Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Off the top of my head, don't unruly parents and coaches occasionally earn black cards for disrespecting the refs etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dupersaurus posted:

Two yellows make a red and those are what you mostly see, so just common rule infractions. Straight reds are generally unsportsmanlike behavior and equipment violations, and two of some reds make a black. Straight blacks are super rare and are serious sportsmanship violations.

A handy chart https://everything2.com/title/Fencing+penalty+chart

A better handy chart. click on "Penalty Chart" for a 2-page PDF. The chart you posted is both out of date and names 7 groups of penalties when only 4 exist.

Equipment violations (equipment nonconforming) are group 1s (yellow cards). Unsportsmanlike conduct (offense against sportsmanship) is a black.

Straight red cards (group 2s and 3s) are serious offenses (violent action, touch not on opponent, use of nonweapon arm etc) that noticeably try to tilt the bout and represent actions that are almost certainly deliberate.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKsWxw5NhBs

This is one of the better demonstrations I've seen of the naginata kata from Katori Shinto Ryu. Even without the steel blade that thing is heavy!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’m really not getting the spinning.

What?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

My guess is that it marks a point where it's the swordsman's turn to "win" with a cut to the arm. Instead of trusting the swordsman to not smash his arm the naginata guy just pulls his arm out of the way first and then spins away to become a "new challenger".

Or it's just aesthetics, who knows.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I never got to learn the naginata kata, so I don't know.
These has been practiced for some 600 years and every move has a reason. (Although some may be symbolic rather than practical).
It's also worth noting that these are also the 'public' versions of the forms and as such are the toned down versions.

I actually promised myself that once I passed my 5th dan kendo, I would pick it up again (which I did last month), but I honestly wont have time for the next 6+ months.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

rio posted:

Interesting - I was going to ask what a red or black card (whichever the worst is) would be used for. So it sounds like it’s mainly used for over aggression? How common is that in tournaments?

Over agression will always be a thing. I usually only have to warn someone they are being a punk and they settle down a bit.

Usually its for unsportsmanlike behavior.

I've dinged people for:

Throwing masks/swords after losing a fight.
Deliberate hits after a hold is called.
Joint locks
Hitting people in the back deliberately
Punching people in the head

These are just lovely behavior and people should know better.

In HEMA during competitions having non-qualified gear is tough as we do a full gear inspection before fighters are allowed in the ring. Gear checks for HEMA (at the tournaments I do) are proper mask with front bib and back of head protection. There can be no dents in the mask itself as that seriously weakens the mask. Full gorget with hard front of throat protection. Fencing jacket that covers all skin (I've had people fight in sweatshirts before). Rigid elbow protection. Proper gloves (Red Dragons are now out, even with finger tip inserts), which means no unmodified lacrosse gloves (and even those need to be inspected by the tourney folks and approved), so we mostly see the SPES heavies, Konigs, the ocassional Destroyer Mods, the AF things and very few others, men are required to have a cup and women need chest protection, rigid knees and all skin on the legs must be covered. If fighting steel rigid shin protection is also required.

Feders need to be approved per tourney. Mostly these are the Regenyei, Albion, Black Horse, Chewbowski (spelling is bad), PAvel Moc, Ensifer, Castille, BSK, Darkwood (limited), Comfort Fencing and some of the older Arms and Armour stuff. Other feders can be approved but they need to be approved before going to the event.

T

EvilMerlin fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 8, 2019

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

EvilMerlin posted:

Feders need to be approved per tourney. Mostly these are the Regenyei, Albion, Black Horse, Chewbowski (spelling is bad), PAvel Moc, Ensifer, Castille, BSK, Darkwood (limited), Comfort Fencing and some of the older Arms and Armour stuff. Other feders can be approved but they need to be approved before going to the event.

