Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Still have three tasks to complete but so far, no shiny. My wife got one about 10 minutes before the event ended at least.

One sonuvabitch in my raid group got FIVE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Not a single shiny in about 10 tasks. Not surprised or sure I even care at this point.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Take the Marie Kondo approach to shinies. Does the shiny spark joy? If not, thank it and throw it in the trash.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

seiferguy posted:

Take the Marie Kondo approach to shinies. Does the shiny spark joy? If not, thank it and throw it in the trash.
bye bye shiny cynadquil

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Shiny Feebas on task number 4, Shiny Tallow in the wild. Good day.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
12 shiny out of 17

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Yeah, this event felt incredibly boring from the onset. Half the stops had egg quests we tossed till we tripled up on catch ones. Did that a few times, then decided to give up and do a couple Groudon raids since it was sunny and we can trio them alone. No shiny Groudon, but a couple good ones and silver pinap bonus candy since we got 16 or 18 balls each time and he's easy to hit.

Alt account found a shiny 98%, that is probably getting traded to our daughter. IVs will probably be awful, but milotic is useless except as gym eye candy. She has a 80" long milotic plush on her bed so I don't think she cares.

Still got a couple quests left, and actually saw a wild feebas on a walk around the block this evening.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Regular Milotic is prettier, really.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
0 shinies, highest is a 96% out of 16. I've got one quest left, but my hopes aren't all that high.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

bowmore posted:

bye bye shiny cynadquil

This and chikorita. Ive got 5 or something stupid like that of each.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

bowmore posted:

12 shiny out of 17

WHAT

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I didn't know this was going to be only one task per pokestop, what a wet fart of an event, all I got to spin were 4, for 3 regulars and a walk for candy task that is TBC

If I'd known it was going to be like that I'd have gone into the CBD instead, where they have a pokestop every 30 metres

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i'm just loving with you

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Dammit it worked :argh:

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Pretty bad event, but I got lucky. Shiny halfway through and two 100%s in the stack of non-shinies I saved for later.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

How do type bonuses from medals factor in? Like I have +3 on everything except dark, ghost, steel, fairy, fighting, and dragon at this point, and +2 on those except dragon. What exactly does that actually mean?

Stroop There It Is posted:

am I moron for wasting 12 golden razzes on a Groudon that I couldn't catch with 9 Excellent, 2 Great and 1 regular throw? I barely ever do raids and don't know if the golden razz actually did anything cuz I couldn't tell if the ring color changed

I don't know how this chart reflects legendaries with double typing and if you have gold in one type and not in the other, but enjoy this infographic about your chances. Curve balls almost doubles your chances. Like this graph and what people have said, your best shot is only a roughly 16% to catch it if you match every condition. In even rougher math, that means you should catch it with 1 in every 6-7 of these perfect throws.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

TheEye posted:

Pretty bad event, but I got lucky. Shiny halfway through and two 100%s in the stack of non-shinies I saved for later.

I have (probably) bad news for you about these hundos...

117cp can be both two varieties of 98% and the actual hundo. The only way to know is appraise it or evolve it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Last three tasks and no shiny.

I think the worst part is the people who are complaining about the people who complain, and saying it took hard work and lots of luck, when literally it's all random. One dude on a Facebook page took immense pains to point out mathematically the more stops you did the better chance you had, for example he did 15 tasks, and got two shinies, which is why the dude above him that only did eight tasks got zero. When I pointed out I did 25 and got zero, he broke back to the well it took hard work to get his 15 done.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Too many people do not understand how statistics work, including whomever designed this event. Got a couple more tasks today to knock out, but I'm not hopeful. More likely to get a Groudon, which is really what I want.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Beastyfella posted:

Too many people do not understand how statistics work, including whomever designed this event. Got a couple more tasks today to knock out, but I'm not hopeful. More likely to get a Groudon, which is really what I want.

Some neat rabbit holes to follow down this one. First off, the informal Reddit poll: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/aholk4/a_simpler_shiny_feebas_poll/ Pretty interesting results - if the numbers are true, America/APAC got 1 in 20ish whereas Europe got 1 in 36.5? 1 in 20 seems realistic compared to the normal 1 in 24 Community Day spawn rate (especially if a lot of people said gently caress it and left as soon as they got their shiny). I don't know what's up with those Europe numbers although I believe them because I got jack poo poo. I'm not a huge fan of this research-centric 3-hour event setup in general, but especially not in the middle of winter. In fact I really don't see an issue if they'd made it a month-long research event that you occasionally got from stops, it's not like Feebas is the Meta King or anything.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Both raid catching and event quests would be greatly improved by a multiplier bonus for every unlucky roll.

