Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AtraMorS posted:

AV Club also noted that the Doug is a Lerpiss (which is a Parks & Rec reference that I didn't know existed) and he's from Snerling, Ind., which was about 40 minutes outside Pawnee.

The bad tomato came from Food & Stuff too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Also it implies that they died "recently"

Please point to “recently” on Jeremy Bearimy.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I assume it's been brought up, but seeing her this week made me realise; does the fact that Mindy got sent to the medium place make her the best human in 500 years?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Junkenstein posted:

I assume it's been brought up, but seeing her this week made me realise; does the fact that Mindy got sent to the medium place make her the best human in 500 years?

Maybe the cocaine was locally sourced.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Slamhound posted:

Please point to “recently” on Jeremy Bearimy.

Wherever they are on it, it's the spot next to it. Also three other spots.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Probably just that being under the influence of hard drugs meant that her motivations couldn't have been corrupted and the fact that she died before even putting the plan into action meant that she wasn't responsible for any of the consequences or compromises that would have been an inevitable part of it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

Ironically the very thing that kept her out of the good place = her premature death before she could technically gain the points for making the charity = was also what made her not have time to go and lose the theoretical points she would have gained.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...That's probably it actually. Intentions obviously matter, and Mindy got the perfect storm, perfectly pure intentions that would help millions, but no actions to cancel out the positive from ripple effects.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

...That's probably it actually. Intentions obviously matter, and Mindy got the perfect storm, perfectly pure intentions that would help millions, but no actions to cancel out the positive from ripple effects.

Mindy herself admits that had she not died, she probably would have just blown all her money on cocaine and never actually gotten around to doing any of the work.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Piell posted:

What if Kamilah is one of the new 4

I was really expecting the first person to be Eleanor’s mother.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Holy poo poo this episode, how do they keep blowing up the status quo and get away with it. :stare:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Another thing I realized: that video of Harper teaching Danson how to do the floss that was going around a while ago turned out to actually be relevant to the show instead of just backstage screwing around.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd expected each of the new four to be related to each of the four humans, but maybe New Guy 1 is just an unintended consequence of Eleanor's life or something? Or someone Tahani's charity work indirectly affected.

So we might not see Pillboy, but some old lady Pillboy took care of at his nursing home job.

I was also really expecting a fakeout with Chidi considering how uncharacteristically confident he's been the last couple of episodes, but if neither Shawn/Sean or the Judge picked up on it....

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
The four people will probably be related to our original four.
Eleanor's Dad
Kamilah
Simone
Who would rattle Jason? His Dad? Pillboi?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Rather than riling him up, Pillboi or Donkey Doug might be effective at dragging Jason down.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Andrew_1985 posted:

The four people will probably be related to our original four.
Eleanor's Dad
Kamilah
Simone
Who would rattle Jason? His Dad? Pillboi?

But we just saw one of them

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

double nine posted:

And the finale ends continues mid-way with Michael replaced by VikiMichael.

The fact we didn't see Michael tell Eleanor about that definitely makes me think it will come up again.

Also given that the trial is to last a year and have no resets I wonder what happens to the new humans if they figure out they aren't in the real Good Place.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With the memory erasure threat there seems to be an easy way around that: Tell the humans that it's a fake Michael, but also if they let on that they know that that they're memories will be erased, so to keep that knowledge to themselves and just not let Shawn know that they know. Jason would be the main problem with that idea working though.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Michael - Season 1 episode 1 posted:

During your time on Earth, - every one of your actions had a positive or a negative value, depending on how much good or bad that action put into the universe.
- Every sandwich you ate, - - every time you bought a magazine, - every single thing you did had an effect that rippled out over time and ultimately created some amount of good or bad.

The first episode said in clear terms what they all seem suprised about now.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Ah, what the hell, I may as well make some wrong guesses too:
  • Somehow the demons sneak one of themselves in to sabotage everything
  • All the people are nobodies, and the plot barely involves them
  • The Janet/Derek-people get too smart
  • One of the people is a dream partner for someone, chosen to make them jealous/conflicted and incite conflict in the group
  • All of the people have normal but irritating qualities, chosen to torture the main four like in Michael's original plan
  • Someone sacrifices themselves and gets written off the show

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

alas, if only they had listened to sonic:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Isn't the difference now being that the goal isn't to torture the new humans? The Janet babies aren't gonna be able to torture them as well as demons could, Michael is softer, and the original humans mostly only bonded together because their entire universe was conspiring against them to make them miserable. Since the hosts of the new neighbourhood actually have empathy now, this could be trickier.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

