Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Anyone else notice the panel with Kaidou?

page 14, bottom center left

Kaidou is letting out a sigh. The strongest creature on the Grand Line, who's hobby is to try and kill himself, is relieved that Charlotte didnt dock her boat on their waterfall

Big Mom scares all, no exceptions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Reiche posted:

Oh my god, but don't you think that man might be a little too recognizable as well?

Who is this man?! WHERE IS SNIPER ISLAND?!?!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Anyone else notice the panel with Kaidou?

page 14, bottom center left

Kaidou is letting out a sigh. The strongest creature on the Grand Line, who's hobby is to try and kill himself, is relieved that Charlotte didnt dock her boat on their waterfall

Big Mom scares all, no exceptions

Being extremely old and indestructible is probably a lot worse than just being indestructible

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
even kaidou can appreciate avoiding a difficult fight that doesn't advance his goals any further

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'll never really be able to view FI and Dressrosa as anything less than good just cause even with their faults, the Fisher Tiger and Law flashbacks are just so amazingly strong. Plus the King Kong Gun was just perfect.

Yeah there's never been a One Piece arc where I lost interest or hated.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Usopp really hammering home his status as the worst strawhat by loudly announcing to his friends and allies how quickly he'll sell them out to save his own rear end.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Clam Chowdown posted:

Usopp really hammering home his status as the worst strawhat by loudly announcing to his friends and allies how quickly he'll sell them out to save his own rear end.

He was only saying it specifically to get a reaction out of Law.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Clam Chowdown posted:

He only said that to get Sanji's protection, literally the next panel

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Also God Usopp's entire thing is being scared and loudly proclaiming what a coward he is and then actually doing the heroic and awesome thing when the chips are down.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Clam Chowdown really hammering home their status as the worst poster by loudly announcing to everyone how terrible they are at reading comprehension

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

U-DO Burger posted:

Clam Chowdown really hammering home their status as the worst poster by loudly announcing to everyone how terrible they are at reading comprehension

:emptyquote:

for real tho, this is just more setup. We've now got several plot lines that are going to mix at different points in the upcoming story. poo poo is going to go light speed

For example there's no way Big Mom is out for the count but this does delay her. She'll probably pop up as a cliff hanger ending

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 19, 2019

Greed
Apr 28, 2008
Big Mom has like two hundred ships and I doubt everyone would be on one ship, seems like a Brûlée trick.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Greed posted:

Big Mom has like two hundred ships and I doubt everyone would be on one ship, seems like a Brûlée trick.

Yeah and several of her most powerful crew are absent, like Cracker, Katakuri and Oven. And while one of them may have stayed back to guard home base or whatever, it seems unlikely they'd take on another emperor head on without their best fighters

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Well cracker and katakuri might still be down for the count from their fights with Luffy, but yeah Oven didn't get a scratch on him so not being here is noteworthy.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Gotta leave a few heavy hitters behind to guard your territory (until Blackbeard shows up to curbstomp them anyway)

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Fawf posted:

He only said that to get Sanji's protection, literally the next panel

Wasnt his big declaration after the time skip to be a Brave Man of the Sea? Way to step up there Usopp

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gnome7 posted:

Well cracker and katakuri might still be down for the count from their fights with Luffy, but yeah Oven didn't get a scratch on him so not being here is noteworthy.

Oven got kicked by Sanji, but he was fine. It's been like a week at least since the fights, so Cracker and Katakuri would probably have recovered by now. Katakuri was in no worse shape than Luffy at the end.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Parrotine posted:

Wasnt his big declaration after the time skip to be a Brave Man of the Sea? Way to step up there Usopp

God Usopp has a 200 million beli bounty

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
By the time he reaches Blackbeard, Luffy's Haki abilities are gonna be so good he'll stand toe-to-toe with Blackbeard's DF abilities even without Gear Fourth.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

