Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

schmug posted:

sorry to be "that guy", but I kind of saw this coming... wood end grain is an unforgiving bitch.

Glad to see you're back at it though. And trust me, we all have had to re-work things before!

I don't know for sure but I'm not certain the endgrain is to blame here. I definitely did a decent job sealing that, but I kept procrastinating on oiling the face of it so I'm thinking that's where the moisture entered. As and when I redo it, I'd want to seal the ends and do all the oil coats before fixing it, including oiling the back of the boards.

What I might do is grab some short lengths and apply a few different treatments and leave them outside, see what happens to them over a few months.

I won't be redoing the cladding until late Spring early Summer.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

drat, you did a lot of cleaning.
Throw the flipper 50 to burn your old poo poo too.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

been watching “Tidying Up With Marie Kondo”?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TheMightyHandful posted:

been watching “Tidying Up With Marie Kondo”?

Her particular brand of bullshit does not bring me joy

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Her particular brand of bullshit does not bring me joy

Some of the tips are pretty suspect as well. She recommends folding/rolling ties to store them in a drawer where a hanging tie rack (https://www.amazon.com/JS-HANGER-Natural-Multifunctional-Accessories/dp/B00F9VUDW0) would hold dozens of ties and take way less usable space. As a bonus, the ties don't get all creased from folding and naturally de-wrinkle after use using the magic of gravity.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Today was another busy one of sleeping and cleaning. There's been a grillpan sat on top of my fridge that I used without cleaning for like 6 months so the grease was incredibly baked on. I bought some sodium bicarbonate which is sold in the supermarket as "baking soda" but at quite a high markup.

So I bought bulk lab grade instead. I think I bought too much.

Anyway, put in pan and boil

It very much loosened the stuff on the rack and mostly removed the grease (and paint?) on the pan surface, but even this treatment didn't quite loosen it all, and it's going to need another go.

Also, which oval office decided to ship a knife in a pack that needs a knife to open. I mean this is a second knife so I can open it but gently caress.

peanut posted:

drat, you did a lot of cleaning.
Throw the flipper 50 to burn your old poo poo too.

They already asked to take the cardboard to use as kindling for their own fires, but theirs was garden waste whereas mine is like xbox games and tshirts. I'll just spent £300 on a skip when it comes time to do the garden.

B-Nasty posted:

Some of the tips are pretty suspect as well. She recommends folding/rolling ties to store them in a drawer where a hanging tie rack (https://www.amazon.com/JS-HANGER-Natural-Multifunctional-Accessories/dp/B00F9VUDW0) would hold dozens of ties and take way less usable space. As a bonus, the ties don't get all creased from folding and naturally de-wrinkle after use using the magic of gravity.

I've never actually seen her stuff but I have a rough idea of it. I was taught the pile up & keep/throw technique when I was 5, it's not exactly hard to follow, I just added a third "archive" option. Clearing out is only the first step anyway, more important is to have a) a place for everything you want to keep and b) a process for removing everything flowing through your life, like bins and recycling and shredders and burn bags, anything you need to stop things piling up in an uncontrolled manner and help you batch things for disposal.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 6, 2019

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Do you thank each item as you throw it out though?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've often shouted "get hosed" when I've thrown something away that should have gone years ago.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah I threw away literally half my clothes that I was never going to wear again and if I decided to change my mind would be trivial to replace.

Anything, really, that wasn’t either immediately useful or difficult/expensive to replace got lobbed into the garden.

I think that “say thank you” bullshit is for people who need an excuse to let go of belongings because they’re too deep in that materialistic capitalist well. And that’s from someone who’s spent half a million pounds on a house for one person.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 7, 2019

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Re: cladding. Ages ago I put some up on a bit of an outbuilding pump house thing at the back. Very quickly they all expanded and exploded and went to poo poo. I redid it with more expensive timbers and bigger expansion gaps. It's been there a few years but is doing it again only less bad.

A year ago or so I was cladding the soffit on a different bit of the house. I learned from my mistake and gave them very generous expansion gaps. They all shrunk and fell off.

I live in my car now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

It’s like you people have never heard of paint or sealer.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Darchangel posted:

It’s like you people have never heard of paint or sealer.

MY PATINA

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Advise us.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Get the cement board siding that looks like wood.

schmug
May 20, 2007

About what; the doing it part?

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Ooh, my little pretty one, my pretty one
When you gonna give me some time, patina
Ooh, you make the color fun, the color fun
Got it coming on the wall, patina
Never gonna stop, give it up, such a dirty look
I always get it up, for the touch of the older wood
My, my, my, aye-aye, whoa!
M-m-m-my patina

(I tried :negative:)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Buy can of paint. Probably exterior paint, if outside.
Buy brush, 1 or more.
Open can of paint.
Paint. Cover all the parts you wish to have paint. Don't paint the parts you wish to have not paint.
Clean up the inevitable unholy mess.
Admire.

Scrape and repaint every year.

