Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

turns out you don't need to make as many games when you can just shove them full of lootboxes and microtransactions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chomp8645 posted:

Counterpoint: hmm yes unlike the extremely good quality control we've seen under EA.

yes but while they make lovely games at least we don't get luke's ex-imperial dominatrix girlfriend crying about how the power of the force has just given her a feeling of dread that she's become infertile

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The White Dragon posted:

that would just create a star wars novel EU situation except this time with even less quality control

Well make them get lore approval or whatever nbd

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The White Dragon posted:

yes but while they make lovely games at least we don't get luke's ex-imperial dominatrix girlfriend crying about how the power of the force has just given her a feeling of dread that she's become infertile

That is strangely specific

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FoolyCharged posted:

That is strangely specific

it's some weird part from one of the books that i'm always going to remember as being especially out of place

it was probably from the one where chewie dies

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

I think this actually is an unpopular opinion but I agree with it. I hate how SC4 and Skylines both simulate ground-level traffic on a citizen level. SC2-3 were both just right, they simulated traffic density but iirc the only thing it truly paths is emergency vehicles.

I agree that thats bad, but 4 still abstracted traffic, 2013 introduced agent bullshit and Skylines ran with it

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Counterpoint: hmm yes unlike the extremely good quality control we've seen under EA.

I mean technically, weren't the Battlefront games actually pretty good? I thought the only issue was they got tainted by lovely management practices w/r/t lootboxes and paid character unlocks, not that they were actually bad games.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

U can't have half an A press if a press consists of three actions

lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

prove me wrong, motherfucker, i dare you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

prove me wrong, motherfucker, i dare you

first of lol. Second off I was agreeing with you

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

A solid number of those LucasArts games (and the oodles before them) are terrible.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sodomy Hussein posted:

A solid number of those LucasArts games (and the oodles before them) are terrible.

Yeah lol seriously. Galaxies? Starfighter? Force Unleashed 1 & 2? What about that dumbass Yoda Stories crap? The unbelievably busted Rebellion with non-existent AI? Masters of Tera-Kesai? Demolition?

I could go on. It was easier to find garbage SW games than good ones, and the things were loving everywhere too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Which game was that? Asking for a friend

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Unpopular opinion: More room for new IPs

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JebanyPedal posted:

Yeah lol seriously. Galaxies? Starfighter? Force Unleashed 1 & 2? What about that dumbass Yoda Stories crap? The unbelievably busted Rebellion with non-existent AI? Masters of Tera-Kesai? Demolition?

I could go on. It was easier to find garbage SW games than good ones, and the things were loving everywhere too.

Rebellion was great, idiot

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Force Unleashed was good fun. It’s what everyone wanted when they were 13 but had to act embarrassed about. The guy LOOKS like a fifteen year old from 2004, it’s so out of place for Star Wars but also you get to force choke stormtroopers and slice them with lightsabers.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
I played KOTOR when I was 13 when it first came out. I remember being annoyed that it seemed to take a long time to get a lightsaber and then I quit before I even got the lightsaber. I hear it's a very good game but hell, I'm not made of free time anymore and there's new games coming out every day now.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

QuarkJets posted:

Rebellion was great, idiot

Nope. It was trash. AI was unbelievably useless. If a 4X AI can't even use half the mechanics competently then the game is poo poo.

Also I bought that game big box and it was broken and buggy as poo poo. Unfinished dog dick.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

JebanyPedal posted:

Yoda Stories was fantastic you philistine

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The White Dragon posted:

So that's where Joss Whedon got the idea.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

i watched a twitch stream of someone play the new Battlefront and it looks insanely awesome to play as like a trash can robot or one of the guys who dies instantly at the beginning of the first movie instead of the famous Luke Skylaker or Darth Vader, which you get to play rear end for maybe a minute of the game.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

JebanyPedal posted:

Nope. It was trash. AI was unbelievably useless. If a 4X AI can't even use half the mechanics competently then the game is poo poo.

Also I bought that game big box and it was broken and buggy as poo poo. Unfinished dog dick.

it was so bad when it came out, I bought it too

it's weird that people like it now but I think it was like the biggest star wars game in terms of scale so that's kind of neat

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
why do people make money playing video games on the internet; that’s my unpopular opinion

how much of a loser are you to watch some other loser play video games?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

let it mellow posted:

why do people make money playing video games on the internet; that’s my unpopular opinion

how much of a loser are you to watch some other loser play video games?

