Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I’d like to see that added on at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

EvilMerlin posted:

Yep. That about covers it. My best bud in Pittsburgh was one of those crazy bastards... now he is a film stunt person... go figure.
Guess he wanted the quiet life.

I'm going to have to ask mate, why are you endlessly probated?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

FrangibleCover posted:

I'm going to have to ask mate, why are you endlessly probated?

Posting in FYAD runs the risk that an idiot king will make you their pet project.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anyone who posts in FYAD deserves what they get.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Big fan of Goering?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lookin like they rolled in on himmler

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FAUXTON posted:

lookin like they rolled in on himmler

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Can someone help me find a quote? I remember an old quote (might be apocryphal) where Hitler or Himmler or someone else sees the US aircraft production numbers, and they laugh at them, because they think the numbers are ridiculous. May or may not include something like "if these are true, we already lost the war"

I think the top Nazis were pretty habitual at dismissing the manufacturing numbers the Allies were cranking out, so there are probably a lot of these. Here's one that I used in a old blog post:

quote:

Kammhuber argued that to fend off the strategic bombing campaign and the allies vastly superior aircraft production, the Night Fighter command alone would need 2160 aircraft in the west. Hitler of course, would have none of it, and ridiculed Kammhuber's estimates of Allied production, despite the fact that all the numbers came from German intelligence. “It's absolute nonsense,” Hitler shouted. “If the figures of 5000 a month were right, you would be right too. In that case, I would have to withdraw from Eastern Front forthwith, and apply all resources to air defense. But they are not right! I will not stand for such nonsense.”

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

I was reading Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass (because if you play an instrument you may as well drool over a collection of hundreds of $20,000+ instruments you'll never own in your life) and it had a picture of a mandobass, one of the earliest "bass guitars".

String lengths over 5 feet were not uncommon.

oh no
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMoOhCh_GUM

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I just realized I'd never actually thought about this. What sort of information would the Germans be using to estimate monthly Allied production numbers?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

StandardVC10 posted:

I just realized I'd never actually thought about this. What sort of information would the Germans be using to estimate monthly Allied production numbers?

They would be using cooked reports from double agents.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The allies used statistical analysis of serial numbers, a very effective method of solving what became officially known as the German Tank Problem

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think the top Nazis were pretty habitual at dismissing the manufacturing numbers the Allies were cranking out, so there are probably a lot of these. Here's one that I used in a old blog post:

Narrator: The figures were right.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Ensign Expendable posted:

Available for request:

:ussr:
Schmeisser's work in the USSR

Kalashnikov's debut works

Kalashnikov-Petrov self-loading carbine

These three please!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Narrator: The figures were right.

Actually the hilarious thing is that they were still wrong.

American production during World War II was ludicrous.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tunicate posted:

The allies used statistical analysis of serial numbers, a very effective method of solving what became officially known as the German Tank Problem

You could possibly call it the German Tank Question?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Actually the hilarious thing is that they were still wrong.

American production during World War II was ludicrous.

Lucy style clip of the conveyor belt getting turned to triple maximum output and them assembling planes and other poo poo at breakneck speed.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I think abundant access to natural resources was more valuable to America than industrial expertise honestly - never having t9 worry about steel production or access to rubber really helped America be able to focus on maximising output as opposed to making current production more efficient.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I think abundant access to natural resources was more valuable to America than industrial expertise honestly - never having t9 worry about steel production or access to rubber really helped America be able to focus on maximising output as opposed to making current production more efficient.

I thought that they were quite worried about the access to rubber.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Hogge Wild posted:

I thought that they were quite worried about the access to rubber.

The US put a lot of effort into improving the production of synthetic rubber.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNOEYN0h2sk

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

wdarkk posted:

The US put a lot of effort into improving the production of synthetic rubber.

How did it compare to other countries' synthetic rubber? I've understood that Germany was quite good at it, though I'm not certain.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nothingtoseehere posted:

we didn't have our own rubber

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

HEY GUNS posted:

we didn't have our own rubber

Well, we made our own rubber.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Panzeh posted:

:patriot:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The figure I always use to try and get the insane scale of US production across is that at peak production, the factory at Willow Run completed a B-24 once every 63 minutes. The Pacific Aviation Museum in Hawaii had a cool chart showing the difference in industrial production between the US and Japan, and the US put more shipping down in the 6 months between June and December 1943 than Japan did in the entire war. The USA in WWII was like the allies activating the infinite ammo cheat code in real life

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Panzeh posted:

The US had tons of oil which you can use to make synthetic rubber. The Germans had neither natural rubber nor much in the way of petroleum, but they did have coal and they ended up resorting to chemical wizardry to convert coal into liquid petroleum and then synthetic rubber.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Germany has coal shortages, too. :laugh:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_soldiers

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i thought borracho meant drunk

romance languages strike again

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

that's pretty drat wild. "alright here's your bed, your net, and some cigs. good luck and have fun in the jungle!!"

