Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
surface go: why does this loving thing even exist? it's absolute poo poo, even by the already terrible standards of surface branded products. it loving sucks at everything and is somehow even further hamstung by a cpu that should never have been made. the battery life absolute garbage too.

it's a pug dog, a horrific wheezing abomination that should never have been made, a testament to man's hubris that belongs squarely in a dumpster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

my laptop rebooted after running updates and now refuses to detect any external monitors

I’m starting to feel sympathetic to the “no updates!!!” ever people with insecure computers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:rip: winpho, you died a thousand times but did you ever truly live?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

surface go: why does this loving thing even exist? it's absolute poo poo, even by the already terrible standards of surface branded products. it loving sucks at everything and is somehow even further hamstung by a cpu that should never have been made. the battery life absolute garbage too.

it's a pug dog, a horrific wheezing abomination that should never have been made, a testament to man's hubris that belongs squarely in a dumpster

the cpu existing is trivial: it is the same one as in the macbook air without turbo, so it is a binning product

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Only registered members can see post attachments!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the cpu existing is trivial: it is the same one as in the macbook air without turbo, so it is a binning product

"without turbo" is doing some heavy lifting here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it has one speed: very slow

as the review points out, it gets dunked on by atom branded SKUs

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

"without turbo" is doing some heavy lifting here

that's not really the point; it exists because intel had it to sell because some parts didn't turbo well and got binned as such. i am not defending its use in any particular way, but its existence is easy to explain unless one would expect intel to just throw stuff in the trash (which would be the yospos approach but also a touch wasteful on resources expended)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

that's not really the point; it exists because intel had it to sell because some parts didn't turbo well and got binned as such. i am not defending its use in any particular way, but its existence is easy to explain unless one would expect intel to just throw stuff in the trash (which would be the yospos approach but also a touch wasteful on resources expended)

instead you throw the whole device away in 2 years when an update renders it unusably slow

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fair enough, i suppose the question is then "why did microsoft build a surface product around this cpu?" as opposed to leaving it in the bargain bin for the no-name chinese oems making $10 tablets that don't work

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

those pieces of junk should either be embedded in a smart fridge or run through a shredder and MS are dumb fucks for putting them in anything

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

wait doesn't pentium gold insinuate there's a worse one

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

is it still atom -> Celeron -> pentium -> actual real people processors; or has that that changed?

poor pentium, worth something once

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

there's also Silver and Celery.

mystes
May 31, 2006

You also have to be careful about i5 and i7 processors with Ys mixed in with the numbers (like i7-7Y75) because those are rebranded core m processors.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

SRQ posted:

is it still atom -> Celeron -> pentium -> actual real people processors; or has that that changed?

here's a handy reference document to explain it all!

https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/processors/processor-numbers.html

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

SRQ posted:

Some Celerons and Pentium are Atom based, some are Core architecture. Your ranking is wildly out of date. Intel doesn't make it easy.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I really wish they would break up the Xeons in to lower-core, higher single thread performance and higher-core, lower single thread performance families because having to work out the proper processor selection with the 50+ xeon permutations available these days is a nightmare and Bigger Number == More Perf is absolutely not true in a bunch of cases

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I really wish they would break up the Xeons in to lower-core, higher single thread performance and higher-core, lower single thread performance families because having to work out the proper processor selection with the 50+ xeon permutations available these days is a nightmare and Bigger Number == More Perf is absolutely not true in a bunch of cases

they're gonna be releasing some of these i think.

**edit** they're these https://ark.intel.com/products/series/125035/Intel-Xeon-W-Processor

they're high power single thread fellas, instead of just bigger number = more cores

they just have bad thermals

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

mystes posted:

You also have to be careful about i5 and i7 processors with Ys mixed in with the numbers (like i7-7Y75) because those are rebranded core m processors.

and careful about mobile i5 and i7s where the difference is usually 200mhz

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

there was an article I read a long time ago that was posted after windows mobile started to die saying Microsoft will try again but their legacy of lovely smartphones is just gonna kill it again

wish I could find it, it was pretty spot on as far as tech predictions go

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

tbf, predicting a microsoft product won't resonate with people and fail is akin to guessing the sun might set tonight.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Lightbulb Out posted:

they're gonna be releasing some of these i think.

