Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RedMagus posted:

The movie that I'll always stop and watch is The 13th Warrior. I don't know why, I just love that movie, especially the "I LISTENED" part to explain why we can understand the rest of the Norsemen.

YES

And there are so many subtle and funny things in that movie, sometimes just things that are easy to miss due to accents. It really just gets better and better with rewatches

It's the movie that every single D&D campaign wishes it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Watching Toy Story 2 with my kid, and in at least one scene in Andy's room, the toys' feet are reflected off of Andy's (incredibly loving clean) hardwood floor.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Escobarbarian posted:

- Nobody actually refers to Leslie Neilson’s character as ‘Shirley’ at any point in the movie. It was merely a reference to the character misunderstanding the word “surely”.

Shirley, you can't be serious?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Memento posted:

I watched Predator on the plane last week. The original one.

No subtle movie moment, that's just a really great film.

Some Predator trivia: scientists recently found a new genus of goblin spider in Brazil. Someone noticed that the spiders' chelicerae looked something like the Predator's mandibles:

... so of course they named the genus Predatoroonops and they named each of the 17 known species after actors, locations and characters from the film such as P. schwarzeneggeri, P. peterhalli, P. poncho, etc etc..

Edit: okay, here's a trivia fact and a subtle moment. Jean-Claude Van Damme was originally cast as the guy in the Predator suit (back when it had a weird different design) but he eventually chucked a tantrum and quit, partly because he was going to be hidden in the costume the entire movie and wouldn't get his face on screen. He was replaced by Kevin Peter Hall and Hall just so happened to get his face on screen and deliver a line when he also played one of the helicopter crew who rescue Dutch at the end of the film:

I don't know for sure but I like to think they did that as a 'gently caress you' to Van Damme. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 02:43 on Jan 20, 2019

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Android Apocalypse posted:

The Yellow Bastard is the weakest as it was the weakest story Frank Miller wrote.

I haven't seen A Dame to Kill For but the comic was pretty good.

The only reason to watch A Dame to Kill For is Eva Green. She's amazing and everything else is poo poo.

I watched Blade Runner again and I'm not sure if I'm projecting, but I swear one of J.F. Sebastian's toys they focus repeatedly on has the exact same face as, and is therefore played by, Brion James who plays Leon, and I don't know if that could be read as Tyrell reusing assets or J.F. just taking replicant genes and making dolls from them. Could be a Pris copycat toy in there somewhere. Regardless, one small thing I really like is that after Rachel shoots Leon, her and Deckard go back to his apartment and when he drinks some of the drink she gives him, some blood gets back in the drink, since he was bleeding from the nose a bunch. Just a nice touch.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sir Potato posted:

The only reason to watch A Dame to Kill For is Eva Green. She's amazing and everything else is poo poo.
:hmmyes:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Sir Potato posted:

I watched Blade Runner again and I'm not sure if I'm projecting, but I swear one of J.F. Sebastian's toys they focus repeatedly on has the exact same face as, and is therefore played by, Brion James who plays Leon, and I don't know if that could be read as Tyrell reusing assets or J.F. just taking replicant genes and making dolls from them. Could be a Pris copycat toy in there somewhere. Regardless, one small thing I really like is that after Rachel shoots Leon, her and Deckard go back to his apartment and when he drinks some of the drink she gives him, some blood gets back in the drink, since he was bleeding from the nose a bunch. Just a nice touch.

It’s from his mouth, getting hit in the face sometimes results in your teeth loving up the inside of your cheeks. If you watch it closely enough you can see the blood and spit backwash into the glass.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

My favorite movie is The Princess Bride. 😊

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

1. The Shawshank Redemption
2. Predator
3. Monster in Law

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

My favorite movie is The Princess Bride. 😊

Talking to a clerk at Hollywood Video back in 199X I surmised only men and boys like this movie.

Girls don't see a lot of agency in it.

That being said, that movie is so quotable it's insane.

Like the cliffs.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

syscall girl posted:

Talking to a clerk at Hollywood Video back in 199X I surmised only men and boys like this movie.

Girls don't see a lot of agency in it.

That being said, that movie is so quotable it's insane.

Like the cliffs.

Nah that's bullshit. I love it and so do all my friends.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

HopperUK posted:

:same:
Loved the book, too.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

My favorite movie is Joe vs the Volcano COME AT ME NERDS

Ok not really, but it is a favorite and my go-to movie to name whenever the topic comes up so I never give the same answer as someone else.

Its got a lot of subtle moments too I bet, I'll give it a re-watch and then a trip report later

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

In Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, the company that erases stuff from your brain is called Lacuna, inc.

