Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

PostNouveau posted:

Seems like a bad use of polling. The 9% of Conservatives are saying they WOULD switch their vote and then that's being compared to 11% of Labour saying they would be "less likely" to vote.

One of these is definitive and one isn't. Less likely doesn't mean they won't.

I agree- I don't know exactly how you'd structure the poll but I think you really need to make it more of a "If one party was the party of Leave and one party was the party of Remain, who would you vote for?" and see how many would definitively say "I would switch if this were the case"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Is it mad max over there yet?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

An insane mind posted:

I thought chuds would love her stances on gay people.

no they're mad because she let in all the MOSLEM PAEDO RAPE GANGS

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

so May is refusing to change the deal, Parliament is refusing to throw May out, and Labor can't push for a second referendum because all the Lexit voters will leave or something??? (I don't really understand why or what's going on with this last one)

So unless something major happens over the next 60 days we're looking at a no-deal exit?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

SKULL.GIF posted:

so May is refusing to change the deal, Parliament is refusing to throw May out, and Labor can't push for a second referendum because all the Lexit voters will leave or something??? (I don't really understand why or what's going on with this last one)

So unless something major happens over the next 60 days we're looking at a no-deal exit?

And it's all because you don't iodize your salt.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SKULL.GIF posted:

yup

if you have anyone in the UK you care about positively - or even negatively but you'd miss locking horns with them - you should probably work on getting them out in the next three years ago but certainly now

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

remember: there are already medicine shortages and brexit hasn't happened yet!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

PostNouveau posted:

Seems like a bad use of polling. The 9% of Conservatives are saying they WOULD switch their vote and then that's being compared to 11% of Labour saying they would be "less likely" to vote.

One of these is definitive and one isn't. Less likely doesn't mean they won't.

Tory voters are never ever voting for Corbyn

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pick posted:

I'm hoping to use my collection of goon prolapse photos to trade for stuff

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Pick posted:

it's gonna be more like Doomsday except the wall is to keep the English out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Then it's really bad polling because it says 9% would

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jose posted:

Just you wait - the anti-semitism story is gonna pay off big time for Corbyn.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

May is like a mob bagman who believes she's shaking down a hapless convenience store clerk, saying "Hey I'm with you buddy, but if I don't have anything to show the man he's gonna cause trouble for us both!"

except the clerk is actually a cop

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

offer #1: do everything we want for free

eu: no

offer #2: the exact same offer, but louder

eu: no

well she's tried everything

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Did I ever tell you what the definition of Brexit is?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1086599536456486916?s=19

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i have this weird sensation that the second labour comes out for a second ref they're calling a general

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

CoolCab posted:

i have this weird sensation that the second labour comes out for a second ref they're calling a general

Is the glorious plan to burn all food reserves and medicine, then have Corbyn and a few Tories sent the A50 revocation so the English survive the winter? And then immediately call for a new snap election to get rid of the traitors who dolchstoßed the nation?
Or just plain lunacy.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

May is like a mob bagman who believes she's shaking down a hapless convenience store clerk, saying "Hey I'm with you buddy, but if I don't have anything to show the man he's gonna cause trouble for us both!"

except the clerk is actually a cop

I liked the analogy that May (And the british in general) are sticking someone up but with a gun who's barrel is pointing directly at themselves. The "Victim" just stands there in disbelief as the mugger makes their demands louder and louder till they just shoot themselves

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

CoolCab posted:

No, general election being a possibility would mean discussion of policy differences. That's Labours chance to be given a megaphone to point out that the problems people face can be solved even if we stay in the EU, and they get to say it without the establishment lying against them for once because it ultimately supports the Remain case. The GE ultimately gets blocked, it was always going to, but the 2 weeks or so pre-potential campaign coverage gives a fig leaf towards a 2nd referendum having legitimacy.

Labour need to give their Leave voters a chance to organically think Remaining wouldn't be that bad, tories need to not be responsible for brexit actually happening and also not alienate their Leave voters. Corbyns push for a GE strategy is genuinely astute and anyone who wants to stay in the EU should be getting behind it.

Everyone here thinks I'm a big brexit lover but I'm really not, I just think referendums should be honoured and super duper don't want there to be a strong right wing betrayal narrative emerging if a 2nd ref does happen. It can't just be won on demographic changes, there has to be a winning of the argument too and the lead in to the 2nd ref is a big part of that.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

"We have to give the right everything they ask for otherwise they'll invent harmful narratives of betrayal to further their agenda!" isn't a tremendously compelling argument.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

More like we have to undermine the rights betrayal narrative by forcing space for discussion of the actual issues prior to the 'betrayal moment'

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol if you think there is a plan

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1086716383730249728?s=19

A tiny shred of good news.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Prince Phillip has been spotted driving again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Baloogan posted:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i want labour to get a majority in an election but i just don't see it happening with Scotland going all in on the SNP

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Jose posted:

i want labour to get a majority in an election but i just don't see it happening with Scotland going all in on the SNP

Yeah.

God can you imagine what a clusterfuck a Lab/SNP/Lib coalition or confidence and supply arrangement would be like.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol at thinking the lib dems would be involved

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I feel like it can't have escaped the powers that be's notice that "when the media was forced to be fair under GE laws, jam man shot up in the polls"

I feel like the easy solution is they spend the GE breaking election laws with biased coverage then get a slap on the wrist after it's over. Who is gonna punish them?
Since that seems ti genuinely be how the right wing does GEs now anyway.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
All the polls are garbage anyway.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it's gonna be more like Doomsday except the wall is to keep the English out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QwqMqyXfdA

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Baloogan posted:

I think there are probably like 11 plans spread out across various Westminster factions but they just sort of float about the ether bumping into each other.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

lol at thinking the lib dems would be involved

Aye, most likely outcome is supply/demand deal for a minority Labour government because FPTP is shite

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jose posted:

have they recovered in the polls since two years ago? i guess there are a fuckton of marginals in scotland now

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

i say swears online posted:

have they recovered in the polls since two years ago? i guess there are a fuckton of marginals in scotland now

I think recent polls showed the SNP recovering most of the seats they lost in 2017.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

It's hard to know for certain because Scotland-only Westminster polls are rare and UK Scottish subsamples are rarely larger than 100 (so a lot of noise), as well as people voting totally differently for Scottish elections making that data incomparable, but all evidence points to no, still level with/just behind the Tories

marktheando posted:

I think recent polls showed the SNP recovering most of the seats they lost in 2017.

A lot of seats for both are very marginal iirc, so there could be a lot of seat changes either way on a small swing

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

marktheando posted:

scotland's interesting to me in a political system sense. there aren't many places that have that many competitive parties in FPTP

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

scotland's interesting to me in a political system sense. there aren't many places that have that many competitive parties in FPTP

Part of this nowadays is that all parties have the Scottish Parliament to build a presence in, because of the list system. The Greens are fourth of five in the Parliament and they don't even run for constituencies at all iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Obliterati posted:

Part of this nowadays is that all parties have the Scottish Parliament to build a presence in, because of the list system. The Greens are fourth of five in the Parliament and they don't even run for constituencies at all iirc

i totally forgot holyrood has another system. that explains a lot, thank you