If you hit 9 Great curveballs on a Kyogre, the 10th should be like 50%. Make it +1% for every broken regular curve, +3% for a Nice, +5% for Great, +7% for Excellent. Something like that.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I enjoy being randomly challenged to battle, but I'm universally trying to do something else whenever it happens.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Beastyfella posted:

This. Yall gotta understand ground type Pokemon have the most mileage in the fight against legendaries and Groudon is probably going to be the best of the best of them. Now go try and get a gold one and even if you don't, you end up with good soldiers for your team. They're also super easy to throw excellent curve balls at.

I'm in the same boat where I'll slowly collect my Feebas over the next two days but I'm doubtful I'll get a shiny. Since it was a pseudo-event thing, there's a good chance some people have extras. Walking around yesterday talking to local players, some people who aren't even hard raiders and are just casually playing got multiples so I might be able to trade with some people. And it's not bad to remember Feebas is now technically in the shiny pool so you may get one later on, who knows.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Froist posted:

I have (probably) bad news for you about these hundos...

117cp can be both two varieties of 98% and the actual hundo. The only way to know is appraise it or evolve it.

Nope, cleared out the stack after the event and they're both 100%. Lucky indeed.

edit: Also traded off all the trash ones and ended up with a 93-96% lucky. Not sure I've ever had such a successful event since the start of the game, even though it was bad for most. The shiny had bad IVs but whatever.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 20, 2019

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
No one around here has extras they are willing to trade. Well, one dude on Facebook has a semi auction going with many people offering various shinies, and he says he'll pick one at the end of today. I don't doubt PMs are going around with cash offers too.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Well, we lucked out today. While at the zoo, the last of my feebas quests finally cashed in, and my very last got a shiny, even if it's low IV, who cares. Now we both have one.

Kid got a really good shiny Groudon while were out trioing them, and she even got a shiny lv1 swellow.

Did one Groudon with a bigger group randomly since they were all there too. Thank goodness for best friend balls and half the people using trash fighters so we did a lot more damage (used grass fighters on a sunny fireblast moveset since there were 17 people fighting) I think we got 12ish balls, which is still a ton more than the last time these bosses were out. That was the only Groudon one account missed out on so far, out of about 7 or 8 raids.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Prop Wash posted:

Some neat rabbit holes to follow down this one. First off, the informal Reddit poll: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/aholk4/a_simpler_shiny_feebas_poll/ Pretty interesting results - if the numbers are true, America/APAC got 1 in 20ish whereas Europe got 1 in 36.5? 1 in 20 seems realistic compared to the normal 1 in 24 Community Day spawn rate (especially if a lot of people said gently caress it and left as soon as they got their shiny). I don't know what's up with those Europe numbers although I believe them because I got jack poo poo. I'm not a huge fan of this research-centric 3-hour event setup in general, but especially not in the middle of winter. In fact I really don't see an issue if they'd made it a month-long research event that you occasionally got from stops, it's not like Feebas is the Meta King or anything.

The discrepancies in Europe could be due to the fact that not everyone in Europe speaks English so a lot of players there wouldn't use the Silph Road reddit.

It was still a bullshit event though. I managed to snag one at least but most people in my area seemed to miss out. Didn't even really get to walk with friends like you usually can because everyone was on different quests so most people had split up and were going round solo, exactly what you want from a "community" event...

Also I never really liked Feebas anyway, this event made me hate it all the more.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dragonstoned posted:

The discrepancies in Europe could be due to the fact that not everyone in Europe speaks English so a lot of players there wouldn't use the Silph Road reddit.

It was still a bullshit event though. I managed to snag one at least but most people in my area seemed to miss out. Didn't even really get to walk with friends like you usually can because everyone was on different quests so most people had split up and were going round solo, exactly what you want from a "community" event...

Also I never really liked Feebas anyway, this event made me hate it all the more.
The sample size for EMEA (38k encounters) was almost as big as the Americas (43k); it'd need to be something else causing the discrepancy.

Other than that, agreed: event was lame.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wife and I pain trained like a dozen Kyogre/Groudon raids. We walked away with almost a full squad of each.