It’s not that they didn’t know this but they didn’t realize what the actual implications of such a thing were (or didn’t care at the time since Michael was still just an evil demon functionary at that point). Knowing something broadly and then seeing what that actually practically means are two different things.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

uvar posted:

• One of the people is a dream partner for someone, chosen to make them jealous/conflicted and incite conflict in the group

Oh poo poo. Stone Cold Steve Austin cameo incoming.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

A Sometimes Food posted:

Don't get my hopes up!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the contrast between how afterlife entities view the Earth. Michael is always excited to visit and try out new human things, it's fun for him, partially because most of the negative stuff doesn't affect him as hard due to presenting as a white male but also because as a demon he never had to care until now about the fact that it was inherently unfair - as long as he got to ride a bus and buy a gumball he was happy.

However the Judge has always been responsible for all the judgements and keeping things fair, so visiting the Earth for her isn't just "Human Body Tourism" like it was for Michael - he was there to get 4 people together, a relatively easy thing to do. She was there trying to live a good life to prove a point that she made very boorishly, and rudely had the rug pulled out from under her. Unlike Michael, her trip has called her entire line of work into question w/r/t how fair she was being.

I also like how clear it is that these aren't people - they are supernatural entities. The Judge isn't a woman called Maya Rudolph, she is a cosmic force designed specifically to keep the balance in check so it literally never occurred to her what her form looked like, who cares, it's just her burrito delivery system. Even the Demon's probably don't exhibit the same behaviours toward her that they do to female humans, because they don't think of her as a woman in the same way Janet isn't a woman. Her body is irrelevant in the afterlife, she is The Judge. Always has been, always will be. Even if Trevor had had a female form himself, he still would have behaved to Eleanor the same way, because he wasn't being sexist because he was a man and she was a woman, he was just being terrible because he is a demon and his place is to make her uncomfortable.

Edit: Wow I way over thought that last part.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 19, 2019

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Regy Rusty posted:

But we just saw one of them

Elanor gave a little 'Oh?' when she saw the guy. Plus she doesn't know who her dad is!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Elanor gave a little 'Oh?' when she saw the guy. Plus she doesn't know who her dad is!

We've literally seen both her parents during a flashback when kid Eleanor gave them papers so she could legally live on her own.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

ApplesandOranges posted:

We've literally seen both her parents during a flashback when kid Eleanor gave them papers so she could legally live on her own.

Good point!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

After especially this season I'm just done predicting the next plot directions, I'm along for the ride.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

uvar posted:

Ah, what the hell, I may as well make some wrong guesses too:
  • Somehow the demons sneak one of themselves in to sabotage everything
  • All the people are nobodies, and the plot barely involves them
  • The Janet/Derek-people get too smart
  • All of the people have normal but irritating qualities, chosen to torture the main four like in Michael's original plan
  • Someone sacrifices themselves and gets written off the show

My guess is that since Janet can make people and now we know people who Janet makes can make people, that all the people in the new fake Good Place just start popping out people leading to the title of the finale.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Given that Derek is still a little buggy, I'd imagine that his participation in the creation process is going to be a factor in how hosed things get

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

A Sometimes Food posted:

His head? Or his body? Follow up question: will the other other half of the still be taken Tahani? Or are we hoping for Stone Cold Mailman Chidi?

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Just binged the entire show over three days.

How is it so good?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

this is the good place, which is fine.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

LifeLynx posted:

My favorite detail in this episode was the revelation that the humans in Michael's experiment got better because they were removed from the complications of modern life.

i would probably improve as a person if i lived in an idyllic town where i could just eat some fro-yo and take philosophy classes :v:

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
Did anyone else notice what looked like a tiny Trevor flying across the screen at the beginning of the episode when they were walking on the space catwalk with all the tubes?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

King of Foolians posted:

Did anyone else notice what looked like a tiny Trevor flying across the screen at the beginning of the episode when they were walking on the space catwalk with all the tubes?

I have no idea if that's Trevor but it makes sense that it would be and it is definitely an awesome detail either way, great catch!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Isn't the difference now being that the goal isn't to torture the new humans? The Janet babies aren't gonna be able to torture them as well as demons could, Michael is softer, and the original humans mostly only bonded together because their entire universe was conspiring against them to make them miserable. Since the hosts of the new neighbourhood actually have empathy now, this could be trickier.
Yeah, this is my guess because it ties into the show's soft metafiction. They'll try to give the newbies a Good Place free of "all the variables that make life on Earth hard," and they'll be shocked to discover the new characters don't grow or change. Without Michael's sitcom torture scenarios, these new dirtbags will run amok with the Janet babies, leading to oh... you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

King of Foolians posted:

That was Chidi.