Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Mercs actually have pretty crappy stats if you take a closer look at them. Positive side is though that they are all melee so they can sacrifice their flesh for you. While tech hunters are better, some tend to be crossbow users so not much use for taking hits for you.

Speaking of mercs and regarding the slave start, or any start that's close to World's End in the north really, you can get great punching bags if you steal or do whatever to get 8-16k cats early and hire multiple tech hunters or mercs in WE. They're generally well available there. Then head south and murder couple groups of Holy Nation patrols with High Paladins leading. Bandage the HP's and they're absolutely great training bags up to 50ish+ skills. You can just carry them around until you got cages or whatever. Stay the hell away from inquisitor patrols though, they'll roll your poo poo good and don't give any fucks at all about your mercs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Increases visibility at night, so yes :v:

Benefit of a lantern is to use it to shoot at things with the light penalty. My crossbowmen have whatever the gently caress I randomly hand them, usually some katana.

I mention Jittes for Crossbowmen specifically because it's a sidearm with a whopping +8 to melee defense, which is great for ranged guys, since their main priority if an enemy closes to melee is to stay alive until an ally can get them off them.

Edit: Combine that with a Drifter's Leather Jacket, and you have +13 melee defense from 2 items alone.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 18, 2019

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

I mention Jittes for Crossbowmen specifically because it's a sidearm with a whopping +8 to melee defense, which is great for ranged guys, since their main priority if an enemy closes to melee is to stay alive until an ally can get them off them.

I leave em with +attack weapons because their melee skills are usually lower and if some dude gets by my melee and I don't immediately pull him off the crossbows I want them to put the fucker into the dirt with a couple quick swings.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
I finally feel like I am starting to get the hang of this game. Settled down in a cross roads north west of Squin, mining copper for money and started trying to grow some cactus to turn into rum. For food I have mainly attacked herds of goats, or lucked out on Garru aggroing bandits to feed my people. The grind is real on base building, my squad is about 12, and I feel like I need that many again just to run the drat place. Every other day or so I turn off jobs on everyone and go on a run between Squin, The Hub, and The Stack to buy building materials and get into fights, hiring everyone I can afford along the way.

To get jumpstarted early I saved up enough money to buy the ruined long house at the western edge of Squin. After doing some basic research and building an ore storage bin, I set two scrubs to mining the coper node just out of town (I think it is in the canyon to the north). This node is close enough to the long house that as long as you use shift right click to assign the scrubs to the node they will automatically haul the ore back to town for you 5 units at a time. So I left two mining scrubs and one other recruit to alternate researching, and selling goods. Dont forget to build a food barrel in the longhouse, or they will starve. Then with the rest of my posse I ran around fighting and recruiting.

Whenever I leave my settlement for fight training and recruiting I start mining from Squin again so that I have a steady income.

Couple of things I noticed, the guys with the mining jobs seemed like they would only keep working if I kept them in the same squad as the guys running around town, I feel like the game would un-load their area of the world if I ventured too far away, does anyone else have experience with this? I really want to have separate squads to make it easier to select all on my combat party.

Also, any tips on where to find recruits with farming skills? Or do I just need to keep that job assigned to a single? greenlander until they get good.

I finally feel like I am able to challenge hungry bandits as long as I have them matched in numbers 1 on 1, which is odd, since most of my team are 10+ attack 10+ defense which is more than the hungry bandits. Do I need to micro manage more? I was wondering if maybe assigning each of my guys a different target my reduce the number of 2 on 1s.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

VendoViper posted:

I finally feel like I am able to challenge hungry bandits as long as I have them matched in numbers 1 on 1, which is odd, since most of my team are 10+ attack 10+ defense which is more than the hungry bandits. Do I need to micro manage more? I was wondering if maybe assigning each of my guys a different target my reduce the number of 2 on 1s.
Actually, yes, that's exactly it. This is a common mistake people make, because in most strategy games focus fire is key to winning by quickly taking out single units and therefore reducing the enemy forces' damage potential. In Kenshi, there are combat slots - each unit can engage and be engaged by exactly one unit. Commanding all your characters to attack the same guy does not kill him faster because only one can attack, but all of them can be attacked by the bandits around them. I'm not sure they will even block, because due to your attack order, they're technically in combat with someone else already.

The better idea is to just right click on the ground and letting them pick their own targets, it makes them far more effective. Also, whichever one of your guys is the most heavily armored and best at defense, you should give both the Taunt and the Defend (guard? parry? one of these) orders. This will make him the center of the enemy's attentions and have the effect that while he's unable to attack, his defense will be jacked to the point of being basically invincible.