My club (EHMS) has a policy where the swords used in the bigger yearly tournaments (Helsinki Bolognese Open, Helsinki Longsword Open) are loaned to the contestants by the club, so that everybody fights with similar weapons. This is not a option for every club, of course, but it has kept people from using badly outdated or badly damaged weapons. I think the feders we will use in the upcoming Helsinki Longsword Open are made by Kvetun.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Ataxerxes posted:

My club (EHMS) has a policy where the swords used in the bigger yearly tournaments (Helsinki Bolognese Open, Helsinki Longsword Open) are loaned to the contestants by the club, so that everybody fights with similar weapons. This is not a option for every club, of course, but it has kept people from using badly outdated or badly damaged weapons. I think the feders we will use in the upcoming Helsinki Longsword Open are made by Kvetun.

I wish we could do this. Most of the clubs in the US can barely afford to pay rent, let alone keep spare feders around.

I did this with some Castilles, but they all disappeared...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

EvilMerlin posted:

I wish we could do this. Most of the clubs in the US can barely afford to pay rent, let alone keep spare feders around.

I did this with some Castilles, but they all disappeared...

The universal constant, people are scum. :smith:

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Liquid Communism posted:

The universal constant, people are scum. :smith:

How true it is. Its not like the Castilles were great feders. They were good enough to get people to the point they wanted to buy their own... but nothing else.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

So, here is a picture of my gear:

Jacket: SPES Officer Jacket.
Trousers: Neyman Royal Renessaince Trousers
Shoulder, Bicep & Wrist guards: Neyman
Gloves: Leon Paul Hema Gloves V2
Shin Guards: Random hockey shin guards I ordered from the German Amazon.

Not pictured:
-Mask (SPES, with normal HEMA neck protection).
-Gorget.
-Groin proctector.
-Knee protectors.
-Plastron.

With those arm protectors that jacket is durable enough for feder sparring and as the cloth breathes it is quite nice.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

How was the delivery time from Neyman? I like the look of their stuff, but wasn't sure what kind of turnaround they do.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

How was the delivery time from Neyman? I like the look of their stuff, but wasn't sure what kind of turnaround they do.

I ordered the trousers more than a year ago and they took 2 months over the promised time, the arm guards about half a year ago and they arrived in time, and the bicep guard in November and they arrived much faster than initially specified. I had heard that they had a hard time keeping up with the demand but they seem to have sorted that out.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

So Helsinki Longsword Open 2019 started today with singlestick pools and eliminators. Didn't make it to the eliminators but had some good fights and my personal goal of winning at least one match during the whole weekend I managed to do. The Facebook page has information about the event for those interested, the finals will be streamed live tomorrow starting at 18.00 (GMT+2). https://www.facebook.com/events/297097031075846/

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfYPyhr_Fno

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Watching bits at random, that longsword looks fun as hell, even though I can't quite get my head into the rules or tactics (everyone seems to get really really close to each other despite it being a pretty long weapon?) Any matches you can recommend?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

In modern fencing terms there's no right of way and the lockout timer is super long. Different target areas have different points values and in case of double touch, the lower is subtracted from the higher.

So wading in close and helicoptering at the other guy's head is a solid plan.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

So wading in close
This happened a while ago in Australia (the world's Florida) and I was wondering if that would have been a decent strategy to fight a woman with a long axe: just get as close as I could to her under her reach.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-45053880

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

HEY GUNS posted:

This happened a while ago in Australia (the world's Florida) and I was wondering if that would have been a decent strategy to fight a woman with a long axe: just get as close as I could to her under her reach.
Well, I wouldnt call it a "strategy" because whether thats feasible depends on a lot of variables.

To go back to fencing, one possible opening for this would be when your opponent draws back to strike at you (attacking into aufreissen). If the starting distance is close enough (for a long weapon like an axe I guess the closer the better) and if your timing is right and/or you can close from an advantageous angle its possible. However if you have nothing to bind your opponents weapon, you are betting everything on your timing.

If your opponent stands in front of you in the correct distance, weapon above the head, ready to strike, forget about closing in (unless you can bind his weapon with your own of course).

If your starting distance is not close enough for going in, I guess nachreissen would be the thing to do (once again: english word? There probably is a liechtenauer english-german glossary somewhere...). It means that you increase the distance to make your opponent miss and then instantly go in before he can recover from the attack.