I'm mostly joking. I know JBurnout is going for a look/feel. Something just didn't go right in the products applied, it seems. I wonder if a deck sealer would work better? Might compromise the appearance, though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Loezi posted:

Ooh, my little pretty one, my pretty one
When you gonna give me some time, patina
Ooh, you make the color fun, the color fun
Got it coming on the wall, patina
Never gonna stop, give it up, such a dirty look
I always get it up, for the touch of the older wood
My, my, my, aye-aye, whoa!
M-m-m-my patina

(I tried :negative:)

I, for one, applaud your effort.

schmug
May 20, 2007

yeah for real. I gave a little advise but this is a rad project and am no way trying to harsh. Just epoxying those miters together, if he wanted to do it that way, and a little sealer would have helped tremendously.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Darchangel posted:

I'm mostly joking. I know JBurnout is going for a look/feel. Something just didn't go right in the products applied, it seems. I wonder if a deck sealer would work better? Might compromise the appearance, though.

I bought some oils specific for the purpose, but I kept procrastinating on applying it until it was too late. I did apply a wax end grain sealer but maybe it didn't do the job or was irrelevant without the surface oils.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

I bought some oils specific for the purpose, but I kept procrastinating on applying it until it was too late. I did apply a wax end grain sealer but maybe it didn't do the job or was irrelevant without the surface oils.

outdoor cuts like that are going to try and twist and pull part no matter what, that's why I mentioned the epoxy. The sealer really needs to go on as soon as the wood is dry enough to accept it. I'm sure most of that can be salvaged in the spring... Just going to be some work lol

and I mean to just epoxy the miters. the boards in the "frame" need to float for expansion.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

schmug posted:

yeah for real. I gave a little advise but this is a rad project and am no way trying to harsh. Just epoxying those miters together, if he wanted to do it that way, and a little sealer would have helped tremendously.

Interestingly the border pieces (the mitred ones) haven't shifted at all, except where they're pushed out of place by the boards expanding.

I'm not averse to more enthusiastically fixing and/or sealing joints in general but that seems to go against advice to leave gaps?

I'm also loosely considering how I might take an overlap approach on the edging instead of butting it, without it looking crap (the pieces are too thick to look nice imo so maybe some routing would help)

schmug
May 20, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Interestingly the border pieces (the mitred ones) haven't shifted at all, except where they're pushed out of place by the boards expanding.

I'm not averse to more enthusiastically fixing and/or sealing joints in general but that seems to go against advice to leave gaps?

I'm also loosely considering how I might take an overlap approach on the edging instead of butting it, without it looking crap (the pieces are too thick to look nice imo so maybe some routing would help)

hmmm. yeah you definitely need room for the boards to move, but we are only talking like 3mm or so. was it really humid when you installed them?

edit: or worse super dry and then they expanded? poo poo I dunno. I'm sure you will figure it out.

just keep the thread going. Always curious how people do things in other parts of the world.

schmug fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 9, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

Ah, yeah, I can see where that might be the issue.
Maybe do a few test pieces in your chosen treatment and leave them out for a few weeks before rebuilding the whole thing again. Takes a little longer, but less frustration in the end.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Ah, yeah, I can see where that might be the issue.
Maybe do a few test pieces in your chosen treatment and leave them out for a few weeks before rebuilding the whole thing again. Takes a little longer, but less frustration in the end.

Aye this is what I suggested a few posts up, I just gotta not procrastinate on that too

schmug
May 20, 2007

just tear it down and put up Vinyl :fsmug:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

“siding”

schmug
May 20, 2007

just keep your BBQ a few feet away from it

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

Aye this is what I suggested a few posts up, I just gotta not procrastinate on that too

Ah, so you did. Don’t mind me. Carry on!

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I like your rats, what are their names?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Applesnots posted:

I like your rats, what are their names?

Rex, Brownie, Dorian, and Ratthew Broderick

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

First up, a burst of odd jobs, mostly sealing up some windows and doors, and moving my storage boxes into an unused room (with silica packets). One of the boxes contains a fibreglass resin kit and that meant for an interesting first couple of nights in the bedroom above.

The ebb and flow of a clear room is currently in a bit of a flow, so still lots to clear.

The camera on my phone is shagged so apologies for the poor and spotty image quality, it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I have a plasterer coming round on Friday, so my stretch goal by then is to prep this nib wall which was plastered so loving incompetently in every possible way. Not only was the plaster shoddily applied and overdried causing cracks, but I'm not sure you could make 3 walls less square and plumb if you tried.

So I busted out a gallery of measuring tools and got to work marking out the outer position of new boards properly plumb and aligned with the tiles.

It's a bit hard to tell but there's not much space between this wall and the socket. There is *just* enough room to fit the 12mm I need, but of course the wall slopes so much that the bottom is a good 10mm over from where it is by the socket, so if I align the board as tight as I can get at the bottom but keep it vertical, it'll clash with the socket, and I don't want to move the socket if I can avoid it, and I'm not having the goddamn wall overlap it.

So I cleared the area, donned a respirator, and switched to tools that change measurements rather than take them.

Very delicately cutting so as not to nick the UFH pipes.

Alright so all clear, enough that I can butt the board up against the wall without a protruding section forcing the whole thing over.

