Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Probably! I use something similar when I forget to clean my airbrushes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Furism posted:

Woah, an ultra sonic cleaner isn't that expensive. Would something like this work to clean airbrushes?

That looks exactly like the one I use.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ok, lets set things straight. All washes can be used as a filter, meaning you're tinting the color underneath, or as something more targeted that intends to shade recesses. If your goal is to shade recesses you need to target only the areas you want to darken. If you want to tint a color you can slop the wash onto everything.

Same is true with oils. A targeted wash into cracks is often called a 'pin wash' while a 'filter' is a thin wash that goes over everything to change the color underneath.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

BULBASAUR posted:

Ok, lets set things straight. All washes can be used as a filter, meaning you're tinting the color underneath, or as something more targeted that intends to shade recesses. If your goal is to shade recesses you need to target only the areas you want to darken. If you want to tint a color you can slop the wash onto everything.

I've been using shades/washes and glazes to tint since shades were a the new hotness but I didn't know what the term filter meant until now. I learned something today, thanks Bulbasaur.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

richyp posted:

I've been using shades/washes and glazes to tint since shades were a the new hotness but I didn't know what the term filter meant until now. I learned something today, thanks Bulbasaur.
The problem is that there's little to no consistency in the terminology outside the hard-core art world, and even there people are pretty loosey-goosey with the nomenclature (because loving ar-teests). It's like how "thin" can be applied to either consistency or opacity or both and determining which one someone means is largely a matter of context. "Thin your paints" is garbage advice for beginners if you don't also explain how paint works.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Ilor posted:

The problem is that there's little to no consistency in the terminology outside the hard-core art world, and even there people are pretty loosey-goosey with the nomenclature (because loving ar-teests). It's like how "thin" can be applied to either consistency or opacity or both and determining which one someone means is largely a matter of context. "Thin your paints" is garbage advice for beginners if you don't also explain how paint works.

A lot of my paint knowledge comes from people who have degrees in fine arts and the wrong terminology is maddening. That and people who pride themselves on not using additives and then don't know why their 90% water 10% paint mixes don't last.

Also I wish I could just look up what pigments were in P3 paints, but that's less of a cultural thing and more corporate.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

richyp posted:

cheers dude :shobon:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ilor posted:

Thin your posts.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

ijyt posted:

Thin your posts.
Are they too pigment dense? Or perhaps you can see brush-strokes in them?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
This kit is way better than boyz, both painting and building wise.

R0ckfish fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 18, 2019

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

R0ckfish posted:

This kit is way better than boyz, both painting and building wise.

Amazing work there!

General question for taking pictures of models: where should I put the pictures online? Is Imgur good? Flickr? I have been to these sites but I'm not that savvy about how they work.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Genghis Cohen posted:

Amazing work there!

General question for taking pictures of models: where should I put the pictures online? Is Imgur good? Flickr? I have been to these sites but I'm not that savvy about how they work.

Imgur is decent and easy. Flickr is hot garbage. Do never photobucket.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Dropbox used to be good until they decided that direct image linking was apparently a really dumb thing to have and decided to remove it and make every image load through their web client.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Booley posted:

Pretty much this with an addendum that the Google Photos thing (whatever they call it now) is also pretty crappy.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Booley posted:

I like imgur apart from the fact the mobile app doesn't give you a bbcode link which is a huge downside for those who mostly need to host images of their mediocre poo poo models for dead Internet forums

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

IPA Regulations posted:

I like imgur apart from the fact the mobile app doesn't give you a bbcode link which is a huge downside for those who mostly need to host images of their mediocre poo poo models for dead Internet forums

Thankfully the mobile forums app has a [bb] button in the corner and will snag the regular imgur url from your clipboard for you when you want an image. And it has a check box to switch it to timg. It's pretty easy actually to do it all from your phone with Imgur and Awful apps.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Dropbox used to be good until they decided that direct image linking was apparently a really dumb thing to have and decided to remove it and make every image load through their web client.

