Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fister Roboto posted:

Then I'd suggest saving for the next festival, which will be in about two months, and it will offer an insane leap in power (awakening SBs). Also around that time the realm draw will be refreshed and you'll be able to do them for 15 mythril again.

While this is technically the truth, some good advice to avoid burnout is to keep in mind that gacha games are emotionally manipulative and if you want to pull, you shouldn't really feel shame for it. None of these banners until the next festival (should be late March) are that awe-inspiring, but they're still solid enough. We're more likely to announce when banners are so bad in Global that they add nothing of worth than the other way around, nowdays.

That said, as a new player, your first priority should always be the discounted pulls; until you get to the point where you're routinely clearing events at least to the U++/180 level (and thus earning Memory Crystal 3s and 6* elemental crystals) and moving on to the mid/endgame stuff, it's more important to get a varied set of tech than just The New Meta-Defining Hotness. Naturally save up a nest egg for that, but don't feel forced to save EVERYTHING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yeah it's real dumb that I have over 100 4 and 5* Bravery and Spirit motes, but everyone wants Vitality and Wisdom motes.

I have 4-500 of 4* Spirit, Dex, and Wisdom, 1600 of Bravery and 60 left of Vitality. Pretty annoying.

On 5*s I have over 600 each, 1000+ on a few and I haven't even been hoarding. I've dived even borderline characters for Torment sake. 4* vit is a ridiculous bottleneck right now.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

quote:

After spending $800 and 500+ Mythril on today's banner and basically getting everything but Gabranth's BUSB (the one thing I really wanted from the banner, and it's not even the first time --- this is the third time I've suffered utter loot denial like this, hunting for Bartz USB1 and Ovelia LMR before), it hit me: "Why am I still paying this game to abuse and laugh at me?"

I used to be on the fence about the supposed predatory nature of gacha games because I've never once felt a need to throw money into them, but holy poo poo, $800?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I’m perfectly fine with throwing the occasional few bucks at the game, but $800 :stare:. That story reminded me of someone spent a few hundred bucks chasing One Winged Angel when it came out.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

this being the third time they've done something like this we actually could be talking about a ballpark number of $2400

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

quote:

hunting for... Ovelia LMR before

Just... why? Of all the healer relics to chase.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

iamsosmrt posted:

I have 4-500 of 4* Spirit, Dex, and Wisdom, 1600 of Bravery and 60 left of Vitality. Pretty annoying.

On 5*s I have over 600 each, 1000+ on a few and I haven't even been hoarding. I've dived even borderline characters for Torment sake. 4* vit is a ridiculous bottleneck right now.

They should add in a mote exchange.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

this being the third time they've done something like this we actually could be talking about a ballpark number of $2400

There was a dude a while back who admitted to blowing five figures on this game.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

saltylopez posted:

Just... why? Of all the healer relics to chase.

I would guess "complete waifu".

For new players: all the advice given so far is really good but at the end of the day this is just a silly phone game so don't feel bad about pulling on banners for your favorite FF games or characters.

You can't beat endgame content with only your favorites but that's a long way off and you should use characters you like while plowing through realm dungeons.

It's a blast to assemble dream teams to beat up baddies and bosses.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Yeah if you're truly new don't feel like you need to save up for some future event, it's much better to start getting a broad variety of relics that will let you progress now, rather than worry about saving for months for some future power creep. The current banners aren't especially powerful IMO, but the next event coming should be Tactics which will have most of the current top physical Holy stuff in the game on banner 2 (and banner 1 is solid also)

as for $800 boy, let that be a lesson on not chasing too hard for one specific item. No matter how much you want it, sometimes you just aren't meant to have it. It's not worth pulling on full price banners if you have a bunch of dupes on it already, wait for the item to come again on some future banner unless you're fully prepared to spend way more than is sane.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh boy, Phoenix is a loving hoot. What the hell am I supposed to do here?

Bartz USB1/Glint/AOSB/OSB (Stormspell/quadstrike)

One of:
Paine USB (Need to make 2x water quadstrikes for her...)
Tidus BSB1/BSB2/OSB (6* water sharpshooter?)

Elarra USB

Tyro Godwall/LMR

Ignis BSB

Do I have a hope in hell?

