Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I wish Ozawa would just gently caress off and die already.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hESLPB3FiyY

It basically says that Japan isn't suffering from populism and that's due to four big things or something like that.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
There's no room for populism in Japan because basically everything that populists run on has been fully implemented in Japan for its entire post-war history.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Depends on what you mean by populism.

Obviously there far-right groups in Japan, and Abe clearly shares a lot of their views, although he's weirdly pragmatic about it. He proposed some fascist-sounding constitutional amendments a while back, but in the face of public opposition he backed down and watered the proposals way down to essentially just making the JSDF explicitly constitutional, and it's unclear whether he'll succeed even at that.

I think EasternBronze is only half-right; while Japan does already have jus sanguinis citizenship and very limited immigration, far-right "populists" around the world generally want rather worse things than that.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hESLPB3FiyY

It basically says that Japan isn't suffering from populism and that's due to four big things or something like that.

lol the literal Koch foundation

Also a hearty lol at a libertarian organization lauding Japan

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

"Populism" is a euphemism/dogwhistle for fascism. They want fascism.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

What part of modern Japan doesn't fit perfectly into a typical populist platform?

Immigration is kept to a minimum, domestic corporate interests dictate major policy, visible minorities do not exist outside of entertainment, am I missing something here?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It’s run by elites who keep a low public profile, prefer that people don’t vote and don’t involve themselves in politics, and have such contempt for the realm of public reason and debate that the government ministries literally just make up data for public disclosure and destroy as many records as they can before the public can get their hands on them, and nothing is ever done about it? I’d think that that pretty much disqualifies Japan from the label of ‘populist’

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

LimburgLimbo posted:

lol the literal Koch foundation

Also a hearty lol at a libertarian organization lauding Japan

Ian Bremmer is a regular on the centrist pundit circuit, writes for the likes of CNN and the Washington Post. He’s probably happy to take Koch money but he’s not really a libertarian. He exemplifies a pretty interesting phenomenon IMO, where that class of people have warmed up to Japan a lot over the last couple years, I feel like. 10 or 15 years ago Japan was the butt of jokes among those people, today they’re citing it as an example. The New York Times and Guardian still don’t like Japan very much, but I feel like they’re sort of resigned to the fact that all of the racist gawking and mockery they can put out didn’t have any effect on changing Japan’s behavior more in line with what white expat liberals would like. Meanwhile center-right elites are still securely in the saddle in Japan. The neoliberal-populist Regime Change rhetoric of the Koizumi and Ozawa days is gone, both in the LDP and the opposition. So in the eyes of the average WaPo columnist Japan is looking pretty good, and I think a lot of them are going to pretend that the last 30 years just didn't happen

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 20, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

EasternBronze posted:

What part of modern Japan doesn't fit perfectly into a typical populist platform?

Immigration is kept to a minimum, domestic corporate interests dictate major policy, visible minorities do not exist outside of entertainment, am I missing something here?

As I said, there's populism and then there's "populism". People like to use populism in the sense of "what the people want" as a way to say "gently caress the browns and gays". The modern concept of the word "populism" is racism, bigotry, xenophobia, unfettered inequality in wealth and rights, and absolute contempt for anyone that doesn't fit a very specific profile.

Let me put it this way: Trump is considered "populist".

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

As I said, there's populism and then there's "populism". People like to use populism in the sense of "what the people want" as a way to say "gently caress the browns and gays". The modern concept of the word "populism" is racism, bigotry, xenophobia, unfettered inequality in wealth and rights, and absolute contempt for anyone that doesn't fit a very specific profile.

Let me put it this way: Trump is considered "populist".

I guess we are in agreement here, because these all describe Japan pretty well.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

As long as we mean "populism" and not populism :shrug:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

He seems to think that Japan won't experience a Brexit or Trump situation.