Just change the 'www.dropbox.com' to 'dl.dropboxusercontent.com' in the URL.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

darnon posted:

Just change the 'www.dropbox.com' to 'dl.dropboxusercontent.com' in the URL.

Aha.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

imgur is still hot rear end, requires the app and an account on mobile for things as simple as copying a link or downloading, and the "community" is worse than reddit

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The Awful app includes the ability to upload a file to Imgur.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You can upload from the app?

Hey it works!

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I got a for-real camera and lightbox for my birthday.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Just finished my Stormraven. For now. If I have time later this week I'll add weathering, chapter insignia and some heraldry.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You can upload from the app?

Hey it works!

Wait what? Really? You mean I’ve been using this app for like 6 goddamn years and never knew that?

E: holy living gently caress

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hello thread. This is where I am with trying to paint my first mini:

What I've done so far:

1. I started with some grey primer
2. I painted almost all of it with Retributor Armor
3. I applied Reik Fleshshade as a wash
4. I did some layering with P3 Brass Balls on the "lit" areas of the gold armor
5. I painted the shield, the shoulderpads, the tassets, and the edges of the skirt with Kantor Blue
6. I painted the head of the hammer and the chain-mail on the skirt with P3 Pig Iron
7. I used a generic olive green acrylic paint for the weapon grip
8. I then used some P3 Frostbite for the shield's center design and the shoulderpads

I was pretty okay with it right up until step 6, but I've identified a couple of issues:

* I messed up on the shield design - the hammer should have stayed gold, and only the lightning bolts were supposed to be painted with Frostbite
* The shoulderpads look real ugly - I feel like I just completely smudged it up
* The green on the weapon grips seems a little light even after two coats. Maybe I could go for a third? Or is that okay as it is?

I could move on to the next figure, or there's a number of other smaller details I could add to this one, but before I kept going I wanted to ask for any advice on what I could be doing better. The Frostbite detail in particular bothers me - I know there's a couple of bits where the blue isn't completely neat around the gold, and I can live with that, but the shoulderpads just really stick out like a sore thumb and I'm feeling like I should just leave it alone next time if I can't get some kind of technique down.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Thanqol posted:

I got a for-real camera and lightbox for my birthday.

I don’t know what the gently caress you’ve got going on here but it’s incredible

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hello thread. This is where I am with trying to paint my first mini:

I could move on to the next figure, or there's a number of other smaller details I could add to this one, but before I kept going I wanted to ask for any advice on what I could be doing better. The Frostbite detail in particular bothers me - I know there's a couple of bits where the blue isn't completely neat around the gold, and I can live with that, but the shoulderpads just really stick out like a sore thumb and I'm feeling like I should just leave it alone next time if I can't get some kind of technique down.

For the shoulder pads, it looks smudged up because the frostbite has run off the raised details and it’s very thin, so you get this kind of chalky look. Just going back in with your blue and cleaning that up will make it look a lot better.

Painting on raised edges like that without anything running off can be pretty hard, so I always just assume I’m going to have to go back and forth between the detail color and the base color until I get it right.

For your first model that’s pretty good, so don’t beat yourself up about it. Getting what you want out of the paint job is really just about being neater right now.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Working on a Gravis Captain today, almost there! Had a nightmare painting the cloak, I just couldn't get it right but sod painting it a fourth time.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Red's a great color to work with. I like to start from a brown basecoat and feather my layers. Works like a charm.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Count_Brass posted:

Working on a Gravis Captain today, almost there! Had a nightmare painting the cloak, I just couldn't get it right but sod painting it a fourth time.

I think it looks great. What greys did you use to highlight the black? I'm about to try edge highlighting black for the first time and would be happy if I ended up with something like that..

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Count_Brass posted:

Man, that black is tight.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009

IPA Regulations posted:

What greys did you use to highlight the black? I'm about to try edge highlighting black for the first time and would be happy if I ended up with something like that..