Wyrmthang
Nov 30, 2014

As dry as it gets!
Thanks for the great advice everyone, I of course do love some FFs more than others so I may pull because I NEED to have Garnet powered up hehe. Those 15 Mithril banners are awesome though, I have am enjoying trying out all the BSBs and SSBs and such. Right now that is more than enough to keep me leveling and smiling. I don't mind saving up for a big blowout on a Festial since I played from FFBE and that is the name of the game in that Gatcha, avoid this banner and pull on that one.

I really appreciate the point in the right direction though, when I first booted up the game I saw those Newbie banners and thought ohhh how nice. Then I read the OP and those giant letters saying DON'T DO IT really stood out ha. Looking forward to sharing all my misfortune and joy with you lot for the next few months/years.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Oh boy, Phoenix is a loving hoot. What the hell am I supposed to do here?

Bartz USB1/Glint/AOSB/OSB (Stormspell/quadstrike)

One of:
Paine USB (Need to make 2x water quadstrikes for her...)
Tidus BSB1/BSB2/OSB (6* water sharpshooter?)

Elarra USB

Tyro Godwall/LMR

Ignis BSB

Do I have a hope in hell?

I cleared this sub-30 with CSB, but I think two entrusters (including Ignis), Elarra, and two DPS could at least clear this. You have to be very much on top of casting Elarra's USB though. There comes a point where she's basically casting it over and over, that's how fast this fucker attacks.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Wyrmthang posted:

Thanks for the great advice everyone, I of course do love some FFs more than others so I may pull because I NEED to have Garnet powered up hehe.

I've been playing since launch and I just dropped 150 mithril on the current FF12 banner because Balthier is my dude and my poo poo for him is way outta date.

You can totally strike a balance between your favorite characters/games and chasing good poo poo, and at this point stuff like Realms on Parade and USB-only Lucky Draws will do an efficient job of filling your coffers with good gear.

EDIT: Look, I got Serah's chain on the daily draw yesterday, I felt like treating myself

Baku fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 18, 2019

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Wyrmthang posted:

I really appreciate the point in the right direction though, when I first booted up the game I saw those Newbie banners and thought ohhh how nice. Then I read the OP and those giant letters saying DON'T DO IT really stood out ha. Looking forward to sharing all my misfortune and joy with you lot for the next few months/years.

Probably needs an update, that warning was against the old newcomer banners which sucked something fierce but are luckily all gone now.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

iamsosmrt posted:

I cleared this sub-30 with CSB, but I think two entrusters (including Ignis), Elarra, and two DPS could at least clear this. You have to be very much on top of casting Elarra's USB though. There comes a point where she's basically casting it over and over, that's how fast this fucker attacks.

Would lobbing the occasional (or well, nigh-constant) OSB from Bartz to slow it down and get a reprieve help?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Would lobbing the occasional (or well, nigh-constant) OSB from Bartz to slow it down and get a reprieve help?

What's your Magicite deck for this? Lvl 99 Geosgaeno is pretty much mandatory. Phoenix seems to go a bit crazy once it's in his final phase, regardless of Enrage mode. Definitely load up on OSB, but you really want to make sure you can use the AOSB to skip as much of the final phase as possible.

Do you happen to have any water imperil sbs? That actually might be the best secondary DPS.

I think this whole thing will be a pain in the rear end for you to figure out, but I think it's doable. Up to you on how you feel about your own patience and tolerance of getting wrecked over and over until you find the solution.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

iamsosmrt posted:

What's your Magicite deck for this? Lvl 99 Geosgaeno is pretty much mandatory. Phoenix seems to go a bit crazy once it's in his final phase, regardless of Enrage mode. Definitely load up on OSB, but you really want to make sure you can use the AOSB to skip as much of the final phase as possible.

Do you happen to have any water imperil sbs? That actually might be the best secondary DPS.

I think this whole thing will be a pain in the rear end for you to figure out, but I think it's doable. Up to you on how you feel about your own patience and tolerance of getting wrecked over and over until you find the solution.

