Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

American McGay posted:

Not to go too far down the lovely topic rabbit hole but why does the term Metroidvania even exist? I mean it makes sense for SotN since it took the Castlevania series and made it like Metroid, but all these newer games are just in the style of Metroid. There's nothing Castlevania about them. The term was created by some 25 year old whose first system was the PS1. They should be called Metroidlikes, or Roidlikes for short.

when I see an item at the beginning of the game that i cant get till 90% through the game i have roidrage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's funny you say this because I watched the first episode of his Metroidvania retrospect on a whim today (it was posted over 4 years ago, where does the time go?) and he says that he didn't coin the term and the first time he saw it used was the forums on Scott Sharkey’s website.

I've been supporting Jeremy on patreon since he started but I've only recently started watching the videos he produces and they're great. I just finished the latest episode of SNES works this week and I'm planning on working my way through NES works soon, even though I'm much more interested in the SNES library as a whole.

His YT channel is excellent all around, all the Works series are great

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

American McGay posted:

Not to go too far down the lovely topic rabbit hole but why does the term Metroidvania even exist? I mean it makes sense for SotN since it took the Castlevania series and made it like Metroid, but all these newer games are just in the style of Metroid. There's nothing Castlevania about them. The term was created by some 25 year old whose first system was the PS1. They should be called Metroidlikes, or Roidlikes for short.

bloody-minded inertia. I try to say exploration-platformer or just be more specific in general because the term has been overloaded into uselessness, as words tend to do

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
On the other hand, I will greedily snatch anything labeled souls-like and shove it right into the depths of my rear end in a top hat without hesitation

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

On the other hand, I will greedily snatch anything labeled souls-like and shove it right into the depths of my rear end in a top hat without hesitation

Text me

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

KingSlime posted:

I did until The Surge or whatever

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I bought Hollow Knight on sale a few weeks ago and played for a while but I have like no motivation to go back to it. I played 3 actual Castlevanias in the meantime and enjoyed them a lot more

I hate the old "it gets good" argument but it genuinely gets great. The start is very slow but I guess it grounds you in the mechanics. The mechanics are very old school so it is a little boring and the environments are dull. It's really purposeful though and hammers home the world above being lovely remnants of a frankly fantastic civilisation below that's extremely fun to discover. You also get the pieces of the story puzzle in a dark souls show and don't tell way that I really loved.

Once the Knight gets all their tricks the battles are loving crazy good and there's some great boss design.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I got 20 hours into the game and the only places left to explore are the kingdom's edge and that sactuary or whatever, and the game never got good

Really should have stopped at 2 hours but what can i say, i love metroidvanias and had foolish hope

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

JBP posted:

I hate the old "it gets good" argument but it genuinely gets great. The start is very slow but I guess it grounds you in the mechanics. The mechanics are very old school so it is a little boring and the environments are dull. It's really purposeful though and hammers home the world above being lovely remnants of a frankly fantastic civilisation below that's extremely fun to discover. You also get the pieces of the story puzzle in a dark souls show and don't tell way that I really loved.

Once the Knight gets all their tricks the battles are loving crazy good and there's some great boss design.
I still think people who say hollow knight has a "slow" start are nuts. The game's structure practically requires that you start out very slowly and carefully prodding at the unknown that is the world of HK and then feel good about getting comfortable with it piece by piece. If you don't like it at that you won't like it later because it doesn't magically become a different game.

Also the gamefeel is so tight that you really don't need any of the abilities to have fun with the combat

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Not getting the dash until a few hours in is kind of a bummer. The game feels much slower without any of the movement upgrades.

That combined with the sporadic checkpoints, losing Geo upon death, and genuinely sprawling areas/challenging combat from the onset can make it feel like the game is going to be a bigger slog than it actually is

That said, HK is an all time top 5 game for me. It's so good

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

KingSlime posted:

Not getting the dash until a few hours in is kind of a bummer. The game feels much slower without any of the movement upgrades.

That combined with the sporadic checkpoints, losing Geo upon death, and genuinely sprawling areas can make it feel like the game is going to be a bigger slog than it actually is

One great thing about playing on switch is suspending the game, which takes out the annoying start at bench you had to put up with on PC. I get people not liking those systems but I reckon they work. I also can't remember ever losing my geo, it's never that hard to retrieve*

* If you're very impatient or rushing this might not be true.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Inzombiac posted:

I did until The Surge or whatever

Yeah same. I really wanted to like The Surge because hey it's a sci-fi horror Souls game but the difficulty is way out of whack and everything looks the same. It had some cool ideas though, like I loved seeing a piece of armor on a guy and going "I want that armor" so I cut the piece of it off them for my own use.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Fat Thick Pregnant Anime

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
I wish I liked Hollow Knight; everyone talks about how amazing it is. I tried to watch an LP of it and it literally put me asleep after about 5 or 6 episodes. The lack of combat variety (all you have is Sword, Projectile and Butt Slam) is probably what did it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Simon The Digger posted:

I wish I liked Hollow Knight; everyone talks about how amazing it is. I tried to watch an LP of it and it literally put me asleep after about 5 or 6 episodes. The lack of combat variety (all you have is Sword, Projectile and Butt Slam) is probably what did it.