Tomoe Goonzen
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Don Gato posted:

The figure I always use to try and get the insane scale of US production across is that at peak production, the factory at Willow Run completed a B-24 once every 63 minutes. The Pacific Aviation Museum in Hawaii had a cool chart showing the difference in industrial production between the US and Japan, and the US put more shipping down in the 6 months between June and December 1943 than Japan did in the entire war. The USA in WWII was like the allies activating the infinite ammo cheat code in real life

The one I use is that Ford Motor Company produced more vehicles than Italy.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kangxi posted:

The one I use is that Ford Motor Company produced more vehicles than Italy.
italy still made them by hand

bespoke handcrafted artisanal all-weather fighters

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GUNS posted:

i thought borracho meant drunk

romance languages strike again

Borracho means drunk in Spanish, borracha means rubber in Portuguese. Go figure.

HEY GUNS posted:

italy still made them by hand

bespoke handcrafted artisanal all-weather fighters

The last generation of Italian fighters were actually quite well-regarded.

Quoting Eric Brown the famous British test pilot: “One of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi MC. 205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of Italian styling and German engineering. I believe it was powered by a Daimler Benz DB 605. It was really a delight to fly, and up to anything on the Allied programme. But again, it came just before the Italians capitulated so it was never used extensively. And we did tests on it and were most impressed. The cockpit was smallish but not as bad as the Bf 109.”

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 20, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The cockpit was smallish but not as bad as the Bf 109.”

Searing hot-take: the nutritional deprivation suffered by Germany in the final period of WW1 leading to shorter people was a cause for the Luftwaffe's early war success.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I know chat about battlefield v’s tiger campaign was months ago, but me and my partner just got it and no one mentioned the way better Tirailleur campaign.

The player is a black free french soldier in Operation Dragoon. The opening crawl is all :911: :france: about this brave multinational coalition fighting hand in hand to save a country they’ve never seen from nazis. The first cutscene has your character disarmed as soon as his unit hits metropolitan soil and sent to fatigue duties.

Your white french officer volunteers your dudes to storm a fortified german position that has stalled the advance, but he doesn’t accompany you.

The final cutscene, after your dudes have overrun the germans and, abandoned without orders, pushed all the way to their HQ, has the last few black tirailleurs standing given the ~honour~ of posing in a victory photo with your Brave Leader and a bunch of white french soldiers. The last lingering shot is you and your dudes getting airbrushed out of the photo and the closing crawl talks about the erasure of black french troops by De Gaulle and friends. It’s not the most profound thing in the world but it’s way more than I expect from a mainstream american fps.

Also has lots of sexy, sexy adrian helmets. Remind me why people get hard over the stalhelm again?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I don't know how to quantify the relative magnitude of the effect of access to natural resources vs industrial expertise -- however you shouldn't dismiss the importance of knowledge and practice.

We can make comparisons to other countries which also had abundant resources like Australia or Canada, and ask why they couldn't produce the same level of output? Of course their population was tiny especially in this period, and I suspect a lot of their resources still in the process of being developed. We can also make comparisons to Mexico and Brazil, countries which had modestly large populations, access to abundant resources, and long enough histories to reasonably have had time to develop them. However instead industry in these Latin American countries remained poorly developed. The reasons for these differences are obviously very complex, and the United States was afforded many lucky opportunities that gave it advantages. However its not enough just to have great opportunities, you also need the knowledge and expertise to correctly exploit it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The problem with this statement is that "making processes more efficient" generally leads to "maximizing output". Minimizing waste is the key to increasing industrial output in general.

Ample access to resources certainly helped keeping the factories fed, and it meant that US designers didn't have to accept inferior substitutes for more scarce materials, but I really, really doubt that there were many cases where US industry was faced with a "Use 10% less X per unit or Produce 10% more units in the same time" choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The last generation of Italian fighters were actually quite well-regarded.
i am by no means saying they were bad, i'm saying there were like twelve of them