Magicites are Geos/Famfrit/Kraken/Evrae/Evrae all 99. Geos inherited Water Atk 15 and Health Boon 5, Famfrit has Dampen Fire 10 twice, Kraken has another Water Atk 15. Might swap Kraken to the front slot just for Imperil since Geos' follow-ups don't break Savage Mode.

Bartz/Paine/Tidus who I would consider my good water SBs. They're all 5* dived and crystal watered to the gills. Under Imperil and with both Ignis boosts, Bartz caps his Stormspell hits. Paine reaches about 7k with quadstrike. Tidus with Sapphire Bullet (And Yuffie's AOSB +water throwing weapon) might just beat her out because of modifiers, and he can also help by lobbing OSBs after he gets his Enwater BSB up.

The only other people I have are Glint/AOSB Yuffie and BSB Edge.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Magicites are Geos/Famfrit/Kraken/Evrae/Evrae all 99. Geos inherited Water Atk 15 and Health Boon 5, Famfrit has Dampen Fire 10 twice, Kraken has another Water Atk 15. Might swap Kraken to the front slot just for Imperil since Geos' follow-ups don't break Savage Mode.

Bartz/Paine/Tidus who I would consider my good water SBs. They're all 5* dived and crystal watered to the gills. Under Imperil and with both Ignis boosts, Bartz caps his Stormspell hits. Paine reaches about 7k with quadstrike. Tidus with Sapphire Bullet (And Yuffie's AOSB +water throwing weapon) might just beat her out because of modifiers, and he can also help by lobbing OSBs after he gets his Enwater BSB up.

My clear was with Rikku/Bartz/Tidus/Elarra/Eiko. Eiko just spammed the Crit Song and popped her USB every so often, Elarra was on heal-rush duty, Tidus cycled CSB/USB, Rikku was my imperiller (and my boostga/proshellhastega) with her USBs, Bartz did Bartz stuff. Even with all of that it came down to execution and not getting off healing SBs a frame too late.

Phoenix is rough.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

How far have you gotten and in what time? A team of those three DPS, Ignis and Elarra might pull it out if you can squeek out enough medicas. Aerith usb2 would probably be better in this case.

It's a really tough DPS race. Imperil is pretty stupidly huge and I'm lucky enough to have gotten decent sources for all elements. But I've been shat on for most chains. Sigh.

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
Daily draw: Lann OSB

I know most OSBs have sucked for a long time, but is Lann's the worst one? No element, +fire realm synergy and it does more damage with Reynn in the party.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hey I have that one too!

I've literally never used it.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Day 25 of no 5* from the daily draw. Have gotten about five 1*s in that time frame, though! :shepface:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:toot:

Famfrit was really easy for me compared to the lightning 5* magicites, only took me like 3 or 4 attempts. My lightning team isn't even that good. No 2.0 chain, no room for a stat buff, and I didn't even have Tyro entrusting (I needed him for magic debuff). I guess the 5* magicite deck I farmed up helps a lot.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Daily gave me Machina's SSB today.

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
3/11 - Maria GSB, Cinque BSB and LMR (both dupes)

Waste of mythril, was hoping for a 6* or at least Bartz earth BSB. Are we supposed to get the lucky lightning banner too?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

3/11

Dorgann USB (dupe)
Rinoa EnEarth LMR (dupe)

and

The same Rinoa LMR, wait hang on I want a redo :negative:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Bartz BSB (dupe)

Thats dissapointing. I had so few dupes on this banner to begin with.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

2/11 - Cinque USB (dupe), Rinoa BUSB. Neat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ingus USB. I've got a lot of Ingus toys so although it looks good he'll probably be using his SB on either chain or radiant shield. Still, new USB on a 25-pull is always happy.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

been itching to pull and having a lovely week so did an ill-advised 8 dupe pull on the earth lucky

:toot: I've been wanting an earth chain! and I've had both of his BSB's for ages

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
3/10

Maria LMR(dupe)
Dorgann USB (Dupe)
Ingus Chain

Neato

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I don't think I'm pulling on the earth banner, I've got 4/6 of the 6*s (Dorgann USB, Ingus CSB, Rinoa BUSB, Cinque USB) so there's a high chance of dupesappointment if I do. I'm hilariously well stacked for earth also so I should probably just save my mythril. Cool other people are getting good stuff though!