I don't get this. It's like the opponents don't exist? There are so many bosses that are all different. I don't really use the slam or projectile for anything other than getting into a new area or clearing an annoying regular mob due to laziness.

E: like the best way to play is with stuff like sharp shadow and dash master to become an everywhere at once, hyper mobile ninja maniac.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

No Metroidvania has yet to come close to Super Metroid.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've played through most of Hollow Knight and i don't even remember any of the bosses. Really, the only enemies i distinctly remember are the armored spiders (gently caress off forever pls), the big club bugs cause it's the first one to ever kill me, and uuuh...
Oh i guess the laser crystal dude, i remember that one. Probably becuase i fought him twice.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

NienNunb posted:

No Metroidvania has yet to come close to Super Metroid.

SOTN, Super Metroid and Zero Mission are the Holy Trinity, the DS games and Aria are the apostles. Hollow Knight is Judas :troll:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Wouldn't Judas technically be other m?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Nergigante posted:

SOTN, Super Metroid and Zero Mission are the Holy Trinity, the DS games and Aria are the apostles. Hollow Knight is Judas :troll:

Switch Aria for SOTN or SM, and we have a deal

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Judas is technically the hero because he enabled Jesus to end all sin :angel:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'd complain about how the indie game flavor-of-the-moment is Metroidvania, but there was a time when I was loudly wondering why every indie game was a roguelike, so I guess things move in cycles.

Speaking of which, I haven't played The Messenger in a while.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

bushisms.txt posted:

Wouldn't Judas technically be other m?

Other M is Barrabas. Fusion is Pontius Pilate.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

BrotherFish posted:

Just got a switch. I travel a bunch for work. Curious if anyone has any recommendations for a reliable usb-c adapter so I can use the switch on hotel TVs without needing to bring the dock.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Due to USB C fuckery, third party docks have a good chance of permanently bricking your Switch. Don't use them unless you want to destroy your system.
The Insignia Switch Dock from Best Buy is the only third-party dock that has not been reported to brick the Switch.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nintendo-switch-insignia-dock-kit-review-2018-1

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/7i00cs/best_buy_insignia_switch_dock_teardown_and/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3y6I694dbg

That said, it is not that much smaller than the regular dock at about half the size, but it is also half the price, including a power adapter and HDMI cable. It's not a teeny tiny travel size dock, but it may be small enough for your needs.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 20, 2019

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Switch Aria for SOTN or SM, and we have a deal

No deal you sick pervert

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

drat now I guess I have to get it since ya’ll killed that guy.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Hollow Knight is the best game that I did not enjoy whatsoever.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like videogames

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

This sums up my feelings. The art style, the combat, just the whole deal was not my thing. But I fully admit that it’s a personal preference issue.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Your Computer posted:

I like videogames

:frogout:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

I like videogames
eh

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Other M is Barrabas. Fusion is Pontius Pilate.

I respect fusion for at least expanding the mythos in a good way and playing well.
The Samus Returns remake on the 3DS was close to being good but hosed it up with some baffling design choices.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

This would also be my review of Hollow Knight. I didn’t enjoy one aspect of it but I’d still recommend it to most people that want a metroidvania.

Super Metroid is still the best. SOTN would be close for me but navigating the inverted castle kinda sucks.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I respect fusion for at least expanding the mythos in a good way and playing well.
The Samus Returns remake on the 3DS was close to being good but hosed it up with some baffling design choices.

Fusion was a pretty good game but it paved the way for Other M

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I just found out the the guys who did the Samus Returns remake also did the Lords of Shadow trilogy and suddenly those baffling design decisions make sense

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'll be happy as hell if they release Super Metroid on the switch.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Your Computer posted:

I like videogames

This isn't something you should just go around admitting.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I just found out the the guys who did the Samus Returns remake also did the Lords of Shadow trilogy and suddenly those baffling design decisions make sense

Samus Returns was good though unlike those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Samus Returns was good though unlike those games.

The counter system was goofy and the giant robot fight at the end was loving dogshit.
Scrap those two things and it's almost perfect.