Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

We had a good run

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Alan_Shore posted:

So my girlfriend just knocked my Switch on the floor (lol) and the right JoyCon stick popped out. I popped it back in and everything's fine EXCEPT the plastic at the bottom is broken so the stick clicks/gets a bit stuck at the bottom. Is there a way to repair this or is it new JoyCon time?

If the problem is just the joystick then it;sreally easy to replace. All you need is a small tri-wing scewdriver, a small Phillips head screwdriver, and a pair of tweezers for removing/reattaching ribbon cables, all of which can be purchased as a pack on ebay for a few dollars (along with a replacement joystick.)

Replacing the joystick takes about ten minutes and is a pretty simple procedure if you have a YT guide to follow.

if the part that is broken is part of the Joy-Con itself then yeah, new girlfriend time.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The joystick is fine, is the black plastic that's part of the joycon shell I guess. Was hoping it would pop off and be replaced but oh well!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

keep using it for a few months before you do anything to it, quietly sighing and giving your girlfriend a very quick bit of side-eye whenever it clicks particularly loudly

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Probably has something to do with Russia being ridiculously corrupt and you have to have a guy who knows where the bribes go

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Junkie Disease posted:

So like Wargroove and the snes is gonna be announced as "out now" in a direct right?
That calendar gets real dry real fast at the end of the month.
So like early Feb

If Wargroove ever comes out it's gonna be mediocre.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

JBP posted:

Maybe you should try playing games on it instead of browsing the store. A bunch of great games were $30aud over Christmas. "Shovelware" games are cheap and Nintendo exclusives are pricey. I'd grab a marquee game and play it on my expensive console before throwing in the towel but that's just me.

I've been spending a lot of time researching games on the Switch to play. But there really doesn't seem to be any that capture our interest. I also don't even know what a marquee game is. :(

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Welcome to every modern gaming platform. Nearly all game stores are full of absolute garbage now whether it's PS4, Switch, or Steam. It's a necessity to use forum threads such as this one, review sites, or subreddits to keep up on good games and separate the chaff from the wheat. Just trawling through thousands of game listings is an exercise in futility.

Anyway for casual pick up play with your wife, have you looked into the various Jack Box games or Overcooked 2? I would say that with the notable exception of fighting games the Switch has the best selection of couch co-op games of any system.
Yeah that's been my experience- it isn't like there's a console that's obviously better than the Switch. I'm not jonesing for a PS4, or anything. Because I know that it suffers from a lot of the same game variety/quality issues We've played the Jack Box games and found that while they're great for parties they just aren't fun to play on our own. And we do have Overcooked 2, but didn't find it relaxing at all. "GET ME THOSE BUNS ON THE FLOOR. NO THOSE WEREN'T BUNS! gently caress!"

Argue posted:

There are a ton of games on it that are popular with both couples and groups of 4 among my circle of friends; I sincerely hope you're not inadvertently confusing "games I don't recognize" with "shovelware". Aside from Mario Tennis (the most popular one among my group) and Mario Party, there's Overcooked, Catastronauts, Jackbox, Snipperclips, and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, most of which are much cheaper than $80. And if you're in the market for single player offerings it looks like you haven't even touched Breath of the Wild yet.
Nah the games we saw were definitely shovelware. I'm not completely out of touch with the gaming scene (and I've spent A LOT of time researching potential games to buy), so I'm familiar with the games that a lot of people play. Problem is that we've tried playing a lot of those popular games and we just never touch them again for trying them out a few times. It's also really disappointing when there's a "big" new Switch game announcement and it's just some Indie platformer title that's ported from PC. As for BoTW- I was a huge fan of the older Zelda games up until SNES Link the Past, but could never get into any of the LoZ games ever since their N64 versions.

bowmore posted:

Have you tried Snipperclips?
We did! We played it exactly once, then put it down and never came back to it. :(

Katamari was awesome. MarioKart was great for about... a week. But neither of these games had lasting appeal to us. And it's really frustrating when I ask for casual gaming experiences and everyone just tells me to buy Smash or BoTW or whatever game they just happen to really like at that time.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 20, 2019

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Have you considered you just don't like games that much

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Butterfly Valley posted:

My Steam list would disagree with that. I play the poo poo out of The Division, Overwatch, etc. But I also hate being tied down to my desktop computer since that's where I do all of my work. Whole point of getting a console was to "relax" away from work. But I'm starting to think that the modernday console experience just isn't for us. Which is a drag because I've been a console gaming freak from NES to Gamecube.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 20, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BotW isn't really like any other Zelda so you might really dig it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

melon cat posted:

Which is a drag because I've been a console gaming freak from NES to Gamecube.

Friend, you are in luck! There's a whole sort of co-op campaign to be found in Super Mario Bros 3, found via the NES Online app!

Not to mention the full-blown co-op experience of River City Ransom. A couple that saunas together stays together!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Steve2911 posted:

BotW isn't really like any other Zelda so you might really dig it.
I was thinking the same! But maybe I've become a spoiled by Steam game prices but I just can't stomach paying $90 CAD for BoTW or any of the Nintendo branded games that I might play for a few hours a week, at the most. It's crazy just how expensive the Nintendo-developed games have become. And their prices never seem to go down, like, ever.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Man who meticulously researches games doesn’t like the console or games he bought?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

melon cat posted:

It's crazy just how expensive the Nintendo-developed games have become. And their prices never seem to go down, like, ever.