It's a great fallback tactic to pick a sacrificial unit, give him these orders, and then just make the rest of the squad run while they hold the enemies back.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

VendoViper posted:

Couple of things I noticed, the guys with the mining jobs seemed like they would only keep working if I kept them in the same squad as the guys running around town, I feel like the game would un-load their area of the world if I ventured too far away, does anyone else have experience with this? I really want to have separate squads to make it easier to select all on my combat party.

Also, any tips on where to find recruits with farming skills? Or do I just need to keep that job assigned to a single? greenlander until they get good.

1. There's an option in the graphics settings to keep the world chunks loaded around every squad no matter where they are

2. There's a free human recruit named Miu who has pretty good farming and labouring skills. She's usually located in Shark, the town in the middle of the swamp

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Actually, yes, that's exactly it. This is a common mistake people make, because in most strategy games focus fire is key to winning by quickly taking out single units and therefore reducing the enemy forces' damage potential. In Kenshi, there are combat slots - each unit can engage and be engaged by exactly one unit. Commanding all your characters to attack the same guy does not kill him faster because only one can attack, but all of them can be attacked by the bandits around them. I'm not sure they will even block, because due to your attack order, they're technically in combat with someone else already.

The better idea is to just right click on the ground and letting them pick their own targets, it makes them far more effective. Also, whichever one of your guys is the most heavily armored and best at defense, you should give both the Taunt and the Defend (guard? parry? one of these) orders. This will make him the center of the enemy's attentions and have the effect that while he's unable to attack, his defense will be jacked to the point of being basically invincible.

It's a great fallback tactic to pick a sacrificial unit, give him these orders, and then just make the rest of the squad run while they hold the enemies back.

Bandbox your whole crew, hold right click on an enemy while paused and select attack all and they'll split up.

Still recommend getting a mod for 2x or 3x attack slots though.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 18, 2019

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Thanks for the tips! I have been using block, but in a reactive way when I see one character getting ganged up on, I guess I never really internalized that there was a taunt button and have never pressed it! Any tips on loadouts? Since I have so much leather I started making everyone a rattan hat and traders leather, just because that is where my crafting situation is at. I was hoping to happen across a second scorchlander to start exploring making weapons in the near future. Right now everyone who came with a weapon is still using it, and everyone else has the best quality saber (horse chopper) I have looted thusfar. I finally took a closer look at the random dust bandit armor I had equipped on my guys and was surprised at just how pronounced the quality difference was!

I saw some passing comment on some steam guide that I should focus on light class armor for my guys until their strength gets up, but I don't know if that is actually accurate. I have been steadily buying every thiefs backpack the adventure trader in Squin stocks so I don't feel like I am having an encumbrance problem, and I predict metal and fabric are much easier to have reliably supplies of than leather, since there don't seem to be tools to raise domestic animals for slaughter.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Bandbox your hole crew, hold right click on an enemy while paused and select attack all and they'll split up.

I think I might still be early enough that not all bands of hungry and dust bandits are aggro to me from the start, so I think my problem was not having a "red cursor" so the option was just "Attack Unprovoked". I suppose at that stage I should attack unprovoked, pause and then attack all.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Bandbox your whole crew, hold right click on an enemy while paused and select attack all and they'll split up.

Still recommend getting a mod for 2x or 3x attack slots though.
That's also a possible way to do it, but I only ever use it for attacking without provocation. Your guys will split up and pick targets on hostile squads just fine on their own.

And remember, when it comes to combat mods, extra slots means the enemies can gang up on you more easily as well. It hurts you as much as its helps you. Fair warning.

quote:

Thanks for the tips! I have been using block, but in a reactive way when I see one character getting ganged up on, I guess I never really internalized that there was a taunt button and have never pressed it! Any tips on loadouts?
Both block and taunt are super useful and learning to use them correctly is basically the point where you really start to master the system.

When it comes to armor, you always have basically two choices: heavy stuff that reduces your stealth and athletics, and light stuff that doesn't. Which of these you pick is really up to you, because at the Masterwork level, nearly everything is hella good. I use a mod that lets me recruit prisoners, so I always carry some blunt weapons because they are less likely to kill or sever limbs. One thing I would recommend is to get the Belt Mod. It actually lets you use the Belt slot by implementing a bunch of useful and craftable stuff. Also, always carry around a dust mask for every one of your guys. Just switch it in as a replacement for your standard helmet whenever the weather gets bad enough to warrant it.

