Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
On the way to work I drive mostly in 'D' mode, on shift level 2, the car changes gears at like 3800 rpms and everything's pretty mellow as I putter along on the freeway.

On the way home, I have about 15 minutes of stop and go to warm it up, then it's time to thumb the "M" button on the wheel which puts it in S/sequential and turns gearchange aggressiveness to level 5 and jacks everything to full mental mode, then it's a 20 minute blast up the 101 or a canyon road, hitting 8300 rpm whenever possible and doing my best to get 3rd gear tire chirps if the road is open in front of 4-way stops up the hill.

It's due a visit to the mechanic next week that's going to entail a slightly more in-depth servicing than previous mileage required (at 32k now) - tune in and find out if it costs me $$$$ or just $$$!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Are the 08 M3s really that much worse than later models?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
There may be some mechanical changes but the greatest tragedy will be the ancient nav screen (CCC). Get one without and you’re good. For the sedans most people don’t want them because of the LCI update in 09. Definitely cheaper though.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I think I just posted about this on the last page, but you seriously shouldn't let the old nav system stop you. Just replace it with one of these and call it a day. The older version of this is what I had in the e90 that I owned for like a year and it was absolutely perfect. I would have bought their E46 unit for my ZHP if I hadn't decided to stop putting any money into it before it got wrecked.

I really can't recommend them enough, though. It'll take you less than an hour to install, it's completely undetectable as an aftermarket unit in terms of appearance, the UI will look stock to anyone who isn't familiar with these cars, and it's frankly better than even the NBT iDrive systems. It also works seamlessly with all of the car controls including the iDrive knob and you don't lose any existing functionality.

edit- make sure you get the GPS and aux splitters

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BraveUlysses posted:

Are the 08 M3s really that much worse than later models?

As mentioned the older interface kind of sucked. The big drawback is the navigation via the scrollwheel mounted on the center console. I believe the screen was lower resolution too. Like posted above there are a few aftermarket replacements that bring it into the current century all plug and play style.

The big difference that everyone will shriek about is rod bearings. The early models used bearings that had copper/lead and then some time during the later 2009 production the bearings changed, some say including different tolerances but they did get different composition, more with tin/aluminum. I think it had to do with moving away from lead or some such reason. The 2008 manual transmission equipped cars had a different sized clutch and flywheel, so be aware that for those specifically you will need to replace a few extra things to update it to the newer clutch or just buy a 2008 specific clutch.

Should those things not scare you off go for it. Find the best maintained one you can get. People with 2008 generally don't maintain them as well as newer because they know the resale on them is in the toilet as the newer models are more appealing. Get one for under $20K easily but plan on replacing the following nearly immediately:

Rod bearings: The good thing about having this done now is that if/when it comes to resale for you this money will be recovered from any potential buyer. About a $2500 service including parts and labor.
Engine mounts: They will be about $400 for the parts, but as you replace the rod bearings these will need replacing as well. They are a fluid filled rubber mount and at this age/miles they will easily have failed and collapsed. This will cost no additional labor because you are dropping the subframe to get at the pan/bearings
Brakes; Brakes are expensive, even for OEM ones. If you can find one with history of having brakes done somewhat recently that would be ideal
Fluids: every single fluid will need to be changed. Coolant, diff, transmission, and brake fluid. Diff and brake fluid should be priority #1 if there is no record of it being done in the last ~3 years.

If you buy a Double Clutch transmission, get a pre-purchase inspection and have the "DCT pan gasket" be inspected. This seems to be the only weak point of the DCT and is not endemic among every DCT but is common. The gasket will weep and leak which will lead to a mechatronic plug of some sort getting fouled out. If it is dry then you are in good shape. If it is showing signs of weeping then you need to keep an eye on it. If it is leaking then it needs to be replaced. The part is not expensive, but the labor is immense. This is like a $1500-1700 repair. This alone will make the PPI worth it, and again if you do need to replace this and have record of it any money you spend you will get back from resale.

Info to read up on the DCT gasket:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1531578
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1096911

See if you can find one for ~$18K or so and have ~$4K of immediate services above to get the car up to snuff. You can have an extremely well sorted E9X for ~$22K that will go tens of thousands of miles with zero issues other than frequent trips to the gas station.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah there's no way i'm getting anything but a 6-speed. DCT/DSGs are good and all just not the same as a third pedal.

ok gonna keep my eyes peeled for a clean melbourne red or lemans blue 6speed.

dunno if i will sell the wife's cx5 and let her keep the GTI or if i should sell it, i got time to figure that out

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

I think I just posted about this on the last page, but you seriously shouldn't let the old nav system stop you. Just replace it with one of these and call it a day. The older version of this is what I had in the e90 that I owned for like a year and it was absolutely perfect. I would have bought their E46 unit for my ZHP if I hadn't decided to stop putting any money into it before it got wrecked.

I really can't recommend them enough, though. It'll take you less than an hour to install, it's completely undetectable as an aftermarket unit in terms of appearance, the UI will look stock to anyone who isn't familiar with these cars, and it's frankly better than even the NBT iDrive systems. It also works seamlessly with all of the car controls including the iDrive knob and you don't lose any existing functionality.

Wow thanks for the heads up on this, whenever I finally find my E92 I am definitely buying one

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Paradoxish posted:

Huh this is neat. Carplay works too looks like?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Lol the brakes rotor prices are eye watering expensive holy poo poo.

Not a deterrent cause brakes don't really need to be serviced that often but wow

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I should really have many months ago buy a cover for my E89 Z4. Is there something I should overthink on this or just buy something off Amazon that fits? I don't need the plate to show through, it's on a private driveway. It's 167" long if wikipedia is to be believed.

