Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched the Netflix Fyre documentary, and I don't think it went soft on Billy at all. I also think the ending made clear how many common people, especially in the Bahamas, were hurt by it. The fact that it was the rich Instagram followers who were took Billy to court and were awarded $5 million, while the Bahamian guy had to flee for his life and the restauranteur lost her life savings, is made pretty clear (even if the $5 mil will obviously never get paid). I think the ending also goes into the role of 'influencer culture' and social media in general, at least a bit.

But at the same time I definitely felt like a lot of the people involved were covering their own asses by appearing in it, especially the Andy guy. Also there were a lot of unanswered questions. Who exactly was this Carola person and why was she shoveling money into all of Billy's projects? Why was Chuck Schumer's PR director working with Billy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/fyre-festival-gofundme-maryann-rolle-1203112850/

quote:

As two Fyre Festival documentaries hit the airwaves, a couple who say their credit was ruined due to the Fyre Festival’s lack of payment for their services have raised $54,381 at time of publication on GoFundMe.

Elvis and Maryann Rolle wrote on their page that they catered “no less than 1000 meals per day” in April of 2017 while organizers stayed in the rooms at their Exuma Point Resort, which includes a bar and grille.

“Breakfast, lunch and dinner were all prepared and delivered by Exuma Point to Coco Plum Beach, and Roker’s Point where the main events were scheduled to take place. Organizers would also visit my Exuma Point location to enjoy the prepared meals,” the page reads.

Rolle, the Bahamian woman behind the account, was featured in Netflix’s “Fyre,” where she explained that she lost at least $50,000 — likely much more — after continuing to provide meals to guests and organizers after it became apparent the festival was not happening. The GoFundMe page’s stated goal is $123,000.

“As I make this plea it’s hard to believe and embarrassing to admit that I was not paid…I was left in a big hole! My life was changed forever, and my credit was ruined by Fyre Fest.”

She said she also provided housing on site after organizers told her the grounds “aren’t ready” and asked her last-minute to help.

While some commentors have questioned whether it’s truly Rolle behind the GoFundMe, it appears to be legitimate — an executive producer of Netflix’s “Fyre,” Gabrielle Bluestone, linked to the GoFundMe on Twitter.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vanderdeath posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of her to begin with, seeing as how one of the running jokes in 30 Rock was 'look, black men are capable of being sensitive and intelligent people, too. Isn't that funny?'
I don't think this is an accurate reading of anything in 30 Rock

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tina Fey is def problematic but I don’t think it is quite as bad as Vanderdeath says, but it’s a more valid point than a lot of y’all are making out!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tina Fey seems mostly aware of her own privilege and skewed worldview and plays it mostly for laughs. I think she's okay.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Thanks for recommending Wayne, thread. Four episodes in and it’s loving good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just dont find her funny and she's made some pretty lovely movies but I dont have a vendetta or anything.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I disliked Kimmy Schmidt so much it put me off from ever checking out 30 Rock.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slamhound posted:

Thanks for recommending Wayne, thread. Four episodes in and it’s loving good.

Jabroni muddafucka

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't think this is an accurate reading of anything in 30 Rock

I admit I'm not in the greatest of moods at the moment but when rewatching 30 Rock last year, I found myself not being so hot on it for all of the problems I have with Kimmy Schmidt. Grizz and Dot Com's whole schtick is that they aren't the thuggish entourage you'd assume to hang out with Tracy while Tracy himself is a coon archetype played up to 11. He literally can't read, he's a terrible father and he's essentially a child that needs guidance from Jack and Liz for his own good. Grizz and Dot Com burgeoning with contained multitudes over the seasons felt like a counterbalance to Tracy's 'development' into a Rastus stock character.

The older I get, the more tired I am of characters written as stereotypes and nothing more. Fey's response to the soft criticism she received due to Kimmy Schmidt shows that she'll likely not take genuine advice from the group she's punching down at. Using a gay black character to parrot her lovely privileged rhetoric to own the wily SJWs in Kimmy Schmidt is what soured me completely on Fey.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Liz Lemon is a woman who has vaguely authentic desires to do the socially right thing but at the end of the day just wants ice cream and Netflix. I get the feeling it's an autobiographical character.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I never loved 30 Rock but I credit Tina Fey for not writing a show as insufferable as Aaron Sorkin's version of the show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Liz Lemon is a woman who has vaguely authentic desires to do the socially right thing but at the end of the day just wants ice cream and Netflix. I get the feeling it's an autobiographical character.

You know that's like 90% of the population right?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha holy poo poo did things get racist quickly in Killer Mike episode 3 once the focus group were asked about Hells Angels.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anyone else remember insane DVD prices for TV seasons. I remember walking into a Borders book store and buying the first season of Stargate SG-1 for like $90. I thought it was a good deal since compared to movies you're getting like 20 hours of content! Now Stargate costs like $5.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

Anyone else remember insane DVD prices for TV seasons. I remember walking into a Borders book store and buying the first season of Stargate SG-1 for like $90. I thought it was a good deal since compared to movies you're getting like 20 hours of content! Now Stargate costs like $5.

I remember they always came in this massive boxes with multiple dvd cases* or big fold-out disc holders, whereas now they can fit an entire 22-episode season into a single dvd case.