By the time he reaches Blackbeard, Luffy's Haki abilities are gonna be so good he'll stand toe-to-toe with Blackbeard's DF abilities even without Gear Fourth.
I think what's going to throw off Blackbeard is that his primary devil fruit negates Luffy's and then just get caught off guard by how hard Luffy hits and how fast he moves without using the Gum Gum fruit as a crutch like most other people. Luffy is one of those people like Shanks & his crew, Garp, Raleigh, Hancock & The Amazons, etc who are just absurdly strong even without a fruit ability. Most of the heavy hitters we've seen rely on Logia fruit, like the entirety of the Marine Admirals but Luffy leans more towards Garp and Raleigh who are just obscenely strong on their own who happens to have a fruit that just makes his physical strength hit even harder.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah and several of her most powerful crew are absent, like Cracker, Katakuri and Oven. And while one of them may have stayed back to guard home base or whatever, it seems unlikely they'd take on another emperor head on without their best fighters

Keep in mind they also get held up by the Fishman Pirates. We don't know how that battle went

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Kild posted:

Keep in mind they also get held up by the Fishman Pirates. We don't know how that battle went

Since Big Mom is at Wano and Jinbei isn't, I think it's safe to say that they're all dead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RealFoxy posted:

I think what's going to throw off Blackbeard is that his primary devil fruit negates Luffy's and then just get caught off guard by how hard Luffy hits and how fast he moves without using the Gum Gum fruit as a crutch like most other people. Luffy is one of those people like Shanks & his crew, Garp, Raleigh, Hancock & The Amazons, etc who are just absurdly strong even without a fruit ability. Most of the heavy hitters we've seen rely on Logia fruit, like the entirety of the Marine Admirals but Luffy leans more towards Garp and Raleigh who are just obscenely strong on their own who happens to have a fruit that just makes his physical strength hit even harder.

Luffy's fruit is an unusual one, and he actually fights more like a Zoan user; like we saw with CP9, powerful physical fighters become exponentially more so with the added animal strength of a Zoan type, and can incorporate their physical techniques and abilities into their animal form fighting style, but that also means if you take away their power they're still incredibly strong and skilled people. And Luffy can still fight without stretching when he wants to, as he did in the Colosseum as Lucy, so it's not going to be too disorienting for him to have his powers turned off compared to how it'd be for someone with a more exotic ability that they have to specifically develop and incorporate into their fighting style. It has been established that while powerful Fruit users are terrifying on the blue seas and can dominate Paradise, around the New World the more they use their fruit as a crutch the quicker they go down.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Luffy is also aware that Blackbeard can disable his fruit since he's fought him before

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Don't forget tho Shanks' comment to Whitebeard when he was talking about how Teach gave him his scar and "it's not because (he) was being careless". And I'm fairly certain that was well before he acquired the devil fruit

Blackbeard was basically introduced as someone who intentionally kept himself super low key and under the radar, presumably so people underestimated him, and he still was able to fight Shanks and be the one to score visible damage. He's obviously hiding some frightening combat skills himself.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

Don't forget tho Shanks' comment to Whitebeard when he was talking about how Teach gave him his scar and "it's not because (he) was being careless". And I'm fairly certain that was well before he acquired the devil fruit

Blackbeard was basically introduced as someone who intentionally kept himself super low key and under the radar, presumably so people underestimated him, and he still was able to fight Shanks and be the one to score visible damage. He's obviously hiding some frightening combat skills himself.

Agreed. He also was offered a commander position by Whitebeard.

So while he's risen meteorically, most of the power players in the universe knew he wasn't someone to take lightly

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

Luffy is also aware that Blackbeard can disable his fruit since he's fought him before

legit forget when this happened. marineford maybe?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

escape from impel down

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipmMktQIark

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.
So to those wondering about Wano's pacing, I'd agree it's been rather brisk, yes. This is because Oda realizes it's time to start working his way to the *actual* meat of the series. Defeating Kaidou is an important step on the way there, due to Luffy needing to cement the fact that he can defeat these extremely powerful obstacles to acquire the coordinates to Raftel, and having his entire crew become Yonkou level, but still, we're not quite to the actual meat.