I also got a kick out of him saying that the American economy is "good" for working people.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I mean, japan is staggeringly anti-democratic and would seem prime for a populist reformer along the lines of andrew jackson. how such a figure could emerge in a one-party state is another matter

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I would find the prospect very unlikely, for the basic fact that Japan's median age is around 50. The aging majority of the country is not going to vote for anything except bleeding the minority of young, working-age people dry.

mystes
May 31, 2006

EasternBronze posted:

I would find the prospect very unlikely, for the basic fact that Japan's median age is around 50. The aging majority of the country is not going to vote for anything except bleeding the minority of young, working-age people dry.
It's not like the LDP is necessarily doing that much in the way of siphoning money from young people and giving it to old people, though? If that was their main goal they would increase income taxes rather than the consumption tax and stop trying to do stuff like increase how much older people pay for medical insurance. The main way they like to help older people is by efforts to "revitalize rural areas" (which have much older populations in the cities) but to the extent that this isn't pure lip service, it's more about funneling money to business interests.

Since the LDP is already pretty conservative politically, it would be pretty hard for them to be defeated by a farther right party, but it's not like they're even that popular (all the other parties are just less popular) so a local politician who gets enough momentum could turn that into a political movement at the national level, although all the attempts to do that recently have failed pretty miserably.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I wonder what Japanese Trump would be like?

Japanese Bolsonaro?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Japanese Bolsonaro?

I remember hearing that Yuriko Koike's party wore hats saying Make Japan Great Again.

But not all right wing populists are identical. She might be very different from Trump in her overall goals for all I know.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

Japanese Bolsonaro?
Definitely Ishihara.

mystes
May 31, 2006

There is no Japanese Trump at this point. There would need to be someone who can tie right wing ideology together with economic issues in a convincing way and nobody has been able to do that.

Ishihara is definitely nothing like Trump and if I had to name someone I would say Makoto Sakurai but he's too blatant about hate speech and his attempt to run for governor of Tokyo didn't go very well.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The fixation on Japanese Koreans when they're less than 1% of the population is crazy to me. I guess if people wanna be racist they'll find someone to be racist against.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

The fixation on Japanese Koreans when they're less than 1% of the population is crazy to me. I guess if people wanna be racist they'll find someone to be racist against.

Dude there was a persecuted type of french people we only know exist because of the laws and rules blocking them from certain aspects of civil society but they seem to have seemlessly integrated because we have no records of what exactly defined these people and after a certain point nobody was being blocked by the rules.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mystes posted:

There is no Japanese Trump at this point. There would need to be someone who can tie right wing ideology together with economic issues in a convincing way and nobody has been able to do that.

Ishihara is definitely nothing like Trump and if I had to name someone I would say Makoto Sakurai but he's too blatant about hate speech and his attempt to run for governor of Tokyo didn't go very well.

Oh yes, I remember that dumpy Nobita-looking twat. I recall he tried to debate Hashimoto about something (probably Koreans), and was told to gently caress off because he's literally too racist to debate against.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Barudak posted:

Dude there was a persecuted type of french people we only know exist because of the laws and rules blocking them from certain aspects of civil society but they seem to have seemlessly integrated because we have no records of what exactly defined these people and after a certain point nobody was being blocked by the rules.

The Cagots, yeah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cagot

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxS-qKIkWpE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHJsoCAREsg

Japan the next America? :O

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 21, 2019

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Ah poo poo I was wondering if there had been a change in how many of the right wing textbooks were being used.

Back in 2005 only 0.4% of textbooks were the right wing ones, in 2009 it was 1.7%, 2011 jumped to 4%, and in 2015 was up to about 6%.

So use is on the rise unfortunately. The company has for a long time said their goal was 10% if history textbooks. On the other hand though people that say that all Japanese textbooks are these crazy right wing things are definitely wrong, but the right wing control of education in Japan is definitely growing stronger.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

On the bright side there isn't much of a next generation in Japan to indoctrinate anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Speaking of the right wing:

https://twitter.com/pinknews/status/1088685403450806274?s=21

It’s not like I expect the Japanese government to do the right thing, but :yikes:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

It’s not like I expect the Japanese government to do the right thing, but :yikes:

This is more offensive than refusing to recognize transpeople to me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is more offensive than refusing to recognize transpeople to me.
:same:

Pollyanna posted:

technically it's an extremely "right" thing to do...