**edit** they're these https://ark.intel.com/products/series/125035/Intel-Xeon-W-Processor

they're high power single thread fellas, instead of just bigger number = more cores

they just have bad thermals

this is the stupid poo poo I was trying to sort through to find the appropriate processor for a new stack I'm deploying. you have loving nonsense jumps like going from the gold 6142 (16c) to the 6144 (8c) to the 6146 (12c) what in the everloving gently caress intel this ordering makes zero sense

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

this is the stupid poo poo I was trying to sort through to find the appropriate processor for a new stack I'm deploying. you have loving nonsense jumps like going from the gold 6142 (16c) to the 6144 (8c) to the 6146 (12c) what in the everloving gently caress intel this ordering makes zero sense

i get the pleasure of selling their garbage and we just stick to the embedded line for longer procurement cycles and better thermals(important for my industry)

its a mess, you're 100% correct

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also fun, the difference is sometimes cache and it doesn't map in any coherent way to the number of core/threads but if your application needs it specifically, hooo boy!

so yeah, you can have a cpu with lower clocks and fewer cores/no ht but it costs 50% more than the adjacent model in the matrix and it's because it has like 24mb cache instead of 16mb and is one model number off from the other one

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

fair enough, i suppose the question is then "why did microsoft build a surface product around this cpu?" as opposed to leaving it in the bargain bin for the no-name chinese oems making $10 tablets that don't work

it was going to be arm until intel paid a bunch of money to bundle it in

that’s why

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

also fun, the difference is sometimes cache and it doesn't map in any coherent way to the number of core/threads but if your application needs it specifically, hooo boy!

so yeah, you can have a cpu with lower clocks and fewer cores/no ht but it costs 50% more than the adjacent model in the matrix and it's because it has like 24mb cache instead of 16mb and is one model number off from the other one

imagine having such market control that you can literally just dump out a puzzle box of poo poo and force your customers to figure out what they need instead of having any sort of rational scaling.

by 2030 it's gonna be like buying fruit, every single processor will be sold as long as it physically boots and it's up to you to find the ones in the bin that work for you.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SRQ posted:

imagine having such market control that you can literally just dump out a puzzle box of poo poo and force your customers to figure out what they need instead of having any sort of rational scaling.

by 2030 it's gonna be like buying fruit, every single processor will be sold as long as it physically boots and it's up to you to find the ones in the bin that work for you.

BORN TO CRASH
INTEL IS A gently caress
Kill Em All 1974
I am core dump
410,757,864,530 DEAD PROCESSES

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the reason is because of all of the various licensing based on whatever oracle decides so you can buy an intel cpu that gets you max performance without having to renegotiate your license

so really it’s Larry’s fault

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009
Windows Phone

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009
gently caress I had a Windows Phone for several years and it was the worst experience of my life. How can phone be that bad? I don't even know how to explain it, it just sucked so much. gently caress MICROSOFT FOR WINDOWS PHONE THEY RUINED NOKIA

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

windows phone was so loving good

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

not good enough to live in an ecosystem also containing such jewels as: anroid

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

windows phone was so loving good

:finland:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

dont be mean to me posted:

BORN TO CRASH
INTEL IS A gently caress
Kill Em All 1974
I am core dump

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BORN TO CRASH
INTEL IS A gently caress
Kill Em All 1974
I am core dump

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

BORN TO CRASH
INTEL IS A gently caress
Kill Em All 1974
I am core dump

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BORN TO CRASH
INTEL IS A gently caress
Kill Em All 1974
I am core dump

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there should be an FDIV reference in there somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

fdiv is quaint considering the bugs we get these days.

"lol all your data isn't secure and also the patch for this nerfs performance by up to 20%"