Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
2017 Christy Clark resignation flashback:

"What she's given to this province should never be forgiven," said distraught interim leader Rich Coleman, who held back the tears and corrected himself a moment later. "Forgotten."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

recently it was revealed that the "final straw" for Plecas was Christy Clark's plan to replace non-partisan constituency assistants with party operatives

quote:

theBreaker.news was first to report in August 2017 that Plecas was the catalyst for Clark’s departure after he threatened to quit the party and sit as an independent over the ex-premier’s leadership.

Now, the week before the Speaker is scheduled to tell an all-party committee he chairs the concerns he has about two suspended Legislature officials, theBreaker.news can exclusively reveal what was in that news release.

Specifically, that the Abbotsford South MLA objected to Clark’s plan to politicize every BC Liberal MLA’s constituency office.

A draft, six-paragraph version, dated July 27, 2017 — the day before Clark resigned — said the ex-premier’s decision to stay as leader was “focused solely on personal interests and not what is best for the Liberal Party and the people of B.C.”

The “final straw” for Plecas was Clark’s idea for all BC Liberal MLAs to fire their non-partisan constituency assistants and replace them with personnel “who would willingly engage in political activities to bring down the NDP.”

The plan had been discussed at a post-election caucus meeting. Plecas called that an “inappropriate view of public service employees’ independence and the disrespect for public resources.”

“My constituents expect me to represent their interests in an honest and forthright manner, and I cannot do that if my leader is calling on me to compromise my values and my integrity,” said the unpublished news release, obtained by theBreaker.news.

Constituency offices, according to B.C. Legislature rules, “must be operated on a strictly non-partisan basis and cannot be used to engage in or host partisan, political activities.”

Plecas declined comment when contacted by theBreaker.news.

Plecas aired his grievances on July 26, 2017 in a caucus meeting at the Penticton Lakeside Resort. Clark then left the room and the rest of caucus spent several hours debating the election campaign and discussing next steps.

Plecas had planned to publicly resign from the BC Liberals on July 27, 2017 by issuing the six-paragraph news release, but was convinced to give caucus a 24-hour reprieve. Clark dispatched Chilliwack MLA John Martin to act as a go-between in a bid to convince Plecas to ditch his plan. Martin, like Plecas, was a criminology professor before politics, the two are friends and they represent neighbouring ridings. Clark’s strategy didn’t work.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Hello boys and ghouls, Chryptkeeper Blatchford here to talk to you about toxic masculinity

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Another Bill posted:

Hello boys and ghouls, Chryptkeeper Blatchford here to talk to you about toxic masculinity

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/CPC_HQ/status/1086004633913286656

BORDER SECURITY, ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS FLOODING IN, BUILD A WALL

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

it looks like the bullies are about to give him a loving swirlie again

edit: "oh no! justin trudeau stole my lunch money!"

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

DariusLikewise posted:

lmao this is the best tough guy pic of scheer they could find

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
his best "your dad is mildly cross to discover that you still haven't mowed the lawn" face

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Warren Kinsella is drunk again

https://twitter.com/amneetbali/status/1085644200920530944?s=21
https://twitter.com/amneetbali/status/1085656861867573255?s=21
https://twitter.com/kinsellawarren/status/1086019055931346945?s=21
https://twitter.com/sarbjitkaur1/status/1086028916106715136?s=21

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wait, did we just discover that CI is actually warren kinsella?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THC posted:

Warren Kinsella is drunk again

I went looking for his take on day 3 of Karen Wang earlier and it seemed he was in a Mexican hospital this morning after some wild animal bit him in a successful attempt to steal his cookie. (Really.)

He is drunk.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

:owned:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Another Bill posted:

savage

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/Denzelswilson/status/1076581996875329536

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
They tried pulling that non-mandatory funding thing at the University of Manitoba some years ago. Basically everyone ends up opting out of loving everything because it saves them like, $200 a semester TOPS and obviously kids fresh out of high school won't give a gently caress about the programs that money funds. It ends up crippling the student's union, tanks the amazing group benefits plan and obviously no one in their right mind is going to choose to fund the school paper. As stupid as campus papers can be, they're actually an amazing resource for networking. A whole bunch of people I worked with at the campus paper ended up turning into serious journalists.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sounds like a pretty good reason to defund it imo