Otherwise, experiment! There is plenty of stuff to find in this game, including unique and special armors and weapons. It's a big world to explore. Treat it as a Skyrim style RPG with squad mechanics and unrestricted construction capability, because that's essentially what it is.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

It just looks better. 1 attack slot just seems goofy and I like the chaotic battles of everyone swinging all over and limbs flying around.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Coolness is a perfectly good reason, it's just worth warning people about that side effect, because it really makes things a lot more lethal, both to the enemy as well as to your own guys. Suddenly having a bunch of corpses and cripples because a troupe of Skin Spiders decided to all wail on the same guys is not a fun experience.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Crumblejohn has some... interesting dialogue.

Any NPCs that are particularly interesting to bring along for dialogue? There's Hobbs, Ruka and Beep for the obvious ones, but I've found characters like Crumblejohn for his weird stories, and Pia for the peppiness to be nice to have along as well. Griffin is pretty funny to have along if you have skeletons in your party as well, and Agnu triggers a whole lot of unique dialogue for Beep if you have them both.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Any of the hazard areas, or places with large and obvious precursor structures. People freak the hell out if you bring them to Obedience. The Black Desert, the Deadlands, Fog Islands, etc. are all good places for banter, especially if you bring a mix of races and pregenerated PCs.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Agnu loosing his poo poo as soon as beep realized there was a woman in the party is probably just a coincidence but it was pretty funny.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can recommend The Unwanted Zone as a nice place to settle down. Tons of different bandit factions + the UC nearby, so you get a lot of difference in the raids, and it's close to Black Scratch, which has everything you ever need.

Edit: Pay no mind to the hordes of Beak Things, Bonewolves or the occasional acid rain.

Edit2: Oh god, the hordes of crabs

Edit3: Huh, apparently saving slaves from the Reavers can have them randomly join you, and with drat solid stats too. Like 20-30 in everything.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 19, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Holy loving :lol: so I never really hosed around with Martial Arts, but I have my main recon crew of ninja hivers. I got attacked by some Red Sabres and one of my dudes that was lagging behind the pack came running up and missile kicked one, which apparently...sheared off both their legs and one arm of the offending Red Sabre. That hiver has been eating his Wheaties.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Unarmed is hilarious once your stats get decent because your guys will just explode the limbs off of literally everything

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vasudus posted:

Holy loving :lol: so I never really hosed around with Martial Arts, but I have my main recon crew of ninja hivers. I got attacked by some Red Sabres and one of my dudes that was lagging behind the pack came running up and missile kicked one, which apparently...sheared off both their legs and one arm of the offending Red Sabre. That hiver has been eating his Wheaties.

People really aren't kidding about Martial Arts being awesome- you basically go from Fallout to Fist of the North Star.

EDIT: Fights against high MA dudes is basically this. Also, since MA trains your Toughness as well, if anyone who isn't themselves an MA master fights you it basically turns into this.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 19, 2019

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
The game is so much fun but the bugginess is making it hard to stick with. I'm now at the point where I'm consistently getting CTD often enough to have it stop being fun. This is across two different computers so it's an issue with the save I guess.

Does importing keep everything that's in storage? I'm not super keen otherwise.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Majestic posted:

The game is so much fun but the bugginess is making it hard to stick with. I'm now at the point where I'm consistently getting CTD often enough to have it stop being fun. This is across two different computers so it's an issue with the save I guess.

Importing is functionally the built-in solution to what you're describing: both of my games I'd get to a point where I would load, unpause and the game would inexplicably crash less than a minute later, importing the saves fixed it. Importing won't gently caress up your storage unless you deliberately choose to not import buildings, but if you are hauling around unfriendly NPCs they will vanish back into the aether (though this can happen on a normal reload too :v:).

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Yeah I was loving the game and unfortunately had to quit after my 70 hour save would CTD on load.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I messed around with this over the last couple of days. It’s weirdly compelling.

Right now I have a crew of just under 20 wastelanders set up in a small base just SE of the Watchtower south of Squin (near to exile base, on border with the swamp).

I’m mining iron, and have enough water for 50% yield with Hemp and 100% with cactus. Most of my money comes from Bard, who is now a master weaponsmith, and a rando scorchlander who is now a master armorsmith. Between endless bandanas and ringed sabers, the outpost turns enough of a profit for me to keep it in imported food and materials and start building up cash for the next phase.

Problems: occasionally swamp raptors will wander in and my guards ignore them until they are already munching on the hemp crop. Is there a way to set my gate guards to attack them before that happens?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Yeah, in the AI settings tab you can set your dudes to "shoot first ask questions later" for just that reason

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I could have sworn that I saw a building option to make little platforms to stick out of your walls so you can build turrets further out. Yet in my second game I can't seem to find them. I don't think it was modded but what the gently caress.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Importing have fixed most technical issues I've run into so far, so I can recommend that, just bear in mind that it will remove stuff on the ground.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Problems: occasionally swamp raptors will wander in and my guards ignore them until they are already munching on the hemp crop. Is there a way to set my gate guards to attack them before that happens?

