Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_6hbM5NNoM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Malibu Ken is really fantastic.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Ambivalent as hell about Malibu Ken, need to listen to it more.

Shovelbearer posted:

And as a bonus he made the theme song to Silicon Valley.

This explains why sometimes the album just feels like an extended Silicon Valley theme.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

New future is good and has me hyped for the album

New Kanye song is really bad and I’m a Kanye Stan, though that’s more on Melly than Kanye

Edit: oh poo poo the whole albums out?

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 18, 2019

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
https://youtu.be/n8IGNSNKUnQ
City morgue will add 10lbs to your max bench

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Malibu Ken not really doing much for me. Was thinking that I miss Blockhead production, then someone reminded me https://blockheadnyc.bandcamp.com/album/free-sweatpants came out today.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
The James Blake album is weird. The beats and singing don't suit the features IMO. Metro song was disappointing too. I'm not sure he has the right sound to mix with trap artists? Seems a bit too ambient, with no banger beats the verses fall flat. His song with Chance was better than anything on this album.

Also, old news, but anyone find it ironic/weird that every Ameer verse from brockhampton talks about how he robbed people, regrets doing horrible poo poo, and did bad poo poo to women, but once it comes out as true they kick him out of the band? It's like the one semi gangsta guy was booted for having authentic lyrics. Almost like if they disowned Kevin Abstract for being outed as gay. I guess it goes with the convo earlier about misogyny being a worse crime than murder or pushing heroin. Even in Milk he raps about robbing people and regretting it and now another Brockhampton guy bitching that he robbed a friend of a friend. Well yeah he already said he did that poo poo.

I got tickets to Astroworld in Toronto. I hope it's a good show. I'm not that big on Travis Scott but the features on his album were great. Hoping for Drake, Gunna or at least Lil Baby to make an appearance. What are the odds?

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 19, 2019

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I don't seem to recall Ameer ever rapping about abusing women. And in the band's statement about it, they seemed to focus on the fact that he lied to them about it, which I think is where the difference lies versus your example of them kicking Kevin Abstract out for being gay -- and by the way, that was a pretty hosed up analogy! One of those things is a choice, a choice made to abuse and degrade other people, and the other is just the happenstance of who you want to have sex with. Weird equivalency for you to make, my man.

Also, as someone who religiously blasted the Aesop Rock/Tobacco collab track "Dirt" from back in like 2009 while smoking weed with my friends in a lovely old Dodge Grand Caravan cruising the suburbs, the Malibu Ken album fucken rips.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ornithology posted:

anyone find it ironic/weird that every Ameer verse from brockhampton talks about how he robbed people, regrets doing horrible poo poo, and did bad poo poo to women, but once it comes out as true they kick him out of the band?

No?

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
some random new drill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ_vT185gVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4m-Gohv4hU

succ fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 19, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Killer Mike has a show on Netflix about black issues in the US and it’s very informative and entertaining, stuff like him trying to buy from only black businesses for 3 days or trying to help the Crips market themselves and change their image in the same way as a white group like Hell’s Angels have. It’ll probably be alansmithee’s new favourite show too

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
edit: snip nevermind

Thom and the Heads fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 19, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ornithology posted:

Also, old news, but anyone find it ironic/weird that every Ameer verse from brockhampton talks about how he robbed people, regrets doing horrible poo poo, and did bad poo poo to women, but once it comes out as true they kick him out of the band? It's like the one semi gangsta guy was booted for having authentic lyrics. Almost like if they disowned Kevin Abstract for being outed as gay. I guess it goes with the convo earlier about misogyny being a worse crime than murder or pushing heroin. Even in Milk he raps about robbing people and regretting it and now another Brockhampton guy bitching that he robbed a friend of a friend. Well yeah he already said he did that poo poo.