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

At school in GTA, even some of the most right-wing people i'm friendly with are talking about how Ford's rollback on OSAP is naked class warfare.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

infernal machines posted:

sounds like a pretty good reason to defund it imo

yeah, because surely if we destroy the somewhat corrupted checks on power, good proper leftist ones will materialize from nothing. It certainly wouldn't just result in the right running their campaign against the poor and minorities unchecked.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hurf durf. jokes in c-spam? that's counterrevolutionary posting comrade!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

hurf durf. jokes in c-spam? that's counterrevolutionary posting comrade!

lol sorry, some people here frequently take that position earnestly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Virtual Russian posted:

lol sorry, some people here frequently take that position earnestly.

not sure I’ve seen people advocating for the abolition of the press, tbh — did I miss someone’s gimmick?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i've missed that too, but on the other hand, post-ironic tankies arguing for blatant accelerationism is a c-spam staple

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

If Legault actually does implement PR with every party except the libs it will be hilarious

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

i've missed that too, but on the other hand, post-ironic tankies arguing for blatant accelerationism is a c-spam staple

yeah this

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol canada

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Queen's has already allowed you to opt out of many student fees. When you would go to do it, you had to individually check off each one to stop funding. This had a strong psychological impact because when you saw you were sending $0.23 to the newspaper and $0.11 to the Asian heritage club you would feel like a dick if you couldn't give away a few bucks so the clubs could run.

I would assume students will have to do a better job marketing student fees. It's obviously a small valuable contribution and if you make use of any clubs, intramurals or resources you end up saving a ton of money compared to doing similar things off campus.

That said, I've yet to hear anyone say anything positive about these cuts.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Alizee posted:

Queen's has already allowed you to opt out of many student fees. When you would go to do it, you had to individually check off each one to stop funding. This had a strong psychological impact because when you saw you were sending $0.23 to the newspaper and $0.11 to the Asian heritage club you would feel like a dick if you couldn't give away a few bucks so the clubs could run.

I would assume students will have to do a better job marketing student fees. It's obviously a small valuable contribution and if you make use of any clubs, intramurals or resources you end up saving a ton of money compared to doing similar things off campus.

That said, I've yet to hear anyone say anything positive about these cuts.

When i was at a small college a number of years back all the car owning students got together and had the bus pass fee removed and thus the bus pass was ended. In a general assembly meeting their leader literally told us to "just get a loving car and stop freeloading." Never underestimate people's general malice and selfishness. They then also voted down a motion to start a student health plan along the same lines.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I helped run a successful "no bus pass!" student referendum campaign a number of years back too!

(I dunno how they managed to get it passed a few years later, either, but I imagine the deal had to have been significantly sweeter so I guess everybody wins.)

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud posted:

I helped run a successful "no bus pass!" student referendum campaign a number of years back too!

(I dunno how they managed to get it passed a few years later, either, but I imagine the deal had to have been significantly sweeter so I guess everybody wins.)

Yeah, far sweeter - they included non-transit things in it to win over the car people. I'd have voted in favour of the second referendum too!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Virtual Russian posted:

yeah, because surely if we destroy the somewhat corrupted checks on power, good proper leftist ones will materialize from nothing. It certainly wouldn't just result in the right running their campaign against the poor and minorities unchecked.

"somewhat"?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
we have 'yinlock' grade checks and balances on power

which means we're hosed

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
I crave white genocide
https://twitter.com/mheavyhead/status/1087242649516486656
https://twitter.com/mheavyhead/status/1087243445981212674
https://twitter.com/mheavyhead/status/1087244337312804865
https://twitter.com/mheavyhead/status/1087245491094474753

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Baloogan posted:

we have 'yinlock' grade checks and balances on power

which means we're hosed

not denying that

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:aaa:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 01:00 on Jun 16, 2021

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
theres a guy in my office (toronto""hollywood North"" as we like to call it up here) who wears a maga hat every day. he hangs out in the lobby at lunch listening to Infowars which he makes sure the logo is taking up 100% of the screen space as he holds the phone up to his ear while it blairs.

its been 2 years at this point and he does it every day. i thought he was just a local homeless guy until i saw him in the actual elevators one day, so he works here somewhere. its just such a pathetic routine, he so desperately wants people to interact with him so he can finally use his prepared retorts

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bring back old gbs posted:

(toronto""hollywood North"" as we like to call it up here)

I think you’ll find that “Maple Valley” is the new fashion.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:aaaaa:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 01:00 on Jun 16, 2021

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
The only place I've seen MAGA hats in the wild in Toronto is in the heart of chinatown on Spadina, on the heads of chain smoking asian men sitting on milk crates in front of their shops.

It's weird.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1087441609149505539
:getin: lads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1087484126100221952?s=19

Possibly even very soon today? Unclear.