Mercenaries seem to smell what they're up to and attack them before they can eat the crops. One reason why I usually keep a company around.

Edit: I can't find Bo in Black Scratch, where is she supposed to hang out?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 20, 2019

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Vasudus posted:

I could have sworn that I saw a building option to make little platforms to stick out of your walls so you can build turrets further out. Yet in my second game I can't seem to find them. I don't think it was modded but what the gently caress.

You could be thinking of the level 4 walls that get sheltered turret platforms if you place the segment at max length?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Autism Sneaks posted:

You could be thinking of the level 4 walls that get sheltered turret platforms if you place the segment at max length?

No, these were unlocked at/around level 2 walls. It was a buildable platform that would go where the turret would normally go, and have a turret mounting point of its own. I don't think they were mod added, and if they were I don't know which mod did it and why it's not there in my second game despite no mod changes.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ah, a tower full of elder blood spiders, lovely.

Then again, the name probably should have given it away.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I wonder if that tower in the swamp is scripted or if it was a happy accident that a bunch of red sabres were pounding on the door just as i walked by and it finally broke and a horde of spiders spilled out into the screaming crowd. It was pretty great.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Majestic posted:

I would recommend checking whether you have enough free RAM and/or video memory, and if you don't, reduce chunk size or visibility. I have literally dozens of mods running, some of them made for pre-release game versions from months ago, and I haven't gotten a CTD in days and days of playing. I suspect it's more likely to hardware issue on your side, because this game is actually quite demanding under the hood, despite not looking like much. Most of them come from the engine running out of memory, not an actual issue with what the game is doing internally. Having checked the option for quick squad switching (the one that keeps all existing squads in memory at the same time) is a massive resource hog, for example..

quote:

Sadly no, because they're non-hostile by default, but you can always just build a little wall specifically to fence in your crops, you know. They're pretty cheap.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Uhm, my hired mercs are beating down my gate from the inside to get to the enemies outside...

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Vasudus posted:

No, these were unlocked at/around level 2 walls. It was a buildable platform that would go where the turret would normally go, and have a turret mounting point of its own. I don't think they were mod added, and if they were I don't know which mod did it and why it's not there in my second game despite no mod changes.

I found them. They're called Gun Planks and they're in the "More Buildings" mod. I have no idea what the prereqs were that I wouldn't have them unlocked at this point. They also don't work except on type 1/2 walls.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 20, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't think they're really necessary, in terms of firing arcs. I've seen my dudes fire from a crossbow on a wall and hit bandits in front of my gate at a hard ninety degree angle. Like, that bolt must have been scratching the wall the entire way. If the distance is such that they can hit it, they will.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, the Reavers are a bunch of assholes. I beat their lovely little raid back with the backup crew that was left in my base, so they grabbed whoever they had managed to knock out so far and ran straight into a group of Beak Things, resulting in everyone getting eaten.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm having issues with my harpoon turrets hitting Fogmen that are beating on my gates and I don't know if it's a firing arc issue or a LOS issue, because the Mk III gates have a little thing at the bottom that might be obscuring it. Or I suppose my angle could be slightly wrong on my wall construction.

Soon as I finish kitting out my security force I'm going to knock down the walls, expand a tiny bit, and replace them with Mk V walls/gates anyway so hopefully that'll be better. Also going to switch over to the revolver harpoon turrets :getin:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Broken Cog posted:

Uhm, my hired mercs are beating down my gate from the inside to get to the enemies outside...

Is it locked?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Vasudus posted:

I'm having issues with my harpoon turrets hitting Fogmen that are beating on my gates and I don't know if it's a firing arc issue or a LOS issue, because the Mk III gates have a little thing at the bottom that might be obscuring it. Or I suppose my angle could be slightly wrong on my wall construction.

Soon as I finish kitting out my security force I'm going to knock down the walls, expand a tiny bit, and replace them with Mk V walls/gates anyway so hopefully that'll be better. Also going to switch over to the revolver harpoon turrets :getin:
It's probably a bit of both, because I know I can fire through my gates even when they're a bit raised up on those little platforms they get. You just need to place your harpoons slightly different, I think.

Also, remember that there are buttons to raise and lower your constructions. It's a bit limited, but it's enough that you should be able to make your gates rest flush with the ground if you fiddle around with it a little.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Also, remember that there are buttons to raise and lower your constructions. It's a bit limited, but it's enough that you should be able to make your gates rest flush with the ground if you fiddle around with it a little.

do what now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Vasudus posted:

do what now
It's near the bottom of the option tab for controls. You also can tilt them to the side.