Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kikas posted:

If anything this shows how bad the video game voice actors situation is. If as a VA you have to go as low as this game, the situation is dire.
I mean writing bad dialogue in video games is nothing new, but having people read it out loud? That's just cruelty.

I dunno if it speaks to the profession as a whole as much as it speaks to buying what you can afford. As much as I hate to go to bat for such a tone-deaf kusoge, in complete fairness, small-time youtube people and no capacity to master audio or control the quality of the base recording is probably all their budget could get.

How do you frame it... remember Where the Water Tastes Like Wine? (lol.) The game where the devs hired the lead singer from Sting to narrate their game for $100,000 when the rest of the game cost $20k to develop. There's kind of a price gulf where you can get some guy off Fiverr to record twenty minutes of audio, or find various amateur voice talent off yt or other small projects, and that'll cost you very little and you'll probably get exactly what you pay for. But if you want professional talent, you're gonna have to shell out five, six figures.

•••

There's a sinister possibility here, too, of course, which is that they didn't pay their voice actors at all and got their cast on the promise of "exposure." But I'd like to give even this team the benefit of the doubt that they're at least decent people outside of their game.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/N8_The_Gamer/status/1086149909944979457

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

just like all the rest of the references then

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, I'd rather have a slew of Russian hentai puzzle games than any single thing that Yiik fucker makes again.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Oh, hey, that's is the game whose website is literally waifubartending.com! poo poo ALL THE WAY DOWN

(apparently they just share a publisher, but still, cursed)

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I don’t understand why Va11halla (or whatever) is so beloved when all of its dialog seems awful and it has heinous poo poo like the cheerful robot prostitute designed too look like an underage girl, who the player is supposed to find wackily endearing and not creepy/annoying as poo poo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

some guy on RockPaperShotgun once praised it for avoiding "the usual dregs of anime bullshit" lol

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

And it has like a loving 98% rating along with a sequel. I know people love garbage but how can they love garbage this passionately?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im sorry, people liked Vallhalla for reasons other than it looking like a lost msx title?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Barudak posted:

Im sorry, people liked Vallhalla for reasons other than it looking like a lost msx title?

Oh, that was the reason? Because if you want that (and this might belong in this thread too, it's loving inscrutable in a way I can't tell if it's the language barrier), a dude literally created and released a new MSX game on Steam in 2017.

Seriously. If you boot it up it's actually an emulator running MSX code. He has a second game that seems to be having development problems in the same vein.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Yes, an overwhelming consensus of people and websites praised it for its emotional story and dialog

Both of which were vomited from the depths of an anime convention

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's also got a bizarre, incoherent, and deeply patronizing rant about grief:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UIcy86Pbmg&t=264s

Wow, that was bad. And then to add to the author's tone deafness it immediately jumps to "Giant golden lama that says, 'Lemonade.' LOL"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the use of lovely references in place of actual jokes, plot, or character development strikes a strong chord with people who would write "EPIC WIN ^_^" as a full review

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

It literally has George loving Costanza appear and do a goddamn Seinfeld routine. Not like a copy or parody, it’s just him. It’s been like 20 loving years, maybe the writers could have done some fresher material.

QUICKSILVER’S GETTING UPSET.

Bee Movie would have been a more timely reference.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bee Movie but "bee" is replaced with DeviantArt OC background dumps

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Oh, that was the reason? Because if you want that (and this might belong in this thread too, it's loving inscrutable in a way I can't tell if it's the language barrier), a dude literally created and released a new MSX game on Steam in 2017.

Seriously. If you boot it up it's actually an emulator running MSX code. He has a second game that seems to be having development problems in the same vein.

Hell yeah that dude loving owns.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Really Pants posted:

Bee Movie but "bee" is replaced with DeviantArt OC background dumps

And it has a higher rating score than Half-life 2, Psychonauts and Witcher 3

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Quicksilver6 posted:

It literally has George loving Costanza appear and do a goddamn Seinfeld routine. Not like a copy or parody, it’s just him. It’s been like 20 loving years, maybe the writers could have done some fresher material.

QUICKSILVER’S GETTING UPSET.

Bee Movie would have been a more timely reference.

Is there a video of this? That is incredible(ly bad).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RatHat posted:

Is there a video of this? That is incredible(ly bad).

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783500

I forget which part it's in though, could probably find it by searching each page for Costanza.

..also I don't know if that needs archives or not.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Kikas posted:

If anything this shows how bad the video game voice actors situation is. If as a VA you have to go as low as this game, the situation is dire.
I mean writing bad dialogue in video games is nothing new, but having people read it out loud? That's just cruelty.

The voice actor for the anachronistic hipster is a sexual abuser or something

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

vs

The cognitive dissonance, what the hell man. YIIKES

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

vs

The cognitive dissonance, what the hell man. YIIKES

I wish adult bullies were a thing.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Adult bullying is called harassment, and it's not something I'd endorse over a bad video game.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Some people deserve to be locked in a locker as adults

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Discendo Vox posted:

This is looking absolutely incredible.

Iirc two brothers is playable and completeable, but makes no sense as resources ran out and they had to sort of suddenly terminate the "plot" on a downer ending, like a bad clone of a bad limbo clone. No wait that was just "Brothers".

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons? I’m not really sure what you’re talking about with regard to the ending.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
It hasn't even been a year since Hunt Down the Freeman and already we have another indie game that's reached similar levels of infamy.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A few more screens:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
insecure male video game journalist rpg. based on earthbound but "humblebrag" replaces "pray".

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
pleas stop

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
this makes major minor look subdued and nuanced.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

insecure male video game journalist rpg. based on earthbound but "humblebrag" replaces "pray".

Its so bad that even the journalists it was made for hate it

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I just realized YIIK is about a ginger, bearded, huge nerd, with glasses, named Alex.

Yep, I'm suing. I'm not nearly that insufferable. :mad:

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Dewgy posted:

I just realized YIIK is about a ginger, bearded, huge nerd, with glasses, named Alex.

Those who have read your posts might feel otherwise...
:p

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Deadguy2322 posted:

Those who have read your posts might feel otherwise...
:p

How dare you. HOW DARE YOU. :mad:

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Dewgy posted:

How dare you. HOW DARE YOU. :mad:

Quite easily, really. ;-p

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dewgy posted:

:actually:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh god

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oh no

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011