Spent a lot of my time in-game this weekend doing something I always say I'll do and rarely actually do: clear realm dungeons that I've been too lazy to do as they come out. Down to about 25 elite dungeons from 60ish when the weekend started. I think between this mythril, mythril from Record dungeons (which I am also hilariously behind on), and what we'll get normally over the next two months, I have a reasonable chance of having close to 500 mythril for AASBs.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Pulled on the banner although there were a number of dupes. Surprised that I didn't get any dupes - Rinoa LMR and Cinque BSB. Kinda wanted Cinque LMR but it is what it is.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Wow, the last guy in the corridor of trials is a major rear end in a top hat. Towards the end he took my party from nearly full health to wipe without me even getting any actions. Also having him remove my haste was a dick move. I got him in the end by switching in Emperor's imperil/break USB and by realising that since I made my earth team way back I've gained enough resist accessories to equip the whole party.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

KataraniSword posted:

My clear was with Rikku/Bartz/Tidus/Elarra/Eiko. Eiko just spammed the Crit Song and popped her USB every so often, Elarra was on heal-rush duty, Tidus cycled CSB/USB, Rikku was my imperiller (and my boostga/proshellhastega) with her USBs, Bartz did Bartz stuff. Even with all of that it came down to execution and not getting off healing SBs a frame too late.

Phoenix is rough.

iamsosmrt posted:

How far have you gotten and in what time? A team of those three DPS, Ignis and Elarra might pull it out if you can squeek out enough medicas. Aerith usb2 would probably be better in this case.

It's a really tough DPS race. Imperil is pretty stupidly huge and I'm lucky enough to have gotten decent sources for all elements. But I've been shat on for most chains. Sigh.

Actually, thinking about it, would (dived) Relm USB with the [+SB when taking damage] RM beat out Elarra for this if the USB casting is going to be so constant? I also have Relm's Last Stand BSB to throw on as an extra layer of bullshit defense.

I've survived an entire minute but I only had one Engulfing Quadstrike between Bartz and Paine so only made it to 50%. With two more R4 copies I could get a lot further. Or I could use Tidus and Sapphire Shot/Bullet plus OSB casts instead.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 21, 2019

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Actually, thinking about it, would (dived) Relm USB with the [+SB when taking damage] RM beat out Elarra for this if the USB casting is going to be so constant? I also have Relm's Last Stand BSB to throw on as an extra layer of bullshit defense.

No, if only because Elarra's Regenga is really important for keeping you standing between those USB casts. When he gets revved up, it's not uncommon to have Phoenix take three turns to each one of yours. That said, if you made it to a minute then it's not necessarily survival that's your problem, but hones/skill kit. Look into anyone on your team that can drop imperils, go for Stormspell Strike if you can, and definitely consider using Sapphire Bullet if you have someone who can use it (Tidus is good but he may not the best option in this case unless you have his Chain or one of his USBs)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Relm USB is way better but only if you can pop it every other turn. Elarra USB is better if you can't, because of the reasons Katarini said and also because Elarra has a lot more things she can do between USB casts.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Wow, the last guy in the corridor of trials is a major rear end in a top hat. Towards the end he took my party from nearly full health to wipe without me even getting any actions. Also having him remove my haste was a dick move. I got him in the end by switching in Emperor's imperil/break USB and by realising that since I made my earth team way back I've gained enough resist accessories to equip the whole party.

I went with OK (pUSB, wrath/entrust), Ingus (Chain, USB, skipped the earth barrier BSB), Tifa (USB with a barrier which is why I skipped Ingus), Bartz (USB1), and Iris (BSB), Penelo USB for my RW (blink, heal, overheal) and Enkindu magicite. That guy spits out so many attacks so quickly that by the end I was just spamming my USBs and using the RW to keep up with the damage. Tifa's USB carrying a hastega definitely helped keep things going, the regen on there as well. All in all it was a frantic fight where no single hit was too bad but they came so fast that my RW/Magicite saved my hiney sometimes, and I'm surprised it ended before my chain did because it felt like a much longer tug of war,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I didn't realise the earth banner was a lucky draw so I pulled on it and got 1/11 dupe Cinque bsb. The absolutely worst possible pull