Rain and Sun are the enemy here, 0 chance of snow. Oh and Santa Ana winds. Lots of crud in the air from living in Los Angeles.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 19, 2019

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I had the rare winter morning to take the M out after being in hibernation for nearly two months. It rained the last couple days to clear off any residual salt on the road and I took the older kids to cars and coffee.

This car is sublime. It really is a forever car for me. I know I go on and on any time someone entertains the idea of having one, but just know that with this month being two years of ownership the car is the best and I still get a thrill every time I have the chance at driving it. Buy an M3, preferably with a V8.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's a more fun car overall than the M2/M3/M4 currently for sale are, I don't know if it's the general 'difficulty level' and slightly absurd motorsport-y rawness that's been focus-grouped out in those cars that is the reason, or if it's the ridiculously well-paired symphony of the intake+exhaust working together at full spin that the S65 gives out that no set of upgraded F80 speakers ever will, or what, but.... I'm with you.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
So... what's up with the ActiveHybrid F30s? I'm not personally interested in them because AT-only and an extra 300 lbs for a 2mpg advantage seems silly, but I've been noticing that they are dirt cheap compared to other F30 335s. I'm routinely seeing them for $4-5k less than regular F30 335s, and with low miles and tons of options too. The batteries can't possibly be a concern on 4 year old cars with <50k miles, so what's the deal with these things?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Be me, go out drinking during a snow day and lose your apartment, work and both car keys.

Looks like I have an expensive trip to the dealer on Monday.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
that sentence was ok except the word "both" wtf

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cobalt60 posted:

that sentence was ok except the word "both" wtf

Both the e36 and e46 car keys.

Luckily I have a spare e36 key, I however do not have a spare e46 key and that's gonna be pricey.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
E46 M3 owner: Blew my engine lol. will put a large camaro engine in it and grow a mullet, then go to LA incognito
E46 M3 owner: Lost all my keys, my wallet, my passport and bank account information because it was snowing

E90 M3 owner: This car sure is cool
E92 M3 owner: Yep

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Curb rashed my car. Oopsy.

It's small but the black rims make it stick out like a sore thumb.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

E46 M3 owner: Blew my engine lol. will put a large camaro engine in it and grow a mullet, then go to LA incognito
E46 M3 owner: Lost all my keys, my wallet, my passport and bank account information because it was snowing

Don’t troll my mullet!!!

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Just want to say that i love my babies-first-beamer

It doesnt have that much HP but it drives soooo much better than my previous car

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Curb rashed my car. Oopsy.

It's small but the black rims make it stick out like a sore thumb.

So you posted here every step of your thousand-step purchase decision, then don't post pics when you get it, then curb it a week after? Your custom title isn't hard enough.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Lemme tell you about E61 owner.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Lemme tell you about E61 owner.

64, recently divorced, loves his kitchen island and niam stereo, works as an estate agent and is thinking of adding some decking to his rear garden

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

E34 owner: hold my beer ignition coils while i hit 250 km/h without air bags

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Popete posted:

Be me, go out drinking during a snow day and lose your apartment, work and both car keys.

Looks like I have an expensive trip to the dealer on Monday.

I read this as you getting so blind you lost your job and job in addition to your car keys. :laffo:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bape Culture posted:

64, recently divorced, loves his kitchen island and niam stereo, works as an estate agent and is thinking of adding some decking to his rear garden

Close.

Married, kids, bought N54 wagon for $3750. Basket case. Super fast, wonder what's going to break next. Leaks oil like a dam. BSD system utterly hosed. Have spare injectors, hpfp, oil level sensor, DME and charge pipe on the shelf because E61. Absolutely love the loving car and cross fingers while driving the balls off of it because it's exactly what I want for now and I hope it lasts.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Popete posted:

Both the e36 and e46 car keys.

Luckily I have a spare e36 key, I however do not have a spare e46 key and that's gonna be pricey.

Check out thebmwminipartstore for cheap OEM keys. Dealer price is ouch.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I read this as you getting so blind you lost your job and job in addition to your car keys. :laffo:

I should check my work email sent box just to be sure...

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

meatpimp posted:

So you posted here every step of your thousand-step purchase decision, then don't post pics when you get it, then curb it a week after? Your custom title isn't hard enough.
Talk about owned.

Post pics.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Martin BadClixx posted:

Just want to say that i love my babies-first-beamer

It doesnt have that much HP but it drives soooo much better than my previous car

Whatcha got?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Of course he posted pics, page 922

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ah sorry, here's my M2

RIP my first BMW: 2018-2019

This is where it collects door dings while I'm at work

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Throw them in the trash and put some TE37s on it my friend

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I've never ignored advice from a gorilla sneaker before, and I'm sure as hell not gonna start now!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Mail me your old wheels, especially if they're staggered

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Ash with a five does have a point.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Ash with a five does have a point.

He usually does, tbh.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
While cruising pick a parts for light control modules for my e39, I looked at several e53s (X5s). Wife is kind of wanting something newer than her 02 suburban, but I don't think the e53 would be enough of an improvement years wise. Anyone have an opinion on the e70 series?

Also anyone successfully done a pixel fix on a MID? I seem to just shake too much to get the ribbon cable lined up right.

Finally, if anyone needs a cheap LCMIII, let me know. I bought a bunch at the pick a part and the first one I plugged in fixed my problems. I think I have maybe 15 bucks in two more.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
$220 for a single replacement key for the e46 :stare:

Does anyone know if prices vary between dealers for keys? I called 2 and they were basically the same.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

BraveUlysses posted:

BraveUlysses posted:

BraveUlysses posted:

BraveUlysses posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I should have mentioned I already checked there, nothing comes up for my car.