Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

J-Spot posted:

I gave it the old three episode test and while I give it points for not being gross it didn’t really do much for me. The slime would always just pull out some magical power to solve every problem that came along and I don’t find that very interesting. When I heard the premise I was expecting him to turn into more of a Dragon Quest type of slime who would die to a level 1 adventurer.

Yeah if the slime being basically an invincible god is a negative for you I'd skip it, because the show (if not necessarily the source material) isn't really about him ever being in danger, but about how he fits into and is changing the world around him.

The isekai I want is the max level from killing slimes for 300 years one, which is really more just CGDCT than an average isekai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

FartRomancer.EXE posted:

hero of catapulting diseased bodies over the walls of a besieged city

Hero of riding your bicycle into a bollard and headbutting as you are launched off

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hero of buying out local businesses to destroy the local economy.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Hero of Burning Hydrocarbons to Cause a Runaway Green House Effect, Destroying Civilization as We Know It

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

SerCypher posted:

A better show would be testing that logic.

He already uses bomb slime things as weapons.

He could have to figure out a way to have offense while skirting the definition of what is and isn't a weapon. Or less contrived he could just have gotten an actual monster slave and played pokemon.

I'm watching this too so it's not like I have some moral high ground, but the whole slavery/incel thing is definitely either the philosophy or fetish or something else of the author's. It's definitely not there as social commentary or to make him a tragically flawed hero.

That being said raccoon girl is cute and he should let her out of slavery and they should just be best buds but of course he won't.

i had a friend who did a no-leveling playthrough of final fantasy 9, relying on expendable items to get by

shield hero is just a lazy rear end dude

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Hero of Funding a Space Research Program but only to Take Advantage of the Military Side-applications and Not the Actual Science and Exploration of it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

J-Spot posted:

I gave it the old three episode test and while I give it points for not being gross it didn’t really do much for me. The slime would always just pull out some magical power to solve every problem that came along and I don’t find that very interesting. When I heard the premise I was expecting him to turn into more of a Dragon Quest type of slime who would die to a level 1 adventurer.

Yeah, there are quite a few isekai like the slime one where someone has a "weak-sounding" ability they start with, that rapidly ends up becoming something extremely overpowered. The explanation people use to excuse this is "well it's slice of life" but the characters and comedy are not remotely good enough to make up for the lack of any decent plot or tension (as opposed to something like Konosuba that at least is good with comedy, for example). At its core, these stories are wish fulfillment where the specific wish is "being able to relatively effortlessly be powerful and well-liked" (plus a weird game-y need for "progression" where the protagonist keeps gaining new skills and making their town/country bigger, etc).

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
couldn't he just hit the baddies with his shield

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Blank Construct posted:

couldn't he just hit the baddies with his shield

Thats the Hero of Smacking People in the Face with Shields

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Natch

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sharkopath posted:

That works for all the Knights in Fire Emblem Echoes so far. Just barreling into the opposition, zero fucks to give.

Of course, they're not heroes: Just knights.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Wark Say posted:

That works for all the Knights in Fire Emblem Echoes so far. Just barreling into the opposition, zero fucks to give.

Of course, they're not heroes: Just knights.

The Knight of Holding onto a Flail and Spinning Around Like a Top Until You Hit Something

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Leaving legos in inconvenient places to be stepped on hero is one of histories most evil villans

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Vorpal Cat posted:

Leaving legos in inconvenient places to be stepped on hero is one of histories most evil villans

The tag team with Just a Whole Lot of Pit Traps Hero is one of my favorite redemption arcs though.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

The tag team with Just a Whole Lot of Pit Traps Hero is one of my favorite redemption arcs though.

Is that before or after being sued by punji sticks hero for copy right infringement?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Vorpal Cat posted:

Is that before or after being sued by punji sticks hero for copy right infringement?

No, that was the chapter of introduction for Hero of Mental Trauma Through Incredibly Boring Litigation

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
It is mentioned that because his attribute is "shield" his attack power is locked at 0 and can't be increased. So it doesn't matter if he throws rocks at people or files down his shield into a sword.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The hero of living in a world without physics or momentum...

What a chilling world.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Nebrilos posted:

It is mentioned that because his attribute is "shield" his attack power is locked at 0 and can't be increased. So it doesn't matter if he throws rocks at people or files down his shield into a sword.

This too could be used to his advantage in unique and interesting ways. If he can't hurt people no matter what, then he could launch people over the walls of a castle and they wouldn't get hurt. Drop them in lava and they take no damage. Work as a travelling salesman peddling armor that he demonstrates as being completely impervious by dropping a 16 ton anvil on it. The possibilities are endless.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

His zero attack power still lets him punch the balloon monsters to death though.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, there are quite a few isekai like the slime one where someone has a "weak-sounding" ability they start with, that rapidly ends up becoming something extremely overpowered. The explanation people use to excuse this is "well it's slice of life" but the characters and comedy are not remotely good enough to make up for the lack of any decent plot or tension (as opposed to something like Konosuba that at least is good with comedy, for example). At its core, these stories are wish fulfillment where the specific wish is "being able to relatively effortlessly be powerful and well-liked" (plus a weird game-y need for "progression" where the protagonist keeps gaining new skills and making their town/country bigger, etc).

