid is usually tasty in it's own right. Something altogether different? I don't own a blowtorch.

To make this salsa, you take your whole vegetables - tomatoes, chiles, onions, etc. and put them whole on your grill or on a comal or griddle (peel the onion first, but that's all the prep you need). Grill/griddle them on all sides just until they're starting to char and blacken, the remove. At this point remove the seeds from the tomatoes and chiles, and if anything got too black rub that part of the skin off. Toss everything into a blender with some cilantro, lime juice, and salt, blitz it, and presto you have delicious salsa ranchera.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm sad. I made a very good lasagne from drat near scratch. It was fuckin huge. Took hours. We ate about 1/3 of it covered the pan in foil and put it in the fridge lime they do on the Sopranos. When I go to pull it out of the fridge two days later there's a layer of foil on the drat lasagna!! How can I stop this from happening in the future? Normally I Tupperware food but there was too much.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Gay Horney posted:

I'm sad. I made a very good lasagne from drat near scratch. It was fuckin huge. Took hours. We ate about 1/3 of it covered the pan in foil and put it in the fridge lime they do on the Sopranos. When I go to pull it out of the fridge two days later there's a layer of foil on the drat lasagna!! How can I stop this from happening in the future? Normally I Tupperware food but there was too much.

saran wrap

foil seals really poorly in the fridge, its basically for oven or grill use and never for storage.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Local produce spot I'm a big fan of (for being incredibly well priced and heavily focused on seasonality and local whenever possible) just announced getting in the first greenhouse grown Fresh from NJ tomatoes of the season.

Now I've several questions. Do greenhouse tomatoes even have seasons? If so why is that season mid-winter? Is this a joke about it being after New year's that's sailing over my head?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Gay Horney posted:

As in the foil decomposed onto the lasagna, or just attached to the cheese/sauce on top? For the former, use a baking dish that's not metal; for the latter just make sure the foil doesn't make contact during cooling.

For metal pans, the foil, pan, and food form a kind of battery (galvanic corrosion). Current travels through the food from the steel to the foil and the foil ends up decomposing in the reaction. You'd have to use plastic instead of foil, or a glass dish.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Eeyo posted:

For metal pans, the foil, pan, and food form a kind of battery (galvanic corrosion). Current travels through the food from the steel to the foil and the foil ends up decomposing in the reaction. You'd have to use plastic instead of foil, or a glass dish.

I usually just weld my lasagna, gives it a nice crisp.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The problem is the acidity of the tomatoes. In contact, the foil gets rekt https://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/index.ssf/2010/04/take_a_shine_to_aluminum_foil.html

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sextro posted:

Local produce spot I'm a big fan of (for being incredibly well priced and heavily focused on seasonality and local whenever possible) just announced getting in the first greenhouse grown Fresh from NJ tomatoes of the season.

Now I've several questions. Do greenhouse tomatoes even have seasons? If so why is that season mid-winter? Is this a joke about it being after New year's that's sailing over my head?

In principle with greenhouses you pay a lot in electricity/gas to heat your farm land (and provide supplemental lighting if necessary) in exchange for the ability to produce tomatoes pretty much whenever. At least a decade ago (according to this report I stumbled across: http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/datastore/234-447.pdf 132 citations :wow:), greenhouses allowed North American growers to harvest tomatoes pretty much whenever. In more northern areas like Canada, greenhouses were typically used outside of winter. So it could be that the "season" is just whenever the producer that your grocer sources from harvests tomatoes. They presumably started the seeds months ago and are coming around for harvesting now.

I'm not sure how you go about picking a "season". The economics here are pretty complicated so you probably just look at your electricity & labor costs and the typical market conditions and try to pick the best spot.

That said, I think the general consensus is that if you want tomatoes for a sauce or stew then just get canned (unless it's field tomato season and you have a good source for quality tomatoes).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hi general questions thread. I just got a Zojirushi rice cooker and I'm super excited to start using it, not only to cook rice but to cook meals in it as well. I've been doing some google searching and found a few good looking recipes, are there any must-have rice cooker resources (books, websites) I should check out as well?

TUNAFISHING 87
Dec 20, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

kebap I'd wager given the hashtags

Doom Rooster posted:

Looks like a sausage stuffed in a lamb casing, but it's super long. possibly a really understuffed hog casing.

Thanks.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

We are experimenting with Swiss roll for my son’s birthday, and we are having difficulty getting it exactly right. Is there a special sponge recipe that is more elastic than standard? How do we put the buttercream on if we’re rolling it hot? Any tips would be appreciated!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

We are experimenting with Swiss roll for my son’s birthday, and we are having difficulty getting it exactly right. Is there a special sponge recipe that is more elastic than standard? How do we put the buttercream on if we’re rolling it hot? Any tips would be appreciated!

