Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hastily making GBS threads out a new deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

overmind2000 posted:

Hastily making GBS threads out a new deal

Now I can't help but picture him frantically thumbing through poo poo to finish this like a kid in school trying to finish their homework a few minutes before it has to be turned in

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Let us take a moment to think about the real victim here...

https://twitter.com/pblagojevich/status/1086445035850268672

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Revising his speech, but he accidentally ate all of his crayons.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Ice Phisherman posted:

Revising his speech, but he accidentally ate all of his crayons.

He only uses Sharpies. Probably passed out from the fumes for a bit and needs the extra time to engineer his coif.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Radish posted:

This dude just openly saying he's going to gently caress the rain forests, indigenous people, lgbt people, raiding colleges, attacking free press, etc to which your average international liberal is like "hmm yes how delightfully interesting his views are!" is terrifying if not unexpected.

"Terrifying if not unexpected" should be the slogan for everything that has happened on Earth from at least the 2000 Bush/Gore election until today.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/IGD_News/status/1086704822923845632

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Dick Trauma posted:

Let us take a moment to think about the real victim here...

https://twitter.com/pblagojevich/status/1086445035850268672

Lmao "fundraising" is a hell of a way to describe selling a Senate seat.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Is that all of them?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One thing I rarely see Democrats say regarding Trump is how he is a weak ruler. Like, "weak" as a specific word. He's a motherfucker and an idiot and a racist, but rarely is he called weak.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Arcsquad12 posted:

One thing I rarely see Democrats say regarding Trump is how he is a weak ruler. Like, "weak" as a specific word. He's a motherfucker and an idiot and a racist, but rarely is he called weak.

A weak person's idea of a strong man. A stupid man's idea of a smart man.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Good answer

https://twitter.com/sabrinasiddiqui/status/1086705526124277766?s=21

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Because somehow the fey, mincing reality tv show messy bitch gets characterized as decisive Daddy Trump.

Same way that John votes like a standard Republican 98% of the time Mccain was a "maverick". The way that these narratives form and then harden is weird and interesting and frustrating

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1086694424116117504

Even Murkowski is saying Trump needs to reopen the government first before any deal

how the hell does he keep loving this poo poo up. like i know he is a dumb piece of poo poo but sometimes it just hits you fresh.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

FizFashizzle posted:

Jimmy carter is a saint.

While accurate, he was not one when president. He is a really cool individual, but unfortunately brought a lot of problematic views to the White House around personal responsibility and his public fighting with his own Dems in Congress helped pave the way for the Reagan Revolution neoliberal hell we live in now. He walked right into the trap of "welfare is too expensive from an administrative side trap" and helped prime the attack on it as a total system to come. He was and still is strongly anti-leftist because both his religious and cultural upbringing prevent him from understanding the root of the issues. He IS a great humanitarian and voice for compassion, but he is very bad at systems level analysis and still to this day unfortunately has a strong small government view.

I don't mean this post as an attack on the man to be clear, more as a general awareness raising that propping Carter up as an example of One of the Good Ones is going to open you up to a lot of very valid attacks. And much like ACAB, all presidents are criminals. It's the nature of the job.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

1glitch0 posted:

"Terrifying if not unexpected" should be the slogan for everything that has happened on Earth from at least the 2000 Bush/Gore election until today.

USPOL Winter: terrifying if not unexpected

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Warren uses the language of “reasonable” decorum, which persuades no one. Notice how she talks about saving “the middle class” and never mentions the desperate or the poor, nor that the middle class vanished years ago and that we’re all downwardly mobile or paupers. She’s a rich boomer and afraid to describe things as they are.

Ocasio is a pauper and talks like it. She is of the people and talks like it.
Not just that, but if you read the original interview they're trying to cite, Warren bends over backwards to dodge the question about what the top tax rate should be.

quote:

Q: Back to 35 percent?

A: Well, it's not about the number. Here's how I look at budgets and taxes are at the heart of this. A lot of people think they're just numbers; they're not. They are the expression of our values. The values of the Republican Party that passed those tax cuts are to give $1.5 trillion away to the richest Americans and the biggest corporations, and let everybody else pick up the crumbs.

I think the right way to think about this is that we need a budget, we need a tax bill that works for all of us. So what I'd like to see is I'd like to see us strengthen America's middle class.

Q: What's too high for the top personal rate?

A: It's not about a number. That's what negotiations are all about.

Q: Is 50 percent obviously too high?

A: That's why you sit down and you negotiate over the numbers.

Q: When George W. Bush was president, his team articulated the view that it was a matter of right and wrong that you shouldn't have more than a third of your income taken. Do you feel similarly that it's wrong for more than half of somebody's marginal income to be taken?

A: Look, there was a time in a very prosperous America — an America that was growing a middle class, an America in which working families were doing better generation after generation after generation — where the top marginal rate was well above 50 percent.

Q: Ninety percent.

A: That's exactly right. But for me, the heart of the question is that you've got to ask, "What constitutes a fair share in this economy?" It depends in part on what the economy is.

Q: It doesn't strike you as obviously, "no, 90 percent, that's ridiculous. Can't be that"?

A: Ninety percent, yes; 90 percent sounds pretty shockingly high. But what I’m trying to get at is this is not about negotiating over specific numbers. It's not about negotiating before you go into the negotiations.
That's a far cry from AOC simply outright saying, "yes, the top tax rate should be 70%", and it's total bullshit to equate the two.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
^^^^ fair enough. Though my original point still stands that I do think I’ve heard other Dems mention this before. Though I’ll do some research to make sure

Democrats setting a firm line. NO deal of any kind before opening the government

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1086709364532989952?s=21

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 19, 2019

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if he even goes through with the address.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

I wonder if he even goes through with the address.

he might just scream emergency shutdown or try to close the borders.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how the hell does he keep loving this poo poo up. like i know he is a dumb piece of poo poo but sometimes it just hits you fresh.