* Though sometimes they were slimline dvd cases - I remember I had season one and seasons four to seven of The West Wing with the fold-out packaging and seasons two and three in slipcases with skinny dvd cases that had two discs each.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I remember salivating over those X-Files seasons that were $90-100 a pop. Crazypants. The first DVD sets I bought were the first few seasons of Buffy when they had dropped to $50. And yeah, I loved those old fold-out boxes! Looked great on a bookshelf.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sometimes I look at the shelf of TV DVDs and just kind of get a little sick over the wasted money. Curse you, HBO DVDs.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I remember the day I vowed to never buy physical media again. I got the boxset for the first season of BSG reboot and a couple of the discs were scratched so it skipped a few scenes. Returned it to Amazon and got a brand new replacement. Same skips in the same loving scenes. gently caress discs.

I'm just going to stick with my pirated copies until you get your poo poo together, syfy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe the thing now for longer shows is to get a couple of those huge fat dvd cases which can hold about 40 discs or three seasons each and stick them in a slipcase. I own a few shows which came like that (Rockford Files, Miami Vice, X-Files, Stargate et al.).

To illustrate, this is the version of the TNG complete series that I have:

And this is how it's sold now:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

I spent an ungodly amount on Farscape DVDs. The original releases were 3-4 episodes per set and cost $40 each. I thinky Buffy's DVD release was what brought prices down to a reasonable amount.

Oh jesus, DBZ dvds were 3 episodes each and $25 a pop if not bought on sale.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember there were lots of themed collections for the Simpsons which would be four or five episodes on a video; I had all of them, because most of them had art on the spines that (in theory) formed one big picture if you lined them up next to each other. There were a few on dvd as well (Backstage Pass, Treehouse of Horror, Simpsons Around the World etc.) but by that point they were doing season collections.

I'm not sure if they even had season box set releases until they had access to dvd. I remember I had season three of Futurama on video but all the rest (and eventually three as well) on dvd. Family Guy and South Park briefly had similar things where they did collections themed around Stewie and Cartman and Butters respectively.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember they always came in this massive boxes with multiple dvd cases* or big fold-out disc holders, whereas now they can fit an entire 22-episode season into a single dvd case.

* Though sometimes they were slimline dvd cases - I remember I had season one and seasons four to seven of The West Wing with the fold-out packaging and seasons two and three in slipcases with skinny dvd cases that had two discs each.

There was a very early slimline case made of hard plastic and they were always, always cracked/chipped/otherwise damaged. Or a disc was loose and you could hear it screeching around in there and prayed it wasn't being scratched all to hell before you could get to it. Good times!

Rhyno posted:

I spent an ungodly amount on Farscape DVDs. The original releases were 3-4 episodes per set and cost $40 each. I thinky Buffy's DVD release was what brought prices down to a reasonable amount.

Star Trek initially came out on single DVDs, two eps to a disc in 1999. Didn't buy any myself but knowing Paramount they were probably like $25 a pop, 40 discs total.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
What is Wayne and where can I watch it? IMDb only barely seems to know it exists.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Youtube Premium, apparently, which is a thing I keep forgetting exists until this thread starts talking about a show I never heard of and then google reminds me.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I watched both Fyre shows and it's hilarious they both point the fingers at each other basically when you keep in mind who helped produce them.

As for DVDs I haven't bought physical media in probably about 8 years ever since I got a PS3. I have a huge rear end cabinet full of DVDs including said Stargate DVDs. I also have season 1 of BSG on HDDVD just in case Blu-Ray doesn't catch on. Still waiting on that one to play out.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They've been hitting the ground running

Impulse
Cobra Kai
Origin
Wayne
There is a new Jorden Peele show, Weird City coming out soon

Doing alright.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Tracy Morgan's character's punchline at the very end of the show is his realization that despite being how he is he's the only one in the building who is a self made billionaire, happily married, and with a family that loves him

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vanderdeath posted:

He literally can't read
Yes he can, the entire point of this episode is that Liz is a huge racist for assuming he can't. The show was pretty up front about how racist Liz is, which I have always suspected was the writers poking fun at Fey.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Doctor guy, pilot guy, Cleveland dude, British guy, rich dude, James Franco.
I've been with the same woman for 22 years.
No judgments, but to me, Liz Lemon is a sex maniac.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
This week's episode of Counterpart (2x06) is astonishing. It does for this show what White Tulip did for Fringe.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I dunno man. It was good but entire episodes with that premise always bug me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm still in bed and thinking I had no reason to get up today, but then I remembered: TRUE DETECTIVE TONIGHT

Hell yeah

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Wayne is loving fantastic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

I dunno man. It was good but entire episodes with that premise always bug me.

Spoilers man, I won't see it for who knows how long.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know, watching The Rockford Files, you could be forgiven for assuming that California in the 70s had a widespread problem with corrupt union bosses embezzling their members' pension funds. :v:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes he can, the entire point of this episode is that Liz is a huge racist for assuming he can't. The show was pretty up front about how racist Liz is, which I have always suspected was the writers poking fun at Fey.

I used to give writers and comedians the benefit of the doubt that they're aware of their lovely attitudes and airing them out for laughs. But after Louis CK I feel like we shouldn't assume there are multiple levels to the joke.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s like the text of that episode though

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know, watching The Rockford Files, you could be forgiven for assuming that California in the 70s had a widespread problem with corrupt union bosses embezzling their members' pension funds. :v:

What are you going to do about it, Rockfish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ynohtna posted:

What are you going to do about it, Rockfish?

I learned recently that one of the various Rockford spin-offs mooted in the 70s was a "Gabby and Gandy" series teaming up Louis Gossett Jr. and Isaac Hayes. It came to nought, unfortunately.