I tried to do one the other day and it broke all to hell. Apparently, rolling it with a towel while warm, then letting it cool, then unrolling and frosting is the way to go. I tried to do that and mine sucked.

The one thing that seemed really important, based on where it broke: Don't overbake it one bit. The ends and edges were the worst. I would be inclined to bake a lower temp for longer to get even cooking and less drying at the edges/ends.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Eeyo posted:

In principle with greenhouses you pay a lot in electricity/gas to heat your farm land (and provide supplemental lighting if necessary) in exchange for the ability to produce tomatoes pretty much whenever. At least a decade ago (according to this report I stumbled across: http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/datastore/234-447.pdf 132 citations :wow:), greenhouses allowed North American growers to harvest tomatoes pretty much whenever. In more northern areas like Canada, greenhouses were typically used outside of winter. So it could be that the "season" is just whenever the producer that your grocer sources from harvests tomatoes. They presumably started the seeds months ago and are coming around for harvesting now.

I'm not sure how you go about picking a "season". The economics here are pretty complicated so you probably just look at your electricity & labor costs and the typical market conditions and try to pick the best spot.

That said, I think the general consensus is that if you want tomatoes for a sauce or stew then just get canned (unless it's field tomato season and you have a good source for quality tomatoes).

Oh totally agreed. I prefer canned products even in season for some applications. I just got excited at the prospect of making a nice BLT.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Scientastic posted:

Chef John did a Buche de Noel video recently where he went over a few tips. They're a pain in the rear end but the big thing is to keep it moist, and roll while it's hot, cool, then unroll, frost, and reroll. My first one was perfect and easy and my second cracked all to hell despite no differences in my method. They're just temperamental.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This is what I’ve used before
https://www.marthastewart.com/335600/julia-and-jacquess-chocolate-roulade

It’s flourless and stays fairly flexible but still will crack-just cover the outside with more buttercream and nobody will ever know.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It needs to be strong and substantial enough to support a chameleon made of rice crispies (my son is weirdly obsessed with chameleons), so as delicious as the roulade looks, I suspect it will be structurally unable to cope...

We have tried the baking, rolling while hot, unrolling once cold, and we’re still getting a lot of breakage. Today’s was a bit overbaked, so maybe that’s the next thing to try...

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Put toothpicks through it to support the Rice Krispie structure?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s pretty stout-not like a soufflé or something. I think it would hold up fine, especially if you filled it with buttercream instead of whipped cream and put buttercream on the outside. I used to use it as the center of my yule log and then do buttercream and meringue mushrooms and stuff on the outside.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
If I brine skinless chicken breasts, can I then store them in the refrigerator, or will they lose the effect of the brining over time?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Can’t you store them submerged in the brine?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

El_Elegante posted:

Can’t you store them submerged in the brine?

I heard over-brining makes the chicken mushy. I brine chicken breasts for about half an hour, and that's plenty.

e:
Ah, very good, thank you.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 17, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I would be surprised if it made a difference either way unless you’re brining in papain. The chicken breasts aren’t going to lose much moisture in a closed container even if you’ve poured the brine out.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've got a hell of a hankering for Persian cuisine, so much so that I'd fly to Tehran tomorrow if I could afford it. My old city had an incredible restaurant that was cheap as chips but was such high quality. I'd go there weekly, sometimes just by myself, and get the barg kebab, ghormeh sabzi, gheimeh or joojeh. I've tried Persian restaurants in my new city and they're shite - they're really expensive, their meat is awful and tough, and the flavours are bland.

Does anyone have some badass Persian recipes I can make at home? I'd love to have a go at making barg kebab or gheimeh, but a lot of recipes online are very spartan and lack instructions.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 18, 2019

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Can anyone recommend a decent cleaver for under $30? I've been buying meat in bulk and butchering it and it's taking a toll on my knives.

I don't have a budget for anything top shelf but something serviceable that lasts a while and is easy to sharpen would be great.

I really don't need something extravagant. Just reliable. I feel like I should be able to buy a meat cleaver at that price point that isn't garbage.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Tom Gorman posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent cleaver for under $30? I've been buying meat in bulk and butchering it and it's taking a toll on my knives.

I don't have a budget for anything top shelf but something serviceable that lasts a while and is easy to sharpen would be great.

I really don't need something extravagant. Just reliable. I feel like I should be able to buy a meat cleaver at that price point that isn't garbage.

i got this cheap winco cleaver about five years ago.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HESNR8/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't want to have to handle a cleaver all precious so I went super cheap and I'm happy with it. I hack thru chicken skeletons and wash it in the dishwasher and it's still put together, hasn't rusted, and has held enough of an edge to still be able to chop veggies in a pinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I got a Sous vide for Xmas and have been generally pleased with the results. I still wonder about food safety though. Isn’t it a little risky to put a piece of meat through the danger zone for so long? I did a tri tip and it just smelled... weird? coming out of the bag before I seared it.