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

quote:

Japan has among the toughest and most employee-friendly labour laws of any developed economy, says Pete Millett, director of recruitment firm People Services International. "Even though staff cuts are obviously necessary in the current economy and are definitely taking place here, they remain quite difficult to implement," he says.

Yasuhiro Fujii, an employment law partner at Baker & McKenzie GJBJ Tokyo Aoyama Aoki Koma Law Office, agrees that Japan's labour laws are tough compared to the US or even Europe. And he explains that when making redundancies for business reasons, four strict requirements have been established for employers to properly justify dismissals.

"First, the employer must have a financial need to reduce the number of employees, sufficiently based on a business slump, decline or depression affecting the employer," he says.

Secondly, the employer must also have exhausted all efforts to avoid dismissals in restructuring.

"Primarily, the employer should be able to show that it has made every effort to, among other things, cut overhead costs, place restrictions on overtime work, suspend hiring and transfers, second or transfer employees to related parties, terminate temporary staff from agencies and part-time workers, grant temporary leaves and temporary layoffs, and implement a voluntary termination scheme," Fujii says.

Finally, the employer must use objective standards and a fair application of those standards in targeting the employees to be dismissed, and must follow proper procedures.

This and the fact that Japan has the most equal distribution of wealth in the world. And also the highest estate tax in the world. This poo poo is really perplexing, how it coexists with the popular image of salarymen working themselves to death, something most people would assume is a byproduct of a laissez-faire capitalist system

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Graphic posted:

This and the fact that Japan has the most equal distribution of wealth in the world. And also the highest estate tax in the world. This poo poo is really perplexing, how it coexists with the popular image of salarymen working themselves to death, something most people would assume is a byproduct of a laissez-faire capitalist system

What exactly are you basing this statistic on? Nothing I've ever seen indicates this is even close to true.

As far as the estate tax, I would assume that people simply skirt around it by hiding their wealth behind the corporate veil. My former boss inherited his company from his father who founded it, I sincerely doubt he paid 60% of the value of the company in taxes upon the founder's death.

As far as employment laws go, yeah as written they are pretty great. Did you know housing discrimination is also against the law in Japan? Who could have thought?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

as i understand it the salaryman thing is in large part because office workers get a major chunk of their pay in the form of bonuses, which means that you want to look as though you're working very hard, spending long hours etc

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

EasternBronze posted:

What exactly are you basing this statistic on? Nothing I've ever seen indicates this is even close to true.

Probably from this.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

The table below is for 2000, and is based on purchasing power parity (PPP) dollars,

I'm more inclined to believe these post-great recession statistics.

Something tells me however that the current government in Tokyo isn't going to be submitting these salaries into the wealth distribution statistics. Assuming that the officially reported figures are even reliable at all.

EasternBronze fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 13, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

as i understand it the salaryman thing is in large part because office workers get a major chunk of their pay in the form of bonuses, which means that you want to look as though you're working very hard, spending long hours etc

Bonuses aren’t usually based off of performance, for most of the big companies they’re negotiated annually by the union and management. (My company does this). This will be different in purely white-collar companies but then the standards are disclosed.

That discussion also ignores that over the last generation, the number of full-time full employees has decreased and the number on contracts - easier to cut and with less benefits - has grown. And the contract issue has definitely impacted the salaries of those in the Gen X and Millennial cohorts in Japan.

mystes
May 31, 2006

CEOs aren't generally making as much in Japan as other places, so if you look at CEOs vs white collar workers maybe Japan doesn't look that bad in terms of inequality, but as harperdc is saying, how often salarymen are fired seems almost irrelevant when you consider all the other factors such as the rapidly increasing number of temp/contract workers, (it's like like 40% of total workers now I think).

Also certain recent news stories make me wonder how reliable the reported salaries for CEOs are anyway.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Pollyanna posted:

Can someone explain why that's a requirement? I mean cruelty is the point but they got to justify it somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

drilldo squirt posted:

Can someone explain why that's a requirement? I mean cruelty is the point but they got to justify it somehow.
Lots of countries and a bunch of US states have laws requiring surgery in order to be able to change your legal gender.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 13, 2019