This is true. They're some of the only games that are still full price after a year. They occasionally do "player's choice" cheap options and poo poo like that but very rarely.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

melon cat posted:

My Steam list would disagree with that. I play the poo poo out of The Division, Overwatch, etc.

Butterfly Valley posted:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

My Walmart still has two copies of New Super Mario Bros Wii for like 30 bucks, it’s wild.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Please do not buy or play YIIK. It is incredibly bad. Go check the rpg meta thread for some heroic posting by people playing that pile of garbage if you want lots of examples of f why you shouldn't buy it.

Also the insufferable gamasutra article about indie devs quietly push the jrpg genre forward.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

melon cat posted:

I was thinking the same! But maybe I've become a spoiled by Steam game prices but I just can't stomach paying $90 CAD for BoTW or any of the Nintendo branded games that I might play for a few hours a week, at the most. It's crazy just how expensive the Nintendo-developed games have become. And their prices never seem to go down, like, ever.

I'm with you on the price shock.. Seeing that CAD$79.99 attached to every first-party game is really tough. I only bought Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 this month because the two of them finally went on sale. I'll say this though, I've paid full price for BotW on both the WiiU and the Switch and never regretted it. Like you I hadn't gotten into any of the 3D Zelda games, but this one I fell in love with.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

melon cat posted:

Katamari was awesome. MarioKart was great for about... a week. But neither of these games had lasting appeal to us. And it's really frustrating when I ask for casual gaming experiences and everyone just tells me to buy Smash or BoTW or whatever game they just happen to really like at that time.

Well, what type of games ARE you looking for? You so far haven’t even said what genres you like, how deep of a multiplayer experience you’re looking for is, etc.

People are telling you to get Smash because it’s a multiplayer game (which you want) and it’s also an amazing game that’s worth the price. It’s not just what they like at the time. If that was the case you’d also have far less BoTW recommendations as I don’t think a ton of people are playing it now as compared to when it just came out.

Maybe give the thread some more specific guidelines into what you’re looking for so they can try recommend some more things and have a list of what you’ve already played.

Snackmar posted:

I'm with you on the price shock.. Seeing that CAD$79.99 attached to every first-party game is really tough. I only bought Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 this month because the two of them finally went on sale. I'll say this though, I've paid full price for BotW on both the WiiU and the Switch and never regretted it. Like you I hadn't gotten into any of the 3D Zelda games, but this one I fell in love with.

All big games are this price when they come out though? Like, there’s no shock unless you’re talking about how it’s shocking they’re still that price way after the fact. It’s nothing new though, and Nintendo is not the only one that does it as a company. Disney still wants usually 20-30$ Canadian for the first Avengers movie. No thanks, it’s a 5-10$ movie at best.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 20, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Guys, I already said River City Ransom, what more do you all want?

BARF!

Seriously, I hope someday, they port RCR Underground to the Switch.

Also, in Feb or March, the new Toejam & Earl game is coming out :toot: Now there's a goddamned wonderful co-op game. Melon cat, get the Genesis collection and play TJ&E (1, though the sequel is ok).

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

How about Diablo 3? Great game with couch co op. Others off the top of my head are Neurovoider, Puyo Pop Tetris, Enter the Gungeon, and Risk of Rain. Do you like fighters? There's Smash Bros, Street Fighter, Dragon Ball, and MK 11 later this year.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Astro Bears Party is a fun little game that I've gotten a lot of party enjoyment out of.

Also Sky Rogue has 2 player co-op and is fun if you're into flight sim shootemups like Ace Combat (only retro procgen low-poly).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tbf the Switch kind of sucks if you aren’t interested in ports or Mario. Every game people recommends is mostly a port or can be played on a different system for cheaper. Smash is cool though.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The Black Stones posted:

All big games are this price when they come out though? Like, there’s no shock unless you’re talking about how it’s shocking they’re still that price way after the fact. It’s nothing new though, and Nintendo is not the only one that does it as a company. Disney still wants usually 20-30$ Canadian for the first Avengers movie. No thanks, it’s a 5-10$ movie at best.

And the games that do go down in price quickly after release is because the product failed (See: PS1 Classic...admittedly not a game, but still a failed product) or because the developer rushes out so many of them in such a short period that the value falls quickly. See: Pretty much any Guitar Hero game 5 or so years ago.

If it is the sticker price shocking you, try browsing Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, or SA-Mart. I purchased a copy of Odyssey for $40.

But if you just legit do not like games for the Switch, which is a real possibility, reset the console so your profiles are deleted and sell it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nintendo doesn't want Russian ethnic workers rebelling in the office with Russian "mercenaries" who for some reason have Russian military equipment and tanks plowing through the walls.