I think mentally, he's realized that drat, he's near 1000 chapters. That's quite a heap of chapters. He's entertained us along the way, but the true message of One Peace, I mean One Piece, will be shown to us in detail. This probably is also why he decided to have Wano be a dual Yonkou arc, to start being able to draw the important message he's been wanting to let out. I no longer believe Elbaf will be "Big Mom's arc" (I did used to though, it made perfect sense.) I'm on the bandwagon that thinks Wano will be Shanks' arc, and contain mythological aspects like Yggdrasil etc. (what's that nearly invisible line extending to the sky seen in both the anime and manga in Big Mom's flashback in Elbaf? I have no doubt we'll see another important "Tree" on Elbaf. Tree of Knowledge existed, Sunlight Tree Eve, Treasure Tree Adam, Devil Fruit Tree (in the one-shot of OP before the manga was published, but OP takes many ideas from there)).

Anyway, random stuff I just felt like saying. Yes, I think the theme of *not* relying solely on your Devil Fruit will play a pretty significant role later in the series. Base Luffy is still super strong, even when he was right out of the jungle from Garp's training as a kid. I think this might be a lesson Shanks teaches him before he fights Blackbeard?

Demonicpoodle fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 19, 2019

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

RealFoxy posted:

Even if it isn't canon, Film Z still brings up a good point of catching people who rely too heavily and arrogantly on their DF abilities off-guard by using alternative methods (EG Haki, seastone bullets, some other destructive force, etc). Even Whitebeard called Blackbeard out on his arrogance at Marineford. Kizaru likely knew that Ben Beckman uses seastone bullets + Haki so he knew he'd still get shot despite his DF ability.

That's definitely going to be a plot point with Blackbeard, count on it. His whole crew is obsessed with collecting the rarest and most powerful Devil Fruits out there. He's going to be hoisted by his own petard so hard.

poo poo, imagine Blackbeard swooping in to steal Big Mom's or Kaidou's Devil Fruits once Wano or Elbaf are over. I could see Blackbeard trying to steal Big Mom's abilities to fit with the real-life Blackbeard's association with souls.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 19, 2019

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Even if it isn't canon, Film Z still brings up a good point of catching people who rely too heavily and arrogantly on their DF abilities off-guard by using alternative methods (EG Haki, seastone bullets, some other destructive force, etc). Even Whitebeard called Blackbeard out on his arrogance at Marineford.

That's definitely going to be a plot point with Blackbeard, count on it. His whole crew is obsessed with collecting the rarest and most powerful Devil Fruits out there. He's going to be hoisted by his own petard so hard.

poo poo, imagine Blackbeard swooping in to steal Big Mom's or Kaidou's Devil Fruits once Wano or Elbaf are over. I could see Blackbeard trying to steal Big Mom's abilities to fit with the real-life Blackbeard's association with souls.

Does Blackbeard have the ability to use haki in the first place? That would make a lot sense for why his desire for the darkness fruit was so singular. If he can't utilize armament haki to defeat logias then this is the only other consistent way to neutralize them.

I'd put my money on him going after Kaidou's fruit so he has the trifecta of paramecia-logia-zoan at his disposal. That would also help clarify theories a bit, too, if he can turn partially into a dragon and still use his other abilities. Also, I think a dragon zoan also fits his obsession with having the "strongest" of each fruit class.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Shoren posted:

Does Blackbeard have the ability to use haki in the first place? That would make a lot sense for why his desire for the darkness fruit was so singular. If he can't utilize armament haki to defeat logias then this is the only other consistent way to neutralize them.

I'd put my money on him going after Kaidou's fruit so he has the trifecta of paramecia-logia-zoan at his disposal. That would also help clarify theories a bit, too, if he can turn partially into a dragon and still use his other abilities. Also, I think a dragon zoan also fits his obsession with having the "strongest" of each fruit class.

That makes a lot of sense too. I could also see Blackbeard ending up as some kind of Tetsuo monstrosity with dozens of Devil Fruits swallowed up by whatever method he uses to utilize multiple Devil Fruits when it should be otherwise impossible to use more than one.

I love how One Piece could go in multiple directions and still be plausible and awesome anyway, and yet Oda still pulls something unexpected that was also foreshadowed hundreds of chapters ago. :allears:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 19, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shoren posted:

I’ve always liked the idea that Blackbeard can’t use Haki, but there’s one problem with it: he sensed Luffy’s Haki back in Jaya. But maybe that was due to Luffy unconsciously using Color of the Conqueror and Blackbeard feeling the pressure on his mind, rather that Blackbeard using Color of Observation (which has never actually been shown to detect other people’s Haki anyway).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

escape from impel down

ooooo yea, I remember now. thanks

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

I’ve always liked the idea that Blackbeard can’t use Haki, but there’s one problem with it: he sensed Luffy’s Haki back in Jaya. But maybe that was due to Luffy unconsciously using Color of the Conqueror and Blackbeard feeling the pressure on his mind, rather that Blackbeard using Color of Observation (which has never actually been shown to detect other people’s Haki anyway).