For the highlights I used quite a thick line of Eshin Grey and a thinner highlight of Dawnstone. Just be careful you don't use too much of the lighter grey as that can shift your black over to looking grey itself.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I don’t know what the gently caress you’ve got going on here but it’s incredible

Basically she's a Rogue Trader who's way, way deep in the Imperium Nihilus. Everyone's panicking because the Astronomican's gone out and chaos is everywhere and they think the Imperium's abandoned them, so she says to herself: "What if... I was the emperor?"

So she gets her staff to spray-paint all her servitors and bullgryns and insanely heretical xenos crewmembers gold and red because it's not like these rubes will know the difference between that and a real custodian guard. Then she begins announcing herself as the Emperess of Mankind. Pretty soon the megalomania sets in, and before you know it she's carved out a little separatist empire for herself, is looking to expand, and is generally drinking her own kool-aid.

I think the next project will be for her to get herself her own Discount Offbrand Gulliman. I'm thinking some sort of daemonhost situation for that, maybe using an ogroid thaumaturge as the base model.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I wanted to paint something that wasn't a hard surface, or could rust, or weather in anyway sense so I tried my hand at painting a bust in monochrome, though I may do some coloured glazes over it later. I think it's the first model I've painted where all the highlights, midtones, and shadows are painted on rather than relying on natural light to do the shadows for me.

It's about space marine size.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 20, 2019

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Thanqol posted:

Basically she's a Rogue Trader who's way, way deep in the Imperium Nihilus. Everyone's panicking because the Astronomican's gone out and chaos is everywhere and they think the Imperium's abandoned them, so she says to herself: "What if... I was the emperor?"

So she gets her staff to spray-paint all her servitors and bullgryns and insanely heretical xenos crewmembers gold and red because it's not like these rubes will know the difference between that and a real custodian guard. Then she begins announcing herself as the Emperess of Mankind. Pretty soon the megalomania sets in, and before you know it she's carved out a little separatist empire for herself, is looking to expand, and is generally drinking her own kool-aid.

I think the next project will be for her to get herself her own Discount Offbrand Gulliman. I'm thinking some sort of daemonhost situation for that, maybe using an ogroid thaumaturge as the base model.

this is when 40k is the most fun.

ijyt posted:

I wanted to paint something that wasn't a hard surface, or could rust, or weather in anyway sense so I tried my hand at painting a bust in monochrome, though I may do some coloured glazes over it later. I think it's the first model I've painted where all the highlights, midtones, and shadows are painted on rather than relying on natural light to do the shadows for me.

i thought this was a computer rendering at first

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

ijyt posted:

It's about space marine size.

That's dope af, ijyt.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
For folks that mainly do airbrushing... what % of the total model paint process is done with airbrush vs conventional brush?

Like 5% priming
90% air brush
5% conventional brush touch ups?

What level of detail can you do with air brushes?

My budget is pretty tight so I’m figuring out if I should bother with airbrushes to start if I’m gonna need to do a fair amount of conventional brushing anyway.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

For folks that mainly do airbrushing... what % of the total model paint process is done with airbrush vs conventional brush?

Like 5% priming
90% air brush
5% conventional brush touch ups?

What level of detail can you do with air brushes?

My budget is pretty tight so I’m figuring out if I should bother with airbrushes to start if I’m gonna need to do a fair amount of conventional brushing anyway.

This isn't a great answer but it really depends on your brush and your skill level. Some people (me) just prime and basecoat, some people basically don't have to touch a brush except for the tiniest of details.

If you budget is tight, the kind of setup you'd want where you don't do much conventional brushing might be outside your price range.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up a Big Mek w/ KFF:

A quick model for sure, including drying time on a few stages it was done in a couple of days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
It all depends on what you want. I am probably 80%+ airbrush, but then I do poo poo like Bloodreavers where it's probably 20% airbrush... but only 15 minutes per model at most.