:gonk: I had a look at the video. He wasnt expecting an attack and she went for it right when he turned away from her and concentrated on the cashier - so there is absolutely nothing he could have done.

If he had been ready and primed I guess he would have been close enough to easily close to her left side when she drew back and throw her to the ground.
And seeing how slow and overcomitted her strikes are, nachreissen would have worked too if the distance had been bigger at the start.

On the upside it never stops to amaze me how much the human body can take and still keep on living.

Nektu fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 20, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nektu posted:

Of course it is if your timing is right and/or you can close from an advantageous angle. However if you have nothing to bind your opponents weapon, you are betting everything on your timing.
beats getting hit with an ax, you may as well fight back

quote:

On the upside it never stops to amaze me how much the human body can take and still keep on living.
the hippie woman was only saved by her dredlocks

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

HEY GUNS posted:

beats getting hit with an ax, you may as well fight back
I edited my reply with more details.

HEY GUNS posted:

the hippie woman was only saved by her dredlocks
Nature's gambesons?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Here is the website of the tournament, the scoring rules can also be found there:
http://ehms.fi/hlo-registration/

And here is footage form the tournament with commentary from Matt Galas & Alexandr Stankiewicz, including the finals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfYPyhr_Fno

Edit:
Starting with longsword eliminations, I didn't make it that far. Not really suprising, this event saw quite literally some of the best longsword fighters in Europe, and I have been doing longsword for a bit less than a year. Wasn't the very last either in longsword or singlestick, so I'm happy with my performance.

Edit2:
Also, here is a picture of my longsword gear on me, sans the mask:

Ataxerxes fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 20, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
fyi

https://twitter.com/NSP_DogDivision/status/1086787042606891008

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Own up, which one of you was that. Who posts in TCC?

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Crazy Achmed posted:

Own up, which one of you was that. Who posts in TCC?
Noone here uses such puny swords as in that picture.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

About scoring in HLO, more details can be found in the website but the basics were, if memory serves:
-Strike/thrust to the head, or thrust to the torso: 3 points.
-Strike elsewhere, or one-handed strike anywhere: 2 points.
-Disarm (opponent loses weapon, you maintain yours and open your distance so that you are in measure): 3 points.
-Ringout (you push your opponent out of the ring): 2 points.
-Controlled takedown (you bring opponents three limbs to the ground but don't go yourself) 2 points.
-Controlled lifting (you lift your opponent so that both of their legs leave ground, no throwing allowed) 2 points.

In case of a double hit the main judge could either assign no points (if the hits were judged to be of bad quality), or the difference in points to the one who scored the better hit.
Bouts would end at 10 points or after 3 minutes. Draws were possible, except in eliminator matches or decisive final matches.
There were three assistant judges in each match who would indicate hits with flags, and a main judge who would state the points scored. The main judge could also give warnings for striking after "break!" was shouted, hitting or exposing the back of the head, unsportsmanly conduct etc.
Forbidden areas for blows were the back of the head, spine, back of the knee, groin, foot from ankle down.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Also, there will be more footage of the event coming to Youtube, they released this teaser.

https://imgur.com/ffTP7d3

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Ataxerxes posted:

Also, there will be more footage of the event coming to Youtube, they released this teaser.

https://imgur.com/ffTP7d3

MMMMM... half-swording.

Even if unintentional...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YepWym8pMWc&t=405s

While the first part of the video is also nice ( competition stuff), the second part is something I believe is unique to kendo.
It's ai-kagari-keiko and is roughly translated as 'mutual constant attacking practice'. Kagari-keiko 'Constant attacking practice', whilst also a great tool for building stamina, is mostly used to teach/practice attacking with full commitment and without worrying about getting hit.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Guy Windsor has posted the second part of his Basic Historical Rapier workbook as pay-what-you-want : https://gumroad.com/l/QXXYy

He says the third should be out next month.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 25, 2019

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

ImplicitAssembler posted:

While the first part of the video is also nice ( competition stuff), the second part is something I believe is unique to kendo.
It's ai-kagari-keiko and is roughly translated as 'mutual constant attacking practice'. Kagari-keiko 'Constant attacking practice', whilst also a great tool for building stamina, is mostly used to teach/practice attacking with full commitment and without worrying about getting hit.