Haki then just referred to "spirit" or something intangible rather than a kind of superpower like it is now. Or, if you don't buy that, then it's also possible that Blackbeard just knew when someone had the kind of potential Luffy does given his proximity to such powerful pirates in the New World. Lots of explanations, I think.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Demonicpoodle posted:

So to those wondering about Wano's pacing, I'd agree it's been rather brisk, yes. This is because Oda realizes it's time to start working his way to the *actual* meat of the series. Defeating Kaidou is an important step on the way there, due to Luffy needing to cement the fact that he can defeat these extremely powerful obstacles to acquire the coordinates to Raftel, and having his entire crew become Yonkou level, but still, we're not quite to the actual meat.

I think mentally, he's realized that drat, he's near 1000 chapters. That's quite a heap of chapters. He's entertained us along the way, but the true message of One Peace, I mean One Piece, will be shown to us in detail. This probably is also why he decided to have Wano be a dual Yonkou arc, to start being able to draw the important message he's been wanting to let out. I no longer believe Elbaf will be "Big Mom's arc" (I did used to though, it made perfect sense.) I'm on the bandwagon that thinks Wano will be Shanks' arc, and contain mythological aspects like Yggdrasil etc. (what's that nearly invisible line extending to the sky seen in both the anime and manga in Big Mom's flashback in Elbaf? I have no doubt we'll see another important "Tree" on Elbaf. Tree of Knowledge existed, Sunlight Tree Eve, Treasure Tree Adam, Devil Fruit Tree (in the one-shot of OP before the manga was published, but OP takes many ideas from there)).

Anyway, random stuff I just felt like saying. Yes, I think the theme of *not* relying solely on your Devil Fruit will play a pretty significant role later in the series. Base Luffy is still super strong, even when he was right out of the jungle from Garp's training as a kid. I think this might be a lesson Shanks teaches him before he fights Blackbeard?

I feel like every since we got to the New World, there's been a constant tension between Oda knowing that he has to start working towards finishing this series, and him just loving world-building and designing characters and giving them goofy stuff to do. By the end of an arc, there's so much forward momentum and everything could come to a climax in just a few short weeks, but then we get to a new island he just has so many ideas.

To be clear, I absolutely love this, and hope he takes as much time as he wants. The bits at the beginning of a new arc where we're meeting new characters and learning about the island are some of my absolute favorite parts of the whole series. If that means that this series lasts 2000 chapters, so be it. There's plenty of time to get to the important stuff, One Piece is so insanely popular that I doubt anyone is capable of pressuring Oda into doing anything he doesn't want to.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shoren posted:

Haki then just referred to "spirit" or something intangible rather than a kind of superpower like it is now. Or, if you don't buy that, then it's also possible that Blackbeard just knew when someone had the kind of potential Luffy does given his proximity to such powerful pirates in the New World. Lots of explanations, I think.

Haki has always meant what it is now don't do a Zorak. The dark fruit lets him nullify devil fruit powers not simply hit logia's. It almost certainly also has something to do with how he ate the quake fruit which is another reason he wanted it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There was talk about Vegapunk earlier in the arc and SHOW ME VEGAPUNK ODA, YOU COWARD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Jose posted:

Haki has always meant what it is now don't do a Zorak. The dark fruit lets him nullify devil fruit powers not simply hit logia's. It almost certainly also has something to do with how he ate the quake fruit which is another reason he wanted it

I don't know what doing "a Zorak" means :confused:

All I'm saying is that it's pretty clear Oda hadn't fleshed out the idea of haki at that point in time compared to what it has matured into. I think Blackbeard's first mention of haki was significant, but not because he was specifically recognizing Luffy using one of the three forms. That's all.

If that's super controversial then I guess I'll stop talking about it now.