A buddy of mine that used to play PC games in our small group of friends never has time for it anymore because he's "streaming." His streams consist of games no one in their right mind would want to watch, like Neverwinter Nights, and his viewer count tops out at 2. Both of them are bots.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

you can often pay a dollar to have a computer with a funny british accent read the name of an emoticon you like out loud on the stream

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Gamers deserve nothing.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

I agree that thats bad, but 4 still abstracted traffic, 2013 introduced agent bullshit and Skylines ran with it

Actually now that I think about it, Simcity 4 did do pathing and stuff but it simply created paths from residential zones to jobs and combined them to create morning and evening commutes but it did not actually simulate individual cars because that's clearly a waste of resources. Simcity 4 had the best systems of all the Simcity games but the SNES one is special with all the cute rewards you can get, it just sucks when you're trying to get a megalopolis and a stupid plane crashes on one of your amusement park gifts that you built 400 squares of road in order to get

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Does get annoying when city builders turn into basically traffic simulators after you get to a reasonable size. I suppose it's realistic but still.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ELI PORTER posted:

you can often pay a dollar to have a computer with a funny british accent read the name of an emoticon you like out loud on the stream

i was doing that for free in the school computer lab when i was 8 lol

my robot voice impression has become worse with age

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The best star wars game is Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

that one that was a reskin of Age of Empires was pretty cool too

I remember as kid finding it mystifying that people would want to play a Star Wars pod racer game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CrRoMa posted:

The best star wars game is Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

that one that was a reskin of Age of Empires was pretty cool too

I remember as kid finding it mystifying that people would want to play a Star Wars pod racer game

Pod Racing Arcade is one if the best designed arcade cabinets in its simplicity even if its pretty content light and also podracing is just NASCAR before the added things like "standardize safety regulations" and "not letting fans shoot onto the track"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Or basically F-Zero with slightly better graphics and a less crowded racetrack.

I think podracing is meant to be more analogous to chariot racing, especially with the whole design of the vehicles. The movie kinda wasted what's an absolutely awesomely batshit insane idea for a sport, chariots with jet engines instead of horses.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does get annoying when city builders turn into basically traffic simulators after you get to a reasonable size. I suppose it's realistic but still.

I really don't like Skylines for this and other reasons. I want to build pretty cities with interesting neighborhood layouts and stuff. Skylines is almost exclusively about traffic, and neighborhoods are just these crude zones you slap onto parts of your city, everything is subordinate to the road network in a way that's not like most cities I've actually lived in. It was a real letdown when I played it and even with some of the better DLC's and mods I still just don't care for that game. 4 was the last good city builder.

They also just sacrificed the really cool region system, where you could build things other than cities like natural landscapes and villages. Only 4 offered that and it's sad that no game ever tried to go that route again. 2.5D is also clearly best.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 19, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Or basically F-Zero with slightly better graphics and a less crowded racetrack.

I think podracing is meant to be more analogous to chariot racing, especially with the whole design of the vehicles. The movie kinda wasted what's an absolutely awesomely batshit insane idea for a sport, chariots with jet engines instead of horses.

It is completely analagous to chariot racing and as such its one of the more interesting futuristic racing in films since its not sleek hyper cars but unstable and wild death engines that explode violently with light provocation.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Real talk when I was deciding between whether or not I wanted a Playstation or an N64 I decided to just try out the demo games they had available for each (I think this was in a Sears maybe)? The demo for N64 was that Podracing game. The demo for the PSX was Battle Arena Toshinden. I made the right choice for the wrong reasons. BAT sucked but Suikoden II opened my eyes to how well a story can be told and a world fleshed out through videogame mechanics.

Anyway play Suikoden II.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

An actual chariot racing game in the kinetic style of Chivalry Medieval Warfare would be cool, like sticking spears in your opponents wheels to gently caress with them or spooking their horses

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
winning or losing is irrelevant in fighting games all that matters is pulling off pro-wrestling moves

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

An actual chariot racing game in the kinetic style of Chivalry Medieval Warfare would be cool, like sticking spears in your opponents wheels to gently caress with them or spooking their horses

this sort of unsportsman like conduct would not be tolerated in ancient Rome and you would be kicked out of the chariot races. that would be like a formula 1 driver bringing a pistol to the race to take pot shots during the pit stops.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

this sort of unsportsman like conduct would not be tolerated in ancient Rome and you would be kicked out of the chariot races. that would be like a formula 1 driver bringing a pistol to the race and take pot shots during the pit stop.

Yeah, you let your drunk, unemployed fan base do it for you as they riot through the street for days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
i am just gonna keep spamming the big swing we are not even playing the same game at this point