Annoyingly there's a bit of a bulge near the top and I didn't fancy cutting all that out, so I hacked away at it with a chisel until it was good enough. Not pretty, but it's being boarded over anyway.

I'll tell you what is pretty though, and that's the dust particles floating in the plane of the laser. You can actually visualise the convection currents from the heat of your hand just held in the air. Sorry but this camera didn't have a chance in hell of capturing any of it.

Some other time (tomorrow perhaps?) I'll remark the floor and ceiling and see about cutting some board to size.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Was he pissed? The first plasterer I mean.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Was he pissed? The first plasterer I mean.

"He" was one or more of the general builders, so probably just poo poo.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 13, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Today I finished prepping the nib wall. Yay!

Grab a plasterboard sheet and mark up for height

Score and a gentle push to snap, then cut the backing paper, nice and easy

Drawing a perfectly straight 2m+ line is something of a hassle, so I busted out the laser again.

Snap!

"Offer up" to the wall, got drat the spots in my phone camera are getting worse.

Mark up the difference and shave it down with a handy plasterboard shaving tool which is very effective.

Back up against the wall, I used deck screws I recovered from dismantling some amateurish furniture I made in my last place, plus a bunch of the spacers I had in stock.

Just about enough room!

loving hell dude, look how far off plumb this oval office was

Rinse and repeat for the next panel. The curve is due to lens distortion.

For the final board I was going to have to put the spacers in before offering the board up since I wouldn't be able to reach in once it was done. Using the laser again gave me a nice flat plane I could use to measure against and set up the spacers with blutack.

They held in place while I cut a new board and fitted it.

Not perfect due to a couple of knocks from handling a huge heavy sheet on my own, but should do the job.

And finished.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 13, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Did you know you can exchange money for goods and services? Like a plasterer.

That's all the plastering in the front of the house finished. Few bits and pieces at the back, one of which is this bowed door lining which I started to strip back. I have a guess now at why it might've bowed in the middle.

My next big attack is going to be to move the spotlights up in my bedroom. They were put in way too low and plastered over before I noticed. It'll require me killing the lights to the room so I bought a work light.

I've also started sharpening things since the number of knifes and chisels etc in the house keeps growing. Sharpened up my chef's knife pretty well with some whetstones, though practice will make perfect.

That's all for now.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Today, among other things, I had a stab at moving the lights in the master bedroom. I had a plan which didn't survive contact with the enemy, but that's OK.

Here's where we start. There's four of these fittings. The line in the plaster above is where the roof starts to slope, about 8ft off the ground.

Turned the lights on and did my best to mark out detected power flow using a variety of electrical meters and detectors I own by this point.

Then I went downstairs to kill the power to them, and discovered they still worked. Turns out my interpretation of the sparky's circuit list was completely wrong.

Some time and much experimentation later I got the correct sequence down and cut the power to the lights.

Fitting removed. You can't tell from the photo but based on the markings this was fitted upside down.

Fully removed, and new work light providing significantly better photography, though the halogens were hot as hell.

Carefully cut a channel without damaging the wire too much, aiming for the circle at the top where I would've liked to place them, up above the plane of the old ceiling. Unfortunately the builder just loving loved dobbing board adhesive over cables so it was going to be near impossible to extract it without wrecking it. He did the same to at least a couple of my network cables too.

The point where it is in this photo is about where I could reasonably get it without a bunch more effort, and the return on the investment of energy and risk of making things worse didn't feel worth it.

You can see by the smilie face marking the previous position how much vertical space I gain just by not being a oval office.

Exploring and adapting plans like this always leaves me beat so I decided to stop here, drilled out the eyes of the smilie (old rawl plugs) and taped up the exposed wires, since I was going to need to energise that circuit for the hallway light.

It occurred to me after cleanup that I hadn't paid too much attention to which wires were in contact when I taped them up, so rather than risk a short or a fire I put in something to stop me turning the light on.

I've been working on improving the use of my time lately and the number of things I have on my to do list can get kinda overwhelming, especially on a Saturday, but the reality is that it's all stuff I should've been doing anyway but was ignoring for months on end, and at least this way I can make realistic choices about how to spend my day.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Today's goal was to rough fill the channel I cut out yesterday, remove the next fitting, and cut out that channel, with a stretch goal of rough filling that one too.

Filling the first one. This filler is rated to 20mm depth and I really just have to get it within 2mm of the surface so I can skim it with the fine filler.

It only looks a little bit like a dick.

Removing the second fitting, yep, definitely all upside down.

Marked out the target location I need to move the cable to using the fitting as a template.

Pretty quickly realised that the cable for this one doesn't go upwards, but sideways. After a very long time of very delicately excavating the cable and cutting a new channel to the target spot, this is what I wound up with. I had to be sure not to cut the cable and also make sure this square of wall didn't fall off.

Much deeper fill on this one, took quite a while to do and used a bunch of filler, but got it done with only slightly aching arms. It's fun to have my putty knife wielding skills come back after some practice.

It looks rough but that's fine, the fine skim goes on top later. Left them both to dry overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol wtf