I got a 95.6 shiny Groudon too.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What's the word on stacking alt accounts in gyms?
There's a gym in my area that's stacked with at least two sets of two alts (One set super obvious too, it's the same name just with VV instead of W for the other). They've held it for 3, nearly 4 days straight now. It's borderline impossible to take this gym down since the instant you start hitting it they'll berrying at least one of them. Leave it for a few minutes and the whole gym will be berried back to full health.
Alright fine I'll leave that gym alone, there is 7 gyms within 10 minutes walking distance (Stop/Gym density is kinda hosed here). Five of the six players are now in two of the other gyms in the area, same tactics they'll berry up between attacks on the gym.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I uh, had one chance to get a task before I got on a plane and missed the whole event, and it gave me a shiny Feebas.

My surprise when I started seeing articles the next day about outrageously low drop rates for shiny makes me think I should have got some scratch cards instead if I was gonna burn my luck on something.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Croccers posted:

What's the word on stacking alt accounts in gyms?
There's a gym in my area that's stacked with at least two sets of two alts (One set super obvious too, it's the same name just with VV instead of W for the other). They've held it for 3, nearly 4 days straight now. It's borderline impossible to take this gym down since the instant you start hitting it they'll berrying at least one of them. Leave it for a few minutes and the whole gym will be berried back to full health.
Alright fine I'll leave that gym alone, there is 7 gyms within 10 minutes walking distance (Stop/Gym density is kinda hosed here). Five of the six players are now in two of the other gyms in the area, same tactics they'll berry up between attacks on the gym.
Are you asking from a "do people think this is uncool" perspective or an "is this allowed" perspective? For the former, yeah, I'd consider it a pretty cheesy thing to do. For the latter, Niantic considers having multiple accounts to be cheating, period:

quote:

Methods of cheating, unfortunately, are limited only by cheaters’ imaginations, but include at a minimum the following: using modified or unofficial software; playing with multiple accounts (one account per player, please); sharing accounts; using tools or techniques to alter or falsify your location; or selling/trading accounts.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

theres definitely a bunch of doods (or one dood) who teleports around chucking blisseys, chanseys, snorlaxes and gardevoirs into gyms around melbourne and then golden razzing them when you try and beat them up. i honestly thought it was a bunch of good friends driving around taking over gyms having a good time but then i learned about spoofing and thats super lame imo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But you can't cash out coins unless you let them be knocked out!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

But you can't cash out coins unless you let them be knocked out!

Some people just like to be dicks.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Or they do like at least one guy here locally who will use one account to knock out Mystic defenders then put his alt Mystic right back in it. I see it all the time because I can see three gyms from my house. It wouldn't bother me so bad if he wouldn't do it when the original defenders had only been in gym for a short amount of time oh, he's just being a dick because the gym was full

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I'll shave people if it's been close to 8 hours, or I've seen them in other gyms for a while too (kid is valor and I'm mystic). A good chunk of the active players up here are in one of two discord groups. We also have several gyms people have to ask others to clean out because they rarely get hit.

One's a church you have to park and get out to battle, and another is a gym at a rest pavilion on a pedestrian/bike trail that's a good 5 minute walk from anything else. I pass both of them on my runs at lunch during the week, and I've gone up to two weeks before in one of them.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Beastyfella posted:

I'll shave people if it's been close to 8 hours, or I've seen them in other gyms for a while too (kid is valor and I'm mystic). A good chunk of the active players up here are in one of two discord groups. We also have several gyms people have to ask others to clean out because they rarely get hit.

One's a church you have to park and get out to battle, and another is a gym at a rest pavilion on a pedestrian/bike trail that's a good 5 minute walk from anything else. I pass both of them on my runs at lunch during the week, and I've gone up to two weeks before in one of them.

Right but I'm talkin about completely emptying a gym where defenders have only been in for an hour or 2 tops and replacing it with your lone Pokemon of the same team. And these gyms are all on our main street in town except one that is a block off it so it's not like they don't change hands two or three times a day anyway

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Hey, I've made best friends with everyone I know, help me get that sweet, sweet xp

2979 4237 2532

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
The way to take out alts is to have alts yourself. Use the sync trick to take them out one by one before they can even berry the gym.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/74glq3/the_art_of_synchronization_an_ultimate_teamwork/