I haven't seen slime isekai yet, but isn't the entire point of the show him putting together a village and bringing people together instead of just killing everyone who is a problem to him?

It's sad they don't take more opportunity for comedy if that's the case, though.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Sharkopath posted:

What we could have had...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXp8Th41rBs&t=24s

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I haven't seen slime isekai yet, but isn't the entire point of the show him putting together a village and bringing people together instead of just killing everyone who is a problem to him?

It's sad they don't take more opportunity for comedy if that's the case, though.

you might look around for other opinions on the slime show beyond the person who is mortally offended anyone can like it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The "killing everyone" thing was never a Japanese isekai stereotype to begin with (that's more of a cultivation WN thing); it's more about "being powerful and well-liked" than it is "defeating bad guys." The slime thing, and similar series, can plausibly be entertaining if someone gains enjoyment from the concept of a protagonist making "progress," whether it's through learning new skills, building a country, etc. The enjoyment comes from a similar place to the enjoyment from leveling up a character in an MMO, or developing your town in an RTS. Only you're not the one playing and you're reading the diary of someone who is playing with cheat codes.

Everything Burrito posted:

you might look around for other opinions on the slime show beyond the person who is mortally offended anyone can like it

I think it's okay to have negative opinions about things, and obviously all art/entertainment is technically subjective. Clearly a lot of people are going to like that sort of thing. A lot of people enjoy all popular anime/web novels, or else they wouldn't be popular. There is a whole thread (actually, aren't there two?) of people who mostly enjoy it, so it's not like I'm somehow preventing people from seeing positive opinions.

But there are also people like the guy I quoted who are not going to enjoy your stereotypical Narou isekai WN. So if someone has similar taste and can't enjoy most "OP protagonist"-style web novels, it can be useful to identify the web novels that don't fit that mold (or are enjoyable despite it). From personal experience, it can be a huge pain in the rear end browsing NovelUpdates for WNs that actually have things like "a plot."

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I agree with Ytlaya that the Slime show was pretty boring and I dropped it after 5 episodes I think. It took forever for stuff to happen and from the way people described the episodes after I quit it sounds like all the characters he helps lose their charm and basically become NPCs instead of real people with their own goals, etc.

People can like whatever they want though but if someone is looking for opinion then let both sides give their opinion.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I would watch a show that is just a bunch of "heroes" with stupidly specific abilities trying to be adventurers.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

ViggyNash posted:

I would watch a show that is just a bunch of "heroes" with stupidly specific abilities trying to be adventurers.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nebrilos posted:

why are all these isekais always more gamey than literal video games

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Because about 90% of all Isekai shows are trash tier writing.
They can handwave a lot away by just explaining "It's like a video game!"

I don't have to give a good reason why shield hero can't do any damage on his own. His attack stat is at 0.

This is why the best Isekai shows are the ones where the characters are aware of this and use clever ways of working within this set of rules.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

That's familiar but I can't put my finger on it. Source?

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

ViggyNash posted:

That's familiar but I can't put my finger on it. Source?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3N-Y7rFrSk

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

The current arc is basically a bunch of people with hyper-specific stands all trying not to die. While being surrounded by mobsters, hunters, and assassin's also with very specific powers. I love it

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Speedrun hero knows you can drop the weapon right as the universe tries to reset your attack power causing your attack power to wrap around to the maximum possible value. Then you execute a wrong warp by exiting your front door backwards one the exact frame some tries to talk to you to go strait to the demon lords castle and save the world in record time.

Sadly most heroes today only run the no major glitches catagory.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
hero of rambling and vaguely incoherent blog posts about how feminism is ruining america

hero of twitter callout posts

hero of youtube debate videos

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
hero DESTROYS villain with FACTS and LOGIC

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

all of the isekai that i've enjoyed is primarily focused on the flaws and weaknesses of its protagonists over being a power fantasy. i wish there was more than like, 2 isekais where the protagonists were explicitly incompetent and had to struggle with the fact that they're just not even of average skill level compared to other adventurers/knights/people who solve problems with violence.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I couldn't even get to the controversial poo poo in the first episode of shield hero because it's the most well produced boring exposition I've ever seen. Like, I don't get the controversy because who the gently caress can actually sit through half an hour of people pointedly ignoring the shield hero and telling the audience how the world works.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think isekais would be better if the main character actually had to meaningfully struggle in any way. I can think of maybe three where they do.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Knuckle is the best late-game boy in HxH. :kimchi:

Namtab posted:

I think isekais would be better if the main character actually had to meaningfully struggle in any way. I can think of maybe three where they do.
Twelve Kingdoms, Re:Zero, Fushigi Yuugi... yeah, I got nothing else yet. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like reverse isekais