He isn't actually doing anything to solve it, just glomming onto or shooting down others's ideas.

That's how he's always worked, it just so happens to fail rather spectacularly in this sort of situation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i'm dreading how the history of this time is written because i can't take a repeat of reagan. i mean trump will never be seen as a saint or whatever but reagan was profoundly stupid and it's rarely if ever brought up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

He isn't actually doing anything to solve it, just glomming onto or shooting down others's ideas.

That's how he's always worked, it just so happens to fail rather spectacularly in this sort of situation.

its also that he is being held accountable for poo poo now. if he fucks up, people scream and sht on him over it and then it blows up in his face. in the old days, no one cared.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/grynbaum/status/1086705597855264768

good to see buzzfeed standing by their people and promising more reporting

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm dreading how the history of this time is written because i can't take a repeat of reagan. i mean trump will never be seen as a saint or whatever but reagan was profoundly stupid and it's rarely if ever brought up.

nah. reagan as evil and dumb as he was had several things trump didn't. one, he was always well liked and new how to be human in public facing settings and knew how to put a happy moral face on his horrors and second, he had smart ghouls propping him up. third, there was no internet when Reagan was in.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I’m more inclined to believe the Mueller Team at this juncture until Buzzfeed can prove otherwise...

... 2019 made me type this sentence

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/LisaDNews/status/1086704082390302721

pelosi said "gently caress off".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

I'm genuinely curious about this at this point. They clearly hosed some level of this up, but if it was something small like 'oh ok we didn't get these emails from Trump Foundation these were from other stuff' or whatever that'd be something to clarify.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Oh man, I bet "inadequate" will piss ol' Toad Dick off something fierce

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

eke out posted:

I agree, but something is frustrating to me about the metaphor of a fellow government worker dutifully doing research and paperwork, the only organs of our society able to end a crisis patiently waiting for a report so they can actually do what needs to be done.

Mueller's report needs to happen so we can reveal the evil and sins done in our name, meanwhile, people suffer, die, and continue to drag the world toward worse. Our people suffer and our best angels want to make sure we are correct in our actions, but as it stands, there is no justice and there should be no peace for these villians.

Hurry up Council, some days it's just hard to cope with.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

So is anyone besides cable news carrying today’s speech?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

So is anyone besides cable news carrying today’s speech?

You know how live broadcasts often have a delay so they can censor foul language?

Trumps only venue should be a twitch stream that replaces every word out of his mouth with fart noises.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

theblackw0lf posted:

^^^^ fair enough. Though my original point still stands that I do think I’ve heard other Dems mention this before. Though I’ll do some research to make sure
Bernie's tax plan called for a 50% top tax rate and elimination of capital gains rates above $250k which was pretty good, but I don't recall how much coverage that got compared to all the other controversy surrounding the Democratic primary at the time.

quote:

Democrats setting a firm line. NO deal of any kind before opening the government
https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1086709364532989952?s=21
Good. Congress needs to take a hard stance against the president holding the government hostage to get funding for his pet project. I think this needs to be pushed harder in their messaging.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

we'll let the critics roll of our backs

*doesn't allow critics to roll off their backs*

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

sexpig by night posted:

I'm genuinely curious about this at this point. They clearly hosed some level of this up, but if it was something small like 'oh ok we didn't get these emails from Trump Foundation these were from other stuff' or whatever that'd be something to clarify.

If it was something trivial that they had gotten wrong, then I don't think the Mueller team would have been moved to break their protocol by publicly refuting the report. It's obviously something relatively substantial the Buzzfeed have gotten wrong, then.

On the other hand, Buzzfeed seem to be sticking to their guns and I doubt they'd be sticking their necks out on something as important as this if they didn't have confidence in their sources, so it's a little difficult to discern where the error might be. The best guess is obviously that Buzzfeed have misrepresented the quality of the evidence that they have tying Trump to Cohen's perjury, but it's basically anyone's guess what's going on at the moment.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Rex-Goliath posted:

we'll let the critics roll of our backs

*doesn't allow critics to roll off their backs*

"“The Constitution prohibits a religious test for holding public office, so we’ll let the critics roll off our back" feels incredibly ominous, somehow.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I still say the Dems give him every cent he asks for for border security with the express provision that not one cent goes for a wall. Shout this from the rooftops and go on every talking head show with this message. That proves that although the Dems dont want a wall they still want border security. I know it won't change the polls much, but I feel like we're lacking in the message that we want it, just not in that form.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 19, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Your Taint posted:

I still say the Dems give him every cent he asks for for border security with the express provision that not one cent goes for a wall. Shout this from the rooftops and fo on every talking head show with this message. That proves that although the Dems dont want a wall they still want border security.

25 billion dollars for guns to shoot immigrants with, got it :angel:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Your Taint posted:

I still say the Dems give him every cent he asks for for border security with the express provision that not one cent goes for a wall. Shout this from the rooftops and fo on every talking head show with this message. That proves that although the Dems dont want a wall they still want border security.

Conceding the point that keeping scary Mexicans out is a desirable thing to spend billions of dollars on feels iffy to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/1086704895183458304

https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/1086706402142445568

Way to go Donny, you managed to piss off everybody lol