Those of us in HEMA do this all the time too. For much the same reason.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Oh, so this is why when the kendo guys used to hire the room above my club it sounded like they would open a portal to hell for about 15 minutes every night. Are both people told to "attack" or is one person definitely attacking and the other definitely counterattacking? I've seen drills meant to teach the same thing in fencing, but generally one person is supposed to have priority.

This is definitely relevant to me because there are a few guys at my club who uncontrollably counterattack/remise, most of the time I land with simple priority but every so often I try to unnecessarily parry the counter and get caught out. Don't you get a lot of minor injuries through little mistakes caused by both parties remising/redoubling/counterattacking (especially as nobody's wearing shoes, my dainty feet would not stand up to that)? Or is this actually safer than it looks because everyone knows nobody is ever going to defend and can adjust distance etc. to suit?

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Crazy Achmed posted:

Oh, so this is why when the kendo guys used to hire the room above my club it sounded like they would open a portal to hell for about 15 minutes every night. Are both people told to "attack" or is one person definitely attacking and the other definitely counterattacking? I've seen drills meant to teach the same thing in fencing, but generally one person is supposed to have priority.
Yea, something like that was my first reaction too.

On the other hand I guess that there can be a point to an attack drill where both sides concentrate only on attacking in a military context: its just a way to get your not-that-well-trained cannon fodder ready for taking as many enemies with then as they can before they go down.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nektu posted:

Yea, something like that was my first reaction too.

On the other hand I guess that there can be a point to an attack drill where both sides concentrate only on attacking in a military context: its just a way to get your not-that-well-trained cannon fodder ready for taking as many enemies with then as they can before they go down.

Crazy Achmed posted:

This is definitely relevant to me because there are a few guys at my club who uncontrollably counterattack/remise, most of the time I land with simple priority but every so often I try to unnecessarily parry the counter and get caught out. Don't you get a lot of minor injuries through little mistakes caused by both parties remising/redoubling/counterattacking (especially as nobody's wearing shoes, my dainty feet would not stand up to that)? Or is this actually safer than it looks because everyone knows nobody is ever going to defend and can adjust distance etc. to suit?
There''s several variations. Usually only one person attacks and depending on the type/seniority the receiver will make it harder/easier. As a teacher/senior, you have the option of controlling the practice and reject any strikes of insufficient quality. It's also used to build peoples perseverance and test their limits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_mBWfdojIs
This is a milder example. Couldn't find any of the rougher ones.

Injuries in kendo are quite rare and are usually self inflicted(sprains, strains, etc). Sure, you'll get the odd bruise, but the equipment is quite protective. In now 19 years, I've never been directly injured by my training partners. Been roughed up a bit in tournaments, but that's about it.

The point is to teach you not to hesitate and attack with full commitment. Doubt (that you will succeed, that the opportunity is there, etc) and fear (of getting hit/countered) are two of your worst enemies.
It is very hard to successfully attack an opponent who is ready to attack with full commitment at the first opportunity.
At it's core, there is no defending in the kendo. Even counter-attacks should happen because you made the opponent attack.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It's taken me like 8 months but I finally have honest to gently caress sword calluses!

Lots of people in my club wear gloves to prevent blisters but some last tiny coal of Catholicism made me deal with the pain and now I can just swing a wire-wrapped sword nbd forever bare-handed. Hells yeah!

Also there's a separate HEMA thread? Where is that? Like give me a sub-forum and I can find it myself.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's taken me like 8 months but I finally have honest to gently caress sword calluses!

Lots of people in my club wear gloves to prevent blisters but some last tiny coal of Catholicism made me deal with the pain and now I can just swing a wire-wrapped sword nbd forever bare-handed. Hells yeah!

Also there's a separate HEMA thread? Where is that? Like give me a sub-forum and I can find it myself.

here in at

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Don’t doxx me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Uh never mind. Is it fallen off the forum or am I blind/an idiot?