Doing lovely things is considered bad but making up stories about doing lovely things is good? Being a rapist is bad but being gay is okay? drat dude you’re really nailing them on this hypocrisy.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Anyone else remember ameer having the same boring flow on every song

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Anyone else remember ameer having the same boring flow on every song

No because I can't believe anyone takes the time to differentiate the 15 guys in Brockhampton. Do people just sit stare at Genius while listening to them until they have memorized the verses?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There's the one that sounds more like a 12 year old boy than the others but that's the only one I can distinguish

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I imagine a brockhampton concert is like if all the sad crying Bois at a Frank ocean concert and all the newly converted Christian Bois from a chance the rapper gospel revival had a bunch of gay babies together and those gay babies showed up and started crying together in unison.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I imagine a brockhampton concert is like if all the sad crying Bois at a Frank ocean concert and all the newly converted Christian Bois from a chance the rapper gospel revival had a bunch of gay babies together and those gay babies showed up and started crying together in unison.

There’s one guy in here that’s been to a bunch because his kids are into it and from what I understand it’s mostly 15 year olds

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
brockhampton is good you old fuckin grouches

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like Brockhampton but I can’t possibly imagine being able to tell any of them apart

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

thrilla in vanilla posted:

hey bro, hang out for a while.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I’m a slight brockhampton fan, I think they’re all different but repetitive in their personas. Kevin abstract raps about being gay, Matt champion is white and raps about his mom being a drunk, there’s that other white guy that does the voices and is loving terrible, ameer rapped about how he used to sell drugs and was corny for it, the wacky guy from Ghana, and the other chubby guy that can rap pretty well but I don’t remember his name. The rest of those dudes do production or web design or something.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I would probably cry at a frank ocean concert. If yung lean came out on self control it’d be over.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like Brockhampton a lot but I think I would feel ancient if I went to one of their shows

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Robert Analog posted:

I would probably cry at a frank ocean concert. If yung lean came out on self control it’d be over.

There’s no shame in this

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

temple posted:

hey bro, hang out for a while.

Sure man what do you want to talk about

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Robert Analog posted:

Facts

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Escobarbarian posted:

Killer Mike has a show on Netflix about black issues in the US and it’s very informative and entertaining, stuff like him trying to buy from only black businesses for 3 days or trying to help the Crips market themselves and change their image in the same way as a white group like Hell’s Angels have. It’ll probably be alansmithee’s new favourite show too

Ehh poo poo like that often just depresses me now. Like I call people out for enjoying black suffering while trumpeting their "progressiveness" but I've long since given up any hope for meaningful progress for black folks in America. I mean you get one black president who was basically respectability politics incarnate and was about as radical as Uncle Ben but that was still more than enough to piss white folks off to the extent they elect a racist idiot. Basically black folks are largely doomed in the US and the only hope is that China gets it's poo poo together enough to break up white hegemony while the US ruins itself electing reactionary idiots and robber barons.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Also brockhampton is "ok" but they're basically off-brand diet Oddfuture. Like even the lesser known OF dudes are way more talented than anyone in brockhampton but they got their own thing going so good for them.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
Chinese people are among the least racist people to exist.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

I like Brockhampton a lot but I think I would feel ancient if I went to one of their shows

Hey man we are all old

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

ive been an sa forum subscriber longer than the average borckhampton fan has been alive

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Big lmao at the idea that the Chinese of all people are not incredibly racist against black people

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

That's not it at all. It's more about revenge at this point. Black people are doomed regardless, may as well see white people go down too.

On top of which, most of the racist ideas China has about black people comes from...white people.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Let's not go down this road in the rap thread.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ

Henchman of Santa posted:

Let's not go down this road in the rap thread.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Let's turn our wokeness down and turn up some Mo Bamba!

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrLTBd9L5ac

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
Just wanted to mention one of Boston's finest, Jaysaun, dropped a new album called "Kill Ya Boss" recently. Dope features (Edo. G, Slaine, Reef the Lost Cauze, Reks, Craig G,+), beats, and rhymes. If you still listen to boom-bap type poo poo this album is a great spin. The title track and "Part of the Game" go so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyfgdGBo3wg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
2019 is the year of Bladee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsGDmEPP-Bw