Lacunae are generally holes or gaps in something, and specifically often refer to open spaces in the brain, which can be normal (physiologically present as your brain developed) or abnormal (necrosis from stroke, trauma, etc). The company makes gaps in your brain figuratively.

Please stop derailing with poo poo about favorite movies for page after page after page. Derails in text-based threads are the worst, because you have to skim all of it to see the same poo poo that was happening 80 posts ago is still happening without real content. You can also laugh at me since I contributed to the derail earlier and now I’m whining about it.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

freeedr posted:

You can also laugh at me since I contributed to the derail earlier and now I’m whining about it.
Caaaaan we also poke you with sticks?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

freeedr posted:

Please stop derailing with poo poo about favorite movies for page after page after page. Derails in text-based threads are the worst, because you have to skim all of it to see the same poo poo that was happening 80 posts ago is still happening without real content. You can also laugh at me since I contributed to the derail earlier and now I’m whining about it.
In Commando, my favorite movie, John Matrix's line "gently caress YOU, rear end in a top hat!" to Cooke is actually a subtle callback to the line Cooke just said, which was "gently caress you, rear end in a top hat!"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

Yeah so my anecdote didn't involve any goons. It was just the clerk saying her son loved it and his gf was like meh.

This is what informs my tiny world don't take this from me

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Ted posted:

My favorite movie is Joe vs the Volcano COME AT ME NERDS

Ok not really, but it is a favorite and my go-to movie to name whenever the topic comes up so I never give the same answer as someone else.

Its got a lot of subtle moments too I bet, I'll give it a re-watch and then a trip report later

Okay, I’m seconding this motion. It really is a delightful movie and the best Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan pairing. I still feel bad about Dagmar and the crew.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Between Bryan Singer, Kevin Spacey, and what Gabriel Byrne said about production being halted because Spacey couldn’t help himself, I’ll never be able to watch that movie again.

Stephen Baldwin doesn’t help.

Really that's the move that cements it for you? Have you seen Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil?

DandyLion has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Jan 21, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DandyLion posted:

Really that's the move that cements it for you? Have you seen Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil?

What does having seen that movie have to do with not wanting to see Usual Suspects ever again?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What does having seen that movie have to do with not wanting to see Usual Suspects ever again?

It feels like a frame story almost of Kevin Spacey's hellspiral. I felt it was a much more accurate simulacrum to be disgusted with given the most recent turn of events with him.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DandyLion posted:

It feels like a frame story almost of Kevin Spacey's hellspiral. I felt it was a much more accurate simulacrum to be disgusted with given the most recent turn of events with him.

I wasn't talking about Spacey in particular, I was listing the reasons I can no longer watch Usual Suspects. I haven't seen Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Thank you for the explanation.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

In John Carpenter's The Thing you need a Platinum account to view this

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Decrepus posted:

:aaaaa: that never occurred to me before!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Decrepus posted:

Decrepus posted:

Thanks to awful app even that won’t help you (some times)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Biplane posted:

Thanks to awful app even that won’t help you (some times)

It's not helping me right now. What am I missing?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
A platinum account apparently.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

synthetik posted:

A platinum account apparently.

I have one, and it looks like this is just some lame joke.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Here!? On SA?! Well I never.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Krispy Wafer posted:

Okay, I’m seconding this motion. It really is a delightful movie and the best Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan pairing. I still feel bad about Dagmar and the crew.

I need to re-watch that. I saw it once in the theater and haven't gone back to it since. I loved it the one time, time to track it down on streaming services (not on Netflix or Prime, dang).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

I need to re-watch that. I saw it once in the theater and haven't gone back to it since. I loved it the one time, time to track it down on streaming services (not on Netflix or Prime, dang).

I went ahead and bought it off iTunes and the movie holds up. Joe is the weakest character though. His nice guy/sad sack schtick played well when I was a morose and moody teenager, but now feels as socially awkward as the lyrics to a Billy Joel song. Every other character is fantastic though and it's the only Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan movie that is still bearable to watch.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You have a platinum something awful account. Platinum PYF is a separate upgrade.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How can you be a goon for over a decade and not know about PYFPlat

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Nothing subtle about how angry I am about this revelation.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Okay I'll bite. What's PYFPlat?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Krispy Wafer posted:

to pee with

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Krispy Wafer posted:

Nothing much. What's PYFPlat with you?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Krispy Wafer posted:

For pooping, silly.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

PYF Subtle Thread Moments: Platinum Die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Here's a weird moment from the new Adult Swim series Tigtone. In the pilot for Tigtone there's a moment where the Memory Gnome reminds Tigtone that he has the power to control animals once every five years and it has been five years since he last used the power. Before it was a series there was an animated short for Tigtone on Youtube and in it Tigtone uses his power to control animals. The animated short was made in 2014.