E: VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV :vince:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:crossarms:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Black Stones posted:

Well, what type of games ARE you looking for? You so far haven’t even said what genres you like, how deep of a multiplayer experience you’re looking for is, etc.

People are telling you to get Smash because it’s a multiplayer game (which you want) and it’s also an amazing game that’s worth the price. It’s not just what they like at the time. If that was the case you’d also have far less BoTW recommendations as I don’t think a ton of people are playing it now as compared to when it just came out.

Maybe give the thread some more specific guidelines into what you’re looking for so they can try recommend some more things and have a list of what you’ve already played.
For me- I want a game with a great, story-driven single player experience that looks great that I can just pick up and play. Pretty visuals, and no dumb gimmicky controls that will make me throw the controller at the wall. Don't want any RPGs or open-world experiences where I won't know what the gently caress I was supposed to do if I haven't played for a few weeks.

For playing with the wife- games that we can play on a lazy Sunday that feel like they're more fleshed-out than a mobile game that we can play on our smartphones. That's seriously it. Katamari was a big hit, but then we finished it and have no reason to go back to it. Lost interest in MK because the newest iteration refuses to let you fall of the track and now everyone's driving on rails. Really don't like games that with this hand-holding crap that treats you like a baby. We want games that are for "casuals" but not completely dumbed-down and present SOME sort of challenge. Hope that makes some sort of sense.

quote:

BoTW came out almost 2 years ago, 'bruh. It is pretty damned silly that it's still selling for its full new release price.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Get Lovers in a dangerous space time for you and your wife. And get wandersong for the single player.

melon cat posted:

BoTW came out almost 2 years ago, 'bruh. It is pretty damned silly that it's still selling for its full new release price.
Not a single game that came out this is year better than it, so does it really matter? Especially when it's still selling at a record rate.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Guys, I already said River City Ransom, what more do you all want?

BARF!

Seriously, I hope someday, they port RCR Underground to the Switch.

Also, in Feb or March, the new Toejam & Earl game is coming out :toot: Now there's a goddamned wonderful co-op game. Melon cat, get the Genesis collection and play TJ&E (1, though the sequel is ok).

I never played RCR but I remember people talking up RCR Underground for a while

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

melon cat posted:

lmao imagine posting this in a Nintendo thread

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

melon cat posted:

First party Nintendo games usually hold their value for their entire life cycle.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

melon cat posted:

Lost interest in MK because the newest iteration refuses to let you fall of the track and now everyone's driving on rails. Really don't like games that with this hand-holding crap that treats you like a baby. We want games that are for "casuals" but not completely dumbed-down and present SOME sort of challenge. Hope that makes some sort of sense.

You can turn off the autosteering from the menu.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BattleMaster posted:

First party Nintendo games usually hold their value for their entire life cycle.

They shouldn't though.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Steve2911 posted:

They shouldn't though.

Says you.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Holy lol he's playing Mario Kart with auto steering turned on and complaining it's too easy :laffo:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
It is pretty weird that Zelda and Mario are still full price when their rosters and team stats are two seasons out of date at this point

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

melon cat posted:

For playing with the wife- games that we can play on a lazy Sunday that feel like they're more fleshed-out than a mobile game that we can play on our smartphones. That's seriously it. Katamari was a big hit, but then we finished it and have no reason to go back to it. Lost interest in MK because the newest iteration refuses to let you fall of the track and now everyone's driving on rails. Really don't like games that with this hand-holding crap that treats you like a baby. We want games that are for "casuals" but not completely dumbed-down and present SOME sort of challenge. Hope that makes some sort of sense.

Laughing my whole rear end off

Spellman
May 31, 2011

melon cat posted:

Yeah that's been my experience- it isn't like there's a console that's obviously better than the Switch. I'm not jonesing for a PS4, or anything. Because I know that it suffers from a lot of the same game variety/quality issues We've played the Jack Box games and found that while they're great for parties they just aren't fun to play on our own. And we do have Overcooked 2, but didn't find it relaxing at all. "GET ME THOSE BUNS ON THE FLOOR. NO THOSE WEREN'T BUNS! gently caress!"

Nah the games we saw were definitely shovelware. I'm not completely out of touch with the gaming scene (and I've spent A LOT of time researching potential games to buy), so I'm familiar with the games that a lot of people play. Problem is that we've tried playing a lot of those popular games and we just never touch them again for trying them out a few times. It's also really disappointing when there's a "big" new Switch game announcement and it's just some Indie platformer title that's ported from PC. As for BoTW- I was a huge fan of the older Zelda games up until SNES Link the Past, but could never get into any of the LoZ games ever since their N64 versions.

Did you ever play Child of Light? That game's good, especially if you have a wife

As people are saying, Zelda is amazing, and speaks to the Switch's potential, but games on its scale are still largely untapped on Switch. I'd say wait for this year's announcements since it's been kind of an off-year, but the good, non-shovelware alternatives to Nintendo games will oftentimes be side-scrolling platformers, retro-inspired RPGs, and cross-platform games that came out 9 years ago. It is tight for me because I missed a lot of it, but you gotta decide if that's for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

melon cat just get a PS4, it's lousy with bad AAA third person shooters with cutscenes